Elle

TEMPORARY Chemtrails Over the Country Club - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 19th, 2021

3 hours ago, Pico Boulevard said:
  Hide contents

HONEYMOON-ULTRAVIOLENCE-CHEMTRAILS OVER THE COUNTRY CLUB 

THE HOLY TRINITY :legend:

*sign of the cross* Amen. 

So, after being pretty unsure about how I feel about the record and after listening to it a few times more, this would be my ranking/ track-by-track-review:

11. For Free
I like the cover, I like the collaboration but it still kind of fails to be a nice experience outside of a live-perfomance. The way they are not actually harmonizing together but suddendly shout FOR FREEEEEEEEEE during the chorus kills it.

10. Breaking Up Slowly
Would have been better aas a 100% Nikki Lane project, the song fits her much better and Lana kind of pales in comparison.

09. Not All Who Wander Are Lost
The lyrics are nice and I like the folky-high-register-ballad concept behind the song, but the production is so empty that it ends up being a bore. Especially when comparing it to other folky songs like Yosemite, it just does not

08. Let Me Love You Like A Woman
It's a cute song that sometimes gets stuck in my head, but I guess the effect only exists because it was released as a single. The production is underwhelming and a perfect example for Jacks' "I play the same 3 chords again and again" concept of making a minimalistic song boring.

07. Dance Till We Die
I like the subtle, slightly campy mood of this song. The brass--band during the chorus is a great detail and her vocal delivery is pretty good. The bridge is one of the album's most fun moments. The whole song has a slight Bobby-Gentry-esque vibe, which I really enjoy. Overall a good one, even though definitly not a big highlight/ standalone track.

06. Wild At Heart
The mixture of "classic-Lana-sound" with some slight country-influences is really nice on this one. The chorus has this big, almost Nancy Sinatra-like momentum and I think the soundscape of it really matches perfectly with the message.

05. White Dress
It's a pretty exciting song, and I think that it could be a huge grower. The vocals are so .. special and unique, even though - or maybe because - they are so flawed.

04. Tulsa Jesus Freak
I was a bit disappointed during my first listen, because even though it's catchy and sexy, it's also really weird and chaotic. But once you got into it, you really appreciate the experimental autotune-fiddling.

03. Yosemite
Ah, finally. I really LOVE how the "We did it for fun"-chorus is just as good as I always pictured it would be. This song has is giving me big Mazzy-Star-vibes.

02. Dark Bust Just A Game
It's catchy, it's weird, it's dark, it's sooo Lana  - I love it.

01. Chemtrails Over The Country Club
When this song was first released, I would have never thought that it would take the top-spot in my ranking lol. I still think that it's one of her weaker title-tracks, and while I see what she tried to do with the lyrics, my view on their failure to live up to the dramatic title still stands. HOWEVER I love the call-and-response-like structure, the flow of her high an low registers, the catchieness of the melody ... "You're in the wind, I'm in the water; nobody's son, nobody's daughter" still gives me the shivers.

On the one hand I feel like this is an album you need to listen to as a whole, because it's so synthetic, well-flowng and the songs on their own are not really standalone-experiences. On the other hand, I feel that the second half of it is a bit of a drag, everything from NAHWAL on  blurrs into one slow, slightly dull moment.
The record is nice, I'm a huge folk-fan and I likemore calmer, less pop-ish music. But either CoCC really grows on me after a while, or it will be one I rarely think of in the future. So far, it's a bit underwhelmingand and I feel like half of the songs are overshadowed even by weaker tracks from other albums. I don't have any strong negative feelings for it, but I'm not very excited about it either.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

6 minutes ago, MagdaleneRay said:

Expected cocc to be longer, barely 45 mins

I love that. Most of her albums are a bit bloated. NFR would've been better sans American Record, and Lust for Life in particular could've dropped at least 3 tracks. 

1 hour ago, kendrzej said:
  Hide contents

I bet someone else said it already, but imagine how powerful the 'summer is almost gone' line from White Dress would be if the album was released on September 5th as it was supposed to be :defeated: Like I just feel it doesnt feel as powerful and relatable when the album is released in March 

Summers is almost gone were I live :tongue:

I remember when during one of the lives, Lana said that she and Jack were a match made in heaven. I thought it was cute. :) I generally think it is important to work with people that you like, and it always seemed to me that they really are friends. Plus, they created together a loooot of great tracks already, I would be surprised if anybody here did not love at least one of them.

But the same with Ben. I think a lot of people dislike him here with no good reason. With him I also had impression that they are close with Lana, and he is giving her a lot of freedom that she probably needs. But still, a lot of negativity here. I think we should trust Lana's choices. I am sure she knows what and who is best for her and her music.

Spoiler

I’m in a TJF spiral today!

I’ve had it on repeat since waking. 

The longing in her voice, the outro, her talking in the background, the giggles.  

The fact that it’s so short but changes up so much and packs such a punch in that small runtime.

Just wow, yes!

Do you guys think we will reach the 4000 pages this time?:smokes:

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

1 minute ago, Pico Boulevard said:

Do you guys think we will reach the 4000 pages this time?:smokes:

Considering it’s still a week out I’m going to say yes!

Did we go through this with the other albums? Full leak and discussion a week before release? I am a little disappointed.  Not mad at anyone here as posts are hidden.  Just takes some air out of the balloon.  Once it is released I bet there will be a huge media explosion that will  make these days a dim memory. 

Am I wrong or is DBJAG

sampling both The Greatest  (during the first instrumental post-chorus, shortly before the beat of the second verse sets in again) and Venice Bitch (in the middle of the second verse, shortly before the "I was a pretty little thing"-line). Both would make sense - The Greatest being about cultural decline fits in with her being disillusioned about her idols, and Venice Bitch fits in with the topic of faced innocence. Generally, I feel like the production on that song is very NFR-esque, especially the guitar has major VB-vibes.

1 minute ago, FredRed said:

Did we go through this with the other albums? Full leak and discussion a week before release? I am a little disappointed.  Not mad at anyone here as posts are hidden.  Just takes some air out of the balloon.  Once it is released I bet there will be a huge media explosion that will  make these days a dim memory. 

Norman leaked just a few days too early (I think it was 3 days?) and I can't remember how early LFL leaked, just that Love leaked way too early. I think the rest of LFL leaked maybe a week early too? Can't remember...

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

2 minutes ago, Clampigirl said:

Norman leaked just a few days too early (I think it was 3 days?) and I can't remember how early LFL leaked, just that Love leaked way too early. I think the rest of LFL leaked maybe a week early too? Can't remember...

I think it was the other way round (?). NFR leaked about a week early and LFL only leaked some days before the album release.

2 minutes ago, Thunder Corpse said:

I think it was the other way round (?). NFR leaked about a week early and LFL only leaked some days before the album release.

yeah i'm pretty sure L4L leaked the wednesday 

nfr leaked in lq 13 days before? and then hq a few days after

13 minutes ago, Thunder Corpse said:

My NFR! timeline says it leaked August 27th, and the release day was 30th. :oopna: The greatest and FIILY leaked on August 15th though. And then my timeline says the album leaked (in LQ I assume) on August 17th,

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

Yeah I think LFL was just a few days early. Norman was a mess due to the FILY/Greatest google music fiasco and then it “leaking” in the quality it did lol. 

I’d say though for us to get a HQ leak over a week early for this one was kind of surprising. Yet again I suppose not. Her albums always leak. 

It’s adding an interesting dynamic to the thread though lol. ?