Elle

Chemtrails Over the Country Club - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Chemtrails Over the Country Club  

868 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Chemtrails Over the Country Club?

• White Dress
    • Chemtrails Over the Country Club
    • Tulsa Jesus Freak
    • Let Me Love You Like a Woman
    • Wild at Heart
    • Dark But Just a Game
    • Not All Who Wander Are Lost
    • Yosemite
    • Breaking Up Slowly
    • Dance Till We Die
    • For Free

1 minute ago, Dragon said:

this is kinda terrible but i'm just gonna say it. it's pretty dead. but the merch'll come so hopefully we'll have more to talk about later on. was a great pre-release loved the shenanigans LB

I think because it's leaked so most people's initial reactions were in pre-release

Also not to be negative, but she really does drag out her pre-releases for too long. We all expected it on September 5th, then we expected the covers album at Christmas, and neither of those happened and it's exhausting, somehow. By the time you get the album, you've ruminated over it for so long and it doesn't matter how good it is, it can never live up to almost a year of expectations and predictions. I understand that plans change - especially during rona - but I really hope she doesn't say the next one is coming out until she has a firm date and sticks to it.

COCC was an improvement over NFR, snippet-wise, however.

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

You know what???

”i love you lots like polka dots, you’re killing me more.”

ICONIC LYRICISM. How does she make such ridiculous lyrics work????? Is it bc they’re stripped down???? The writing in COTCC is far from her best and yet it might just be?? the songs work so beautifully I cannot:crai:

:legend:WILD AT HEART THOUGH:legend:

Just now, RormanNockwell said:

I think because it's leaked so most people's initial reactions were in pre-release

Also not to be negative, but she really does drag out her pre-releases for too long. We all expected it on September 5th, then we expected the covers album at Christmas, and neither of those happened and it's exhausting, somehow. By the time you get the album, you've ruminated over it for so long and it doesn't matter how good it is, it can never live up to almost a year of expectations and predictions. I understand that plans change - especially during rona - but I really hope she doesn't say the next one is coming out until she has a firm date and sticks to it.

COCC was an improvement over NFR, snippet-wise, however.

yeah that's definitely the main thing. n sept 5th was just- but I mean I understand how everyone's sorta been affected n the business aspect had to be fulfilled. it's just a bit of an hourglass kinda motion when it usually comes to her promo scheds. that n that once the record's out promo, like interviews, live performances n other stuff just thins out. which is great for anticipation for the next project but back to the hourglass movement dynamic. 

i'm hoping she does other projects too before releasing another record. i get the rush of having to collect newer thoughts post finishing something, but i'm hoping she takes the time to rest and let things simmer a lot more. mainly for a better spread out execution n def the timing. I'll be enjoying this one for a while with just how much I personally love it and the overall mood of the record, but I also know that i'll still be for her next thing. 

I'd say the pre release was actually pretty thoughtfully done. the covers. the poetry. L...Woman. no dire complaints post 9/5. I do definitely think that it's becoming a suspicion that someone from her team at least visits. the pink vinyl, to even smaller things. it's made the pre-release a lot more cohesive than expected. still. hope the cycle has vids of her singing songs live/ video.
TJF homevideo. Yosemite? hv. 

the album makes waiting a lot easier tho. there's a peace to it that's just nice to enjoy 

UV/Honeymoon

Ok besties feel free to come for me sorry I had to make that pun  But For Free is an underrated track on this album and is a beautiful cover. After analyzing the lyrics and just the song itself, it makes so much sense to have Zella Day and Weyes Blood to be featured on this cover (I will explain why I believe that further in this post). Here is my personal analysis; It is a song about making and playing music just for the sake of it, a true artist doesn't care whether or not it brings them fame or fortune, however, if it does by pure chance, that's okay too and vice-versa. An unknown, true musician, who plays for free and a true musician who does happen to have fame and fortune are not so very different from each-other when it comes to good-willed intentions, they have the same perspective about creating art.

I believe the lines "Nobody stopped to hеar him, Though he played so sweet and high, They knew he had never been on the TV, So they passed his music by" is coming from the point of view of a true musician where fame and fortune has found them, and sadly understands that this unknown musician is being ignored just because fame and fortune has not found them (yet), perhaps the famous musician is even longing for the days before they they got famous, ( a theme that has already been explored in this album, which is why I think it is very fitting), they long the days where they just played music for the sake of it, where people literally just passed by I suppose. But, the unknown musician catches the eye of this famous musician who stopped to listen while others just ignored. That is why I think Lana sings the second verse that starts with the line "Now me, I play for fortunes" and ends with "He's been playin' real good for free", this famous musician can see what others cannot, they see just another true, brilliant musician! 

Now, Zella Day (who I genuinely think is a brilliant musician) sings the first verse, and Weyes Blood, who sings the third and last, are by no doubt beautiful musicians with great talent, and Lana, being the genuine, sublime-minded, beautiful artist that she is, must of came across these two other talented musicians and obviously wanted to collaborate/play together, just for the sake of it (Before the recording of Chemtrails, For Free was first performed alongside these two artists in Lana's concerts, maybe without the intention of it being featured on Chemtrails at first). They are not as big as Lana is (yet) but Lana doesn't care because she is a true artist. Lana has collaborated with some of the greats (Think of Stevie Nicks here as just one example) and other famous artists like A$AP Rocky, The Weekend, and others. But this collaboration makes it very apparent that Lana doesn't just care about the greats or the famous. 

Due to the themes explored in this album, I actually think For Free fits perfectly at the end. As a musician who just makes art for the sake of it, this was my instant thought hearing the track for the first time and it spoke to me on a deep, personal level. I may be way off with this "analysis" but I just wanted to post this because of how deeply this song speaks to me. Also, thank you Lana for helping me discover the great Joni Mitchell. 

Edit: Found some tweets between Zella and Lana (Thank you @COCC for sharing!) 
Also, @Elle please let me vote again I want/need to vote For Free as well :icant:

Gangster Nancy Sinatra
"And I want revenge"

Reposting this without a spoiler tag now that everyone has heard the album!

Check your sun, moon, + risings bbs :wink:

:party:THE ZODIAC SIGNS AS COCC SONGS:party:

Aries: Wild at Heart (passionate, adventurous, evades routine)

Taurus: Let Me Love You Like a Woman (serene, soft, ruled by Venus)

Gemini: Dance Till We Die (penchant for fun, duplicitous first 3/4 to last 1/4)

Cancer: Yosemite (sensitive - “burning at both ends,” nurturing, loyal)

Leo: Chemtrails Over the Country Club (warm and dynamic w/ an appreciation of the material meets celestial world)

Virgo: For Free (peace in nature or the natural state of the world, methodical, and traditional)

Libra: White Dress (aesthetic visions, equality-prone re: “men in music”, idealistic)

Scorpio: Tulsa Jesus Freak (sensual, bold + dark, slight sarcasm/kitsch)

Sagittarius: Not All Who Wander Are Lost (adventurous, spontaneous, optimistic)

Capricorn: Breaking Up Slowly (pragmatic, enduring, sense of responsibility to address the situation)

Aquarius: Dark But Just a Game (inventive, eccentric, free-spirited, wanting to avoid conforming to fame)

Pisces: White Dress (dreamy, devoted, reflective, hopeful)

giphy.gif

Any other people who worked in restaurants in their FEELS over white dress? I hated this song first listen and now I'm crying over my waitress nostalgia. Everything about this song perfectly fits how I feel about those days :crai:

giphy.gif

Just now, Tropico Roses said:

Any other people who worked in restaurants in their FEELS over white dress? I hated this song first listen and now I'm crying over my waitress nostalgia. Everything about this song perfectly fits how I feel about those days :crai:

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeees. I remember how fun it was n all the tips ah. that n just how versatile of a track it is when it comes to setting. like overall it's just wowow. just like a step closer to building n building that life u personally want 

UV/Honeymoon

4 minutes ago, Tropico Roses said:

Yes! Worked in a restaurant in the weekends when I was a student. Will never forget all the albanian and turkish weddings that took place there. 

Spoiler

Who invented Balkan Pop :icant:

Anyway a moment of silence for everyone who tried to cancel her last year :smokes4:

there's no friction in between tracks and they sort of have this signature freshness to them that just melds into something sweetly cohesive. maybe it started w NFR or something (more sundance than hollywood) but, n I was gonna keep this to myself a lot more, the record makes u feel like u can do anything w the smallest of effort bc of it's sheer relatability. 

all the while still I can sense her holding back details like a secret, which makes it even more beautiful. 

nothing seems forced at all. it's quite the nexus for the past, future n present I really believe that. this masterful woman. how captivating is that. what a goddess. it's a 45 minute sweet spot. 

if I were a critic etc etc gazijazillion/10 times 10 so that gazijazillion. 

UV/Honeymoon

Gonna need time to digest everything, but damn this is a beautiful record, and easily entered her top three for me. The landscape is stunning and also hard to place, excited to sit with this album and let it unfold. Standouts are White Dress, Yosemite, Chemtrails, TJF,  Wild at Heart, DBJAG, and Dance Till We Die. I really hope we get to hear more like DBJAG on a future project, that sound suits her ability to conjure moods and imagery incredibly well.