Elle

Summertime (The Gershwin Version) - Single: OUT NOW - November 19th, 2020

25 minutes ago, blackestday89 said:

It´s much better than LMLYLAW. I love it.

as a standalone single, I agree. 

But I don't think LMLYLAW is meant to be listened to on its own. I guess it will grow on many of us in the context of the album.

2 hours ago, J.R.OMEGA said:

We're obvi not in the same Universe rn, because that cover is phenomenal !! I have never shit on Norman (that's actually my fave LRD album tbh), but her cover of Summertime slayed. Not sure where you're coming from ?‍♂️ I'm ready for this whole covers album. I feel like Lana is in her pocket rn and this (kinda surprise / kinda last-minute) release is going to rock my tympanic membrane to its core.

but you probably realize that norman is pretty hated in here which is so odd since it will go down as her greatest album next to BTD:P which also is pretty hated in here :rip: Personally i’m a huge Janis Joplin stan so maybe that’s why i dislike this cover so much, although there are so many great versions so :w8ing:anyway i’m just very surprised how this forgettable rendition is so acclaimed in here (and only in here)

4 hours ago, Kimi said:

those vocals are flat af and this whole performance is the definition of oversinging. Like how can you shit on Norman and then praise that :biblio:

I'ma have to stop you right there. I loved loved LOVED the cover but I gotta be honest: the vocals are really quite simple, nothing too exaggerated- she could definitely go way higher on those high notes (not that she needed to, I'm just stating that she could). However, she didn't and the performance itself is nowhere near oversinging, what made the song was her delivery (e.g the way she pronounced stuff, the whole lowkey vintage vibe).

Now, if you wanna talk about the performance itself, the way she "acted"/lip synced, then I'd somewhat agree that she overacted but I guess that was intended- she might've been inspired by some singers from the 50s and/or she was just having fun, nothing too serious lmao 

ezgif-com-crop-1.gif

4 minutes ago, Kimi said:

but you probably realize that norman is pretty hated in here which is so odd since it will go down as her greatest album next to BTD:P which also is pretty hated in here :rip: Personally i’m a huge Janis Joplin stan so maybe that’s why i dislike this cover so much, although there are so many great versions so :w8ing:anyway i’m just very surprised how this forgettable rendition is so acclaimed in here (and only in here)

Yeah, I agree there are a lot of great renditions of Summertime. It's such a classic tune, that's been around for so long and been covered by some of the greatest vocalist in history. I'm glad to add Lana to that list.

OqqaAZJt.png     B4iWPK3.gif     OqqaAZJt.png

i can see how some of you can think she oversang but these were the kind of vocals she built her name on, i think we’re just so used to her whispery/talking singing style she’s been doing since lust for life 

i love you, but you don't understand me.

4 hours ago, daphnedinkley said:

I looooooove how she sounds her vocals are incredible! a huge fan of the back up vocals too! <3

my only criticism is that realistically im not sure how often ill come back to this right now, simply bc this is such a summer song and here in the UK we're deep in the trenches of fall/winter haha. but once it warms up a little this'll be on my spring/summer playlist for sure! she sounds so good and it's SO refreshing to hear her push her vocals more, especially after NFR where her vocals were much more relaxed

It does seem odd that she would release this at the start of the northern hemisphere winter, but for once this is a big win for the southern hemisphere :flutter:

The first time I listened to this I was walking under the trees, shaded from the hot sun and it was beautiful :crying4:

5 hours ago, Kimi said:

those vocals are flat af and this whole performance is the definition of oversinging. Like how can you shit on Norman and then praise that :biblio:

You feeling okay?

You call me lavender, you call me sunshine.

1 hour ago, Kimi said:

wait , is Norman hated here? Anyway I too wasn’t too blown away by the song. 
The instrumentals are so gorgeous though and very detailed, the backup singers are fierce. Lana’s tone in comparison is somewhat flat and I think her voice has been mixed way too loud - It’s so hard to sing jazz properly, I think it takes a lot of actual training and a specific technique and you shouldn’t attempt unless you know what you’re doing, like it’s really hard. Even Amy had her issues when singing standards or standard-sounding songs, and Amy was literally brought up on jazz. 
I’m happy Lana’s happy that she’s helping though, this is important. 

I feel very tasteless posting this but the cover has to grow on me since it's kind of hard to get into it to me even though it is a good one and her vocals amazed me. Idk why, I just can't enjoy the track at all and I catched a rlly annoying flu yesterday 

"ser bella me dio privilegios, pero ser astuta me dio poder"  :makeup:

5 minutes ago, Chestnut Fox Sexy Jesus said:

wait , is Norman hated here? Anyway I too wasn’t too blown away by the song. 
The instrumentals are so gorgeous though and very detailed, the backup singers are fierce. Lana’s tone in comparison is somewhat flat and I think her voice has been mixed way too loud - It’s so hard to sing jazz properly, I think it takes a lot of actual training and a specific technique and you shouldn’t attempt unless you know what you’re doing, like it’s really hard. Even Amy had her issues when singing standards or standard-sounding songs, and Amy was literally brought up on jazz. 
I’m happy Lana’s happy that she’s helping though, this is important. 

I wouldn’t say Norman is hated but a lot of times the COCC thread becomes a shit on NFR circlejerk like once a week and it gets tiring. As for the cover, I really like it although I was lowkey hoping it’d be more similar to the Zombies version. I appreciate it for what it is though and I’m happy she’s dipping her toes into jazz again, and she looks really happy in the MV! 

sgopYhV.gif

29 minutes ago, Marius12 said:

byron just left the comment under Lana’s photo: I don’t think they’re ready for what’s coming...

:trisha:

:toofloppy::toofloppy:

maybe COCC is coming out COCCtober, he liked that comment!!!!!

"Don’t forget me"

2 observations I’ve made

the beginning vocals with the background singers reminds me slightly of Wild One/Color Blue’s opening

her vocals overall remind me of 2012 when she would sing video games really high during the last “is loving YOOOUUUU” I always loved when she used that super high voice and she rarely does so this song being so high is just UGH :wub:

"Don’t forget me"

1 hour ago, Marius12 said:

byron just left the comment under Lana’s photo: I don’t think they’re ready for what’s coming...

:trisha:

Tell her we been ready since September 5th sis