Elle

TEMPORARY Chemtrails Over the Country Club - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 19th, 2021

Spoiler

Yosemite... yosemite. Please. Kill me already. What a song. Pls nom YOSEMITE or DBJAG or WHITE DRESS FOR SOTY. BENNY EDDY. ... 

Lyrically This album feels more accessible ? Compared to HM(her most complex imo) or even LFL.

Easier to understand for noobs like me. 

Feels very UV/Sirens lyrically. 

=) 

Imagine playing this in a cottage in the middle of the forest at night..and your partner and u dance to yosemite,while making love to TJF. And then lie down together listening to NAWWAL/LMLYLAW..the dream.

Waking up to For Freeeeeeeeeee.

1 hour ago, yourolllikethunder said:

me rn: https://ibb.co/GvXDdhk

[ps - how do you add a photo or outside GIF here? Every time I do it never shows up and just looks like that^]

right click --> copy image location --> paste. Your link should have an "image" format for it to work (e.g. .gif, .jpg, .png, etc.)

F4-FADE9-A-8-A84-476-A-9-B5-F-5553033-CC

Spoiler

Does someone know it court tried to burn her house when they were enemies or whatever? Or is it like a joke??

Is Courtney ok with Lana saying that?

I can see Courtney doing weird shit anyways..cant even understand 1% of the things she comments on Lana's pics lolo... 

Spoiler

Okay... finally getting around to my full review of COTCC that no one asked for.

1. White Dress: a stunning album opener. In my opinion, this is one of Lana's best songs because of the vulnerability, rawness, and emotion that shines through. We get a glimpse of what she's thinking and feeling - her fondly looking back at her younger years when she wasn't famous and enjoy the simple things in life. I personally adore her vocals on this song. I think it perfectly captures the emotion she is trying to convey. I also love how everything seems to move in slow motion after the chorus, into the second verse, and throughout the second chorus. Just a gorgeous, dreamy, yet bittersweet track that is definitely a standout in her discography. 10/10

2. Chemtrails Over The Country Club: this song is it. When it was first released, I could not stop listening to it. it's full of slow build ups and releases, and the outro is one of her best outros on a song in my opinion. The jazziness of the percussion really make this track. The notion of her settling into the every day, and accepting the fate of things out of her control while focusing on the things most important to her in life, I think, perfectly illustrate the themes throughout this album. She looks at the chemtrails as something that is simply pretty to look at, and not at what they may actually mean. Again, another standout. 10/10

3. Tulsa Jesus Freak: I was the most excited to hear this. From the snippet we heard back in the summer, I knew it had the potential to be one of my favourite Lana songs ever, and she did not disappoint. The imagery and symbolism she is able to create is just pure genius. The use of autotune, also genius. It's just such a perfect track from her breathy vocals, to the subtle adlibs and laughs she adds so deeply into the background. I cried when she started singing the "white hot forever" part. Her voice just melts into my ears and is so soothing. 10/10

4. Let Me Love You Like A Woman: I was actually into this song when it first came out. After a few weeks though, I will say it did fade into the background for me quite a bit. In the context of this record, I think it fits perfectly. It's a nice bridge between TJF and WAH. That being said, it still isn't my favourite on this album, but the bridge is really pretty. Again continuing with the soft percussion, I think it adds a lot to the song. 7/10

5. Wild At Heart: The verses on this song are just so precious. The HTD sampling was pretty jarring. Lana does things with intention, so I don't see how that was just a random choice, especially with the hints of Love Song and Hope that can also be heard. It's an enjoyable track, and again, one that slowly builds and releases. 8/10

6. Dark But Just A Game: simply a career highlight. The 90s/00s vibes I get from this are immaculate. I love the bass in the verses, I love the lyrics, I love the chorus. It sounds similar to The Weeknd's Starboy in the best way. I really think this is the most accessible track of the album. 9/10

7. Not All Who Wander Are Lost: This one grew on me really quickly. The way she sings the verses. dragging out syllables mid-line, just hits me every single time. Her ability to draw emotion simply from her delivery is one of the many many things I love about Lana. She is SO intentioned with everything that she does, and it makes songs like this one that much better. It gives me such Lizzy vibes - reminds me of Pawn Shop Blues. The chorus builds with her harmonising with herself in the most epic way. It's such a sweet little song. 10/10

8. Yosemite: This. I love the folkiness of this track. It is so dreamy, yet ominous, witchy, and also happy (?). Such a unique and interesting sound (although some parts remind me of Change, but that's not a bad thing!!) I honestly think this is another standout on this record. The bridge is my favourite bridge on this album, and one of my favourite Lana bridges ever. The instrumentation and her sing song/speaking voice compliment each other so so well. My heart also breaks at the way she sings, "withstanding all the time, changes and seasons". It is a masterpiece. 10/10

