VioletPrincess

The Love Witch (2016)

Appreciation, discussion, and overall base for Anna Biller's The Love Witch (2016)

MV5-BMj-A5-NDEy-Mj-Qw-NV5-BMl5-Ban-Bn-Xk

"Elaine, a beautiful young witch, is determined to find a man to love her. In her gothic Victorian

apartment she makes spells and potions, and then picks up men and seduces them. However her spells work too well,

and she ends up with a string of hapless victims. When she finally meets the man of her dreams, her desperation to be loved

will drive her to the brink of insanity and murder. With a visual style that pays tribute to Technicolor thrillers of the ‘60s,

THE LOVE WITCH explores female fantasy and the repercussions of pathological narcissism."  

Info: 

Spoiler

Genre: Comedy, horror, romance, tragedy

Rated: Unrated

Runtime: 120 mins

Director: Anna Biller

Writer: Anna Biller

Cast: Elaine Parks - Samantha Robinson

Griff Meadows - Gian Keys

Trish - Laura Waddell

Wayne Peters - Jeffrey Vincent Parise

Gahan - Jared Sanford

Richard - Robert Seeley

Barbara - Jennifer Ingrum

Official Links:

Articles:

Pictures and GIFs:

Spoiler

7326a4c69832d825dd26e1013716d6f5.jpg  the-love-witch.jpgLovewitch-frame9.jpg15watching-lovewitch-videosixteenbyninej

Videos:

Spoiler

TBA

Currently available to watch on streaming platforms!

519dbcefac27f37a571cf38d37928a5f5f5969cf

10 hours ago, Ultra Violet said:

Since this movie has a thread of its own now, this is something I put together using the Evanescence instrumental Unraveling. 

https://youtu.be/cYAsXrwksy0

They're so beautiful together, you did an amazing job!

I was contemplating on making a sub section for unofficial videos in the main post but wasn't sure since they're 'unofficial' - I had a SotW Lana cover music vid in mind :/

I watched this movie last summer because someone on here (maybe it was you @VioletPrincess?) had their signature as just a gif of Elaine staring. I did a reverse google image search of it and found the movie. It sounded interesting and, oh it was! Anyways I recommend and it is def a lovely witchy movie. If you liked the LFL trailer and wanted LFL to be a witchy album like the title track demo was, you’ll probably enjoy this movie! 

4 minutes ago, Distantly said:

I watched this movie last summer because someone on here (maybe it was you @VioletPrincess?) had their signature as just a gif of Elaine staring. I did a reverse google image search of it and found the movie. It sounded interesting and, oh it was! Anyways I recommend and it is def a lovely witchy movie. If you liked the LFL trailer and wanted LFL to be a witchy album like the title track demo was, you’ll probably enjoy this movie! 

Hmm, not me as I've never had a sig, but I have rec'd it a lot on the boards! This movie is very popular among Lana fans for good reason :wub: Glad you were able to find it and enjoy it <3

I stumbled across this movie thanks to a fan made Lana music video and it was the best day of my life :trisha:

I'm just obsessed with the aesthetic. Elaine is one of the reason I let my hair grow (I still didn't cut it and in the end I think I won't :toofloppy: ) and started wearing vintage. I don't know if Anna Biller has a project right now, but I can't wait for her next movie. 

I think I'll watch it again tonight to celebrate the thread :bebe:

I love this movie so much (as well as Viva). It’s exactly what I wanted out of a modern film. The cinematography, the acting, the costumes, the sets, the story— everything about it is perfect. And I love how it’s kinda written like a pre-code film, you don’t get a lot of characters like Elaine anymore. Plus I do always love films about witches (especially ones where they use more realistic type spells and rituals, which this one does). It’s a shame though how often men seem to misunderstand it but I guess that’s how all the best art is lol. Also, back in 2017 I had a Love Witch ice cream cake for my birthday. I just love you his film so much. Anna Biller is definitely one of my favourite filmmakers of all time.

75db99d920c2ca66a0ee7e5c2de27df4181ca688

6 minutes ago, sugary sweet said:

i honestly couldn't stand this movie, i feel like they put way too much focus onto the aesthetic and visual and left the story incohesive and confusing

To be fair i haven't seen the movie in a long time so i don't really remember but in general i hold the opinion that a movie doesn't necessarily need to be cohesive or particularly intelligent to be a good movie. Aesthetic aims are still noble aims. no disrespect to your opinion though cause thats valid :nails:

157852e4da9ff5b7ec834e7a2eac795d.gif

49 minutes ago, sugary sweet said:

i honestly couldn't stand this movie, i feel like they put way too much focus onto the aesthetic and visual and left the story incohesive and confusing

i think that’s what they were going for. it’s cute, beautiful gowns, nice to look at. i can’t for the life of me tell you the plot :xgiggle:

9 hours ago, Glimmering Feelings said:

I stumbled across this movie thanks to a fan made Lana music video and it was the best day of my life :trisha:

I'm just obsessed with the aesthetic. Elaine is one of the reason I let my hair grow (I still didn't cut it and in the end I think I won't :toofloppy: ) and started wearing vintage. I don't know if Anna Biller has a project right now, but I can't wait for her next movie. 

I think I'll watch it again tonight to celebrate the thread :bebe:

Last I saw she announced a reworking of Bluebeard but I guess it's still a work in progress :')

Also I'm really surprised a thread wasn't made when the movie came out, better late then never tho :dance:

8 hours ago, recklessdaughter said:

I love this movie so much (as well as Viva). It’s exactly what I wanted out of a modern film. The cinematography, the acting, the costumes, the sets, the story— everything about it is perfect. And I love how it’s kinda written like a pre-code film, you don’t get a lot of characters like Elaine anymore. Plus I do always love films about witches (especially ones where they use more realistic type spells and rituals, which this one does). It’s a shame though how often men seem to misunderstand it but I guess that’s how all the best art is lol. Also, back in 2017 I had a Love Witch ice cream cake for my birthday. I just love you his film so much. Anna Biller is definitely one of my favourite filmmakers of all time.

:gclap:

And ice cream cake?? Post a pic if you can!

1 minute ago, recklessdaughter said:

Here it is! :illumilana2:

CC2-F0807-8-C22-4135-A5-E1-2-DF52-ACA34-

Reveal hidden contents

B2-B27-B2-A-E69-E-4-ABC-9-DA7-7-AED3-D7-

Omg this cake is amazing, I want the same one for my birthday :trisha: Also, the glass is so cool, really giving me that witchy medieval aesthetic :diva:

Is that you in the picture? Looking gorgeous girl, beautiful hair and lashes! 

9 minutes ago, Glimmering Feelings said:

Omg this cake is amazing, I want the same one for my birthday :trisha: Also, the glass is so cool, really giving me that witchy medieval aesthetic :diva:

Is that you in the picture? Looking gorgeous girl, beautiful hair and lashes! 

Thank you! :kiss: My brother surprised me with the cake. And I love my wine glasses too, they’re very durable lol. And that is me in the picture, back when I my beautiful hair wasn’t falling out. :crying5:

75db99d920c2ca66a0ee7e5c2de27df4181ca688