how was she supposed to ask any questions when lana wouldn't shut up

It was her time to shine and shine she did! :dance:

15 minutes ago, partymonster said:

:awkney:

:azealia:

rmeoRD5.gifvUV63Kk.gif KXksriz.gif

.。*゚+.*.。𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓶𝔂 𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓷𝓽𝓲𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓵𝓪𝓬𝓮 𝓲𝓼 𝓬𝓪𝓽𝓬𝓱𝓲𝓷'

𝓸𝓷 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓬𝓱𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓵𝓲𝓮𝓻...゚+..。*゚+

Okay this interview was obviously a mess and she sounded all over the place, but I also think she made a lot of reasonable points that people will take out of context. The only really cringey parts where when she brought up race again, I don't know why she keeps doing that. We know she's not racist so she needs to stop overly explaining that she's not because the general public won't take the time to understand her and she's gonna get thoroughly dragged. What she was saying about Trump's delusions of grandeur, and how the people storming the capitol think that they're a part of a revolution and they have so much disassociated rage were really interesting. She is also right that Trump didn't cause all of this, it's been brewing forever. He did of course encourage it to come out in people. I also agree with her that self-obsession is such a huge problem and it contributes greatly to the climate crisis and the horrors of capitalism. I don't think she was implying that narcissism is worse than climate change or capitalism, but rather a cause of these things and should be viewed as seriously.

I really do hope she's okay, and also think the title track offered some insight to how she's feeling. In the song it's like she's asking us to let her be, because in the grand scheme of things she's doing nothing wrong and is tired of being judged for being who she is. Lana will always be misunderstood and even if it's often her own doing, that doesn't mean she deserves the aggressive hate that gets thrown at her. 

Thankfully, her art is way too powerful for any of these controversies to ruin her reputation. In the future, as people continue to evaluate her contributions to music without the bias of her drama, it will be very clear that she's an icon.

I actually understood everything she meant. And I kinda agree with Lizzy. She is not dismissing the problem of capitalism but is more so pointing it's root. Narcissism is where it all starts. And the madness of Trump has exposed so many people and their true intentions through out this year and through out his presidency. I liked her commentary on that. She even agreed that her behaviour can be quite impulsive and reactive. I don't know why people find it "problematic". It's just the fact that she jumps from one topic to another that is super confusing. 

-Homeland of the Gods-

The fact that they apparently where on a video call, imagine being Annie Mac and trying to keep a straight face while talking at her "mmh", "yeah, sure", "that's right", and at the same time trying to decipher what the hell was the idea she was trying to create in her head. Definetly a special interview.

8nl2OpX.png

normalise saying "im not really sure how to word my point right now given the time constraints or the restrictions of my on-the-spot articulation abilities" so that people like lana don't show their asses like this constantly ?

what i think lana might have been trying to say:

"Climate change is a really big issue, just like capitalism - but having Trump in office really brought to the forefront of the public consciousness the ways that narcissism and sociopathy allow these issues to continue and develop. We should pay attention to the ills of climate change and the effects of a capitalistic society, but when we are giving massive amounts of power to individuals we should also inspect those individuals for displays of narcissism and sociopathy - how can we expect someone to heal communities or an entire country if they are narcissists that only think of themselves, or sociopaths that have no remorse for their actions?"

what lana came across as saying to someone who is not a fan:

"As a privileged rich white woman who has shown time and time again that she is ignorant and certainly that she cannot take constructive criticism - hence the fact that I spent half of this interview trying to prove how totally not racist I am - I am dismissing the issue of climate change and pinning the terrifyingly catastrophic state of the world on some abstract strain of ~narcissism~ because I care more about making a fake deep point and providing an enticing pseudo-philiosphical headline and soundbite than being responsible with my platform. This will likely cause uproar and I know it. I do not care to find out why this will upset people."

what i think lana might have been trying to say, part two:

