princessdollie

Ethel Cain

American Teenager reminds me of another song but I can't put my finger on it

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

38 minutes ago, bigspender said:

the way she’s blowing up makes me nervous ?? just bc she really really interacts with her fans most of the time but as she gets bigger ive noticed that her talking to us in our little groupchat thingy becomes less and less. of course she deserves the fame and attention but it’s just the fact that i know she doesn’t really want or care for it 

She seemed a bit bored (or tired) on her Instagram live chat (I joined it for 10 minutes), but I loved that she tried to answer as many questions as possible.

Wowow I am so in love with this album, I've been listening all weekend. The storytelling and atmospheres are just incredible, with so many different vibes cohesively mixed together. Without knowing the storyline, the songs are all individually stunning, and then once you read more about the narrative arc it's just completely wild and somehow all works brilliantly. An artistic triumph through and through.

:oprah:

I've had more than a few listens now so here's my ranking, best to worst: (i'm excluding the two instrumentals)

Top Tier

1. Hard Times 10/10

2. Sun Bleached Flies 10/10

3. American Teenager 10/10

4. Gibson Girl 10/10

5. Ptolemaea 10/10

6. A House in Nebraska 9/10

Mid Tier 

7. Thoroughfare 8/10

8. Strangers 8/10

Low Tier 

9. Family Tree 7/10

10. Famil Tree (Intro) 7/10

11. Western Nights 5/10

Hard Times is the underdog of the album. It gives me a strange sense of sadness, stillness yet contentment. I haven't heard a song this beautiful since Blue Banisters.

Western Nights is still doing absoloutely nothing for me. I think every album is destined to have at least one skip, and i think this will always be a skip for me.

As for the instrumentals, Televangalism is gorgeous and August Undergorund is haunting. Both great additions to the record and i like the opportunity for some breathing room after hearing Ptolemaea, it's a nice pallet cleanser leading up to Sun Bleached Flies. 

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

Never heard a single song by her but I definitely caught up some of the hype from Vietnamese forums / facebook groups with her releasing debut EP "Inbred" last year & they have been talking about this album for quite a few days (but i need some times to marinate myself in the greatness of Florence & Kendrick new releases)

Guess im ready to get myself into another new artist - im intrigued by the cover art already. Gonna listen to her soon.

@WHORE OF TROPICO   ⇨   @SALVAWHORE             

Pokemon Eevee GIF - Pokemon Eevee Flower - Discover & Share GIFs                                   evee-dancing.gif

Bring Me That Horizon — ianime0: Pokemon XY | Eevee Dancing

1 minute ago, Whore of Tropico said:

Never heard a single song by her but I definitely caught up some of the hype from Vietnamese forum / facebook groups with her debut EP "Inbred" last year & they have been talking about this album for quite few days.

Guess im ready to get myself into another new artist - im intrigued by the cover art already.

the new album is excellent and is easily my AOTY

Spoiler

also just a tip from me to you - never use the term "ethel insider" just don't dkasd

5oDY3ok.gif ZLI8w1N.png 5oDY3ok.gif

3 minutes ago, avenue said:

the new album is excellent and is easily my AOTY

Hide contents

also just a tip from me to you - never use the term "ethel insider" just don't dkasd

Lmao i just read the previous page - 

Not her literally seeing each of y'all asses on LB :oprah4:

@WHORE OF TROPICO   ⇨   @SALVAWHORE             

Pokemon Eevee GIF - Pokemon Eevee Flower - Discover & Share GIFs                                   evee-dancing.gif

Bring Me That Horizon — ianime0: Pokemon XY | Eevee Dancing

The way Preacher’s Daughter got long ass songs but there isn’t a single song that feels like it’s too long / drags on. That’s a talent, not everyone can do that. Thoroughfare’s long as hell but it might be my favorite off the album, it’s just so good. Intrigued about that 20 minute song she spoke of.

qfrWuBl.png

34 minutes ago, Whore of Tropico said:

Lmao i just read the previous page - 

Not her literally seeing each of y'all asses on LB :oprah4:

it's even worse cause i'm (as well as @bigspender's) in that little closed discord server that they're in :toofloppy:

single handedly one of the most embarrassing things to recently happen to me :bebe:

3 hours ago, Thunder said:

The “Say what you want” / “I do what I want” part reminds me of “Need You Now” by Lady A 

and the guitar towards the end reminds me of “More than a Feeling” by Boston lol :delicious: this album is pure perfection. 

Edited by JFKs Fine China

Tumblr

Haven’t voiced my opinion on the record yet cuz it’s been a very busy couple of days but I must echo the general consensus: it’s really that good, and there is a high chance it’ll be my favorite record this year. Not a single skip on the album for me. 

i kinda get the argument that sun bleached flies could be the closing song, but I love strangers so much I couldn’t possibly say it shouldn’t be there 

13 minutes ago, TrashMagiq said:

The way Preacher’s Daughter got long ass songs but there isn’t a single song that feels like it’s too long / drags on. That’s a talent, not everyone can do that. Thoroughfare’s long as hell but it might be my favorite off the album, it’s just so good. Intrigued about that 20 minute song she spoke of.

i think it's because the songs all have a classic structure of verse chorus verse chorus bridge chorus, except it's all done very slowcore and she takes her time with dragging it out for as long as possible so because of this it makes the song feel a lot quicker than it actually is because your folloing the structure that most songs have, kind of like if you were to listen to a song in slow motion

idk if that makes sense but, for example venice bitch is about the same length as thoroughfare but because lana covers the basic structure within the first 3 minutes of the song and then proceeds to drag out a long ass instrumental of noise it feels longer because it was unnecesary and pointless

by the way that wasnt a venice bitch drag , i still like the song

3 hours ago, Thunder said:

it sounds like michelle pfeiffer a little bit 

My official favorites are: American teenager, house in Nebraska, thoroughfare, sun bleached flies, and strangers. 

hard times is close tho. It’s a bit repetitive after the first half, but in a way that’s almost meditative and enjoyable

also werk@ another 100 from Sputnik. I’m really hoping pitchfork comes thru and gives it a good score (best new music hopefully). She is playing at their festival so I have to imagine they will give it a review. 

18 hours ago, bluechemtrails said:

Somehow I think Sun Bleached Flies would have been the perfect ending to PD and Strangers is one song too many or out of place. Also American Teenager is too powerful at the beginning and doesn't really fit the atmospheric sound of the rest.

So I tried to rearrange the tracklist in a more harmonic way based on placements of the songs in relation to each other in Spotify's song radio.

The first tracklist considers only the album itself, the other Ethel's discography (recent three albums + Everytime + Growing Pains).

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7Emtcguq49dUZmLB9OQ2qp?si=0219dbc23ab444e5

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1QV5JCOUxiJmgD8a0RQLpa?si=0aa53204009448a5

i would like you to know that we’re making fun of you on the ethel cain discord right now 💖

no hard feelings

3 hours ago, avenue said:

it's even worse cause i'm (as well as @bigspender's) in that little closed discord server that they're in :toofloppy:

single handedly one of the most embarrassing things to recently happen to me :bebe:

the way i thought she was abt to remove me from her private account until she said she was joking 😭 that was ungodly and just like her……. i was shaking for at least an hour thinking “girl i thought you loved me”

giphy.gif