princessdollie

Ethel Cain

6 hours ago, evalionisameme said:

It’s true though-her sound is v v similar to lizzy grant-not saying she’s a rip off but I think the person was trying to make a point about personas 

whoever you are thank you i love ethel no doubt shes very unique but there def is lana influence in some songs in example "western nights"  "Crush"  "Family Tree" 

40 minutes ago, ItsRavenHunty said:

whoever you are thank you i love ethel no doubt shes very unique but there def is lana influence in some songs in example "western nights"  "Crush"  "Family Tree" 

Exactly and it’s not like Lanas persona wasn’t inspired by several film sirens like Rita Hayworth, Priscilla Presley etc 

7 hours ago, evalionisameme said:

It’s true though-her sound is v v similar to lizzy grant-not saying she’s a rip off but I think the person was trying to make a point about personas 

yes because ptolemaea could fit perfectly on aka

On 3/16/2023 at 11:07 PM, Party Favor said:

im currently working on the ethel cain wiki rn and was wondering if she released any songs as singles off of golden age or carpet bed? and if so, in what order?  And since we're once again on the topic of old material, does she not want people talking about it period? I get not reuploading it because she hates it, but for archival purposes, would she not want anything written about older songs? I just don't want to start helping fill out the wiki and then have to delete a ton of pages if she doesn't even want people to know the lyrics or titles of works older than 2019 :deadbanana:

The mass amounts of censorship attempts regarding her deleted music is so silly. People will find and listen to these songs regardless, they're out to the public — that's just a normal part of fame. Having information on them available won't make any difference.

Also, there's obviously Lana inspiration in Ethel's music, even if it's not in every song. I just remembered when she made an account to remove the Lana mention from her Wikipedia page :toofunny: I'd say the Nicole Dollanganger influence seems way stronger though. 

𝕀 𝕔𝕝𝕠𝕤𝕖 𝕞𝕪 𝕖𝕪𝕖𝕤, 𝕒𝕥 𝕟𝕚𝕘𝕙𝕥 𝕀 𝕨𝕚𝕤𝕙 𝕥𝕠 𝕣𝕚𝕤𝕖 𝕗𝕣𝕠𝕞 𝕒𝕝𝕝 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕕𝕦𝕤𝕥

10 minutes ago, Coloringbooks said:

The mass amount of censorship attempts regarding her deleted music is so silly. People will find and listen to these songs regardless, they're out to the public - that's just a normal part of fame. Having information on them available won't make any difference.

It's respectful to not share download links, but she can't pretend those song don't exist, lol.

2 hours ago, Coloringbooks said:

The mass amounts of censorship attempts regarding her deleted music is so silly. People will find and listen to these songs regardless, they're out to the public — that's just a normal part of fame. Having information on them available won't make any difference.

Also, there's obviously Lana inspiration in Ethel's music, even if it's not in every song. I just remembered when she made an account to remove the Lana mention from her Wikipedia page :toofunny: I'd say the Nicole Dollanganger influence seems way stronger though. I'm sure Ethel was really happy about managing to get a collaboration with her. 

And Nicole was a semi-regular on lanaboards so even she was partly inspired 💀it’s not really debatable 

4 hours ago, Coloringbooks said:

Also, there's obviously Lana inspiration in Ethel's music, even if it's not in every song. I just remembered when she made an account to remove the Lana mention from her Wikipedia page :toofunny: I'd say the Nicole Dollanganger influence seems way stronger though. I'm sure Ethel was really happy about managing to get a collaboration with her. 

I totally understand not wanting links to be spread around but if she’s removed wiki pages just talking about previous music, then I’m not about to take my chances and get who runs the Ethel wiki in trouble. Just a bit annoying cuz I like having the info out there for archival and informational purposes :flop:

UguUCJc.gif

leak the barrie-james co-written songs + elvis (2013)

8 hours ago, ItsRavenHunty said:

she doesn’t even listen to lana 💀💀

giphy.gif

her music sounds more like florence + the machine's music than lana's music if we're being honest but even then hayden's music is very different and more inspired by shoegaze and christian rock. i'm very sick of yall constantly feeling the need to compare female artists all the time and not letting them exist as their own artists. 

ↀ  ⟡   last.fm

23 minutes ago, bigspender said:

I do think the Lana comparisons got out of hand tbh she’s def not a Lana rip-off but this is a bit silly considering it’s been well documented that she used to be a Lana stan bsjfj. She’s def been inspired by Lana like many artists but that is ok! She still is her own artist with her own sound. 

qfrWuBl.png

13 hours ago, TrashMagiq said:

I do think the Lana comparisons got out of hand tbh she’s def not a Lana rip-off but this is a bit silly considering it’s been well documented that she used to be a Lana stan bsjfj. She’s def been inspired by Lana like many artists but that is ok! She still is her own artist with her own sound. 

babe i promise i know what i’m talking about, if your “well-documented” means having a born to die cd in 2012 like everyone our age then….. 

she literally listened to ultraviolence once in 2014 and hasn’t since

giphy.gif

14 hours ago, bigspender said:

Yes she does, she used to be a stan and that’s fine. She has tried to distance herself understandably because it gets annoying constantly being compared but she absolutely stanned lana like 2012-2015

1 hour ago, White Dress said:

Yes she does, she used to be a stan and that’s fine. She has tried to distance herself understandably because it gets annoying constantly being compared but she absolutely stanned lana like 2012-2015

this is so funny we’re making fun of u rn

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, bigspender said:

this is so funny we’re making fun of u rn

You rn:
8rReWML_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

𝕀 𝕔𝕝𝕠𝕤𝕖 𝕞𝕪 𝕖𝕪𝕖𝕤, 𝕒𝕥 𝕟𝕚𝕘𝕙𝕥 𝕀 𝕨𝕚𝕤𝕙 𝕥𝕠 𝕣𝕚𝕤𝕖 𝕗𝕣𝕠𝕞 𝕒𝕝𝕝 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕕𝕦𝕤𝕥

1 hour ago, bigspender said:

babe i promise i know what i’m talking about, if your “well-documented” means having a born to die cd in 2012 like everyone our age then….. 

she literally listened to ultraviolence once in 2014 and hasn’t since

I mean I totally understand why she would distance herself from being a former Lana fan cause twitter stans are very annoying and act like she got no artistic integrity and is straight up copying Lana (which, again, she’s not). But the whole “she only listened to Ultraviolence once in 2014” thing is just not true :toofunny:. Just a few days ago I saw a vid pop up of her singing Mariners Appartment Complex a few years ago, and she talked about how she loves Ultraviolence before, and then there’s also her old twitter account. Not gonna go deeper into that but c’mon now.

qfrWuBl.png

Anyways, the Lana comparisons are redundant. @bigspender I do think you should dial it down a bit if you’re gonna act like the voice of Hayden in this thread cause some of what you post in response to people just makes her look bad for no reason :toofunny:. Idk if there’s still an active discord with her in it but if that’s what you’re referring to then keep what y’all are doing in there to yourself… Explicitly posting “we’re making fun of you rn” is So childish. Also one thing that’s been bugging me is that a while ago this thread got closed “per the artist’s wishes” but then I checked the discord and all I saw was you asking one of the mods in there if you should get the Lanaboards thread closed after that tumblr post Hayden made (even tho almost all posts in this thread at the time were positive) and they were like “sure”, so idk why the narrative that she personally asked for the Lanaboards thread to be closed got pushed cause that left a bad taste in people’s mouths up to this day for absolutely no reason lmao… 

qfrWuBl.png

can we pls stop acting like we know the artists personally sksks. it's as annoying as people saying she copies lana. at the end of the day we can argue every artist is inspired by another artist. it's a never ending cycle that artists, writers, directors, etc will always have to deal with because true, 100% originality is unrealistic in a world where there's an aesthetic for every particular niche on the internet. There's swampcore and midwestcore and every -core in between. there's unrestricted access to forms of media that shape what we like and serve as archives for people who may stumble upon it and realize that like that too, or it inspires them.

i know im rambling right now, but my point is that some of you act so pretentious as if you're the artist lol. dont get me wrong, it's fun to 'gatekeep' from the tiktok stans, and there's always going to be instances where you'll see someone straight up copying something instead of taking elements + putting their own twist on it, but good lord. im not to well versed in the ethel-lore nor even pre-ethel, but i think it's a little silly to act like Ethel as a character isn't something that's never been done before. That isn't a bad thing either. Hayden is a great story teller and I love how grandiose her plans are for the Cain universe. shows how much she loves her craft and you don't see much of that nowadays 

UguUCJc.gif

leak the barrie-james co-written songs + elvis (2013)