Vanilla Icy

How Has Lana's Music Aged?

Will get killed for this, but "Paradise" is the only LDR project that has aged for me. I find most of the songs hard not to skip over. Mostly because the production sounds very jarring on some tracks, such as "American" and "Body Electric" (even though I do still like this one)

I don't feel like I can relate to "Ride" anymore. Something about the Paradise project shifted for me and I have trouble connecting to it.

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

I feel like her political songs have aged pretty badly like Coachella for example. What's funny is that I find her unreleased stuff to have aged SO well like idk...if she released those songs today I think people would love them. Didn't some of her old unreleased music get a lot of good exposure on TikTok? Her mind :wowcry:

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

Also agree with @Bunny Mozart about the political tracks, although I still adore "Change" (even though it's not political but more humanistic and universal). GBA is the best of the political trifecta of LFL imo.

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

30 minutes ago, Contemplating God said:

Also agree with @Bunny Mozart about the political tracks, although I still adore "Change" (even though it's not political but more humanistic and universal). GBA is the best of the political trifecta of LFL imo.

change and the greatest are perfect political songs cause they're not too on the nose and they can be interpreted in many different ways based on how you relate to them.

i love you, but you don't understand me.

I think it's about the people listening and how their life changed is the reason for it like I can't listen to most songs on lust for life for this reason

In a school full of Azealias I'm a Lana

1c1a8345387d7eb56f9b0d799ec346c2.jpg

BTD reminds me of being a cirngey 13 year old and thinking I could relate to the lyrics, so for that reason I can’t listen to it. But it’s not that it aged, i did lol 

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

𓊔 I took the miracle move on drug 𓊔

⚕️ The effects were temporary ⚕️

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

5 minutes ago, Mer said:

BTD reminds me of being a cirngey 13 year old and thinking I could relate to the lyrics, so for that reason I can’t listen to it. But it’s not that it aged, i did lol 

I find BTD much easier to listen to than Paradise, but I have the same exact sentiment about both. I aged 

Both BTD & Paradise have aged badly IMO (paradise slightly less so bc I think the production is so much better than BTD, but still has some things that feel v specifically early ‘10s to me). but I know there’s plenty of ppl who feel differently. Everything else remains perfection. LFL places itself really specifically time-wise w some of the lyrics (Coachella etc) but I don’t think its actual sound is dated.

aOaIzH2.gif

39 minutes ago, Contemplating God said:

Will get killed for this, but "Paradise" is the only LDR project that has aged for me. I find most of the songs hard not to skip over. Mostly because the production sounds very jarring on some tracks, such as "American" and "Body Electric" (even though I do still like this one)

I don't feel like I can relate to "Ride" anymore. Something about the Paradise project shifted for me and I have trouble connecting to it.

I feel the same, I absolutely loved Paradise when it was released but I probably haven't listened to it anymore in like 3 or 4 years maybe

13.04.2018 Rome - Lana wore my hat! 

Dying by the hand of a foreign man, Happily
Calling out my name in the summer rain, Ciao amore

14 minutes ago, Mer said:

BTD can definitely feel dated sometimes, not so much the music itself but everything surrounding the album. that era of tumblr specifically.

i love you, but you don't understand me.

Born To Die is reminiscent of our cringy Tumblr years, which I know we have all tried to repress for years. I think that inherently dates the album lol

Except for for Video Games that bitch is timeless

tumblr-offofn-R8-LN1qj7kyho1-640.gif

.・゜゜・ ⋆·˚ ༘ * GIVE PEACE A CHANCE  ˚ ༘ ⋆。˚ ・゜゜・.

I don't think any or her albums have aged that badly tbh, if anything the so called cringe lyrics on BTD make me cringe less than some corny lyrics on her most recent work. To each their own.

I'm also not big with passing judgement with a modern/contemporate perspective to judge someone's past artistic work, but I think that's a debate for another day. Like that's such an easy target to chose, how about judging something more contemporate? 

7 minutes ago, Max Del Rey said:

I don't think any or her albums have aged that badly tbh, if anything the so called cringe lyrics on BTD make me cringe less than some corny lyrics on her most recent work. To each their own.

I'm also not big with passing judgement with a modern/contemporate perspective to judge someone's past artistic work, but I think that's a debate for another day. Like that's such an easy target to chose, how about judging something more contemporate? 

Imo, it is absolutely fine to pass judgment with a modern perspective. I don't think any Björk fan is going around saying that "DEBUT IS BETTER THAN VULNICURA BECAUSE I HAVE SO MANY MEMORIES ATTACHED TO IT," or Radiohead fans about Pablo Honey. It's not realistic to not take into consideration change in one's own life an the artist's life.

Y'all gonna murder me but I can't enjoy Ultraviolence anymore. It's still a sonic masterpiece and it deserves the praise it has among the fandom but I've overplayed it since 2016 that I don't even want to revisit it nowadays. I rarely visit some tracks like BB, SOC, FK, ITH and MPG (demo)

"ser bella me dio privilegios, pero ser astuta me dio poder"  :makeup:

Lust for Life is the only LDR album that hasn't aged like wine, imo. That 'trap beat' aesthetic just feels a bit too forced, it doesn't have the same timeless quality as the luscious reverbed guitars or sweeping cinematic orchestras from her other albums. It's still a beautiful album though, some of the songs stand very strongly on their own.

LFL is gonna hit very hard when the late-2010s nostalgia starts kicking in, tbh. I'm calling it :mj2:if we're still alive in 10 years

For me, it is Born to Die. I used to love this album so much, it started my love to Lana, but as Lana was changing, so was my music taste I guess (in the same direction fortunately). Now, I find this album very overproduced. But the biggest crime is what they did with Lana's voice. On practically all the other albums, I can feel that Lana is singing with her natural voice, but in Born to Die, both her low and high ranges sound so unnatural, especially in songs like Off To The Races, Blue Jeans, Summertime Sadness, Dark Paradise, Carmen, Lolita... I think it was not only her singing style, but also weird postproduction effects... I am really happy that with Ultraviolence she decided not to continue this "pop" path... And I am really, really curious how Born to Die would sound is she (re)recorded it today.