americangothic

Lana's diction and incomprehensible lyrics

Days like today make me understand that one person on live with Lana in October who just kept asking her to clarify what lyrics actually are

imageproxy.jpg

2 minutes ago, Super Movie said:

Days like today make me understand that one person on live with Lana in October who just kept asking her to clarify what lyrics actually are

Tbh if I ever end up on live with Lana, I WILL ask her about the Trash Magic lyric “used to go to the ????? where you’d buy me a slice of cherry pie”

Truly THE greatest Lana lyrical mystery imo x

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

4 hours ago, Chemtrail said:

I doubt she sings "with ribbons in knots" on MTWBT, maybe on knots(?) but she doesn't sing "in"

i think it’s “my ribbons are knots”

either way, it’s some sort of variation of that

when she performs the song she does a gesture with her wrists so i feel like that further confirms that

WGe8ynS.gif

8 hours ago, drugsdesire said:

for the longest time i used to think that in the blackest day she says "it's not simple, let's drink another drink" instead of "i'm not simple, it's trigonometry"

To me, it sounds better than the original lyric which I find to be cringy. 

9 hours ago, prettywhenimhigh said:

whew I'm glad I'm not alone and you're from england! in this case I will just keep pretending it's "blue ribbons on ice" it makes so much more sense :deadbanana:

drinking blue ribbon with the girls while they're watching the boys

her and her bestie from this is what makes us girls 

I don't care, I'm singing it like that. I also sing "He's crazy y cubano como yo, my love" instead of "la la". It's just better that way 

20230718-113117.gif

Honey, you make me feel I'm invincible

I know it has been discussed to death but can someone confirm the Florida Kilos mess for me once and for all? 

Pretty daddy, gold skin (?)

You snort it like a champ, like (?)

A version I never really see is

Pretty daddy goes "Kid, you snort it like a champ, like the winter we're not in"

but it makes sense to me?? That's how I choose to sing it tbh because I like it the most.

I'll accept anything except that shit about skiing. That's just a ridiculously stupid lyric, I'm sorry.

20230718-113117.gif

24 minutes ago, BlueINK said:

I know it has been discussed to death but can someone confirm the Florida Kilos mess for me once and for all? 

Pretty daddy, gold skin (?)

You snort it like a champ, like (?)

A version I never really see is

Pretty daddy goes "Kid, you snort it like a champ, like the winter we're not in"

but it makes sense to me?? That's how I choose to sing it tbh because I like it the most.

I'll accept anything except that shit about skiing. That's just a ridiculously stupid lyric, I'm sorry.

I can’t be the person to answer your question once and for all since I’m not even a native speaker, but I, too, got caught up in it last night and after watching some live performances, I’m convinced she sings:

“White lines, pretty daddy, gold skin,

You snort it like a champ, let the winter winter in”

I hear it like this consistently in different live performances,  so I don’t think it’s a lyric change for the day

edit: maybe this would help, too

Another edit: I’m 100% sure now that’s what she says. It’s very clear here.

13 hours ago, Chemtrail said:

Not sure why you're being weird when it's about lyrics that didn't add up while listening to the song :rip: I'd like to know the real lyrics to a song I've loved for 7 years if I don't already, it's that simple. I'm not interested in you personally, you were tagged because I mentioned your post then you wanted to be weird with that gif in every post and not quoting me while responding as if I had insulted you. You made it weird. Goodnight.

babe i have no issues with you you are the one making it weird :oprah2: lanaboards ZERO sense of humour i just like that gif and find it funny, i was responding generally and not to you, you decided to take things personal :air2: go touch grass girlie why this forum always want to start drama, the only reason i said "where is ellen" cause she is into this shit too and thought she would help with the lyrics lmao

5 hours ago, BlueINK said:

I don't care, I'm singing it like that. I also sing "He's crazy y cubano como yo, my love" instead of "la la". It's just better that way 

saaaame!! I was also shook when I got to know it wasn't "my love"

1.jpg  3.jpg  2.jpg 

5 hours ago, lili said:

White lines, pretty daddy, gold skin,

You snort it like a champ, let the winter winter in”

I love how it's a lot clearer in a  smartphone live recording than in the actual studio recording lol she really loves to mumble.

I guess the lyrics you suggested are correct then (although it also sounds like she says winner instead of winter which makes no sense but whatever)

20230718-113117.gif

In Salvatore I'm always kinda thrown off by,

"All the lights are sparkling for you it seems

On the downtown scene

Shady blue ???"

like im guessing she probably does say "shady blue" but it sounds so odd and incomprehensible??

Wq9zHLl.jpg

32 minutes ago, hotshot2am said:

Winner does make sense in combination with champ.

Winner and champ pretty much mean the same thing, but still I think it makes more sense that she sings “winter”, for the coke is referred as “snow” earlier in the song so he’s snorting the “winter” in. 

4 minutes ago, daphnedinkley said:

In Salvatore I'm always kinda thrown off by,

"All the lights are sparkling for you it seems

On the downtown scene

Shady blue ???"

like im guessing she probably does say "shady blue" but it sounds so odd and incomprehensible??

I only ever hear “shady boo” but shady blue makes sense in context of the lyrics 

UguUCJc.gif

leak the barrie-james co-written songs + elvis (2013)

8 hours ago, BlueINK said:

“he’s crazy y cubano como yo, la la” always sounded really stupid to me until i started thinking of it as “he’s crazy y cubano como yo la la” with no comma - the phrasing changes and i interpret it as “he’s crazy y cubano like i sing” since she’s singing in spanish .. and is crazy :lush:

Spoiler

i still like “my love” better though .. sometimes i hear it as “your la love” which seems like a compromise so i’ll stick with that :lush:

sUcVobB.png

6 hours ago, 111 said:

babe i have no issues with you you are the one making it weird :oprah2: lanaboards ZERO sense of humour i just like that gif and find it funny, i was responding generally and not to you, you decided to take things personal :air2: go touch grass girlie why this forum always want to start drama, the only reason i said "where is ellen" cause she is into this shit too and thought she would help with the lyrics lmao

I didn't start any drama, I kinda thought you were older than you're coming across though because you've been around for years so I didn't expect you to be shady or act like you know more when it comes to the lyrics than anyone else does when you could replay the song and hear that they're clearly wrong, it's kinda like rewriting Lana's lyrics if everybody just believes you, but it's all good :heart: I'm just glad she put the lyrics for Blue Banisters in that booklet or "it's our bane" may not have been figured out so quickly.

2 hours ago, Chemtrail said:

I didn't start any drama, I kinda thought you were older than you're coming across though because you've been around for years so I didn't expect you to be shady or act like you know more when it comes to the lyrics than anyone else does when you could replay the song and hear that they're clearly wrong, it's kinda like rewriting Lana's lyrics if everybody just believes you, but it's all good :heart: I'm just glad she put the lyrics for Blue Banisters in that booklet or "it's our bane" may not have been figured out so quickly.

idk what u saying but go off let's party