9. Breaking Up Slowly: I just adore this song. I honestly love Nikki Lane's voice, and I think it compliments Lana's. Because of the live snippets we heard, I was hoping there would be a more impactful bridge. I wish the song was just a tiiiiny bit longer, possibly with some drums at the end for a slow build. I think they also could've had the instrumentation linger for a bit and played around with some vocal variations. Otherwise, a gorgeous track. 8.5/10

10. Dance Till We Die: don't get me wrong, this is a cute lil song. The bridge is fantastic. But it just doesn't stand out to me. This one is the only song on the album that feels like filler. It is pretty anticlimatic (again, with the exception of the bridge) which is strange because the whole album, as mentioned previously, is a whole bunch of slow builds and releases. I think a song like I Talk to Jesus or Pawn Shop Blues would've fit better here. 7/10

11. For Free: this is a really beautiful cover. I just wish Lana was more the centre in this song. Nonetheless, it is one of the better covers she has done, but I can see myself skipping this one. 8/10

Overall Album Rating: 9/10.

Main Points: This is Lana at her most raw, vulnerable, and intimate. This album feels like a warm hug. I feel like I understand her more now, and who she is, and who she is becoming. I just love her so much and I am so proud of who she has grown into as an artist. This album feels like an instant classic and is the perfect length and cohesiveness I expected from her. This is objectively one of her best records, and I cannot wait to see the art she creates in the future. 

Main Criticisms: I wish Lana's voice was the centre in songs like BUS and FF. This is arguably her most personal album, so I feel like it would've been better suited in order to tell her story. Also, the album cover makes no sense in the context of the album, thematically. I get lonely, running away, hiding from fame throughout this album, which the cover does not accurately portray. It's cute though.

1 hour ago, War In My Mind said:

right click --> copy image location --> paste. Your link should have an "image" format for it to work (e.g. .gif, .jpg, .png, etc.)

F4-FADE9-A-8-A84-476-A-9-B5-F-5553033-CC

Thanks so much!!

1 hour ago, iiPanda said:

Right click on the image -> open image -> paste the link in here

Thank you!

I don’t think this needs to be a spoiler, but it amazes me how Lana has managed to keep her voice healthy despite her smoking habit. She never sounded better than on the new album, her voice is so bright, you can hear that her technique has improved by miles.

Spoiler

Even when she belts closed vowels like in For Free, there’s no rasp, it’s all so clear and well executed!

Now she vapes, but it should technically still affect her voice (it kinda did during the NFR tour, but I believe it was also tiredness + she was already recording the new album, she never really took a break). I wonder what she does to keep it healthy. She’s really lucky, I’ve never seen a smoker singer keeping their voice in such a good shape. And Lana’s only getting better with time... like, wth

I'll do it for the right reasons

Withstanding all the time, changes and seasons

~?~

44 minutes ago, Nadia14 said:
  Hide contents

Okay... finally getting around to my full review of COTCC that no one asked for.

1. White Dress: a stunning album opener. In my opinion, this is one of Lana's best songs because of the vulnerability, rawness, and emotion that shines through. We get a glimpse of what she's thinking and feeling - her fondly looking back at her younger years when she wasn't famous and enjoy the simple things in life. I personally adore her vocals on this song. I think it perfectly captures the emotion she is trying to convey. I also love how everything seems to move in slow motion after the chorus, into the second verse, and throughout the second chorus. Just a gorgeous, dreamy, yet bittersweet track that is definitely a standout in her discography. 10/10

2. Chemtrails Over The Country Club: this song is it. When it was first released, I could not stop listening to it. it's full of slow build ups and releases, and the outro is one of her best outros on a song in my opinion. The jazziness of the percussion really make this track. The notion of her settling into the every day, and accepting the fate of things out of her control while focusing on the things most important to her in life, I think, perfectly illustrate the themes throughout this album. She looks at the chemtrails as something that is simply pretty to look at, and not at what they may actually mean. Again, another standout. 10/10

3. Tulsa Jesus Freak: I was the most excited to hear this. From the snippet we heard back in the summer, I knew it had the potential to be one of my favourite Lana songs ever, and she did not disappoint. The imagery and symbolism she is able to create is just pure genius. The use of autotune, also genius. It's just such a perfect track from her breathy vocals, to the subtle adlibs and laughs she adds so deeply into the background. I cried when she started singing the "white hot forever" part. Her voice just melts into my ears and is so soothing. 10/10

