Elle

Summertime (The Gershwin Version) - Single: OUT NOW - November 19th, 2020

1 hour ago, ivy said:

Love it. 

The vocals (the notes and the vibrato in particular) remind me of The Man I Love:

Especially the parts where she sings “I wanna fly”

Wow yes thank you that's the other song I was thinking of but couldn't remember for some reason.

This one, Wayamaya, Wild One (the background vocals), The Good Life and Thunder.

4 hours ago, LimelightDelight said:

Does anyone think the Daddy and Mammy line was kind of weird? Is that the original lyric? Is Mammy an offensive term? I could be completely wrong. I have heard the term used offensively, but that doesn't necessarily make it offensive. Just wondering, I genuinely don't know. 

Those are the original lyrics in the aria. While the song is a jazz 'standard', The Gershwin Estate actually still wields and exercises an extremely rigorous hold over the rights and performance of the song, which shouldn't/can't be changed without their express permission. It's much easier for artists to just adhere to Gershwin's original lyrics, so most covers include this line.

For example - when Sublime used the opening melody of the song they wanted the lyrics to be "Doin' time, and the living's easy" - the request was denied and the use wasn't granted until they changed it back to "Summertime and the livings easy".

You're correct however, the word "Mammy" has fallen out of contemporary use and is now considered offensive - it should not be used outside its original historical use. 

3lfQEhw.png

31 minutes ago, normanrockwhale said:

Do you guys think that she will release this album on (at least) CD? Just curious, because she postponed COCC due to vinyl production issues

I hope so, I hate digital only releases. If that's gonna be the case I'll design a physical album for myself bcause I definitely need it in my shelf 

20230718-113117.gif

Honey, you make me feel I'm invincible

OMGGGGG, this is slap-your-granny good! :suicide:

Thanksgiving is a week early. We've been fed every course we could possibly want. That VOICE. The visuals. The production. The mood. :legend:

Her Daddy's rich and our Mama's Lana's good-lookin'. :crying:

‘Fucking God bless us all and let’s hope we make it through this.’
~LDR, Flaunt

I looooooove how she sounds her vocals are incredible! a huge fan of the back up vocals too! <3

my only criticism is that realistically im not sure how often ill come back to this right now, simply bc this is such a summer song and here in the UK we're deep in the trenches of fall/winter haha. but once it warms up a little this'll be on my spring/summer playlist for sure! she sounds so good and it's SO refreshing to hear her push her vocals more, especially after NFR where her vocals were much more relaxed

Wq9zHLl.jpg

5 hours ago, LimelightDelight said:

Does anyone think the Daddy and Mammy line was kind of weird? Is that the original lyric? Is Mammy an offensive term? I could be completely wrong. I have heard the term used offensively, but that doesn't necessarily make it offensive. Just wondering, I genuinely don't know. 

It would be weird/outdated/offensive if Lana had written it herself. But the song is from Gershwin's all-Black jazz/opera "Porgy and Bess" from the 1930s, and that's how the characters spoke. So she's just singing it the way it was written. 

I love how HAPPY she looks! Beautiful and glowing and having fun with her friends. 

‘Fucking God bless us all and let’s hope we make it through this.’
~LDR, Flaunt

1 hour ago, Kimi said:

those vocals are flat af and this whole performance is the definition of oversinging. Like how can you shit on Norman and then praise that :biblio:

lmao she barely sings on NFR... but sure this cover is flat, while she uses a whole jazz arrangement including background singers. you should use this
5954ca8bdeaf2c03413be388.png

DYJRPfi.gif c5dd836305cb85b3253fce96ae00741c547fd6fd.gif SH8DzJM.gif
???????, ??? ??? ?? ?? ???? ?????

1 hour ago, Kimi said:

those vocals are flat af and this whole performance is the definition of oversinging. Like how can you shit on Norman and then praise that :biblio:

We're obvi not in the same Universe rn, because that cover is phenomenal !! I have never shit on Norman (that's actually my fave LRD album tbh), but her cover of Summertime slayed. Not sure where you're coming from ?‍♂️ I'm ready for this whole covers album. I feel like Lana is in her pocket rn and this (kinda surprise / kinda last-minute) release is going to rock my tympanic membrane to its core.

OqqaAZJt.png     B4iWPK3.gif     OqqaAZJt.png

12 minutes ago, Dreamboy said:

Again she recorded a cover that's better than the original version. That's what I love about Lana covers, they're ALWAYS better than the original versions.

Chelsea Hotel No. 2 says hi. :gurl:

Lana Del Rey Ultraviolence GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY