Vanilla Icy

How Has Lana's Music Aged?

BTD though a tiny bit dated now still is extremely pleasant to listen to. Some lyrics have aged ("But I wish I dead" makes me cringe so hard) well at all but that's just BC Lana has matured into a better songwriter for the most part anyway. I think some of the themes of BTD are still relatable and only get stronger with age. Video Games, Carmen and Million Dollar Man are timeless. As they carry the classic tropes of love, the danger of fame, heartbreak etc Themes in music that are eternal. They are written in a way that anyone from any age can relate to whole heartedly. Unlike tracks like TIWMUG or Blue Jeans which slowly become less relatable, once you get older and more emotionally grounded. I think that in truth is a small factor in what makes an album dated. 

Anyway thank you for coming to my TED talk. 

tumblr_oizsprgz5s1ux9njjo1_400.gif?w=371                                                                

I think the only album that has not quote on quote "aged well" in her discography is 'Lust for Life'. For starter, it's probably her only album that feels anchored into a specific time and place, with its social/political commentaries/references thrown here and there. But also, like other people have said, the production, the trap beats in most songs, it just screams 2016/17. It sounded easy and cheap back then, and still does now. Even with 'NFR!', an album that I don't particularly appreciate, I think is still going to sound decent in 10 years.

I feel like I’m the only person who doesn’t feel like any of her music has aged. For the most part, her music seems suspended in time, always both classic and fresh. Occasionally she does use trendy sounds that will put a clear year on the release, but it never overwhelms the songs to the point of being unlistenable once the trend has passed. When I listen to any of her albums, I honestly don’t think of the year or online subcultures or whatever associated with it, just the music and the words, and how magical they make me feel. I know I’m probably in the minority here though.

75db99d920c2ca66a0ee7e5c2de27df4181ca688

Production-wise, I would say BTD has aged pretty bad. The singles are still amazing, but I do understand now why critics were saying that the album is over-produced. It's just too much going on and I never fully enjoyed her old style of singing...

I find Paradise more sophisticated than BTD tho. That's why to me, Paradise is a different era and I consider it as being a "normal" album, not just an EP.

Ultraviolence and LFL still stand the test of time, although not entirely.

Honeymoon still sounds amazing & fresh and that's why it remains my favourite album of hers.

Spoiler

NFR! is too "young" to include it for now.

1 hour ago, recklessdaughter said:

I feel like I’m the only person who doesn’t feel like any of her music has aged. For the most part, her music seems suspended in time, always both classic and fresh. Occasionally she does use trendy sounds that will put a clear year on the release, but it never overwhelms the songs to the point of being unlistenable once the trend has passed. When I listen to any of her albums, I honestly don’t think of the year or online subcultures or whatever associated with it, just the music and the words, and how magical they make me feel. I know I’m probably in the minority here though.

I agree completely! There's a timelessness in all of Lana's music. It already sounds classic upon release which keeps it fresh forever. :wub:

7 hours ago, recklessdaughter said:

I feel the same way! I also think the fact that I never really thought about what the cultural landscape looked like in relation to Lana as her records were released helped with that. I know a lot of people associate Born to Die with Tumblr, for example, but I just never happened to be on Tumblr, so the presumed-outdatedness of that didn't affect how I listened to the album. And to be honest, I'm really grateful that I didn't participate too much in whatever was 'hot' in the culture because I'm not sure if I would be able to develop the discerning ear that allows me to pull back and really just appreciate the music for what it is without the 'white noise' that can make music feel dated. I love how Lana is able to dip her toe into various trends and genres while still making the music characteristically her own - and timeless, of course! <3

7 hours ago, Max Del Rey said:

I think the only album that has not quote on quote "aged well" in her discography is 'Lust for Life'. For starter, it's probably her only album that feels anchored into a specific time and place, with its social/political commentaries/references thrown here and there. But also, like other people have said, the production, the trap beats in most songs, it just screams 2016/17. It sounded easy and cheap back then, and still does now. Even with 'NFR!', an album that I don't particularly appreciate, I think is still going to sound decent in 10 years.

not the lfl slander!! lfl is timeless! 

I don't listen to Born to Die as much as I used to. :crossed: Otherwise, most of her work is timeless for me. I adore every lyrics, even the corny or cringy ones. Lana's music always had a special place in my heart because I've always felt like I was listening to a novel. I can always picture the landscape, the action, the protagonists, the story, so every time I'm listening to a song, I just have these images in my head. It feels like I'm re-reading my favorite books. Also, each song gives me a different feeling which I love to explore all over again. It's a really special thing I can't really explain, but I can say that I don't know any other artist who can do the same to me. :crai:

I can't talk about the production since I don't know shit about that, but nothing seems dated for me. But then again, I'm no musician or whatever, so... :stareney2:

Mainly the political half of LFL. It's definitely like a time capsule but NOT in a global way like other political albums of the past were. LFL was like Lanas little awakening moment and that's it.  (Edit: tho I agree Change is an exception. I think it aged better than the rest) 

I think everything else has aged well and will continue to.

I love how BTD is now seen as one of the most defining albums of the 2010s. That's really something. I listen to it to feel the ecstasy that I used to with it. I think the production still stands. Maybe not the lyrics, but the whole vibe did not age to me. Same with Paradise, the vibe? Always the best. The lyrics? Not exactly. 

Because Honeymoon and Ultraviolence didn't even use "modern pop" sounds, they are timeless. NFR might age well, I'm honestly not sure but it's certainly not going to lose its appeal like LFL did, to those who love the album.