Elle

Chemtrails Over the Country Club - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Chemtrails Over the Country Club  

869 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Chemtrails Over the Country Club?

• White Dress
    • Chemtrails Over the Country Club
    • Tulsa Jesus Freak
    • Let Me Love You Like a Woman
    • Wild at Heart
    • Dark But Just a Game
    • Not All Who Wander Are Lost
    • Yosemite
    • Breaking Up Slowly
    • Dance Till We Die
    • For Free

1 minute ago, Nobody said:

so this currently has 81 on metacritic and they are yet to add two 100s, a 90 and either a 90 or 100 from the LA Times... Normie is shaking 

the hopeful collapse that's about to ensue lana112.thumb.jpeg.9b8035ea4a7a0430e2237

1 minute ago, Barbie said:

The lyrics are so poor, she sounds confusing, has nothing to say. White Dress, her voice sucks. All in all Her worst album!!

Hello Justin Bieber! 

like an actual barbie doll the one thing i'd most like to do to your account is hold you against a pocket torch until you look comparable to marred gum melted onto asphalt

6 minutes ago, Barbie said:

The lyrics are so poor, she sounds confusing, has nothing to say. White Dress, her voice sucks. All in all Her worst album!!

Hello Justin Bieber! 

oh god someone ban ha i smell scat

image.png

6 minutes ago, Barbie said:

Hello Justin Bieber! 

BAN THEM

1 hour ago, VeniceFag said:

Hi guys!

so me and my best friend tend to do something special for our first listen of a new Lana album. Since NFR was such a beach album, I would’ve suggested our first listen to be at the beach but obviously I haven’t heard the music yet so I wouldn’t know.

So that’s why I wanna ask you guys. What should the setting of our first listen be? What vibes does the album give off?

A desert-ish Highway, has to be sunny (or at dawn) and some cactus ? similar to the Ride music video! A bit of an old-Wild-west vibe.

By the way, thanks for that, on the way, I'll pray for ya
But you'll need a miracle
America

honestly i think i was too harsh on this on first leak listen.  a lot of the songs i found kind of underwhelming have grown on me considerably (white dress in particular), but i still can't get over the main cover like girl!!!  wish spotify would let people swap album covers :crai:

more detailed thoughts:

Spoiler

god the album just has a completely different vibe when framed with the alt cover.  i can't even like put it into words but i'm glad i can definitely say album art matters in perception of an album because the standard cover + the controversies were making this album look a lot worse than it actually is.

honestly it's funny how many songs off this thing were meant for other projects.  if you had asked me in 2017 if lust for life's impact would wave across the next few albums i would've laughed you off.  it feels nice to see her finally "realize" them for lack of a better word.  i wonder how listening to LFL w TNBAR & yosemite in it would flow since we finally can.

white dress went from "this is a mess" to honestly probably her best opener since cruel world?  this song is incredible.  the buildup, the lyrics, the vocals.  evocative as HELL in the best way.

lmlylaw has somehow grown on me like it's not super special or a standout but is it solid?  honestly yeah and i didn't think i'd say that.  works better in the context of the album and what a weird first single choice

wild at heart... i was too hard on her.  i was very anti-the reuse of HTD in the chorus but honestly?  it works in its own way.  i still prefer HTD (seemingly a rare opinion- and i will admit i think part of my anti-WAH energy was bc of the insanely undeserved backlash HTD got) but i will admit this song stands on its own and its an interesting sample flip

not all who wander are lost is a song i kinda glanced over on first listen.  just kinda breezed past me but i defs see the appeal now.  i'm not obsessed w it but it's defs not a skip like i originally thought.

yosemite was a song i liked on first listen but wasn't really thinking much about?  on the revisit, i realize how much it reminds me of the better parts of LFL (heroin in particular), and how i wish that record featured more like it.  the high vocals on this album are such a welcome all around.  seconding that person who said "how deep was that canyon you came from?" is a gorgeous metaphor.  --  a bit of a tangent, but honestly i wonder if the fan reception to LFL as a whole made her reconsider how she does her albums.  like NFR & COTCC in some way or form feel almost as like opportunities to correct LFL?    like considering a lot of ppl didn't like the collabs and "poppier" sound off LFL, and how her following 2 records have followed the other half and led to her biggest critical success.

i cannot believe y'all did breaking up slowly so dirty though like this song is great.  nikki sounds great and i love the production here.  this is the one that feels the most like the (alt) album cover imo.  just blues and greens and solitude.  y'all shit on collabs for absolutely nooo reason.  #JusticeForBreakingUpSlowly

dance till we die was a song that i kinda just breezed through until that bridge, which she should create way more of those - for the record, but on second listen i definitely like it more.  i feel a bit weird about how the chorus is sung (it feels like she's softening all her consonants?  i can't explain it) but i definitely like how light the song is for the most part

and now onto for free.  i don't know what i expected going into this song beyond them all singing together, but it caught me off guard (in a bad way) on first listen.  as with the others i definitely like it better being able to follow it more clearly, but it's definitely not a favorite.  i think both zella & weyes sound great tho.  unlike LFL this has collabs that sound great and i honestly wish there was one more somewhere.  idk who or on what track but i wouldn't mind a remix of one of the other album tracks (that isn't like, white dress) w someone on it later.  also the abrupt cutoff is really jarring but at least it transitions back into white dress well?

overall i'm feeling less of a like "5-5.5" and more of a "7-7.5" so far.  i feel like it'll grow further but i don't know if it tops NFR for me.

[nfr] > [aka/uv] > [hm/cocc] > [btd/lfl/p]

tumblr_inline_q2nkwneCwi1wb35v4_1280.png

Got a devil on my back as a tribute to my mother

17 minutes ago, Barbie said:

Hello Justin Bieber! 

Oh... Where's your note to we add to Metacritic? ?

lol :hide: