Elle

"American Standards & Classics" Cover Album - Pre-Pre-Release Thread

15 minutes ago, May said:

i can see why tho tbh, a lot of the allure to Lana’s songs is knowing that she wrote them herself and that it’s inspired by stories from her own life/mind because she’s such an interesting person overall, with covers that aspect is lost and she’s just dubbing someone else’s story

I mean, I'm just as much a fan of Lanas music as everyone here, but "her personal stories" boil down to a lot of bad-romance-klischees, which - while enjoyable - are not really that unique or "autobiographic" as she's always made them out to be (at least up until NFR)

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

34 minutes ago, May said:

i can see why tho tbh, a lot of the allure to Lana’s songs is knowing that she wrote them herself and that it’s inspired by stories from her own life/mind because she’s such an interesting person overall, with covers that aspect is lost and she’s just dubbing someone else’s story

personally when I listen to Lana, the lyrics come first and the voice comes second, with covers the lyrics are forced to come second bc they’re not written by her if u get me

How bout try looking at it this way: the songs she covers are ones she connects to on a personal level the way we connect to her songs on a personal level and by sharing them with us, she’s letting the songs she’s formed a bond with do the talking for her. It’s less autobiographical, but it almost feels more personal. It’s like her making us a mixtape but she decided to sing the songs herself. 

75db99d920c2ca66a0ee7e5c2de27df4181ca688

17 minutes ago, recklessdaughter said:

How bout try looking at it this way: the songs she covers are ones she connects to on a personal level the way we connect to her songs on a personal level and by sharing them with us, she’s letting the songs she’s formed a bond with do the talking for her. It’s less autobiographical, but it almost feels more personal. It’s like her making us a mixtape but she decided to sing the songs herself. 

I love that way of looking at it :wub: 

19 minutes ago, recklessdaughter said:

Oh yeah don’t get me wrong I can definitely see it from that perspective! but for me personally the attempt usually falls flat, im not sure how to explain it. The Other Woman might be a good example, it ties in extremely well with the themes of UV (it’s p much just Sad Girl conceptually  but a cover), but for some reason all i hear is the vocal take and I don’t actually try to read into the lyrics or meaning because i know that it didn’t come from her personally. perhaps that’s a me problem, to me it comes across as her reading from a pre-made script.

Doin’ Time is her best cover to me imo because the lyrics aren’t trying to be overly deep so it’s not as though she’s hijacking somebody else’s story, she’s just singing about having a good time so it’s harder to detach her story from what she’s singing about bc it’s something everyone can relate to

I don’t know if this made any sense lmao im lowkey tipsy (and on lanaboards :rip:) but I tried

RVhKIwP.gif

52 minutes ago, Electric Body said:

I mean, I'm just as much a fan of Lanas music as everyone here, but "her personal stories" boil down to a lot of bad-romance-klischees, which - while enjoyable - are not really that unique or "autobiographic" as she's always made them out to be (at least up until NFR)

i can agree on a level, although a lot of us over the past decade have built up this image of Lana of being some small town trailer park trash going across the city breaking hearts and getting into tragic love stories along the way, it’s that precedent that makes her songwriting stick with a lot of us. when she covers a song that precedent is gone and she’s essentially just jumping onto somebody else’s story and personality but attaching her vocals to it

Thats how I feel about it anyway and im definitely not saying im in the right, it’s how I see it tho! :lolliney:

RVhKIwP.gif

still sad that this album might not come out, was hoping she would cover this. considering it's not a standard and it's 'classic' status is questionable, I still think lana's voice would be so amazing on this omg imagine the UV vocals/reverb she could serve

sgopYhV.gif

I love the idea of a covers album but not necessarily one of overdone standards from the great American songbook. Obviously it’s all down to song selection, but if they are all as obvious as summertime I’m not that interested. 

Omg u know what song I wanna hear that I have a zero percent chance of ever hearing done by Lana but would fit nicely on this project?? The river song from night of the hunter. It’s so mystical and pretty and eerie. Honestly I want an entire album of Lana singing eerie swirly cinematic beauties like this. 

7 hours ago, slang said:

Well,  'Lana Del Rey' is not not Hispanic, so I'm not abandoning hope for a release of something till after Feb 2nd (Candlemas). However, hopefully, she'll say something about ASC before 3 Kings' Day (Jan. 6).

i love that you think she gives a shxt and knows all these holidays.

:crai:

it's not happening, it's not coming. it's just another lana project we'll never see, or in about 2 years time.