sempervirens

Facebook caught in antitrust lawsuits

"Dozens of states and the federal government sued Facebook (FB) on Wednesday in twin antitrust lawsuits, alleging that the social media giant has abused its dominance in the digital marketplace and engaged in anticompetitive behavior.

The Federal Trade Commission, in particular, is seeking a permanent injunction in federal court that could, among other things, require the company to divest assets, including Instagram and WhatsApp, effectively breaking up Facebook as we know it. The states are also calling for the company to be broken up, if necessary." Source: https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/09/tech/facebook-antitrust-lawsuit-ftc-attorney-generals/index.html

-------

I personally think this is a good thing. I've been annoyed for a while with how Facebook has a stronghold in the realms of social media. I'm especially displeased with what they have done to Instagram. I'm very curious to see how things will end up.

Spoiler

Please move / delete if posted already or in wrong section

banner.png

suffer does the wolf crawling to thee

Just now, Mer said:

i never had facebook but instagram as steadily gotten worse and worse since 2016. The latest update is gross 

i was just looking at their wiki page and their “acquired businesses” list is so long. they buy EVERYTHING mildly successful to curb any potential competitors.

I hate that I have to use that scamming data-stealing website & its messenger because it's where I get my college info and stay in touch with my collegues. I'm permamently deleting that shit first thing when I graduate

giphy.gif

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧✿☆𝐦𝐲 𝐠𝐨𝐨𝐟𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐢𝐬 𝐦𝐲 𝐩𝐨𝐞𝐭𝐫𝐲☆✿✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧✿☆𝐦𝐲 𝐬𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐢𝐬 𝐦𝐲 𝐥𝐞𝐠𝐚𝐜𝐲☆✿✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

Kill the bitch. 

Also, I don't know how many of you are familiar with Max Schrems, but he's kind of Facebook's worst nightmare and if you have 45 minutes, I would really recommend watching his talk on privacy and data collection:

73-wigglytuffhiya.gif

8 hours ago, TRENCH said:

praying instagram becomes its own once again :pout:

Same omg

7 hours ago, Mer said:

i never had facebook but instagram as steadily gotten worse and worse since 2016. The latest update is gross 

Don't get me started on that fucking update ugh..

7 hours ago, 99centlips said:

i was just looking at their wiki page and their “acquired businesses” list is so long. they buy EVERYTHING mildly successful to curb any potential competitors.

80+ companies. This shouldnt be happening, yet it is.

banner.png

3 hours ago, Clampigirl said:

It's funny, everyone thought I was weird for not having a facebook account and more and more people consider deleting their accounts these days lol.

For a few months I deactivated mine and enjoyed it, but ever since I reactivated, I found myself hating it more than I did before.

I'm seriously about to switch over to just snapchat or normal email and texting and calling at this point.

banner.png

1 minute ago, 99centlips said:

we should never forgive facebook for the fake news they spread, especially during 2016 election, especially now with the antivaxxers too. 

That pisses me off too. They promise to factcheck yet they never do anything. They dont take down the misleading shit either. At least twitter fucking flags it for you to let you know that sources say otherwise. Facebook is the reason why fake news exists.

banner.png

2 hours ago, Herzeleid said:

That pisses me off too. They promise to factcheck yet they never do anything. They dont take down the misleading shit either. At least twitter fucking flags it for you to let you know that sources say otherwise. Facebook is the reason why fake news exists.

zuckerberg must be defeated. how much money does these greedy fucks need? i hate them 

im so glad i deleted fb years ago. unfortunately i still have instagram otherwise i'd have no idea what's going on in my friends' lives. they've ruined that platform too. i think the only platform i dont completely hate these days is twitter.

5 minutes ago, 99centlips said:

zuckerberg must be defeated. how much money does these greedy fucks need? i hate them 

Absolutely 100%. There is no reason for one company to be absorbing so many smaller tech companies like that. If they don't get broken up, I bet they're gonna snatch that parler app.

1 minute ago, knives said:

im so glad i deleted fb years ago. unfortunately i still have instagram otherwise i'd have no idea what's going on in my friends' lives. they've ruined that platform too. i think the only platform i dont completely hate these days is twitter.

I need to get around to deleting facebook as well.  Twitter is probably the best social media platform out there. It's simple, not bogged with so many features, the new stories thing was controversial but I actually do enjoy it.

banner.png

3 hours ago, Herzeleid said:

I need to get around to deleting facebook as well.  Twitter is probably the best social media platform out there. It's simple, not bogged with so many features, the new stories thing was controversial but I actually do enjoy it.

ugh the stories thing really annoyed me. but i really appreciate the fact-checking feature *cough* cuz trump *cough*, it has its flaws, but it's better than any other social media i can think of. the biggest issue for me is the people who use it, but you cant really do anything abt that.

So I got FaceBook for it's marketplace feature and the ad targeting is literally scary. I think we should shut this whole shit down in 2022. 

I have and need to use a VPN through work though on my laptop, and it helped a BIT. But still...very concerning on mobile. Might delete the app. I think everyone should be using a VPN tbh. 

Spoiler

also sorry @Elle if my VPN use has been flagging this site or something!

Screenshot-2024-04-17-at-6-31-05-PM.png

who's afraid of little old me?