americangothic

Lana's diction and incomprehensible lyrics

14 minutes ago, strange weather said:

This thread is kinda blowing my mind. I hate her for not giving us official lyrics! "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" -- but this thread proves we're all misunderstanding her lol

I can't believe no one has mentioned Florida Kilos yet:

____ in my mouth & gold hoops ???? Sun in my mouth?

White lines, pretty daddy,  _____ ??? go ski it? Gold skin?

You snort it like a champ, like the _____ ??? Winter we're not in? Winner, winner...?

i watched a few live performances of florida kilos and this is what she says:

"i've got gold in my mouth & gold hoops" (although in the studio version it doesn't really sound like gold)

"white lines, pretty daddy, gold skin"

i'm not sure about the last one

WGe8ynS.gif

I think she definitely says “sun in my mouth and gold hoops” in Florida Kilos. As for the next line, it sounds like “gold skin,” but I think it’s more likely to be “go skiing” because I’m convinced she says “like the winter we’re not in” next.

Hell, I Suppose if You Stick Around Long Enough, They Have to Say Something Nice About You

17 minutes ago, strange weather said:

This thread is kinda blowing my mind. I hate her for not giving us official lyrics! "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" -- but this thread proves we're all misunderstanding her lol

You snort it like a champ, like the _____ ??? Winter we're not in? Winner, winner...?

THIS.

• 'Florida Kilos'

We NEED to know what the hell is she even saying in the verse quoted by @strangeweather. 

• 'Sad Girl'

Do y'all think it is; 'creeping around on the side' or 'we've been around on the side'?

• 'Ultraviolence'

I know we all agree that the lyrics from the bridge are; 'blessed is this union', but 'blessed' sounds weird to me, it sounds like 'blessed is this - this union"

• 'God Bless America'

Also, have we already established what are the canon lyrics from the bridge from "God Bless America"?

• 'Swan Song':

Is it 'Dive in, dive deep in dark blue my suede'? As a non-native English speaker, could somebody tell me if it does actually makes sense?

• 'Is This Happiness"

I've got my DARE vs I've got my DAD?

• 'Get Free'

"Gone is the burden... "from the Crowley way of being" VS "from the crowd, the way of being"

• 'Venice Bitch'

"Life's dream, I'm sweet for you" VS "Livestream, I'm sweet for you"

We need answers, Elizabeth Grant.

sun in my mouth & gold hoops

you like your little baby like you like your drinks cool

white lines pretty daddy, go skiing

you snort it like a champ like the winter we’re not in

believe these r the correct florida kilos lines for that verse but i have to check when i get home

10 minutes ago, americangothic said:

• 'God Bless America'

Also, have we already established what are the canon lyrics from the bridge from "God Bless America"?

I have decided to stop trying to find what she's saying in GBA... but for me it's:

Even when you walk alone with the lights off you better believe that nobody can make me feel lonely
because I hear (sweetest melody)
Even when you talk that talk well the light's on my side so I know that I'll never ever feel lonely
I have no fear

Even when you talk that talk well the light's on my side so I know that I'll never ever feel lonely
I have no fear

Even when you walk alone with the lights off you better believe that nobody can make me feel lonely
I have no fear

:beyonce:

do you ever just... gaze at horizons?

original.gif

1 minute ago, iconiclogan said:

Am I the only one who physically cannot hear Lana say “sun” in Florida Kilos at 1:26?

It’s always sounded like she’s saying “soon” or “zoom” to me lol

“…and this is all I looked for all my life – to be able to give of my love, my spontaneous joy, unreservedly, with no fear of…misuse, betrayal.”
Sylvia Plath 

29 minutes ago, americangothic said:

• 'Venice Bitch'

I like to think it's livestream, she says "oh, the livestream's almost on" in The greatest so it makes sense to me :oprah3:

Spoiler

here comes @Eclipse debunking my ass :bebe:

Capture.jpg

28 minutes ago, LemonadeHeavens said:

also, i think she's saying "used to go to the comfort inn, yeah" in trash magic, i'm not 100% sure, it's not really clear in the live version either :toofunny:

This is what I thought it was too, until I saw the live version where it's very clear the word starts with a 'P'

Phonetically, it sounds like she's saying "pall-fur-een-ya" but I have no idea what word that could translate to :toofunny:

(1:28)

I feel like the only way we'll ever know is if another live performance is shared (& I know they must exist!), she rerecords the song (she mentioned doing so on her 25 Unreleased Songs album that never came to fruition), or if someone just straight up asks her x

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

1 hour ago, Serene Queen said:

I think she definitely says “sun in my mouth and gold hoops” I’m Florida Kilos. As for the next line, it sounds like “gold skin,” but I think it’s more likely to be “go skiing” because I’m convinced she says “like the winter we’re not in” next.

