Sitar

Random Lana Discussion Thread

I'm literally wheezing at what my mom said about Lana. I'm trying to convince her to give her a listen because all of her friends love her and she was like:

Mom: Yeah I hear her when you play her records

Me: But you completely ignore whatever I'm playing 

Mom: No I'm not, she's the one that sings like aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh😫

That's such an accurate description of Ultraviolence and Honeymoon :bebe:

I'm fucking crazy, but I'm free 

93b488e8eb088d879c7e1857356c23ac.gif

39 minutes ago, shady said:

I'm literally wheezing at what my mom said about Lana. I'm trying to convince her to give her a listen because all of her friends love her and she was like:

LOL! One time my mom said "she sounds like a funeral march" :eyeroll2:

tumblr_inline_qhw6etIHor1wxgybj_500.gif

last.fm: dope_n_diamonds // twitter: lovinglydelrey

56 minutes ago, shady said:

lmaaao I converted my mom during quarantine and now she asks alexa to play my lana playlist by herself even when I'm not at home

1.jpg  3.jpg  2.jpg 

2 hours ago, prettywhenimhigh said:

lmaaao I converted my mom during quarantine and now she asks alexa to play my lana playlist by herself even when I'm not at home

I convinced her to love Arctic Monkeys AM but she can't remember their name because she doesn't speak English so they're called "The ones who sound like Pink Floyd".

I'm fucking crazy, but I'm free 

93b488e8eb088d879c7e1857356c23ac.gif

3 minutes ago, shady said:

I convinced her to love Arctic Monkeys AM but she can't remember their name because she doesn't speak English so they're called "The ones who sound like Pink Floyd".

omg lol she's cute

1.jpg  3.jpg  2.jpg 

On 8/2/2022 at 1:12 PM, Venice Peach said:

I wonder if a Get Free version where she says Amy and Whitney still exists cause on the released one you can hear "for A- and for W-" but I don't know if the decision to silence those parts was made while recording (so a full version may not exist anymore) or after she had the song done (so a demo might exist).

Maybe those lines were from Malibu :um2:

I’d like to imagine the reason for the silenced parts were purely out of respect for those artists who have been heavily targeted by media and general public which contributed to their early demise. So as not to open up another discussion like “LDR name-dropping Amy Winehouse and Whitney Houston on her new album” or whatever. It’s like she’s saying they’ve had enough, they’re “free” now and must be beyond scrutiny. On top of that, you can put in those gaps any artist that you like who’s not with us anymore or even people dear to you who passed away and meditate upon what the song is trying to say as such.

Edit: Sorry that this is not really answering your question or in response to you, I just wanted to express my opinion on the silenced part when you happened to mention it. ♥️

On 8/2/2022 at 6:12 AM, Venice Peach said:

I wonder if a Get Free version where she says Amy and Whitney still exists cause on the released one you can hear "for A- and for W-" but I don't know if the decision to silence those parts was made while recording (so a full version may not exist anymore) or after she had the song done (so a demo might exist).

Maybe those lines were from Malibu :um2:

IIRC Get Free's censored names are Lana's personal friends. I hope Malibu leaks one day but I doubt it will, since she said she deleted it.

giphy.gif

40 minutes ago, baddisease said:

IIRC Get Free's censored names are Lana's personal friends. I hope Malibu leaks one day but I doubt it will, since she said she deleted it.

Lana was friends with Amy winehouse and Whitney Houston lol?

14 minutes ago, Wait For Life said:

Lana was friends with Amy winehouse and Whitney Houston lol?

No. Their names were not the ones censored in Get Free.

giphy.gif

5 minutes ago, Wait For Life said:

Says who 

it doesn't make sense for them to be the censored words, at least not to me. Amy and Whitney were superstars, so I don't understand why she would censor their names. She also said that the censored lyrics were too personal for her. how would two artists whose deaths were mainstream and well-known be personal?

giphy.gif

7 minutes ago, baddisease said:

it doesn't make sense for them to be the censored words, at least not to me. Amy and Whitney were superstars, so I don't understand why she would censor their names. She also said that the censored lyrics were too personal for her. how would two artists whose deaths were mainstream and well-known be personal?

She sang for Amy and for Whitney multiple times, that is the lyric

Just now, Chemtrail said:

She sang for Amy and for Whitney multiple times in live performances, that is the lyric

just because she inserted their names during performances doesn't mean that that's the lyric in the album version of the song.

giphy.gif

19 minutes ago, baddisease said:

It could be personal in the sense that she is also afflicted with media scrutiny. Fame is only truly understood by those who have it, so she can feel super close to them. She also once said she believed she had a special, personal connection with people long gone before her through their art. I'll update this post if I find the interview.

Found it: “I knew then, really, that my closest friends would be people I have never really met before,” she said. “I was different and I didn’t know many people who felt about mortality how I did. As a result, I do feel a personal connection with the icons: John Wayne, Elvis. I loved how nice Marilyn was, I related to her. Finding girls who were as loving and warm as her is hard.” https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/elvis-presley-lana-del-rey-feels-friends-dead-celebrities.html/

23 hours ago, baddisease said:

just because she inserted their names during performances doesn't mean that that's the lyric in the album version of the song.

i mean, technically there is no lyrics for the album version because it was cut out, but it seems like she’s supposed to be saying “for amy & for whitney” because that’s what she sings live, there’s nothing that would suggest otherwise

ezgif-1-9fe66f8123

2 hours ago, Surf Noir said:

i mean, technically there is no lyrics for the album version because it was cut out, but it seems like she’s supposed to be saying “for amy & for whitney” because that’s what she sings live, there’s nothing that would suggest otherwise

why blank out their names, though?

giphy.gif

29 minutes ago, themusicsinme said:

off topic but do we know why she's been uploading old songs to her YouTube channel? she uploaded the greatest With the caption love sucks and summertime sadness with the caption iykyk 

Possibly for a generated playlist or compilation album? Must be tied with some type of streaming platform because I've seen that on her generated audios before :popcorn:

Posting this here because in the charts thread, nobody sees or comments it lol 

Lana is synonymous with summer indeed.  And thank goodness for Summertime Sadness.
Imagine if she had a mid-tempo summer « bop » sleeping somewhere in her hard drive… :oprah2: