neonchemtrails

How do you think COCC is going to be received by everyone?

Hi guys!

I was wondering how you all think COCC is going to be received and what the reaction is going to be considering 2020 has been such a controversial year for Lana... probably the most divisive and polarizing time for her and her career. I am super excited for the album but I am really curious to see what the public's reaction is going to be and how this whole era will unfold for her.

Thoughts?

I think it could really go either way. I’m hoping for Chemtrails to be warmly received. She’s been on a steady incline in the critics eyes, and then shot through the roof with NFR. It would have to be really bad for them to rip it to shreds at this point, considering everybody praised the last record so much and it would call to question their own opinions I think. 

2 minutes ago, domandapiano said:

I think it could really go either way. I’m hoping for Chemtrails to be warmly received. She’s been on a steady incline in the critics eyes, and then shot through the roof with NFR. It would have to be really bad for them to rip it to shreds at this point, considering everybody praised the last record so much and it would call to question their own opinions I think. 

I agree! 

anything with Antonoff’s name to it will get favourable reviews most likely, especially following NFR’s acclaim. I don’t think it will outsell NFR, but it may out chart since it looks like there will be less competition (unless Adele or Lorde drop at the same time). 

Screenshot-2024-04-17-at-6-31-05-PM.png

who's afraid of little old me?

I have hopes that it will outsell NFR, and even bring back a lot of fans to agree with each other about her newer music but who knows honestly. 

All I know is I'm impressed at this point and I think it will be different, but all completely in a good way. 

I also hope her message becomes more clear through this album, so we can stop getting so confused and fighting about what she meant on Instagram and all that. She has to put the work in and it seems like she's done that with the album so far. 

My guess is it's not going to get the acclaim NFR did. I feel like with LFL and NFR, she clearly wanted to be validated by the critics but with COCC not that much.

I don't think the record is going to sound like Ultraviolence but I'm thinking it could end up being a similar situation where it's received poorly by the critics while being acclaimed by the fans, since she doesn't seem to be making compromises this time around.

Because of her recent controversies she’s already at a disadvantage in regard to its critical reception (there are always going to be a few biased reviewers). But honestly, LMLYLAW is an objectively good song and judging from the title track it seems like she’ll (hopefully) touch on some interesting themes. I also think it has the potential to pull good first week sales considering her resurgence in popularity.

I think it will be like LFL. Judging by LMLYLAW and Summertime (I bet she will put it on the album) it will be a "hate or love it" album. Some fans will hate it and others love it.

Mfhp.gif

I hope she pulls some more Brooklyn Baby vibes. I wonder how polarizing it's gonna be. I kinda hope she phoenix's thru the bad publicity she received and turns it into something breathtaking. I Can Fly vibes too. 

I'm sure that she'll probably have some kind of rougher start, and that'll maybe impact what the gp takes from her. i'm still seeing all the memes about pole dancing ngl. but what I like is that she probably doesn't give too much a fuck. n I hope she soars thru it. she still somehow gets her numbers thru it, n i hope she does the same.

UV/Honeymoon

I feel like since she's working with Jack again it will be a great set of songs regardless but if it's not anything sonically different than NFR it will be criticized for that. It's too early to tell but LMLYLAW was pretty basic/meh.

i'm really unsure atm– i think it will have to be both up to par with NFR re melodies & lyrics and different enough from it to not get called a redux. i also think it'll have to be really something to earn back the public goodwill that she lost so much of over the past year, or at least to overshadow all that. since we have 0 sense of its sonics apart from LMLYLAW it's hard to know...i anticipate loving it, of course, but critics can be pretty finicky.

aOaIzH2.gif

I think at least 70% on metacritic. But I think COCC will be a weaker album then NFR. Critics will likely praise the title track and the country/folk vibes but will probably pull her up for repetitiveness  with her themes and lyrics. 

Arches are Illusions solid at first glance

seriously tho, it will be like it always is: the reviewers who never liked lana will continue to parrot the popular opinion on her whether that is positive or negative. music criticism (at least by the trades (tho fantano plays this game sometimes) has been dead since the 90's and is now based on clickbait and fandom feeding.) When it was popular to bash lana they did so (even tho BTD was objectively iconic fantano gave it a laughably low score), once the public showed she was popular the trades started playing nice with miss del rey (uv and hm reviews were higher, albeit they still didn't love her and the controversies gave them cover). LFL and NFR were highly reviewed because sites like spin and et all had been using her name for clickbait for years at this point, and they didn't want to piss of the fans and not get traffic as well as lana now had blandly neoliberal politics and social opinions so they tolerated her. NFR got ridiculously high reviews because she was now politcally optimal, jack antanoff was her producer and the trades never miss a chance to blow him (i like antanoff but u kno this is true)QFTC as well as halsey and that other girls stunts in regards to lana accidentally capturing looting, will give critics who don't like lana a lot of leeway to be more lukewarm in their appraisal of the record, The trades will probably play both sides to get maximum clickage from stans haters and those who are both (hi lanaboards). the reviews will be more mixed but they might be positive bc a lot of sites have fired actual critics years ago to hire interns who just wank for celebs in order to fund the clickbait model. buzzardfeed will definitely have positive and negative listicles written by some poor underpaid or not paid intern who picked the wrong year to move to new york city

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/59/40/90/5940903240da03ab6f8c1a9c79a31773.jpg