Elle

TEMPORARY Chemtrails Over the Country Club - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 19th, 2021

3 minutes ago, RELIGION said:
  Hide contents

should I just listen to it. I have it ready to listen on my desktop since yesterday. theres no way its just gonna sit there til next fri

get yourself comfortable and ascend baby girl

3 minutes ago, RELIGION said:
  Hide contents

should I just listen to it. I have it ready to listen on my desktop since yesterday. theres no way its just gonna sit there til next fri

Spoiler

do it, her second best album

im gonna say something controversial yet brave

Spoiler

Love you like a woman and White Dress should switch places on the tracklisting. LYLAW just gives NFR/Mariner's Apartment opening/welcoming/theme/tone vibes, she is THAT bitch verified on twitter!

4 minutes ago, CinnamonGay said:

??

nfr Had 66k pure sales. 30k seems low for preorder??

How much did NFR have in pre orders USA.

This may be a reach but I think fans favoured the NFR cover over the COCC cover and that's why maybe the pre order sales for vinyls are low this time. Also we only heard two songs and a snippet from COCC before it's pre order , but with NFR we heard quite a lot more beforehand

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

Spoiler

My initial thoughts. Overall, I like the album a lot. For me, it's a great improvement on NFR!. 

White Dress: I'm not sure why she decided to use that raspy, shrill voice, but I'm sure she had her reasons. I'm not bothered by it. It's an amazing song, very beautiful. I wouldn't mind also hearing it sung in a 'normal' voice. 

COCC: As I've already said, I think COCC the song is one of her crowning achievements, if not her best ever, at least to me. I love how she melds the original LDR persona with the newer, from jewels, pools and sports cars to doing the laundry. Everything about it is perfect, and the drum outro suits it well. 

Tulsa Jesus Freak: I don't think we've ever heard anything like this from anyone, ever, so it certainly is original. I can't say I love it, but I like it a lot. 

LMLYLAW: Being a traditional pop/love song in format, it works in the context of the album and provides some ballast for the less traditionally written and arranged songs. It's slight, but I like it more since I've heard the title track and the now the rest of the album. 

Wild At Heart: This is my favorite from the record, other than COCC and Yosemite. I love how it explodes about a minute into the song. The different sections don't fit together, or aren't produced, seamlessly, but that may be by intent. If this is what LDR means by 'country music,' then please, bring it on. "The cameras have flashes/they cause the car crashes" part, musically, reminds me of another very famous song, but which? Does anyone else recognize it? Her voice sounds tremendous and the climax/outro is amazing. 

Dark But Just A Game: This seems to be a favorite of most here. I like it--I would love it, but the chipper, upbeat "we keep changing all the time" part sounds extremely Beatleseque to my ears (and a little like Cheap Trick too, who were heavily influenced by the Beatles). And for me, the Beatles have always sounded dated. So I sort of cringe whenever that part comes on. I doubt it that part will ever not stick out like a sore thumb for me. 

Not All Who Wander Are Lost: For me, this is the track that's the easiest to overlook, but I like it. It has the same mediative quality that some of the others have. Again, is this an example of what LDR thinks of as 'country music'? If so then she's not thinking of 'country pop,' which I think most 'country music' is today. This and WAH are more in the 'Americana' tradition to me. The instrumentation is terrific. What is the male voice saying in the background? 

Yosemite: This is, with COCC and WAH, the standout track for me. Wow. And, like many have said here, it doesn't sound like a 'happy' song to me, for which I'm glad. I love how when she says, "we did it for the right, right reasons," the last word goes on the downbeat, rather than taking a happy or happier upturn swing. It fits in well with everything else here, but it would not have fit in very well with the final version of the  'Lust For Life' album, so I'm glad she removed it. It's too real, too authentic, to have stood next to the final pop-heavy version of the LFL title track, though I could see it melding with 'White Mustang.' No wonder it was her favorite from that album. 

Breaking Up Slowly: The jury is still out on this one for me.  I haven't been able to appreciate it yet.

Dance Till We Die: The jury is also out here. As others have noted, the second half of the song is amazing, but as a whole, I haven't gotten into it so far. 

For Free: I would have preferred LDR have sung the entire track herself, with just featured background vocalists (if necessary). The Mitchell original is so minimal and humble that it is a difficult song to cover or improve upon, like most of Mitchell's work. LDR has made it somewhat more celebratory here, and I'm getting used to those parts. Certainly it has to be considered a success overall as a cover. 

In sum, I like the album a good deal and think it's a big step forward for Lana. She's now even more of an 'artist's artist' than she was. I can see Springsteen and other musicians of his generation listening to it by intent, as we know Joan Baez, a generation earlier than Springstween, already is. And that includes musicians who came a generation after Springsteen (more or less), like Tori Amos. Lana is not only to be enjoyed, she's a force to be dealt with. The songwriting, overall, is superb. 

It's definitely not 'commercial,' which is fine as far as I'm concerned. It's almost hard to imagine that the singer of 'Summertime Sadness' and 'Yosemite' are the same individual. 

4 minutes ago, Pale Fire said:

girl I’m sorry but I just do not vibe with the title track at ALL. Had me so worried about the album. The lines about washing ur hair.. doing the laundry.... astrology... it just feels so basique 

sameeeeeeeee. also not a fan of 'over the country cluuUHHHhahaHUUUhahahHUUUB"

Spoiler

One thing I can say (apart from thinking that this is her best album, certainly most musically sophisticated album) is that it’s definitely her *weirdest * album, and rawest for sure sonically. So many structural twists and turns, I’ve always loved that about tracks like West Coast and Get Free for their unusual tonal shifts mid-song, and she’s made a good chunk of  these kinds of songs on this album. It’s dynamic, and I don’t see myself not listening to this album all the way through in its entirety when I do listen to it - it’s such a fully rounded statement piece, which is why I think the shorter tracklist is actually a good thing. There are no favourites for me in that regard - I love the whole thing. I really hope the critics see what I can see. This blows Norman Fucking Rockwell out of the water.

I’ve been a diehard fan since the beginning, and it’s been so gratifying to grow up for ten years to her music and watch her lyrical persona grow with me in a sort of musical character development. I admittedly didn’t think I’d be listening to easily my favourite album of hers in the lead-up to the release, but it really is. Ugh, I am embarrassingly proud of her for this album.

(Album review)

Just now, ByDayAnother said:
  Hide contents

One thing I can say (apart from thinking that this is her best album, certainly most musically sophisticated album) is that it’s definitely her *weirdest * album, and rawest for sure sonically. So many structural twists and turns, I’ve always loved that about tracks like West Coast and Get Free for their unusual tonal shifts mid-song, and she’s made a good chunk of  these kinds of songs on this album. It’s dynamic, and I don’t see myself not listening to this album all the way through in its entirety when I do listen to it - it’s such a fully rounded statement piece, which is why I think the shorter tracklist is actually a good thing. There are no favourites for me in that regard - I love the whole thing. I really hope the critics see what I can see. This blows Norman Fucking Rockwell out of the water.

I’ve been a diehard fan since the beginning, and it’s been so gratifying to grow up for ten years to her music and watch her lyrical persona grow with me in a sort of musical character development. I admittedly didn’t think I’d be listening to easily my favourite album of hers in the lead-up to the release, but it really is. Ugh, I am embarrassingly proud of her for this album.

Spoiler

You explained my thoughts and feelings about this album perfectly. The album is raw, vulnerable, dynamic, experimental - an instant classic.