Monicker

Minor General Questions that Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

I was checking the amazing masterpost from @@Coyote and there's an alternate mix for Lift Your Eyes listed, I've never heard from another mix and I'm not sure if they are different or not, are they real? 

V1 - https://dbree.org/v/793706

Alt. Mix - https://dbree.org/v/937613

8nl2OpX.png

@TheBoss Super fake. Apart of an old fan compilation mixtape titled '1949' wherein they tried to 'remaster' tracks and make it gapless hence why you can hear 'Match Made in Heaven' intro at the end

Thank you so much! It sounded so strange to me haha :heart:

8nl2OpX.png

Hey guys I have a quick and slightly strange question relating to an article I'm working on atm - do y'all consider Bel Air a deep cut? I mean it has a music video bc of Tropico and idk if any song from a short EP can truly be considered a deep cut, but it's also not very well known to the general public and probably not the first song people associate with Lana?

Wq9zHLl.jpg

Hey guys I have a quick and slightly strange question relating to an article I'm working on atm - do y'all consider Bel Air a deep cut? I mean it has a music video bc of Tropico and idk if any song from a short EP can truly be considered a deep cut, but it's also not very well known to the general public and probably not the first song people associate with Lana?

Anything that wasn't an official commercially-released and radio-serviced single could be classed as a deep cut, even if it has a music video. "Honeymoon", for instance, is a deep cut despite having a music video.

So yes, "Bel Air" is a deep cut.

Anything that wasn't an official commercially-released and radio-serviced single could be classed as a deep cut, even if it has a music video. "Honeymoon", for instance, is a deep cut despite having a music video.

So yes, "Bel Air" is a deep cut.

Fabulous thank you!  :kiss:

Wq9zHLl.jpg

DOes someone still know in which Interview Lana said the songs on Born To Die were autobiographic?

Whoops! When I came back to this thread after researching I realized you'd only asked about BTD specifically. Anyway, the better question is when hasn't Lana talked about her music being autobiographical. Here is a non-exhaustive list of instances in interviews where Lana, or an interviewer paraphrasing her, has specifically used the word "autobiographical" to describe her music:

Her early songs

"autobiographical and very dark" source

AKA

"my first songs were pretty autobiographical... I talked about a lot of stuff in my first record" source

"my first LP with David Kahne... was unconventional, autobiographical and cinematic" source

"my first record, it was autobiographical and beautiful" source

BTD

"dark, autobiographical, glamorous and something like exuberant and cinematographic" source

"my new songs are still autobiographical and cinematic" source

"consistently autobiographical" source

"As for subject matter, she's sticking to the autobiographical: 'Love is the easiest thing to write about, because I know it well....And loss is just as easy, because I know it well too.'" source

"Ride"

"That's autobiographical! ...It's about my own life" source

"her “Ride” video, which she tells me is autobiographical" source

"Ultraviolence" (song)

"autobiographical elements" source

"She’s vague on whether this theme might be autobiographical. 'I guess I would say, like, I’m definitely drawn to people with a strong physicality,' she says with a shrug, 'with more of a dominant personality.'" source

UV

Interviewer calls it "a collection of autobiographical songs" in between direct quotes. source

All her albums

Pitchfork: "Which of your albums is the most autobiographical? LDR: "All of them." source

"I feel that the three records [bTD, Paradise, and UV] were so heavy and autobiographical. It's been so cathartic." source

Her music generally

"But I don't long for a mythic past. I have my own mythic past. I don't talk about it, no one would believe me anyway. But I can say: All of my songs are autobiographical, I don't have to dramatize anything." source

"No, it's completely autobiographical. Yeah, 100%." source

"when it comes to my own music it’s 100% autobiographical" source

Implied her music was autobiographical like Biggie Smalls source

"the lyrics are autobiographical, and it’s mostly about death and love" source

"I'd say 90% [autobiographical]. Usually what happens is all of the verses are always autobiographical up until the chorus...by the time I get to the chorus I might start singing about the way I wished that they had been." source

"Everything I was writing was so autobiographical" source

Interview with James Franco where she insists she is generally "writing about things autobiographically", but says of "Florida Kilos": "That song in particular is not autobiographical." Says she "didn't monitor [herself]" on UV and that is was "candid". Suggests "Honeymoon" might not be as autobiographical as other albums. Describes her songwriting as "you get to tell your story", "documenting your life", and states "you don't know any story better than your own". source

Do I contradict myself? Very well then, I contradict myself; I am large - I contain multitudes.

"I find myself sometimes going back and forth between writing autobiographically and living vicariously through my own lyrics. It’s a form of escapism for me in some ways, now that I don’t go out much. So, definitely, if you’re lucky enough to do what you love, it can be your whole life. I’m very lucky." source

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

So the search function isn’t working for me and I’m sure it’s been discussed before, but what’s Lana’s relationship like with her mom? We see Rob often (hanging out with Lana/Chuck/Marina, he was at Jones Beach last night, he’s active on Twitter/IG, Lana shouting him out in “hope”), but we never see or hear much about Mama Del Rey.

giphy-1.gif 

I keep trying to listen to tracks from Lana's May Jailer phase but I can't because they keep being taken off YouTube.

So... who owns their copyright? And how can they be flagged if they weren't recorded for a commercial project?

giphy.gif