Ethel Cain

Make the album into a film ASAP the story is morbid and genius :crying:

While listening to it I can easily imagine the protagonist's downward spiral

ย 

eb8fcf3e43206e82abf83c9c01bfcf26.gif

2 minutes ago, Furor Poeticus said:

The Guardian's reviews are trash as usualย :rip:

ย 

LOL they're so annoying, the review is like "evocative, emotional, haunting, intriguing, lyrical richness and atmospheric potency" and then at the end they'reย like jk it's too long 60%

I'll definitely check out her new album

โœง ๐•ช๐• ๐•ฆ ๐•’๐•ฃ๐•– ๐•ฅ๐•™๐•– ๐•ก๐•™๐•’๐•Ÿ๐•ฅ๐• ๐•ž, ๐•—๐• ๐•ฃ๐•–๐•ง๐•–๐•ฃ ๐•š๐•Ÿ ๐•ž๐•ช ๐•™๐•–๐•’๐••ย โœง

Some of the songs remind me of milder songs on Lingua Ignota'sย Sinner Get Readyย especiallyย Man Is Like a Spring Flowerย and that's amazingย 

1 hour ago, avenue said:

this is my project ranking atm:

ย 

PD > golden age > inbred >>>>> carpet bed > smfsp

ย 

:hottie:

ย 

at the moment and always subject to change

ย 

golden age (magnum opus) > PD > carpet bed > inbred > smfspย 

ย 

im not adding the deleted albums but they would surely be in there

giphy.gif

Where do people get these song explanations on Genius, some of them seem to have nothing to do with the lyrics lol has Ethel elaborated on the story anywhere or are these people making stuff up?

For example, on the Family Tree page it says "After the death of her boyfriend Logan in a police shootout following a bank robbery, Ethel finds herself on the run from the cops." but I don't get that from Family Tree at all lol

Iโ€™m new to Ethelโ€™s music but Iโ€™m really loving the album so far. It reminds me a lot of Nicole Dollanganger, Sky Ferreira and even Caroline Polachek at times.ย Awesome dark Lynch vibes. So beautifulโ€ฆ been listening high and itโ€™s been an experience. I also appreciate the long song-lengths. I love the guitars too!! Lana would sound great with production like that.ย Best new music/albumย Iโ€™ve heard in a long time.ย 

d4yQCBo.jpg
The Log Ladyย [to Laura]: โ€œWhen this kind of fire starts, it isย 
veryย hard to put out. The tender boughs of innocence burn first, and the wind rises, and then all goodness is in jeopardy.โ€

She answered my question on her IG liveย :oprah4:

Spoiler

August Underground does NOT share any inspiration with the film apart from the titleย 

That's so interestingย 

ย 

25 minutes ago, zombie girl said:

iโ€™m pretty sure ethelโ€™s good friend added those annotations on genius! sheโ€™s explained the whole story of the album to him but the rest of us are still kind of in the dark about everything that happened in the story, the songs are more of a companion piece of the scenes in the film and book than a complete description but thatโ€™s what they mean to her i guess. family tree is the soundtrack to that part of the story

ย 

Thank you!! Very interesting, I'm so curious to hear more about the film and the book.