Elle

TEMPORARY Chemtrails Over the Country Club - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 19th, 2021

I’d not worry if delayed it won’t be by much, weeks a month. It’s clear the ball is rolling...it won’t be long U̶n̶t̶i̶l̶ ̶ ̶D̶e̶c̶e̶m̶b̶e̶r̶

Arches are Illusions solid at first glance

Tesla Jesus?

I don't know which I'd hate more, a song about Elon Musk or a song about Seany

i just realized i want a lana song titled something like X AE A-Xii just imagine

didn't she say she was going to surprise release this album? if that's the case i doubt she'll be putting out any singles before so that kinda makes sense.

yeah, but then she decided to give us a date so idek what to expect from the release

giphy.gif

Tesla Jesus?

I don't know which I'd hate more, a song about Elon Musk or a song about Seany

Song title:

Amazons, Lemons and Limes       :isee:

didn't she say she was going to surprise release this album? if that's the case i doubt she'll be putting out any singles before so that kinda makes sense.

She said, a year ago, that she wanted a surprise release. Not sure interscope was on board with that or that she didn’t change her mind. I mean, we already have the title, the release date and a snippet. Kinda weird for a surprise release. Whatever this pre-release era is, I’m glad we don’t know too much so close to the supposed release. I wouldn’t be mad with a double single release, with not much more than that. Maybe a couple of snippets in a new trailer the week before. But I want to dive in this album not having heard much of it.

Hmm I suppose it makes sense as to why her label might not be on board with a surprise release. Artists like Beyonce and Taylor can afford to do that because they know their fan bases are huge and always buzzing. Lana would probably blend in the background if she dropped COCC out of nowhere

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

Hmm I suppose it makes sense as to why her label might not be on board with a surprise release. Artists like Beyonce and Taylor can afford to do that because they know their fan bases are huge and always buzzing. Lana would probably blend in the background if she dropped COCC out of nowhere

I disagree, Lana has a strong fan base that would support a surprise release. I feel like even for her casual fans a suprise wouldn't go unnoticed.

I disagree, Lana has a strong fan base that would support a surprise release. I feel like even for her casual fans a suprise wouldn't go unnoticed.

Lana is a top 15 female artist. It’s very good and all, but surprise releases that do incredibly well tend to be for top 5 artists. True, her fan base grows with each record and we do support her, but so many casual fans get confused with her projects (some thought Violet was the Chemtrails and that Tulsa Jesus Freak had leaked because they saw I Talk to Jesus on YouTube...). I don’t know, maybe she is popular enough to surprise drop something, but I’m not sure (she could test it by releasing a little EP between two projects and if it does well, then it would be a good strategy to pursue in the future).

I think we all misinterpreted what Lana meant by a surprise release. I don't think her intention was ever to drop an album like Beyonce, out of the blue. I always assumed she meant no promo cycle, no pre album singles etc. Like she's referenced the album a couple of times before she mentioned a "surprise" drop. I think she just meant it would be more low-key and kinda would just happen, rather than there be a build up to the release date.

What I would really like is a validated release date. Validated by the record company and real promos that just say new album from LDR to be released on xx/xx/xxxx. No snippets or early releases just a count down to the release date. That would be exciting. As it is we can't depend on Lana's version of things and I don't want to see clips of her making cage free scrambled eggs while singing 30 seconds of a new song while a cat howls in the background.

the thing about surprise releases is that i feel it's less about, sayyyy, how much financial power an artist has or even how big their fanbase is - i think it has a lot more to do with how socially acceptable it is to like an artist and their ability to be trendy and talked about universally.

frank ocean, for example, dropped a surprise release and everyone talked about it and it worked bc he as an artist is well liked, considered "cool" and has that ~aloof~ vibe, his fanbase demographic is MASSIVE and diverse, and he's a fave on twitter and IG, even if his numbers don't match that of someone like Lana. if Megan thee Stallion, who is social media's current favourite girl (she's earned that dont get me wrong!) surprise dropped an album tonight, it would be ALLLL YOU SAW on twitter and IG bc she's a social media darling and to *not* listen to her or like her music is almost shocking in a way, so the majority of people would feel compelled to listen to her album even if they've never listened to her stuff before simply out of FOMO, a desire to join in w/ trends and an urge to see what all the fuss is about.

Beyonce is obviously a massive artist but again, the case is it's more shocking NOT to be a fan of her than to be a fan of her.

being a loud and proud Lana stan isn't hugely socially acceptable tbh - it's not considered weird, but it's not considered cool either. despite all her success, talent and critical acclaim, i'm not sure a surprise release would generate a big amount of buzz outside of her more intense fanbase really. i can see, like, a straight 25 year old dude from London checking out a surprise Meg album or Frank album or Beyonce album if he sees someone on his twitter timeline gushing over it - but i can't quite see that same dude checking out a surprise LDR album if he sees someone he follows gushing over it, and i find it even less likely he'd then go on to tweet about it himself and ask his group chat about it. you know what i mean? she's not universally loved online imo, especially not after Culture-Gate.

Wq9zHLl.jpg

I think we all misinterpreted what Lana meant by a surprise release. I don't think her intention was ever to drop an album like Beyonce, out of the blue. I always assumed she meant no promo cycle, no pre album singles etc. Like she's referenced the album a couple of times before she mentioned a "surprise" drop. I think she just meant it would be more low-key and kinda would just happen, rather than there be a build up to the release date.

I agree with you that what she meant by surprise drop wasn’t the « general definition » of it, or her plans changed radically in the meantime.

As I said before, my fave Lana pre-release was Honeymoon: concise, all about the music, low-key, on a very short period of time. Chemtrails is similar and I am living for it. Lust for Life’s most interesting feature was that we learned the titles from various sources.

i've seen people complain about the lack of snippets and spoilers in this era but personally i'm glad for it, they just water down the excitement and first-time listening experience (HIAB was the worst, i genuinely thought it was gonna be a 9 mins track considering how long the snippets were  :crossed: )