Ultra Violet

Maggie Lindemann

Listing Lana Del Rey and BANKS as her influences, Maggie Lindemann started as a pop artist with tracks "Pretty Girl" and "Obsessed", moving into a darker aesthetic with "Human" and rock influence with "Friends Go (feat. Travis Barker)".

January 22nd is the release of her debut EP "Paranoia", which will continue down the genres of alternative and rock. 

These are the songs already released from this EP:

I have been loving the singles! I can't wait to hear the EP at midnight! I think I might add Friends Go (feat. Travis Barker) too, like she's killing it atm! Hoping to get one of the limited edition Paranoia vinyl tomorrow.

It's Not Your Fault is my favourite after Scissorhands and Knife Under My Pillow. It certainly does remind me of old Avril Lavigne songs, and that's what makes it so good.

I think her music is definitely reminiscent of emo hits from the early 2000's, and probably inspired by it too. But it holds up in 2021 because her voice/singing style is something that didn't exist in pop punk back then. I can listen to it and feel like I'm back in 2009-2011, except her voice is much more like modern pop singers, so she's not out of place in today's music. 

I watched this video and think Maggie's new music fits into this revivial of rock. I'm so here for it. I would love it if this guy did a video about women that fit into this (maybe I'll even do a list), because its obviously only guys that are in this video.

New song is great! I love the style of the music video. 

I'm just so annoyed that all of these amazing new punk pop songs are like 2 minutes long. Don't y'all know that song bridges exist? Sometimes they were the best part of the songs in this genre. 

On 1/23/2021 at 4:20 AM, Ultra Violet said:
Spoiler

It's Not Your Fault is my favourite after Scissorhands and Knife Under My Pillow. It certainly does remind me of old Avril Lavigne songs, and that's what makes it so good.

I think her music is definitely reminiscent of emo hits from the early 2000's, and probably inspired by it too. But it holds up in 2021 because her voice/singing style is something that didn't exist in pop punk back then. I can listen to it and feel like I'm back in 2009-2011, except her voice is much more like modern pop singers, so she's not out of place in today's music. 

I watched this video and think Maggie's new music fits into this revivial of rock. I'm so here for it. I would love it if this guy did a video about women that fit into this (maybe I'll even do a list), because its obviously only guys that are in this video.

Okay i needed this thread and too bad it's not more popular. 

I've followed Maggie since 2016-ish and it was always funny how she went from a basic IG baddie to a punk goth chick.It usually goes the other way around. Pretty Girl music video is peak 2016 basic bitch fashion that it made me nostalgic af of high school

I absolutely love Paranoia except the song GASLIGHT! which I absolutely hate. I listened to pop punk back in my early teen days and watched enough Sims 2 teen pregnancy movies to be familiar with it. 

What I respect in Maggie's music is that the pop punk sound is not ripped off at all, at least not obviously. Meanwhile Olivia Rodrigo (Good For You) and Pale Waves (new album) completely ripped off the old sound and add nothing of their own. Pale Waves' album cover even tends to have a generic early 2000s style. Also I agree that Maggie should've been mentioned, it's probably because her music is not known enough. She's still very small and I don't know anyone who regularly listens to her besides me.  I watch Fin sometimes and he did talk about the misogyny in the rock/metal scene. Women are slowly making a name for themselves but it's not enough, their audience are usually teenage girls and young adults. 

I'm fucking crazy, but I'm free 

93b488e8eb088d879c7e1857356c23ac.gif

On 11/24/2021 at 11:51 AM, shady said:

Okay i needed this thread and too bad it's not more popular. 

I've followed Maggie since 2016-ish and it was always funny how she went from a basic IG baddie to a punk goth chick.It usually goes the other way around. Pretty Girl music video is peak 2016 basic bitch fashion that it made me nostalgic af of high school

I absolutely love Paranoia except the song GASLIGHT! which I absolutely hate. I listened to pop punk back in my early teen days and watched enough Sims 2 teen pregnancy movies to be familiar with it. 

What I respect in Maggie's music is that the pop punk sound is not ripped off at all, at least not obviously. Meanwhile Olivia Rodrigo (Good For You) and Pale Waves (new album) completely ripped off the old sound and add nothing of their own. Pale Waves' album cover even tends to have a generic early 2000s style. Also I agree that Maggie should've been mentioned, it's probably because her music is not known enough. She's still very small and I don't know anyone who regularly listens to her besides me.  I watch Fin sometimes and he did talk about the misogyny in the rock/metal scene. Women are slowly making a name for themselves but it's not enough, their audience are usually teenage girls and young adults. 

Gaslight is the only one I don't like too. And I'm not sure why, I usually like that style of song. 

I agree that Maggie's latest music is more authentic pop punk.

Maggie's music goes perfectly with every sort of pop punk/emo playlist I make. I'm obsessed with Avril Lavigne again (not that I ever stopped, but now that she's making another punk pop album it feels more than justified), and I can't wait for her new music + Maggie's music to be at the front of my most on-repeat songs. 

Really surprised she isn't bigger. Her whole aesthetic is amazing. I think I know her from musical.ly (?) and she seems totally different from what I remember. She feels a whole lot realer than those other TikTok stars pushing out "punk" music just because it's trendy. Her songs are great and I hope she has a successful career :heart:

giphy.gif 

On 12/11/2021 at 10:27 AM, Ultra Violet said:

Scissorhands was my #5 song on Spotify this year :flutter:

Omg sis me too. I was surprised but at the same time that was my go-to song whenever I want to transition from pop to rock/metal or vise versa when listening to music. 

It also says that I was the first 2% of people who started streaming Paranoia EP, probably because I was replaying Knife Under My Pillow and waited for the EP, but I didn't like it at first and came back months later and loved it. 

I'm fucking crazy, but I'm free 

93b488e8eb088d879c7e1857356c23ac.gif

The Paranoia EP (more like an album tho lol) is amazing. 

It's a shame it didn't catch the attention of the GP, it's crazy considering how the sound is very current and popular right now and her voice has an amazing pop charm. 

Hikaru Utada • BANKS • Rina Sawayama • Aly & AJ • MARINA • Björk • Kate Bush • Marion Ravn • Carly Rae Jepsen •
Hilary Duff • Charli XCX • The Cardigans • Mitski • Phoebe Bridgers • Allie X • Caroline Polachek • Meg & Dia • Dia Frampton • Olivia Lufkin • Poppy • Grimes • Melanie Martinez • Lana Del Rey • Bat for Lashes • Ayumi Hamasaki  • Paramore • Hayley Williams • Evanescence/Amy Lee • ACO • LIGHTS • Alexz Johnson • Avril Lavigne • Florrie • Flyleaf/Lacey Sturm • Tove Lo • Sky Ferreira • HANA • Daine • Foxes • CHVRCHES • Lorde

On 1/10/2022 at 11:26 PM, shady said:

Omg sis me too. I was surprised but at the same time that was my go-to song whenever I want to transition from pop to rock/metal or vise versa when listening to music. 

It also says that I was the first 2% of people who started streaming Paranoia EP, probably because I was replaying Knife Under My Pillow and waited for the EP, but I didn't like it at first and came back months later and loved it. 

Yes!!! Scissorhands makes it onto so many of my playlists for that reason. 

And same with Knife Under My Pillow before the EP. that one and Scissorhands are two songs I can never skip because the vibe almost always fits. The rest of the EP (I mean excluding Gaslight and Love Songs which I never play) has a more early 2000s rock vibe, similar to early Avril imo. just realising I'm repeating what I said earlier in the thread :smile3: