princessdollie

Ethel Cain

Pitchfork may have deeply let us down, but let’s be happy that she also received 2 more scores of 90 from Clash and The Young Folks! :party:

pitchfork also (and I maybe I’m making a generalization here) seems to really not be into anything that could be labeled as slowcore. 

14 hours ago, domandapiano said:

Pitchfork may have deeply let us down, but let’s be happy that she also received 2 more scores of 90 from Clash and The Young Folks! :party:

pitchfork also (and I maybe I’m making a generalization here) seems to really not be into anything that could be labeled as slowcore. 

the person that reviewed pd gave lil pump’s album a 6.9

i think they’re just clowns

5oDY3ok.gif ZLI8w1N.png 5oDY3ok.gif

Gibson Girl fills me w joy, weirdly enough. The clinical precision of the writing, the darkness of the theme, the subtle irony, the melody, the narrative aspect… Exactly what I want to hear. Downright iconic. I love it sm. I think Family Tree is becoming my favourite though. I fell asleep in the car to this album the other day and was on cloud 9 for a solid hour :)

Btw Ashnikko was at her concert like two days ago and looked like they had the time of their life :D 

ZKcaooE.png

FUCK FINALLY sorry for double posting I just remembered what I couldn't pinpoint: this album's theme and musical vibes reminds me strongly of the Prolethean cult of the Orphan Black series. I'M SO RELIEVED if you know you know

ZKcaooE.png

@bigspender @avenue

Do any of you have free to use photos of Ethel? I need some to picture her Wikipedia articles, there's only an older one from when she was known as White Silas.

You can upload it directly to https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Ethel_Cain

Preacher's Daughter is now also on metacritic:

https://www.metacritic.com/music/preachers-daughter/ethel-cain

6 minutes ago, bluechemtrails said:

@bigspender @avenue

Do any of you have free to use photos of Ethel? I need some to picture her Wikipedia articles, there's only an older one from when she was known as White Silas.

You can upload it directly to https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Ethel_Cain

i don’t have any photos that i personally have a right to use but i can ask people who have taken photos for permission

okay so I am obsessed with the record. I got to meet her at the album listening even in Hollywood and she was soooooo sweet, hugged me like 3 times. 

I do wish she wasn't so outspokenly hateful toward lana on twitter but I get it must be annoying being compared to someone else when you want to be your own artist/vibe. 

3 minutes ago, paradisetropico said:

I do wish she wasn't so outspokenly hateful toward lana on twitter

she’s not though :bebe:

she’s even praised lana herself in terms of music

it’s more outspoken hatred of lana stans who constantly compare her to lana even though there’s literally zero similarities and then when she points that out they end up calling her slurs

at a certain point all the indie girlies who make music that's even remotely slow need to accept that lana comparisons are coming their way :rip: it's idiotic but basically unavoidable

not defending the insufferable stans who were being transphobic to ethel they can swallow rocks

7 minutes ago, avenue said:

she’s not though :bebe:

she’s even praised lana herself in terms of music

it’s more outspoken hatred of lana stans who constantly compare her to lana even though there’s literally zero similarities and then when she points that out they end up calling her slurs

I don't think it's fair to say that there are literally zero similarities though. I hear Lana's influence in Ethel's music and that's not a bad thing at all, they both tap into something incredible that most artists don't reach, with an overlap in the themes they explore and the moody atmospheres. Ethel is a very different artist from Lana and much darker, so if people are saying that she's a copy they're just wrong, but to say there are zero similarities is also not true. She may be getting annoyed that Lana is constantly apart of the conversation, but it's really meant as a compliment from a lot of people I'm sure and will only help more fans discover her. No new artist has hit me as hard as Ethel since Lana.

3 minutes ago, DCooper said:

I don't think it's fair to say that there are literally zero similarities though. I hear Lana's influence in Ethel's music and that's not a bad thing at all, they both tap into something incredible that most artists don't reach, with an overlap in the themes they explore and the moody atmospheres. Ethel is a very different artist from Lana and much darker, so if people are saying that she's a copy they're just wrong, but to say there are zero similarities is also not true. She may be getting annoyed that Lana is constantly apart of the conversation, but it's really meant as a compliment from a lot of people I'm sure and will only help more fans discover her. No new artist has hit me as hard as Ethel since Lana.

ok so let me rephrase then - there’s no similar *influences*

lana’s more influenced by the american dream and folk artists while ethel is more influenced by shoegaze artists and religious experiences/trauma

if you feel that they sound similar then alright but i don’t think it’s fair to call it a compliment (even if you mean well) when the recipient is mildly offended by it

2 minutes ago, DCooper said:

yeah Western Nights literally starts with the lines "He's never looked more beautiful/ on his Harley in the parking lot" the Lana comparisons are definitely warranted :delicious: but just like Lana said its so hard when your a new emerging artist to be taken seriously and not just cast as a knockoff other artist and when you only get one chance at making it the comparisons can matter early on so I get where's she's coming from 

tumblr_mlk5fk2dDZ1s6jvbvo4_250.gif   tumblr_otaqmarVHa1u9dqtjo3_400.gif  tumblr_mlk5fk2dDZ1s6jvbvo7_250.gif

38 minutes ago, paradisetropico said:

okay so I am obsessed with the record. I got to meet her at the album listening even in Hollywood and she was soooooo sweet, hugged me like 3 times. 

I do wish she wasn't so outspokenly hateful toward lana on twitter but I get it must be annoying being compared to someone else when you want to be your own artist/vibe. 

how was she being hateful to her by saying that she deeply respects lana and to compare them is to be disrespectful to both of their art? she’s 100% right 

giphy.gif

I said this before near the beginning of the thread but her music really isn’t that similar to Lana’s. There are def little influences but that’s normal cause Lana’s literally one of the most influential artists of the 2010s. For example I do think her music’s Nicole Dollanganger inspired (not to an extreme point tho) and Nicole herself is inspired by Lana, so obviously that’ll translate in some way. But I wouldn’t say she herself is very Lana inspired. There are a lot of albums that have come out in the past years that I’ll listen to and think they’re obviously influenced by Lana, but Preacher’s Daughter isn’t one of them tbh.

qfrWuBl.png