4. Let Me Love You Like A Woman: I was actually into this song when it first came out. After a few weeks though, I will say it did fade into the background for me quite a bit. In the context of this record, I think it fits perfectly. It's a nice bridge between TJF and WAH. That being said, it still isn't my favourite on this album, but the bridge is really pretty. Again continuing with the soft percussion, I think it adds a lot to the song. 7/10

5. Wild At Heart: The verses on this song are just so precious. The HTD sampling was pretty jarring. Lana does things with intention, so I don't see how that was just a random choice, especially with the hints of Love Song and Hope that can also be heard. It's an enjoyable track, and again, one that slowly builds and releases. 8/10

6. Dark But Just A Game: simply a career highlight. The 90s/00s vibes I get from this are immaculate. I love the bass in the verses, I love the lyrics, I love the chorus. It sounds similar to The Weeknd's Starboy in the best way. I really think this is the most accessible track of the album. 9/10

7. Not All Who Wander Are Lost: This one grew on me really quickly. The way she sings the verses. dragging out syllables mid-line, just hits me every single time. Her ability to draw emotion simply from her delivery is one of the many many things I love about Lana. She is SO intentioned with everything that she does, and it makes songs like this one that much better. It gives me such Lizzy vibes - reminds me of Pawn Shop Blues. The chorus builds with her harmonising with herself in the most epic way. It's such a sweet little song. 10/10

8. Yosemite: This. I love the folkiness of this track. It is so dreamy, yet ominous, witchy, and also happy (?). Such a unique and interesting sound (although some parts remind me of Change, but that's not a bad thing!!) I honestly think this is another standout on this record. The bridge is my favourite bridge on this album, and one of my favourite Lana bridges ever. The instrumentation and her sing song/speaking voice compliment each other so so well. My heart also breaks at the way she sings, "withstanding all the time, changes and seasons". It is a masterpiece. 10/10

9. Breaking Up Slowly: I just adore this cover. I honestly love Nikki Lane's voice, and I think it compliments Lana's. Because of the live snippets we heard, I was hoping there would be a more impactful bridge. I wish the song was just a tiiiiny bit longer, possibly with some drums at the end for a slow build. I think they also could've had the instrumentation linger for a bit and played around with some vocal variations. Otherwise, a gorgeous track. 8.5/10

10. Dance Till We Die: don't get me wrong, this is a cute lil song. The bridge is fantastic. But it just doesn't stand out to me. This one is the only song on the album that feels like filler. It is pretty anticlimatic (again, with the exception of the bridge) which is strange because the whole album, as mentioned previously, is a whole bunch of slow builds and releases. I think a song like I Talk to Jesus or Pawn Shop Blues would've fit better here. 7/10

11. For Free: this is a really beautiful cover. I just wish Lana was more the centre in this song. Nonetheless, it is one of the better covers she has done, but I can see myself skipping this one. 8/10

Overall Album Rating: 9/10.

Main Points: This is Lana at her most raw, vulnerable, and intimate. This album feels like a warm hug. I feel like I understand her more now, and who she is, and who she is becoming. I just love her so much and I am so proud of who she has grown into as an artist. This album feels like an instant classic and is the perfect length and cohesiveness I expected from her. This is objectively one of her best records, and I cannot wait to see the art she creates in the future. 

Main Criticisms: I wish Lana's voice was the centre in songs like BUS and FF. This is arguably her most personal album, so I feel like it would've been better suited in order to tell her story. Also, the album cover makes no sense in the context of the album, thematically. I get lonely, running away, hiding from fame throughout this album, which the cover does not accurately portray. It's cute though.

Breaking Up Slowly is a cover? Since when?

3 hours ago, AphroditeBaby said:
  Hide contents

I cant stop raving about White Dress... Every time I listen to it it feels like an entire life lived and gone and I am always in a different place emotionally by the end when she finally says 'Maybe I Was Better Off' and it trails off... Like, the lyrics really are kind of vague minus some scenic images and concepts, but It still feels like its saying so much from the passion in her vocals and Jack's subdued riffing in the background frames it SO perfectly.

It's like that vein of confessional singer-songwriter "ballad" (using that term loosely) like HIADT or MAC or The Greatest, and I think the best take at it she's done so far. It's very easily top 5 in her discography for me, up there with Venice Bitch, West Coast, etc. 

100%:party: Venice Bitch, West Coast, Ride and then White FUCKING Dress! It's so good. One of her greatest songs ever. 

11 hours ago, Corona said:
  Hide contents

Ok but the TJF outro:lange:

The muffled, almost drowned chorus vocals:trisha:

The autotuned layered vocal:defeated:

The speaking:angie:

IT'S SO GOOD

Spoiler

we need to figure out what she’s saying in the background :creepna3:

Spoiler

WHITE DRESS IS A CAREER HIGHLIGHT :lange::wowcry:

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2: