Sitar

Random Lana Discussion Thread

Forever heartbroken that Hundred Dollar Bill & Television Heaven didn’t make the cut for BTD... we lost. 

Does anyone else remember late 2011 on Lana’s Facebook page, when she posted a draft tracklist that had HDB on it & Dark Paradise as a bonus track?? Or was that a fever dream I had. :rip: 

14417469274.gif

43 minutes ago, Hundred Dollar Bill said:

Forever heartbroken that Hundred Dollar Bill & Television Heaven didn’t make the cut for BTD... we lost. 

Does anyone else remember late 2011 on Lana’s Facebook page, when she posted a draft tracklist that had HDB on it & Dark Paradise as a bonus track?? Or was that a fever dream I had. :rip: 

I was also following her at that time and I believe I saw it happen, I no longer have the exact memory but I would not be surprised. I think her producers cut everything to leave nothing of Lizzy.:rollin:

i hope this is an okay thing to speculate on as i don't think there's a particular stigma attached to this - correct me if i'm wrong! <3 - but does anyone else feel that Lana could possibly have a Fantasy Prone Personality??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasy_prone_personality

Wq9zHLl.jpg

5 hours ago, daphnedinkley said:

i hope this is an okay thing to speculate on as i don't think there's a particular stigma attached to this - correct me if i'm wrong! <3 - but does anyone else feel that Lana could possibly have a Fantasy Prone Personality??

Hm what makes you think so? I think she's just a good storyteller and uses her own thoughts and experiences to dress up and create her lyrics.

You call me lavender, you call me sunshine.

I know this was a while ago and normally I don't really care about celebrity friendships, but

It's kind of lame af that Ariana unfollowed Lana after her Question for the Culture post. Ariana in general seems lame.

2 minutes ago, Doll Harlow said:

I know this was a while ago and normally I don't really care about celebrity friendships, but

It's kind of lame af that Ariana unfollowed Lana after her Question for the Culture post. Ariana in general seems lame.

Lana unfollowed her first ?

Literally all her opening tracks are iconic and near perfect 

born to die

cruel world

honeymoon 

love

norman fucking rockwell

white dress

such a strong set of songs and they all perfectly set the tone for the records that follow 

14 hours ago, daphnedinkley said:

I just think that she's creative. What made you think of that?

14 hours ago, Doll Harlow said:

Hm what makes you think so? I think she's just a good storyteller and uses her own thoughts and experiences to dress up and create her lyrics.

5 hours ago, BluebirdXO said:

I just think that she's creative. What made you think of that?

i don't actually think it's the case necessarily, but just something i find quite interesting to potentially speculate on! :candy: i've been looking up FPP for the past couple of days because an online therapist suggested i do, since i have BPD and experience with maladaptive daydreaming and an overactive imagination.

while i don't think lana exhibits some of the more extreme traits - like hallucinations or an inability to differentiate between fantasy and reality - i do find it interesting that she has revealed or "constructed" so many people, ideas and parts of her life that many of us are unsure rather to class as real or imagined. for example:

• K - i personally believe K was real or at least based on a real person, but many people have speculated that K never really existed or that he was an amalgamation of several people. if this is the case and lana had invented this man, along with an entire personality and backstory for him (double homicide, death row, and so on) then that definitely lines up with FPP traits. of course she's also just a very creative person and talented storyteller, but it's interesting to look at it thru this lens!
  • Jimmy Gnecco - obviously we know he's real, but it's interesting that lana sings about him in a way that indicated a more intimate or close relationship than he ever admitted to. again, doesn't necessarily mean anything, but if we were to run with this little FPP theory it kinda lines up with some of the traits; people with FPP often daydream so much about their crushes that they feel closer to them, or they can absorb themselves in a real fantasy involving them. (for what it's worth, "absorption" is the term given to the personality trait in which a person can completely absorb themselves in their mental imagery, to a much more intense degree than regular thoughts or daydreaming) they also tend to become obsessive over their romantic objects much quicker than your average person!
  • Being in a cult / Charismatic cult leader - during the UV era lana spoke in an interview about a man she was involved with, pretty much suggesting he was a type of cult leader. she spoke about being part of a "sect". there's been lots of speculation regarding this, i think the generally accepted conclusion is that she was talking about an AA counsellor who potentially took advantage of her and others, but some people think she was either outright lying or very much exaggerating the truth. embellishing your life in this way is another trait of FPP; this time it wasn't even in a song, it was during an interview. sometimes people with FPP will catch themselves in a lie, whether it's a small little white lie or a grandiose one.
  • The person Million Dollar Man is about - okay i don't remember the exact quote, but didn't she say that MDM was written about some mysterious guy in the tech industry who ended up going broke because all his money was made in a dirty way?? or something. another figure in lana's canon that is often speculated about; could be real, could be imagined.
  • Potential sex work - a few of lana's songs, as well as the G&M segment in Tropico, hint at a potential history in the sex industry for lana. again, something us fans have often speculated over and tried to figure out: real, embellished, or just for songwriting purposes? it's worth noting that not all people with FPP will daydream or fantasise about things that are all rainbows and roses; fantasising about something darker (or even a struggle to overcome) can also be appealing.
  • Drug use - of course this isn't a nice thing to speculate on really but we have speculated before about how much of her drug use is real or just allegorical, and the extent of it.

something we know for sure is that lana had a troubled childhood in some ways. she's spoken about struggling to fit in, a strained relationship with her mother, that kind of thing. FPP often stems from an intense loneliness as a child, or even abuse as a child - these constructed worlds are an escape for such children, but those with FPP will use these coping mechanisms way into their adult life. fantasy runs throughout lana's work, and the Ride monologue really encapsulates this - "are you in touch with all of your darkest fantasies?". she seems to be someone who idolises the lives of her many muses and imagines what it might be like to live it herself.

the key distinction to make here, of course, is that lana seems to actively be creating a life for herself in which she can live out these fantasies, rather than just internalising it all. we don't yet know how this slots into FPP, as research into the condition is in its infancy. it's a relatively new concept!

of course, all of this is just fun speculation. i don't necessarily think lana has this type of personality, but it definitely piqued my interest as i was reading about it! :kiss2:

Wq9zHLl.jpg

Im not even seeking these videos out anymore. The channels I already watch a lot are just making them so I tune in when I can. 

I think this one is very good. The only thing I'd say I disagree with is only a personal opinion. Lana's music never made me sad- it made me happy. And when I was actually going through depression, her music got me through because it was beautiful and made me realise that even when I'm like that, there is still colour in me and colour in the world. I never romanticised being sad listening to Lana, and in fact when I was at my worst, crying in my room night after night, I would not be listening to any music at all. But when I got out of it, I was happy to start listening to her, trying to live again. 

Can anyone else relate? 

Like what do you think of the stereotype of Lana fans being sad or fake-sad teenagers trying to be the pastel grunge aesthetic? 

1 minute ago, Ultra Violet said:

Im not even seeking these videos out anymore. The channels I already watch a lot are just making them so I tune in when I can. 

I think this one is very good. The only thing I'd say I disagree with is only a personal opinion. Lana's music never made me sad- it made me happy. And when I was actually going through depression, her music got me through because it was beautiful and made me realise that even when I'm like that, there is still colour in me and colour in the world. I never romanticised being sad listening to Lana, and in fact when I was at my worst, crying in my room night after night, I would not be listening to any music at all. But when I got out of it, I was happy to start listening to her, trying to live again. 

Can anyone else relate? 

Like what do you think of the stereotype of Lana fans being sad or fake-sad teenagers trying to be the pastel grunge aesthetic? 

I relate 100%. I could never relate to people who said that her music is sad. It definitely has a melancholy sound sometimes but it never makes me sad. It's hard to explain.

22 hours ago, Doll Harlow said:

Yeah From what I got from reading her posts and watching all her IG videos, it happened because Ariana privately messaged her about disagreements on qftc and didnt want to be associated with her anymore, so Lana said that was fine and they unfollowed each other. I also think a similar thing happened with her and Marina, especially since Lana said in the adressing video that shes sad people who she’s been so close with for so long are  choosing to cut  themself from her over the qftc post which i think Lana was the most sad about

15 minutes ago, Ultra Violet said:

Can anyone else relate? 

I totally relate with you. Lana's music always made me happy. Obviously, she have melancholic songs (and who doesn't), but that's not her whole discography. She actually shows a huge range of emotions through her records. I always feel more alive listening to it.

On the other hand, most of my friends who listen to Lana fits the stereotype, so she may have a point

Like is said the other day about black beauty being one of my favorite lana songs ever; ultraviolence and the whole "sad-core" thing for me wasnt a placebo. It taught me to see a certain majesty in my misery that only lana can communicate with. I dont think i wouldve seen sadness as something so beautifully raw and artistic if i hadnt begun listening to her when i was **TWELVE** LMAOOOO