Elle

TEMPORARY Chemtrails Over the Country Club - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 19th, 2021

My album rankings:

01 - Chemtrails over the Country Club - I'm being dead serious here. Long story short, I moved out of the city late last year and relocated to a more rural, peaceful area. I feel like I can breathe again. Some of my favorite songs by Lana are Venice Bitch, Tomorrow Never Came, Ride, Happiness Is A Butterfly... I also loved the instrumentals Jack and Lana made for Violet. Everything about this album - the nostalgia, the longing, feeling unsure about your future but knowing what you'd like it to be, realizing that maybe the dreams you had in your 20s aren't going to be the most fulfilling in your 30s... hits really hard for me (I just turned 30, too!). I love the slightly more airy, jazzy sound of this album, along with its intimacy and vulnerability. Sonically, I also get hints of John Frusciante (DBJAG), Bruce Springsteen (Dance Till We Die), Lou Reed/The Velvet Underground + Spacemen 3 (Not All Who Wander Are Lost), Vashti Bunyan (Yosemite), Joni (obviously) -- some of my favorite artists. It only makes sense I would love this album now after hearing it in full. 

02 - Norman Fucking Rockwell! - Lana firing on all cylinders. Ambitious and beautiful. My favorite songs are the ones that explore her "surf" elements, and I love that she & Jack primarily expanded on the guitar work here on Chemtrails.

03 - Honeymoon - Still love getting lost in this album's glamorous, deeply introverted universe.

04 - Ultraviolence - Still an extremely gorgeous, dark, smoky album. I'll never forget the way I felt hearing Cruel World or West Coast for the first time. If you had told me UV would be #4 in my list 7 years later I would be shocked.

05 - Lust For Life - A bit of a mess due to her conflicting moods at the time, but still a fascinating, unique album. Who else has Playboi Carti and Stevie Nicks on the same project?

06 - Born to Die - A classic, and will always be a classic. I played this album out when it was released, and I'm still in love with the majestic, glamorous strings. That said, I feel I've grown alongside her, and connect even more with the style of music she's been making since moving on from this album. 

07 - Paradise - The first time Lana showed us she can build a world within a world, and a small hint of how versatile she can be as an artist. I still enjoy this mini-album, but if I had to choose her least essential project, this would be it (although Ride is undoubtedly one of her most important songs).

Sorry for rambling, thx for reading!

Spoiler

I always envisioned Yosemite to be like a bright sunny morning with rainbows from the mist from the waterfalls and just a quiet heavenly atmosphere. Its so weird how it almost feels the opposite to that, it feels so eerie and ominous. Its like the Neil Krug album cover, a cloudy misty morning right before the sun rises. The bridge also gives me late night in a cabin deep in the wilderness vibes. Its so fucking cool and I love that so much, what an ethereal song. :legend:

Y0jLcfB.gif.˚₊‧.༻𓆩❤︎𓆪 My love's pourin' 𓆩‪‪❤︎𓆪༺.‧₊˚. yxuiMLe.gif
34h2wyS.gif

°l||l°l||l°l||l°l||l°l||l°l||Like a waterfall.||l°l||l°l||l°l||l°l||l°l||

1:32━━━━━♡────2:42

⇆ | ◁◁ ▐ ▌ ▷▷ | ↺

Spoiler

This really is amazing album- I genuinely love every song besides the duets. TFJ is so much more than I imagined, the autotune is so cute and playful and really helps the song. I thought Yosemite would be a dud but it’s so fucking haunting. What saves the sparser production in some songs are her immaculate vocal layerings and deliveries. I sure hope a lot of these get live performances and she doesn’t just forget this albums existence like Honeymoon and NFR. I actually enjoy this so much more than NFR. Guitar based songs > piano based anyday. The lyrics throughout the entire record are amazing too, some of her most impressive. The Jack haters really lost with this one, he produces her vocals better than anyone has before, keeping them direct at the forefront and not drowned away in effects. 

8 minutes ago, Poor Stacy said:

My album rankings:

Reveal hidden contents

01 - Chemtrails over the Country Club - I'm being dead serious here. Long story short, I moved out of the city late last year and relocated to a more rural, peaceful area. Some of my favorite songs by Lana are Venice Bitch, Tomorrow Never Came, Ride, Happiness Is A Butterfly... I also loved the instrumentals Jack and Lana made for Violet. Everything about this album - the nostalgia, the longing, feeling unsure about your future but knowing what you'd like it to be, realizing that maybe the dreams you had in your 20s aren't going to be the most fulfilling in your 30s... hits really hard for me (I just turned 30, too!). I love the intimacy and vulnerability of this album. Sonically, I also get hints of John Frusciante (DBJAG), Bruce Springsteen (Dance Till We Die), Lou Reed/The Velvet Underground + Spacemen 3 (Not All Who Wander Are Lost), Vashti Bunyan (Yosemite), Joni (obviously) -- some of my favorite artists. It only makes sense I would love this album now after hearing it in full. 

02 - Norman Fucking Rockwell! - Lana firing on all cylinders. Ambitious and beautiful. 

03 - Honeymoon - Still love getting lost in this album's glamorous, deeply introverted universe.

04 - Ultraviolence - Still an extremely gorgeous, dark, smoky album. I'll never forget the way I felt hearing Cruel World or West Coast for the first time. If you had told me UV would be #4 in my list 7 years later I would be shocked.

05 - Lust For Life - A bit of a mess due to her conflicting moods at the time, but still a fascinating, unique album. Who else has Playboi Carti and Stevie Nicks on the same project?

06 - Born to Die - A classic, and will always be a classic. I played this album out when it was released, and I'm still in love with the majestic, glamorous strings. That said, I feel I've grown alongside her, and connect even more with the style of music she's been making since moving on from this album. 

07 - Paradise - The first time Lana showed us she can build a world within a world, and a small hint of how versatile she can be as an artist. I still enjoy this mini-album, but if I had to choose her least essential project, this would be it (although Ride is undoubtedly one of her most important songs).

Sorry for rambling, thx for reading!

Same :wowcry:

37 minutes ago, EndlessSummer said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Ranking so far

Spoiler

1. Dark But Just A Game (my new fav, there’s something so different about it which I love)

2. White Dress (beautiful, love the way she says “down in Orlando”)

3. Yosemite (worth the wait, love the instrumental and lyrics)

4. Tulsa Jesus Freak (so catchy and I love the “white hot forever and ever amen” part)

5. Chemtrails Over The Country Club (one of her best title tracks imo)

6. Dance Till We Die (the bridge is immaculate omg)

7. Breaking Up Slowly (Really like this especially Lana’s part)

8. Not All Who Wander Are Lost (Again, I like it a lot and I will need more time to fully appreciate it)

9. For Free (love the original and not a fan of Zella’s voice but it’s good)

10. Wild At Heart (I had this at the top of my ranking before the songs came out and was a bit disappointed when I heard it. Don’t really like how the chorus samples HTD but will need more time with it)

11. Let Me Love You Like A Woman (Cute but the rest of them are much better than this song, love the bridge tho)

Spoiler

1. Dance Til We Die

2. Dark But Just A Game 

3. not all who wander are lost
4. White Hot Forever

5. Chemtrails Over The Country Club

6. Let Me Love you Like A Woman 

7. Yosemite

8. White Dress

9. Wild At Heart

10. For Free

11. Breaking Up Slowly

6 minutes ago, boom like that said:
  Hide contents

I always envisioned Yosemite to be like a bright sunny morning with rainbows from the mist from the waterfalls and just a quiet heavenly atmosphere. Its so weird how it almost feels the opposite to that, it feels so eerie and ominous. Its like the Neil Krug album cover, a cloudy misty morning right before the sun rises. The bridge also gives me late night in a cabin deep in the wilderness vibes. Its so fucking cool and I love that so much, what an ethereal song. :legend:

Spoiler

You're right, honestly a lot of the album makes me think of the Neil Krug cover. It just fits the music so well. What a missed opportunity. I might just replace the official artwork on iTunes :whatever2:

Spoiler

if she doesn't put Dark But Just A Game on the next setlist im gonna go rabid 200.gif the crowd singing along :omg: and plus I have a feeling it'll be the local's song

Spoiler

am I the only one that hears a Minecraft spider noise at 1:01 in Yosemite :creep: I can't unheard it now 

tumblr_mlk5fk2dDZ1s6jvbvo4_250.gif   tumblr_otaqmarVHa1u9dqtjo3_400.gif  tumblr_mlk5fk2dDZ1s6jvbvo7_250.gif

I know this is basically the post-release thread, so while I haven't read any spoilers or listened to the album yet, I just wanted to say that I feel like her best, rawest, most personal work is imminent, and hopefully you guys who have listened can already say that! :party:

I am so excited! We're only 177 hours away, which is insane. The month of the release is always my favourite :flutter:

3 minutes ago, IanadeIrey said:

I know this is basically the post-release thread, so while I haven't read any spoilers or listened to the album yet, I just wanted to say that I feel like her best, rawest, most personal work is imminent, and hopefully you guys who have listened can already say that! :party:

I am so excited! We're only 177 hours away, which is insane. The month of the release is always my favourite :flutter:

we're so close bestie!! there's only a few of us who haven't listened yet. :trisha:

55-DE2-A0-B-B97-D-4347-B872-77-FA28787-E

miss born to lose

4 minutes ago, IanadeIrey said:

I do feel the same! Can't wait any longer :crying2:

1 minute ago, xxmissdaytonaxx said:

we're so close bestie!! there's only a few of us who haven't listened yet. :trisha:

Just now, 5Rick said:

I do feel the same! Can't wait any longer :crying2:

We got this, friends! It's going to feel so good to *finally* hear the record :oprah: I just know it's going to have us floored! :lange::wub:

1 minute ago, IanadeIrey said:

We got this, friends! It's going to feel so good to *finally* hear the record :oprah: I just know it's going to have us floored! :lange::wub:

Not kidding, but I do have this feeling like it is going to destroy me... omg I’m even scared :lange:

3 minutes ago, IanadeIrey said:

Yes, definitely! It's beautiful how her personality folds out throughout the albums. As someone said before, an instant classic. Can't wait to see what happens next.