partymonster

Olivia Rodrigo

10 minutes ago, BluebirdXO said:

Lana also borrowed many things. Olivia is just a regular teen trying to make her way. I hate that Courtney Love post

I think Olivia doesn't get much artistic direction to be honest. Her album was very quickly rushed, and she's very young. She probably has most things chosen for her and she just says yes/no to them, if even that. So, I can see why it looks cruel for Courtney to go after such a young girl but the issue needs to be called out that a major label is pushing a young artist for a cash grab and in the meantime is stealing other people's work. 

I feel bad for Olivia but also for the other artists who have had their art ripped off by the label writing & producing songs for Olivia.

LORN - ANVIL [Official Music Video] GIF | Gfycat 

4 hours ago, VioletBunny said:

I think Olivia doesn't get much artistic direction to be honest. Her album was very quickly rushed, and she's very young. She probably has most things chosen for her and she just says yes/no to them, if even that. So, I can see why it looks cruel for Courtney to go after such a young girl but the issue needs to be called out that a major label is pushing a young artist for a cash grab and in the meantime is stealing other people's work. 

I feel bad for Olivia but also for the other artists who have had their art ripped off by the label writing & producing songs for Olivia.

Wasn't Sour Prom took from Carrie? Courtney didn't invent the crying beauty queen. Other artists used the same concept before and after Courtney. It's not as original as the Houses of Holy for example (even that wasn't original. It was inspired by a book).

She's an adult and Olivia is an insecure teen. The best way of solving this would have been calling her team on private and even sue if she was so sure that this an original concept.

She credited Taylor and Jack for sampling New Year's Day and I believe that she should also have credited Paramore.

Spoiler

We also could enter into a much deeper discussion. Ideas and concepts are borrowed many times in art. Picasso stole concepts, Balanchine stole it, Elvis did it too. Is this ethical? We're still finding out. 

I don't believe in plagiarism in the objective sense of the word. If you bring to the subjective, I still don't believe it depending on the case, but some people do.

Me and my friends discussed it a few months ago and we arrived to nowhere. 

30 minutes ago, BluebirdXO said:

Wasn't Sour Prom took from Carrie? Courtney didn't invent the crying beauty queen. Other artists used the same concept before and after Courtney. It's not as original as the Houses of Holy for example (even that wasn't original. It was inspired by a book).

She's an adult and Olivia is an insecure teen. The best way of solving this would have been calling her team on private and even sue if she was so sure that this an original concept.

She credited Taylor and Jack for sampling New Year's Day and I believe that she should also have credited Paramore.

Hide contents

We also could enter into a much deeper discussion. Ideas and concepts are borrowed many times in art. Picasso stole concepts, Balanchine stole it, Elvis did it too. Is this ethical? We're still finding out. 

I don't believe in plagiarism in the objective sense of the word. If you bring to the subjective, I still don't believe it depending on the case, but some people do.

Me and my friends discussed it a few months ago and we arrived to nowhere. 

Honestly, yeah. The discussion could go round in circles and I just think it’s evil that powerful industry figures are allowing Olivia to be a scapegoat for money. You’re right though, Courtney should know better than to call out Olivia publicly when it most likely isn’t her fault (if there is even fault to be had). 

ive also never really looked at imagery as plagiarism, it’s a much different experience than listening. 

LORN - ANVIL [Official Music Video] GIF | Gfycat 

going back to it, i have to say that the cursive singing isn't as jaring as i initially found it to be. it's a very enjoyable album after all and deserves its success. now i kinda wished she dropped a deluxe version though, because it still feels too short.

DYJRPfi.gif c5dd836305cb85b3253fce96ae00741c547fd6fd.gif SH8DzJM.gif
???????, ??? ??? ?? ?? ???? ?????

On 6/30/2021 at 6:30 AM, yourolllikethunder said:

Did anyone else watch Sour Prom?! It was so fun! Aesthetic queen with impressive talent and work ethic, we love to see it :agree:

The Happier/Deja Vu mix at the beginning was very nice, Driver‘s License was so far her strongest live performance, to me. Good For U is my favorite song on the album but everytime she performs it live it just doesn’t click. Her live version of it is so boring. 

Listening to her album for the first time (the only song of hers I've listened to before is Drivers License once or twice). So far it's quite good, I'd say! :party:

If I get a little prettier can I be your baby?

Beskrivning saknas.

I believe in Flipside/Is This Happiness?/Your Girl supremacy

I find her extremely overhyped / overrated compared to the material she has released but I see potential in her (Deja Vu, Favorite Crime) so let's see. This album rollout + marketing was one of the best I've seen in ages so at least she's doing something right. 

giphy.gif

43 minutes ago, wildflowerwildfire said:

236233023_854650082125221_68874245264121202539181_944490709452311_25853753582689 

who did it better

Honestly, Hole/CL did it better (I might be bias cuz i love Hole) but I agree that Courtney shouldn't bash a TEEN in public whilst she also took inspiration from Carrie. I feel like she just did it for attention since no one's giving her some these days lol

SIRENS INTERRUPT THE SILENCE

14 hours ago, Yosemite said:

So, this happened (?) lmao

Spoiler

E9or394XEAAXYwW?format=jpg&name=medium

It's insane what's going on with the album's writing credit's etc. Can they all fuck off and stop this bullshit? Ever since Katy Perry's lawsuit regarding Dark Horse everyone wants to be very careful. However since when do you have to credit fucking inspirations? Does the album sound like her favs? Yes, but that doesn't mean St. Vincent, Jack Antonoff, Taylor Swift (except maybe for 1 Step Forward, 3 Steps Back and New Year's Day) and now Paramore should dig their teeth into it?? I was already baffled when she credited Taylor on Deja Vu, when it doesn't sound like or uses anything from Cruel Summer. These credits would never hold in court, if they WOULD that would set off a terrible precedent.

DYJRPfi.gif c5dd836305cb85b3253fce96ae00741c547fd6fd.gif SH8DzJM.gif
???????, ??? ??? ?? ?? ???? ?????