Elle

Chemtrails Over the Country Club - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Chemtrails Over the Country Club  

868 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Chemtrails Over the Country Club?

• White Dress
    • Chemtrails Over the Country Club
    • Tulsa Jesus Freak
    • Let Me Love You Like a Woman
    • Wild at Heart
    • Dark But Just a Game
    • Not All Who Wander Are Lost
    • Yosemite
    • Breaking Up Slowly
    • Dance Till We Die
    • For Free

1. Honeymoon 

2. Ultraviolence

3. Chemtrails Over The Country Club 

Holy Trinity :legend:

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

3 minutes ago, littleredpartydress said:

Nice! Does it count for MC or AOTY?

I dont know, sorry. I‘m just really happy about the reviews. I didn‘t expect it because this era was so controversial (for non-stans).

And ngl : With every new era I think that she will finally deliver her first bad album. Noone can be great all the time and so many musicians stop at one point living up to the expectations. But she did it again, she delivered an other masterpiece :icant:

sorry Lana for doubting :crying2:

Spoiler

Why LMLLAW as single though :oprah2:

Any reviews of this record that do the usual "here's another typical LDR record" (like so many reviews of any of her records dating  back to Ultraviolence have said) prove yet again that you don't need ears to be a music critic.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

The pitchfork review basically just trying to make up as some sort of "Misuderstood Legend" instead of actually talking about the album... not actually shocked but at same time it's very nnn. Nice score too, same for honeymoona and few decimals lower than Lust for Life but at this point it's not like there's something really brilliant enough to justify a "best new music" for them.

But yeah Tulsa Jesus Freak is the best thing to come out from this record. it's just... so good. The autotune is so fun. A fresh breath.

We did it Joe:gurl:

I'm so happy we finally made it ..I have tears of joy in my eyes:krylie:

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

I'm outside, it's dark, but you can still see because of the moonlight. There is clouds and just the cars going down a main road by my house. It's not cold it's not hot. It's actually windy, and the leaves are rustling. I just smoked a little and I feel good, and tulsa Jesus freak playing. Ahhh best feeling ever.

Dark But Just A Game, Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost and Yosemite are THE trio of the album imo :hooker:

On another note I keep getting reminded of We All Want the Same Thing by Kevin Michael when I listen to DBJAG, just something about it sonically I can't place why, it's also funny because in that song it mentions "Jesus Freaks" 

"Trust No One"    Lana Del Rey

tumblr_owv21uOCEo1w9j89lo1_500.gif

5 minutes ago, honeybadger said:

weirdly enough yosemite is the perfect mix of old BTD production and the heavenly folky being of COCC to me

It kinda is!!!

Did you notice that background noise that they used on BTD ?!!

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Okay, album just finished. I’m definitely fully awake now.

I’m sure this album will grow on me. Some songs are clearly pop, but the others belong more in a different genre I’m not used to. None of the songs really smacked me across the face and took my breath away the way Mariner’s or Venice did, but White Dress get close to that with her high, whispery voice pressing out as many words as possible under two seconds, making the song very intense for a moment. It also makes me think of the “I am my on-e-ly god” in Disco.

TJF uses autocorrect properly, it brings something to a song and isn’t overused just because it’s a cool effect.

I still don’t care much for For Free. Is a pretty song, the harmonies are perfect. I just... don’t feel it, I guess.

Let me love you like a woman sounds better on the album, but I’m afraid that I still don’t care much for it either. But, like I’ve said before, I’m sure I’ll appreciate it one day when I can relate to the lyrics.

Breaking up slowly was criminally short. They could’ve easily made it into a longer song with a gorgeous outro.

I just feel, I dunno, that Norman had better transitions between the songs? Add a few seconds of silence after Tulsa and it would’ve been even better. This album clearly has better production though. And you can tell that it was made closely to Norman; the similar instruments in Wild at Heart and How to Disappear (does she sample HtD?), and the vague similarities between  Dance till we die and Venice Bitch. I’m... Hmm, I don’t know if I like that. It bothers me a little. I hope it one day won’t.

I don’t dislike the album. It’s definitely more cohesive than Norman - Yosemite actually sounds like it fits in here while BAR still feels like a pebble in the shoe on NFR! - and I’ll keep it on repeat the next days to get used to it even more.

This album feels very Lizzy Grant and today’s Lana Del Rey at the same time. It’s very cool, and something I thought we might get one day but nothing I dared to hope for.

I’ll come back and comment on Yosemite later. <3

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

SALVATORE'S UPDATED THOUGHTS ON YOSEMITE

yosemite- i lied above. i listened to the entire record with the incense and the breeze but yosemite i saved, i saved until the dead of night, and drove to an observatory be alone in my car outlooking the silent city sparkling on cliffside, engulfed in pines and hibernating wildflowers and i played yosemite on repeat for 45 or so minutes staring silently into the dead. this song is everything i've ever wanted. it's what kept me alive in a year i tried my best not to be and i built a fun following around it, i emailed interviewers, writers, tried to find photographers and collected every bit of information of the song i could. bought magazines that referenced yosemite, i did an entire paper around Yosemite by John Muir. I have two shirts from the 70s referencing yosemite, i've stumbled upon bottle openers from the park out in the roads where i'd walk alone at night hoping i'd be at the wrong end of a desperate persons violence for no reason other than trying to find feeling, yosemite is a lot to me and when we didn't get it in LfL i was heartbroken and decided to crave it more than ever before

upon her interview of MAC/VB i knew Architecture was the theme of Norman. Even though the song said to not start the new record i felt she wouldn't give up the past title track of Lust for Life that easy, or at least her muse wouldn't. The description of norman as a cocky artist with an ego that needed settling, the rejected scraps of White Mustang's music video, it all felt too coincidental and i called it that Architecture would have inspired, or be on the album (i was right), following i felt Yosemite would come to fruition here, having Lust for Life be this disjointed parent record of Norman Fucking Rockwell, i figured it'd stay similar for 'White Hot Forever'; the attempts at social commentary, the deliverance into an acoustic side to her discography, they'd be messily glued on Lust for Life and then refound in their own spaces, and now they have been. and Yosemite is the song of Chemtrails.

The music itself is everything i had hoped, it was brooding, optimistic, enchanting, emotional and methodical. Her rescinding the song out of vocal vulnerability in the same breath she killed malibu out of fear of transparency found a funny way into an album full of airy and broken vocals. White Dress being a thread laced through Wild at Heart in the way it is through Yosemite through Dark through For Free. The a capella she sung in 2017 obviously didn't do it justice and how anyone thought it could was laughable and that is their own fault. Her voice here is gorgeous, the song writing is beautiful, the atmosphere created in this song is so . fucking. beautiful. I knew this song was my favorite she's ever made before hearing it and I've heard it and it's still the best song she's ever created. The bridge is like a god speaking through the sky in thundering tongues and lightning flares. The imagery i suspected years ago of desert-y folk songs you'd look out over the desert and see an impending storm rings true, this is the calm inside a storm, it's an ignorant and threatened peace. i see nothing but rainless storms and sharp winds light by the invincible glow of candlelight. Yosemite is immaculate, a highlight, and a mission statement for the record. It couldn't be without Chemtrails and Chemtrails couldn't be without Yosemite. 

She wasn't quite at yosemite in 2017, and being able to confidently proclaim enough that she could put a song about doing things for free on a record bookended with a memoir about making art for free, and a collaborative homage to a song about lovingly observing others making art for free is quite powerful. Her never mentioning Yosemite in the lyrics is powerful

Yosemite being the only 1-word song on this album is powerful. 

She's so powerful, and so very realized