Elle

"American Standards & Classics" Cover Album - Pre-Pre-Release Thread

8 minutes ago, takeitdoen said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_American_Songbook

@Elle maybe you can add this straight to the top post since this comes up like every week and no one knows how to use Google except me. :xcry: 

The attitude? A tad too much. Please excuse that non Americans don’t have intrinsic knowledge about some weird ass American songbook. It’s not like Lana said I’m releasing an album of American standards and classics from the Great American Songbook (not that I saw anyways). We could google what that is. She didn’t so what tf were we supposed to google?

Everytime I try to fly, I fall

as @Angelic Tropico pointed out, the Great American Song Book is an assumption. I’m hoping she explores some more “alternative” songs that didn’t make the list! “American Classics” can have a lot of different definitions—especially since the song book does not include any records past the 1950s. 

Edit: actually her mentioning she wants to do Patsy Cline songs is proof that the album will go beyond the Great American Song Book; as none of Patsy Cline’s original songs are in it to my knowledge. 

0-D9-B4-BAE-A7-F2-4-FF4-93-FB-F863-B500-

find someone who looks at you the way Lana looks at Taylor Swift

26 minutes ago, Angelic Tropico said:

The attitude? A tad too much. Please excuse that non Americans don’t have intrinsic knowledge about some weird ass American songbook. It’s not like Lana said I’m releasing an album of American standards and classics from the Great American Songbook (not that I saw anyways). We could google what that is. She didn’t so what tf were we supposed to google?

:thumb3:

Girl, chill. I am Australian - so as a fellow non-American, I also did not possess intrinsic knowledge about the 'weird ass American songbook'. Until I Googled it - specifially the term that Lana used when she said she would release “a digital record of American standards and classics for Christmas”. So I googled "what are american standards & classic songs" and the top result is Wikipedia. Which you actually asked for when you said 

59 minutes ago, Angelic Tropico said:

Can someone explain to me (a non American) what tf an American standard or classic is with an example if possible??

Sorry if the 'attitude' offends you but I'm actually referring to attitude in general, as we have actually discussed the definition multiple times already in this thread so but now you bring it up yeah I don't know why you get a free pass to just drop in and ask what it is without doing any research or putting in the effort yourself. :judgingu2:

16 minutes ago, Mer said:

as pointed out, the Great American Song Book is an assumption.

I guess, but also to quote the Great American Songbook Foundation:

The “Great American Songbook” is the canon of the most important and influential American popular songs and jazz standards . . . Often referred to as "American Standards", the songs published during the Golden Age of this genre include those popular and enduring tunes from the 1920s to the 1950s that were created for Broadway theatre, musical theatre, and Hollywood musical film.[1]

Add that to her release of Summertime which is from Porgy and Bess, and saying she wanted to include Patsy Cline covers the era is just so obvious?? And to answer your question, Puttin' On the Ritz would be considered a classic (and is actually in the Great American Songbook)

3lfQEhw.png

Big Spender, Fools Rush In, Baby it’s cold outside, moon river are the only songs from that songbook I care about omg this album gonna be snoozy maybe.. we need smiler on the album for big spender

LORN - ANVIL [Official Music Video] GIF | Gfycat 

21 minutes ago, takeitdoen said:

:thumb3:

Girl, chill. I am Australian - so as a fellow non-American, I also did not possess intrinsic knowledge about the 'weird ass American songbook'. Until I Googled it - specifially the term that Lana used when she said she would release “a digital record of American standards and classics for Christmas”. So I googled "what are american standards & classic songs" and the top result is Wikipedia. Which you actually asked for when you said 

Sorry if the 'attitude' offends you but I'm actually referring to attitude in general, as we have actually discussed the definition multiple times already in this thread so but now you bring it up yeah I don't know why you get a free pass to just drop in and ask what it is without doing any research or putting in the effort yourself. :judgingu2:

If someone didn’t have any prior knowledge of the book, it would be a common reaction NOT to google “what are American classics, standards, etc...” because what is considered a classic (for example) to some isn’t considered a classic to all. It’s relative and would give no definite info on what songs Lana plans to cover. So why would anyone think googling it (if you don’t know about the songbook) would help? I know you did but not everyone would think it to be helpful so you can’t blame them.

Your attitude didn’t offend me. I just thought it was unnecessarily rude and snarky. The person who answered me first was very nice and polite and gave me all the info I wanted. Then for some reason you came along going “CLeaRly OnLy I cAn USe GoOglE” when the question had already been answered sufficiently. Could’ve been polite but if you want to act like a brat then that’s your prerogative.

Also, why would anyone go through 39 pages of a forum to look for the answer to a question that MAY have been asked when they could just ask it right here? It’s a natural thing to just ask. I’ve explained why a lot of people wouldn’t think to research in my first paragraph so of course people would ask. You’re under no obligation to answer so you could’ve just ignored it.

As for what gives us a “free pass” to just pop in and ask, this is the lanaboards, not the takeitdoenboards. We can do whatever we want even if you’ve got a problem with it. We’re allowed to ask questions regardless of “how much research” we do. For all I know, Lana could’ve specified what she planned on covering in later posts and I just missed it so I’m allowed to ask

It's stunning how some of y'all amost boast with being uneducated culturally because they aRe nOt AmErIcAn. I mean, it's okay to not know things but it's not like Summertime and songs like it haven't been covered a hundred times. This is not some kind of geographically limited knowledge but part of the broad western pop-culture

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

i’m trying to stay switzerland here, but let’s not culture-police people based on their knowledge of a book that was published 60+ years ago and no longer plays an explicit role in our current music landscape/isn’t talked about outside of jazz circles. 

a question was asked. a question was answered. let’s move on. it’s not like this album even exists. 

0-D9-B4-BAE-A7-F2-4-FF4-93-FB-F863-B500-

find someone who looks at you the way Lana looks at Taylor Swift

6 minutes ago, Electric Body said:

It's stunning how some of y'all amost boast with being uneducated culturally because they aRe nOt AmErIcAn. I mean, it's okay to not know things but it's not like Summertime and songs like it haven't been covered a hundred times. This is not some kind of geographically limited knowledge but part of the broad western pop-culture

Wasn’t boasting - just explaining that a lot of people who aren’t from America don’t know about the book because they aren’t American. Its not geographically limited knowledge BUT you do have a better chance at having that knowledge if you live in America hence why the same question keeps getting asked

@Angelic Tropico you have truly exposed me for the brat I am. I just hate incompetance and simply don't find your lazy rationale good enough when there is ample information readily available all across the forum and the internet to define this. There is even a Search Bar in the top right corner, which I use to make sure I'm not repeating a question. I made a joke about people not being able to use Google as you were the most recent of a line of many people that requested an answer, and you interpreted that into a personal attack on yourself. Correct, I am under no obligation to answer someone and I actually really want Elle to edit her post and put it on there as it keeps coming up.

By the way,

Also, why would anyone go through 39 pages of a forum to look for the answer to a question that MAY have been asked when they could just ask it right here? 

It's on the first page, and second page (not the third page though, sorry), and

For all I know, Lana could’ve specified what she planned on covering in later posts and I just missed it so I’m allowed to ask

You could probably just Google it :shh2:

I am honestly very sorry that my humour translates as flippant and abrasive. But as this is Lanaboards I think you're in for a shock if you don't anticipate a level of dry humour. I am flip-flopping over what level of ATTiTuDe to give you but I hope this exchange makes you a bit more resilient to online discussion as if people ask the same questions over and over in real life it gets really, really annoying and makes you look totally hapless. 

I will continue this over private message if you want to fight a bit more or you can report my posts to the moderating team but this is the last time I will respond here as it seems we just have different interpretations of what is good enough when it comes to finding out information, and unlike a definition, this is subjective based on our own ethics. I look forward to you asking more questions in other threads on takeitdoenboards. :bebe:

3lfQEhw.png

7 minutes ago, takeitdoen said:

@Angelic Tropico you have truly exposed me for the brat I am. I just hate incompetance and simply don't find your lazy rationale good enough when there is ample information readily available all across the forum and the internet to define this. There is even a Search Bar in the top right corner, which I use to make sure I'm not repeating a question. I made a joke about people not being able to use Google as you were the most recent of a line of many people that requested an answer, and you interpreted that into a personal attack on yourself. Correct, I am under no obligation to answer someone and I actually really want Elle to edit her post and put it on there as it keeps coming up.

By the way,

It's on the first page, and second page (not the third page though, sorry), and

You could probably just Google it :shh2:

I am honestly very sorry that my humour translates as flippant and abrasive. But as this is Lanaboards I think you're in for a shock if you don't anticipate a level of dry humour. I am flip-flopping over what level of ATTiTuDe to give you but I hope this exchange makes you a bit more resilient to online discussion as if people ask the same questions over and over in real life it gets really, really annoying and makes you look totally hapless. 

I will continue this over private message if you want to fight a bit more or you can report my posts to the moderating team but this is the last time I will respond here as it seems we just have different interpretations of what is good enough when it comes to finding out information, and unlike a definition, this is subjective based on our own ethics. I look forward to you asking more questions in other threads on takeitdoenboards. :bebe:

Thanks for the theatrical response. Again, I’m not offended nor did I think you were attacking me. I know the same questions getting repeated is annoying which is why I’ve got no malice towards anything here. I’m not fighting, I was just explaining why the same question keeps getting asked. If other users’ research methods don’t meet your standards then that’s fine. Maybe just learn to deal with that in your own time. I look forward to your responses in other threads of the takeitdoenboards

70ee59bb674d2b3ceb29138bd5c9e6b3.gif

2 hours ago, Angelic Tropico said:

The original post is dumb cause it assumes that American classic songs are something that is searchable 

Too many Americans getting brave on here thinking we should know everything about their culture when most Americans can’t name 5 countries and when they try to they’ll name Africa.

I wanna be excited about this project, but at the same time the fact that there’s no pre-order or mention of it makes me really doubt that it’s happening this Friday, especially after the whole COCC-September mess and no acknowledgement about it for weeks...

Who would have thought that a singer would be my main source of trust issues:krylie:

z445hpI.png

12 minutes ago, CruelViolet said:

The original post is dumb cause it assumes that American classic songs are something that is searchable 

Too many Americans getting brave on here thinking we should know everything about their culture when most Americans can’t name 5 countries and when they try to they’ll name Africa.

I agree but I think we should all just move on ?. It’s just becoming funny, satire (slightly pathetic) drama now. We have an extra Lana album coming out soon (hopefully) so let’s celebrate that 

tenor.gif

13 minutes ago, CruelViolet said:

Idgaf about the list of songs (although there is a list) but takeitdoen isn't even American ...

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

10 minutes ago, HeadBitch said:

I wanna be excited about this project, but at the same time the fact that there’s no pre-order or mention of it makes me really doubt that it’s happening this Friday, especially after the whole COCC-September mess and no acknowledgement about it for weeks...

Who would have thought that a singer would be my main source of trust issues:krylie:

Me too. I’m hoping everything is still going to schedule but the fact that there’s been no mention of it for a while makes me nervous. I suppose we can’t really compare it to the rollout of any of her last albums though because this isn’t a “real” album. Let’s all just think happy thoughts about it and maybe we will get blessed

15 minutes ago, HeadBitch said:

I’m starting to doubt myself. :excited:

29 minutes ago, CruelViolet said:

Ok, but it's not "their" culture. I mean, most of these classic songs are covered around all sorts of countries again and again so it's not like knowing them is something Musica-exclusive. I'm from Germany, I dont have an above-average interest for Americana-culture, but I know these songs and their legacy anyway. Not knowing about the book is one thing, but assuming that she'll do Britney Spears and Black Eyed Peas is just ... not it, and it's not connected to any (US-)American-specific knowledge.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

Guys, like are we even expecting this album to come out in less than five days without a single mention of it's release from Lana... Don't want to sound mean or anything but am i the only one who thinks this is sept 5th all over again ?