Elle

Chemtrails Over the Country Club - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Chemtrails Over the Country Club  

869 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Chemtrails Over the Country Club?

• White Dress
    • Chemtrails Over the Country Club
    • Tulsa Jesus Freak
    • Let Me Love You Like a Woman
    • Wild at Heart
    • Dark But Just a Game
    • Not All Who Wander Are Lost
    • Yosemite
    • Breaking Up Slowly
    • Dance Till We Die
    • For Free

2 minutes ago, hip hop in the summer said:

she did that. :oprah3:

Β 

can't believe this is actually happeningΒ :godlaugh:

1.jpgΒ  3.jpgΒ Β 2.jpgΒ 

This album is getting even more critical acclaim than NFRΒ :hdu:Β NormanΒ only had two perfect scores that counted for Metacritic, and I believe Chemtrails already has more but they’re not counted yet

I'll do it for the right reasons

Withstanding all the time, changes and seasons

~?~

is this doing better than nfr alreadyΒ 

Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β 7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

Β 

I hate cancel culture so much. These magazines can’t help but going with the flow of what the culture thinks about this Queen. She was at an all time low in terms of controversy during NFR and they ate that album up. Maybe the conservatives made points about the fake news ?

Listened to the album again this morning and yeah it's my least favorite Lana album but Tulsa Jesus Freak and Yosemite are carreer highlights. Yosemite's bridge is one of my favorites from her, the delivery and production are insaneΒ :crying5:

into your eyesΒ tumblr_olomd1pIFG1u8tvjvo2_500.gifΒ my face remains

32 minutes ago, conceptart47 said:

Wow miss White Dress sliding into the 1st place ranking. NGL I was expecting TJF to be the front runner since the gheys love their bussy bopsΒ :sass:

Well we do, but a gay Lana fanΒ prefers to cry firstΒ :gurl:

I'm obsessed with the albumΒ :oprah:

I'm in love with it, I want to marry it:krylie:

Β 

She did that! That is what she did:gurl:

A masterpiece:wowcry:

Β 

AmenΒ :legend:

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song.Β It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

Β 

Well, we’ve made it to the post-release! This record is absolutely amazing and she’s truly done it once again. It feels fresh but so familiar at the same time and every song blew me away. Wow.
Β 

Here are my thoughts on each individual track:Β 

Β 

Β 

White Dress

What a stunning opener. The vocals on the chorus are an artistic risk for Lana, but the desperation in their delivery are perfect for the song. A song like this demands toΒ have a more experimental creative output and I love that she does just that while still retaining her signature melodic style. The production during the outro of the song reminds me of the ending of the audio for Patent Leather Do-Over. Lyrically, it’s also very evocative and I was reminded of Venice Bitch actually.Β Beautiful track!

Β 

Chemtrails Over the Country Club

This song goes so well after White Dress. The way White Dress trails off, only to immediately jump into theΒ beautiful opening couplets of the song with their pulsing mid tempo rhythm. Gorgeous. Loved this track from the start and it sounds even more beautiful (if that was even possible) within the album!

Β 

Tulsa Jesus Freak

Wow..this song totally did not go where I thought it would based on the snippet. I absolutely love it. It’s sultry, it’s pensive, it’s a little bit serious and thoughtful, but it’s still fun at the same time! Also - the mixing on this is GORGEOUS. I think this isΒ one of the smoothest songs I’ve ever heard - it flows together so seamlessly and truly swells. I love how the smoothness of the beat is juxtaposed with the harsh vocals of theΒ β€œwe’ll be white hot forever and ever and ever” motif. Stunning track - we finally got it!

Β 

Β 

Let Me Love You Like a Woman

I was always a huge fan of this song, and I love it within this album. I think it’s the most earnestΒ sounding on the album with itsΒ very determined piano chord progressionΒ (being F-C-G) and itsΒ Β vocal treatment beingΒ very 80s heartland rock. I definitely feel like this is the heart of the record.

Β 

Β 

Wild at Heart

The vocals on this damnΒ song. I love that Lana is flexing her range so much more on this record! The lyrics are very cute while still being so meaningful, which I absolutely love. The message is really important and I can tell that this is a special song to Lana as well.Β The chorus isΒ one of my favourite moments on this record and I like that she sampled the bridge fromΒ How to Disappear! It works so well in this song and really is a standout for me. Love it!

Β 

Dark But Just a Game

The intro to this song is so smooth and bluesy...I love it so much. I definitely hear the Portishead comparisons from MOJO in full effect here during the verses, but the pre-chorus was very Beatles-esque, with those beautiful layered vocals and major-key harmonies. I also like that she interpolated the original melody from the Bird World demo she sang on IG live on September 4, 2019! I also thinkΒ the lyrics are really cool and do an amazingΒ job of switching between this cool, flippant attitude and this reflective, self-preserving affirmation. Beautiful song!

Β 

Β 

Not All Who Wander Are Lost

This song is beautiful. The vocals during the chorus are beautifully layered and I love how anecdotal it feels with her talking about being in Nebraska and wearing the same clothes for three days. It’s really earnest and stripped down, which truly conveys the mood perfectly. I was reminded of Pawn Shop Blues upon my first listen,Β so I feel like this song is definitely one ofΒ the moments on the album where Lana isΒ reconnecting with herΒ folky sensibility the most!

Β 

Β 

Yosemite

Well, we finally got it! What can I say, other than what a beautiful track. The guitar is very bittersweet sounding, it almost weeps with hope as Lana delivers a very vulnerable set of lyrics in her head voice before coming down for the chorus. I love it so much, it reminds me of Change,Β in that it feels anticipatory for something, and I think Lana probably felt that way too uponΒ putting it onto this record. Definitely a beautiful song, long-awaited for and it does not disappoint at all!

Β 

Breaking Up Slowly

This song is beautiful. The guitar is almost sexier sounding than what I thought, Β but it’s perfect - it’s bluesy, meditative, a little bit gritty. So good! Nikki’s voice goes so well next to Lana’s - they both harmonize perfectly and I love the flutter of Lana’s voice when she sings β€œflowers”. I love this song so much!

Β 

Dance Till We Die

I think this song might be my favourite from the whole album. It feels like a career song, in that she weaves so many important people and aspects of her life to reflect on her loneliness in the past and makes this affirmation to never stop dancing till she dies, walk on the sunnier side, etc. It’s hopeful but also contains this sense of impending β€œsomething.” I don’t know what quite yet, but it feels very important. And that bridge! Oh my god. I loved that. Beautiful lyrics, imagery, vocal delivery, production, all that. Just wow.

Β 

Β 

For Free

Such a beautiful way to end the record. All the girls’ voices sound so clear and beautiful here. The harmonies when they all sing together are beautiful and I love that Jack added a little bit of extra production just to distinguish fromΒ Joni’s original and theΒ live versionΒ Lana sang on tour, without making a parody of sorts ofΒ the song (not that would Lana would EVER do that - she always nails it, no matter what). I love this interpretation, I’ve loved both Lana and Joni Mitchell for a long time so this feels very cool to me. I also like how this track thematically connects to White Dress (basically every song on this record could be connected in some way and I love the cohesionΒ and the narrative that is present).

Β 

Β 

I think this may end up becoming my favourite album EVER,Β even upon first listen. It’s purely who Lana is but invites us to take an even closer look at her life, her love, and her thoughts. I love everything about this projectΒ and I can say with sincerity that without even knowing it, this is the record I’ve been waiting for her to make, and I’m sure it’s the one she’s been waiting to make her entire life as well.Β :wub:

Β 

9 minutes ago, HyperVelvet said:

I'm in a large FB group of fans and everyone is complaining, completely dismissing the album as boring and not giving a damn about the lyrics.

LB is a house of tasteΒ :fabcat:

i think im in the same group:eartha:

1 minute ago, IanadeIrey said:

Well, we’ve made it to the post-release! This record is absolutely amazing and she’s truly done it once again. It feels fresh but so familiar at the same time and every song blew me away. Wow.
Β 

Here are my thoughts on each individual track:Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

I think this may end up becoming my favourite album EVER,Β even upon first listen. It’s purely who Lana is but invites us to take an even closer look at her life, her love, and her thoughts. I love everything about this projectΒ and I can say with sincerity that without even knowing it, this is the record I’ve been waiting for her to make, and I’m sure it’s the one she’s been waiting to make her entire life as well.Β :wub:

Β 

YESΒ :oprah:

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I askedΒ Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating.Β 

Β 

yeah I get a lot of Lana content on my FYP on TikTok and literally every vid about her ive seen today has been dragging the white dress vocals and saying the album is a miss

RVhKIwP.gif

''But what if … there is no game? What if the truth is that Bob Dylan is a wonderful songwriter and musicianΒ who also happens to beΒ a basic baby boomer from Minnesota who thinks women in lingerie and β€œCheeseburger In Paradise” are pretty awesome? And what if his ability toΒ notΒ be self-reflective and live comfortably with these contradictions by simply justΒ beingΒ in the moment and doing whatever the hell he wants is the central attribute to which his audience responds? β€œPeople pay money to see others believe in themselves,” Kim Gordon once said β€” what if that’s the essence of Bob Dylan (and Lana Del Rey)?''

Β 

:lmao:

So on the basis of listening to a bunch of youtube tracks (mostly once), I have a first impression (contaminated by months of speculation). I think the album is indeed a conscious attempt to do a country (or folk) album -- i.e., she's invading the country club, and she suspects it will be taken negatively by country/folk people (i.e., the chemtrails assignation). The song COTCC doesn't support this idea much, but I think of LDR as an artist with hidden meanings, and regardless, "white hot forever" ... while fine as a lyric in one song, just doesn't work, for me, as an album title. I think the original cover art work is also not a non-sequitur but expresses her introversion (one of a herd), but I know she's gonna interpret that differently when asked. Β I'm too unfamiliar with the album to rank it relative to her past ones, but it seems pretty competitive against some reasonable peers.

Β 

The good news for me is that I'm not feeling a retread from NFR or any released album. Maybe it's a parallel-universe May Jailer, where LDR had continued that "personna". I like her vocal experiments (e.g. whisper/screamo style which progresses to folk-crooning, female-elvis-belting). I like the female features bunching up at the end (well, Lizzy is a kind of feature on DTWD, and there's all those females she name bombs too). This aspect of the album recapitulates the album cover, imo. For me, For free works greatΒ and has a great ending. An urban legend (which if it doesn't exist, I'll start) has it that Joni's original song used (and paid) the street musician of the song to do that ending clarinet solo. I still believe this is true, but none of my internet research found any evidence, so it's gotta be a historic hallucination on my part. LDR's version (to my ear) briefly alludes to that original ending solo (also near its end), but it fades so fast and is so fleeting, it suggests a musical ghost.Β 

"Jack Antonoff is God" it screams into the void of Lana Boards.Β 

Β 

tenor.gif

Β 

Β 

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I askedΒ Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating.Β 

Β