1 hour ago, americangothic said:

• 'Florida Kilos'

We NEED to know what the hell is she even saying in the verse quoted by @strangeweather. 

55 minutes ago, iconiclogan said:

you like your little baby like you like your drinks cool

white lines pretty daddy, go skiing

you snort it like a champ like the winter we’re not in

believe these r the correct florida kilos lines for that verse but i have to check when i get home

50 minutes ago, PatentLeatherDoOver said:

Am I the only one who physically cannot hear Lana say “sun” in Florida Kilos at 1:26?

It’s always sounded like she’s saying “soon” or “zoom” to me lol

The first line is another great mystery that hasn't been solved by live performances, as it doesn't even seem like Lana is quite sure of what she really said there.

The two last lines though are pretty much confirmed to be "white lines pretty daddy, gold skin. you snort it like a champ, let the winner, winner in" through live performances. 

"I got a gun in my mouth and gold hoops" (1:24)

"(moan) in my mouth and gold hoops" (2:03)

"I got gold in my mouth and gold hoops" (1:23)

This is the way she's sang it most often, also singing it this way during her 2018 shows in Sunrise Florida & Hawaii.

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

3 minutes ago, Elle said:

i am now EMBARRASSED that I used to sing this at 14 

0-D9-B4-BAE-A7-F2-4-FF4-93-FB-F863-B500-

find someone who looks at you the way Lana looks at Taylor Swift

4 minutes ago, Elle said:

The first line is another great mystery that hasn't been solved by live performances, as it doesn't even seem like Lana is quite sure of what she really said there.

The two last lines though are pretty much confirmed to be "white lines pretty daddy, gold skin. you snort it like a champ, let the winner, winner in" through live performances. 

listening to this one i heard "you snort it like a champ, let the winter, winter, in"

but winter pronounced like winnah

winner makes sense next to "like a champ", but letting the winter in = snorting white "winter" and letting it in...

honestly the words are so close i kinda believe it was intentional, with being next to "champ" but also in a song STUFFED to the brim with drug references

sUcVobB.png

3 minutes ago, Elle said:

"I got a gun in my mouth and gold hoops" (1:24)

"I got gold in my mouth and gold hoops" (1:23)

This is the way she's sang most often, also singing it this way during her 2018 shows in Sunrise Florida & Hawaii.

Thank you so much for taking the time to attach these performances! I honestly kinda enjoy that she replaces the line with whatever she’s feeling at the moment!

“…and this is all I looked for all my life – to be able to give of my love, my spontaneous joy, unreservedly, with no fear of…misuse, betrayal.”
Sylvia Plath 

4 minutes ago, honeybadger said:

listening to this one i heard "you snort it like a champ, let the winter, winter, in"

winner makes sense next to "like a champ", but letting the winter in = snorting white "winter" and letting it in...

honestly the words are so close i kinda believe it was intentional, with being next to "champ" but also in a song STUFFED to the brim with drug references

i heard “snort it like a champ, let the winner winner in” and i just assumed it was about snorting different types of c0ke and letting the strongest one (the winner) get u high (also a reason I should never do drugs lol cuz i clearly have no idea what to do)

0-D9-B4-BAE-A7-F2-4-FF4-93-FB-F863-B500-

find someone who looks at you the way Lana looks at Taylor Swift

8 minutes ago, honeybadger said:

But isn't "winnah" the non-rhotic pronunciation of "winner" ?  :dua: 

Anyway, I'm a firm believer in #teamwinner as it just makes the most sense coming after the word "champ" and also in every live performance she's done of the song, I've yet to hear a pesky lil "T" making its way into the word x

1 hour ago, strange weather said:

about florida kilos i was halfway through writing it earlier then realised i didn’t care that much so i dipped :toofunny: but now that i’m here... i think “it’s you in my mouth” works but it looks very questionable now that i’m typing it out. ummmm anyways 

1 hour ago, americangothic said:

• 'Sad Girl'

'creeping around on the side'

• 'Is This Happiness"

I've got my DAD?

• 'Get Free'

"Gone is the burden... "from the Crowley way of being

• 'Venice Bitch'

We need answers, Elizabeth Grant.

I mainly hear these lyrics, Crowley way of being makes more sense for me on Get Free because she cast that spell on D Trump. I hear Life's Dream more on VB but it would make more sense for it to be livestream tbh. 

For Swan Song, I hear "Dive in, dive deep in dark blue suede." I think it's more of her visual imagery (like "I dream in jeans and leather"), suede is basically a velvety leather material so it provides dark blue (deep, sad emotion) velvety imagery I guess? 

sgopYhV.gif