Sign in to follow this  
genghis khan

Indie Movies Discussion Thread

@Ultra Violet  @HyperVelvet  :wave:

Anna Biller aside, I always have thoughts on really obscure films that most people don't know about, so I thought i'd made this thread inclusive to everything Independent Movie related 

Here's The Love Witch by Anna Biller for anyone who hasn't heard of it x - a common fave among Lipsters

Post anything related to Indie movies here.  Which, for this threads sake, is any movie that isn't commercial or relevant enough for it's own thread 

157852e4da9ff5b7ec834e7a2eac795d.gif

2 minutes ago, JehovahThikness said:

are A24 films considered indie? I'm not really well versed on that kinda stuff but I loved the Witch and Hereditary so much! I also loved The Love Witch

the witch is absolute perfection! Indie is a hard word to use in film nowadays bc even the “indie” companies-like a24 I think- are backed my major corps $. I think these days indie is often used more refer more to films that experiment w traditional film styles and narratives.

I saw Passing last night as part of the Sundance film fest satellite screenings (at a drive in theater) and it was SO good- I love the novel so was glad to see it get such a good adaptation. Tessa Thompson & Ruth Negga star and are incredible, and Andre Holland is in it (and great) too. And right this moment I’m watching Days of Heaven, a 70s Terrence malick film, and so far it’s great. Goddess bless the criterion channel.

aOaIzH2.gif

not really indie at all but Almost Famous is one of my favourite movies and has been so since 2016, and will remain til i die. reason why i comment this is bc a lot of people don't know ab it and it makes me sad

this movie is the entire reason why im obsessed w the 70s

ive yet to watch the love witch but i remember when it blew up in 2016/17, seeing all the beautiful edits and scenes of it has intrigued me so ill add it to my watchlist for sure

yeah.jpg

46 minutes ago, sexyslutboy said:

@Ultra Violet  @HyperVelvet  :wave:

Anna Biller aside, I always have thoughts on really obscure films that most people don't know about, so I thought i'd made this thread inclusive to everything Independent Movie related 

Here's The Love Witch by Anna Biller for anyone who hasn't heard of it x - a common fave among Lipsters

YES 

Okay. My favourite things about this movie is not only the aesthetic and the story, it's all the effort Anna Biller put in to it's making. 

She made all of the costumes and many of the props like the pentagram rug and the witches altar. She gathered all of the jewels seen worn by Elaine. Detailed in this blog post of hers:

http://annabillersblog.blogspot.com/2011/08/love-witch.html?m=1

And here is some more about the stunning costumes:

https://hellogiggles.com/lifestyle/home-decorating/the-love-witch-costumes-anna-biller/

https://www.thecut.com/2016/11/the-love-witch-has-the-sexiest-costumes-youll-see-all-year.html

My favourite is obviously the multi-coloured two-piece that Elaine wears (in my avatar pic). I actually have the Simplicity pattern for the top part, and I've been looking for a similar multi-coloured elastic/spandex material to use so I can make it for myself  :flutter:

33 minutes ago, Ultra Violet said:

YES 

Okay. My favourite things about this movie is not only the aesthetic and the story, it's all the effort Anna Biller put in to it's making. 

She made all of the costumes and many of the props like the pentagram rug and the witches altar. She gathered all of the jewels seen worn by Elaine. Detailed in this blog post of hers:

http://annabillersblog.blogspot.com/2011/08/love-witch.html?m=1

And here is some more about the stunning costumes:

https://hellogiggles.com/lifestyle/home-decorating/the-love-witch-costumes-anna-biller/

https://www.thecut.com/2016/11/the-love-witch-has-the-sexiest-costumes-youll-see-all-year.html

My favourite is obviously the multi-coloured two-piece that Elaine wears (in my avatar pic). I actually have the Simplicity pattern for the top part, and I've been looking for a similar multi-coloured elastic/spandex material to use so I can make it for myself  :flutter:

anna biller is such a genius and jill-of-all-trades– her film Viva and her short films are also fabulous.

aOaIzH2.gif

Also by the same director (and starring her!) is Viva.  Theres cult-ish sex parties, lesbianism, slightly absurdist feminist critique,  and fun 50's aesthetics. If thats your thing you can rent it for like $5 on vimeo

157852e4da9ff5b7ec834e7a2eac795d.gif

50 minutes ago, sexyslutboy said:

Also by the same director (and starring her!) is Viva.  Theres cult-ish sex parties, lesbianism, slightly absurdist feminist critique,  and fun 50's aesthetics. If thats your thing you can rent it for like $5 on vimeo

Definitely gonna do that as I still haven't seen it! 

8 minutes ago, wild caged animal said:

One of my absolute favorites is Beach Rats (2017)

and as I was looking for that trailer, I just discovered that someone did an edit of that film with one of my favorite songs, Florida Kilos. I am living:trisha:

What spicy taste! Thats quite a film. I just got back from seeing Matteo Garrone's Pinoccio and Nomadland. Pinoccio was unfortunately dubbed as they went the family film route here in the US, but it was enchanting and revolting simultaneously-and the woman who played the Blue Fairy is just a stunning woman, my God. Nomadland was shattering. I anticipated a travelogue on American tundras and deserts, and was given a beautiful rumination on death itself, and what we do in our time till we meet that day. As said in the film-theres no final goodbye, just, "I'll see you down the road". Exceptional work (idk if Nomadland counts as Indie but besides the incredible Francis Mcdormand and David Straitharn, everyone else is newcomers) Pinoccio f*cked me up. There was a Tuna with a serious breathing problem and it terrified me (bad asthma here) but it was fantastic. long live film of all kinds! ;)

Has anyone watched the new film starring Aubrey Plaza "black bear", has to be one of my favourite movies of the past year! I don't want to spoil anything for anyone who's planning on watching it (which u should go do), but damn am I confused.

its a really interesting film, super meta. 

http://churchoffilm.org/archive.html

This site is a small gold mine with lots of indie films, mostly unknown art. Difficult to find but I have found a lot of them on illegal sites. If you have time, you might be interested.

If you haven't seen Gregg Araki's Nowhere I highly suggest it. I can't do it justice by explaining it but if you like 90's queer rave aesthetic this is the movie. It's an absolute trip. 

It was marketed as 'Beverly Hills 90210 on Acid' and it stars a bunch of young stars. Most of Araki's releases are hard to come by but Nowhere is on youtube at a good quality at the moment.