"The madness of Trump really emboldened a lot of very bad people. As bad as his presidency was, the one thing we can take away from it is that it exposed a lot of people for who they really are - some famous people, some acquaintances, some people we may even have been close to. Having Trump in office made these people feel free to be as racist, homophobic, transphobic, misogynistic and xenophobic as they wanted to be, because he did the same. This isn't good, but it proves that we still have a very long way to go and a very hard battle to fight. I'm glad we had more of a spotlight on social justice, but it's a shame it came around because of someone as evil as Trump taking office."

what lana came across as saying to someone who is not a fan, part two:

"Trump's presidency was terrible. He is responsible for thousands of deaths - some due to his poor handling of COVID, some due to hate crimes that he emboldened his followers and supporters to carry out, some due to police brutality that he did absolutely nothing to tackle and in many cases encouraged, some due to the absolute poverty many Americans are living in, some due to stress-related organ failures as many American citizens work themselves quite literally to death. He is a fascist. He is an alleged rapist. He is awful. He has inspired hatred in thousands, if not millions, of Americans. However, literally none of this will ever affect me as I live in my bubble of LA millionaire privilege. Because of this, I will say that his presidency 'had to happen'. How else would my rich valley girl eyes have been opened if not for a literal fascist becoming President leading to the deaths of thousands of people? It means nothing to me that marginalised people have been living this reality since before he even ran for President. Thank goodness he came into power so that I and my matcha tea IG baddie friends could learn just a little bit about the real world. Yep, it totally had to happen!!! :D"

Now, let me be very very clear - I'm not saying this is entirely how her words came across to me. I'm just trying to put across extreme examples of how her words might seem to people that don't know her better - especially given the current social climate, where things are so hard for everybody and Trump has a hell of a lot to answer for. It is extremely fair for people to be mad over what she said, whether they are fans, non-fans, members of the general public, or even haters tbh. Lana is an extremely privileged woman who has had the luxury of ignorance (something she's displayed a lot of recently) while people are really really suffering. People are angry and are turning on the idea of celebrities in general tbh - so naturally many people are going to react to the absolutely ignorant words of a millionaire white lady with some level of hostility because people are going through hell, and hearing the words "it had to happen" regarding Trump's presidency - something that has destroyed the lives of a ridiculous number of people, as well as enabled hate crime and violence in the streets and in the Capitol - is going to trigger something in a lot of people.

Nobody has to be perfect. Hell, I don't think anyone can be! But there is a lot to be said for sensitivity and solidarity. No matter how deep and profound your potentially-controversial thought might be in your brain, if you're someone in Lana's position and you're on a huge platform on live radio with thousands listening and you can't word it without it coming across as insulting to the average working class person while on the spot..... maybe save it for when you can really articulate it and give it the nuance it deserves. That way, you're less likely to hurt people and more likely to be understood and potentially put a really necessary perspective out there! Who knows.

Also, about that "out of context" headline - the context really doesn't make it much better. Please don't harass the writer of the article. She said those words, they didn't lie about her. Clickbait is a given in journalism now sadly. Context or no context, people are gonna be furious with what Lana said. The headline isn't a good look but again, it's a direct quote from her so... yknow.

Wq9zHLl.jpg

'if you're a jerk and everybody tells you you're a jerk and you have no idea you're a jerk now we have to finally address this big issue in the world with what do we do with people hurting other people' and other general comments about delusions of grandeur etc.

the hypocrisy :crai:

lanasigfinal_zpsfd0fc6ee.png

11 minutes ago, daphnedinkley said:

normalise saying "im not really sure how to word my point right now given the time constraints or the restrictions of my on-the-spot articulation abilities" so that people like lana don't show their asses like this constantly ?

what i think lana might have been trying to say:

"Climate change is a really big issue, just like capitalism - but having Trump in office really brought to the forefront of the public consciousness the ways that narcissism and sociopathy allow these issues to continue and develop. We should pay attention to the ills of climate change and the effects of a capitalistic society, but when we are giving massive amounts of power to individuals we should also inspect those individuals for displays of narcissism and sociopathy - how can we expect someone to heal communities or an entire country if they are narcissists that only think of themselves, or sociopaths that have no remorse for their actions?"

what lana came across as saying to someone who is not a fan:

"As a privileged rich white woman who has shown time and time again that she is ignorant and certainly that she cannot take constructive criticism - hence the fact that I spent half of this interview trying to prove how totally not racist I am - I am dismissing the issue of climate change and pinning the terrifyingly catastrophic state of the world on some abstract strain of ~narcissism~ because I care more about making a fake deep point and providing an enticing pseudo-philiosphical headline and soundbite than being responsible with my platform. This will likely cause uproar and I know it. I do not care to find out why this will upset people."

what i think lana might have been trying to say, part two:

"The madness of Trump really emboldened a lot of very bad people. As bad as his presidency was, the one thing we can take away from it is that it exposed a lot of people for who they really are - some famous people, some acquaintances, some people we may even have been close to. Having Trump in office made these people feel free to be as racist, homophobic, transphobic, misogynistic and xenophobic as they wanted to be, because he did the same. This isn't good, but it proves that we still have a very long way to go and a very hard battle to fight. I'm glad we had more of a spotlight on social justice, but it's a shame it came around because of someone as evil as Trump taking office."

what lana came across as saying to someone who is not a fan, part two:

"Trump's presidency was terrible. He is responsible for thousands of deaths - some due to his poor handling of COVID, some due to hate crimes that he emboldened his followers and supporters to carry out, some due to police brutality that he did absolutely nothing to tackle and in many cases encouraged, some due to the absolute poverty many Americans are living in, some due to stress-related organ failures as many American citizens work themselves quite literally to death. He is a fascist. He is an alleged rapist. He is awful. He has inspired hatred in thousands, if not millions, of Americans. However, literally none of this will ever affect me as I live in my bubble of LA millionaire privilege. Because of this, I will say that his presidency 'had to happen'. How else would my rich valley girl eyes have been opened if not for a literal fascist becoming President leading to the deaths of thousands of people? It means nothing to me that marginalised people have been living this reality since before he even ran for President. Thank goodness he came into power so that I and my matcha tea IG baddie friends could learn just a little bit about the real world. Yep, it totally had to happen!!! :D"

Now, let me be very very clear - I'm not saying this is entirely how her words came across to me. I'm just trying to put across extreme examples of how her words might seem to people that don't know her better - especially given the current social climate, where things are so hard for everybody and Trump has a hell of a lot to answer for. It is extremely fair for people to be mad over what she said, whether they are fans, non-fans, members of the general public, or even haters tbh. Lana is an extremely privileged woman who has had the luxury of ignorance (something she's displayed a lot of recently) while people are really really suffering. People are angry and are turning on the idea of celebrities in general tbh - so naturally many people are going to react to the absolutely ignorant words of a millionaire white lady with some level of hostility because people are going through hell, and hearing the words "it had to happen" regarding Trump's presidency - something that has destroyed the lives of a ridiculous number of people, as well as enabled hate crime and violence in the streets and in the Capitol - is going to trigger something in a lot of people.

Nobody has to be perfect. Hell, I don't think anyone can be! But there is a lot to be said for sensitivity and solidarity. No matter how deep and profound your potentially-controversial thought might be in your brain, if you're someone in Lana's position and you're on a huge platform on live radio with thousands listening and you can't word it without it coming across as insulting to the average working class person while on the spot..... maybe save it for when you can really articulate it and give it the nuance it deserves. That way, you're less likely to hurt people and more likely to be understood and potentially put a really necessary perspective out there! Who knows.

Also, about that "out of context" headline - the context really doesn't make it much better. Please don't harass the writer of the article. She said those words, they didn't lie about her. Clickbait is a given in journalism now sadly. Context or no context, people are gonna be furious with what Lana said. The headline isn't a good look but again, it's a direct quote from her so... yknow.

Yes thank you for all of this! 

And it's so true. Her words will stop being taken out of context when she puts more effort into them. Fans who relentlessly defend her are literally the ones putting words in her mouth "OMG SHE MEANT THIS, NOT THIS" like okay then why did she say it like that?????

1 minute ago, Ultra Violet said:

Yes thank you for all of this! 

And it's so true. Her words will stop being taken out of context when she puts more effort into them. Fans who relentlessly defend her are literally the ones putting words in her mouth "OMG SHE MEANT THIS, NOT THIS" like okay then why did she say it like that?????

veryyyyy this!! she is a grown 35 y/o woman - she shouldn't require an army of fans to decode and un-twist her words on her behalf. she needs to think more! more thinking, MUCH more listening, and occasionally... less talking PLEASE LANA:icant:

Wq9zHLl.jpg

2 hours ago, Whitemustang said:

To me this has become such a bittersweet release. The new song is so beautiful and the video is some of her best work. But despite her good intentions, Lana sounded so problematic in that interview and I don’t think we should support any of what she said simply because we are fans. I’ve been trying to find excuses for her after her post for the culture but now she’s drifted too far and I feel like I would be lying to myself as a human if I wasn’t calling her out on it. There might be reasons for the way she spoke (she sounded very disjointed, confused and insecure) and I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re linked to poor mental health. 

Didn't she just say in that same interview that when things are good at home everything else goes right and the same goes when things are bad? And afterwards she mentions how she's been surrounded by controversy lately. To me she kind of wanted to imply that not everything's ok in her personal life (please tell me if I misunderstood).

Also don't you guys think she used to be way more well spoken in interviews? Maybe she was nervous but I felt bad for her.

Regarding her constant comments about racism, it really is an awful thing to be accused of something you're not/didn't do.

In the September interview she said she wasn’t sure if the album went were she wanted to, and that’s why she wanted to maybe add dealer, and she confirmed today the album DIDN’T end where she wanted it 

"Don’t forget me"

1 hour ago, ultrarescent said:

I actually understood everything she meant. And I kinda agree with Lizzy. She is not dismissing the problem of capitalism but is more so pointing it's root. Narcissism is where it all starts. And the madness of Trump has exposed so many people and their true intentions through out this year and through out his presidency. I liked her commentary on that. She even agreed that her behaviour can be quite impulsive and reactive. I don't know why people find it "problematic". It's just the fact that she jumps from one topic to another that is super confusing. 

yeah i wasn't bothered because I'm used to talking to incoherent people, addicts, drunks, and I understand what she was trying to say and a lot of it had truth to it. She was also clearly intoxicated.....

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/59/40/90/5940903240da03ab6f8c1a9c79a31773.jpg

is there anyway to listen to this still? I can't find it on the BBC website/youtube

edit: nvrmnd it was behind my ad block lol 

Screenshot-2024-04-17-at-6-31-05-PM.png

who's afraid of little old me?

Honestly that wasn’t as bad as I thought. I feel sympathy more than anything after hearing her talk though.

It sounded almost cathartic (albeit more on the manic side) hearing her talk about the hate she gets. I’m not trying to defend her about stuff she’s done or posted in the past but really why does the general public expect a person of privilege to understand the plight of the working class and the underprivileged down to the tea.

It’s just an unrealistic expectation and I think the conversation should be more centered on why we expect so much from celebrities.

It’s obvious Lana isn’t ill intentioned and I feel like her making the effort to show WoC on the album cover is more than enough from someone that could easily just choose to have the album cover be of her and it have it be artistically justified in doing so. And I’m saying this as a person of color :rip:

The reality is that racism/privilege is much more complex than social media wants it to be and we shouldn’t expect 101% political correctness from people who haven’t been formally educated.

Again not saying that this excuses the fact that some of the stuff she said was a little tone deaf but given her life experience as a white, privileged woman, you can’t expect her to be an expert on the topic.

All in all, it was definitely an off topic subject for an interview that was supposed to be about the album but she shouldn’t be crucified when she chooses to respond to critics who developed these narratives surrounding her to begin with.

Edit:

Just listened to the second half of the interview.

The way Annie mentioned a connection between Lana describing the rioters as wild and there being a line about her being wild in Chemtrails was kinda serving The Guardian interview but

I have mixed feelings about the whole thing.

3 hours ago, HillSongExHomoCantor said:

As a Courtney Love and Judy Garland stan I thought that was an extremely eloquent coherent interview

Idk about Judy but Courtney is highly intelligent and generally articulates very well during interviews. 

She's just a crackhead online. 

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream