Sitar

Random Lana Discussion Thread

On 8/11/2022 at 12:11 PM, Venice Peach said:

I think one of the reasons (other than of course being great music) is that it sounds so timeless that it doesn't feel dated at all even 10 years later. The perfect blend of pop and classic

Excluding some outliers her music is aging extremely well and it's showing :crying4:

I also love the fact that it's not only BTD getting popular again, NFR and UV are doing great too and even Chemtrails and BB had their moments with the title track and Dealer.

Lana's a living legend :icant:

That and also her writing wasn't following trends and was singing about stuff that was sung 60 years ago. Everyone who sang about hashtags, selfies and MySpace looks like a clown now. You can only spot trends in her early music videos but that's unavoidable plus the clothes weren't cringy micro trends. 

I feel like NFR was the first to receive attention on Tiktok but UV, especially West Coast, went viral multiple times. 

I'm fucking crazy, but I'm free 

93b488e8eb088d879c7e1857356c23ac.gif

My younger brother, who’s always hated Lana’s music, has been blasting West Coast, Off to the Races and Dealer back to back non-stop for several days now. 

I think I’ve finally broken him, I’m so proud :icant: 

As much as I was disappointed with Chemtrails and BB as their own separate projects, I will say I’ve been able to make a playlist out of my favorite songs for them that does fill a void in my Lana listening universe that otherwise wasn’t filled. Mainly it’s calm, intimate, gentle, lowkey, melancholic songs that aren’t as intense as her other music. It feels like a modern more elaborate version of Sirens, which was my calm Lana album before these two. 

It’s not about having someone to love me anymore

This is the experience of being an American whore

To me, Honeymoon was the last great (and the greatest) thing we got from her. The later releases don't hit the note for me but there are songs I like and I adore her nevertheless. It's just my personal opinion. I miss those days :( my past is not something I like to remember, but what I'd give to go back to 2012-2015 to listen to that music for the first time again... ♥️ Still got a Lust For Life tattoo on my body anyways. 

tumblr_inline_qhw6etIHor1wxgybj_500.gif

last.fm: dope_n_diamonds // twitter: lovinglydelrey

9 hours ago, Urbanney said:

As much as I was disappointed with Chemtrails and BB as their own separate projects, I will say I’ve been able to make a playlist out of my favorite songs for them that does fill a void in my Lana listening universe that otherwise wasn’t filled. Mainly it’s calm, intimate, gentle, lowkey, melancholic songs that aren’t as intense as her other music. It feels like a modern more elaborate version of Sirens, which was my calm Lana album before these two. 

I did that too. Mine is

Spoiler

1. Chemtrails

2. Nectar of the Gods

3. White Dress

4. Blue Banisters

5. Wildflower Wildfire

6. Living Legend

7. Violets for Roses

8. Not All Who Wander are Lost

9. Yosemite

10. Wild At Heart

Other really good songs like Dealer, Dark But Just a Game and Thunder (demo) etc. are on a different playlist

What's yours?

20230718-113117.gif

Honey, you make me feel I'm invincible

2 hours ago, zombie girl said:

When I think of Lana Del Rey, I think of a character, and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that, but that character died after Honeymoon. BTD/P + UV + HM feel like a trilogy that needs to stand completely alone.

it has felt less like *she* is changing and more like the Lana Del Rey persona has started to fade. 

BTD/P + UV + HM are the essence of what the Lana Del Rey character is. I also think if those three albums were a stand-alone art project, the legacy of that art project would be even more untouched. 

I agreeeee! It does seem like she is just Lizzy doing her thing at this point, not that sad mysterious 50s/60s singer. 

She always says LDR isn't a persona and I guess that's only half true - she wrote about the old Lizzy stuff but her looks etc. WERE a persona, like Marilyn Monroe.

Lana Del Rey is always the embodiment of BTD, UV, HM. Maybe also LFL. Lana is the glamour of bygone eras while Lizzy is sitting there with her guitar and piano and she just writes and sings in smaller bars, and that's what she's been doing more and more since NFR. I feel like we're closer to Sirens than we are to the big three.

Btw, I'm not trying to sound like I know her best here, that's just how I think of the two "characters".

20230718-113117.gif

4 hours ago, BlueINK said:

I did that too. Mine is

Reveal hidden contents

1. Chemtrails

2. Nectar of the Gods

3. White Dress

4. Blue Banisters

5. Wildflower Wildfire

6. Living Legend

7. Violets for Roses

8. Not All Who Wander are Lost

9. Yosemite

10. Wild At Heart

Other really good songs like Dealer, Dark But Just a Game and Thunder (demo) etc. are on a different playlist

What's yours?

I love that yours is short and sweet! I feel like Wild at Heart is a good, fun, celebratory closer too.

Spoiler
  1. White Dress
  2. Chemtrails
  3. Tulsa Jesus Freak
  4. Wildflower Wildfire
  5. Nectar of the Gods
  6. Not All Who Wander Are Lost
  7. Black Bathing Suit
  8. If You Lie Down With Me
  9. Dealer
  10. Dark But Just a Game
  11. Blue Banisters
  12. Breaking Up Slowly
  13. Yosemite
  14. Cherry Blossom

It’s not about having someone to love me anymore

This is the experience of being an American whore

5 hours ago, zombie girl said:

Not to write a thinkpiece on this website lol, but one thing I think about a lot is how I wish Lana stopped releasing under “Lana Del Rey” after Honeymoon and started releasing under Lizzy Grant again instead. When I think of Lana Del Rey, I think of a character, and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that, but that character died after Honeymoon. BTD/P + UV + HM feel like a trilogy that needs to stand completely alone. Not just having seats at the table, but having a whole table to themselves. And obviously it is amazing that Lana is growing and changing, but oddly enough, in some ways it has felt less like *she* is changing and more like the Lana Del Rey persona has started to fade. Which again isn’t a bad thing at all! But even now, when I hear the name Lana Del Rey I can’t help but still think about the character and the 2011-2015 persona/aesthetic/imagery, and I have a hard time believing she still wants to be perceived like that these days anyway.

Strongly disagree with this. Just because an artist goes through changes or loses interest in a particular aesthetic doesn’t mean they have to change their stage name. The songs from BTD-HM are about real things that happened to her just like her newer stuff is. Different writing styles/imagery does not change that. I think every album represents an important part of her journey as an artist. 

5 hours ago, Urbanney said:

I love that yours is short and sweet! I feel like Wild at Heart is a good, fun, celebratory closer too.

Hide contents
  1. White Dress
  2. Chemtrails
  3. Tulsa Jesus Freak
  4. Wildflower Wildfire
  5. Nectar of the Gods
  6. Not All Who Wander Are Lost
  7. Black Bathing Suit
  8. If You Lie Down With Me
  9. Dealer
  10. Dark But Just a Game
  11. Blue Banisters
  12. Breaking Up Slowly
  13. Yosemite
  14. Cherry Blossom

Idk, it's kind of an unpopular opinion but shorter playlists make me want to listen more often. 12 songs is a good number imo.

Yosemite is second to last on yours too, I guess it belongs somewhere near the end of a playlist! I love that you included NAWWAL too, it's such a cute song.   

20230718-113117.gif

On 8/15/2022 at 8:28 AM, niandra lades said:

To me, Honeymoon was the last great (and the greatest) thing we got from her. The later releases don't hit the note for me but there are songs I like and I adore her nevertheless. It's just my personal opinion. I miss those days :( my past is not something I like to remember, but what I'd give to go back to 2012-2015 to listen to that music for the first time again... ♥️ Still got a Lust For Life tattoo on my body anyways. 

Same here. I love the rest of her albums but I looooove everything until Honeymoon and plan to buy every record including Paradise. Other albums are more tied to my personal nostalgia and the vibes and I rarely come back to listen to them. I completely stopped listening to Blue Banisters except the title track only a couple of months after it was released. It was too moody and not in a good Lana Del Rey way. 

I'm fucking crazy, but I'm free 

93b488e8eb088d879c7e1857356c23ac.gif

Just now, jamesss said:

i have a theory that lana del rey’s a lizard person. 

lizzzzzzzzy grant 

1 minute ago, DeadSeaOfMercury said:

IT MEANS WERE GETTING AN ALBUM!!!

:lmaoney:

YEEEESASSS QUEENS PUSSY PIWER CUNTY MAMAS SLAY GIRLBOSS AHHHHH

glitterfy3004543T778B81.gif

4 minutes ago, The Stargirl Pinky said:

I’m just gonna call it, you’re definitely Ben :mj2:

it’s me ben ldr9 confirmed as a 19 track album with 11 minute songs of lana scatting to instrumental sinatra songs with banjos 

8 minutes ago, DragonWhore said:

;) 

:excited:

glitterfy3004543T778B81.gif