Elle

Chemtrails Over the Country Club - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Chemtrails Over the Country Club  

868 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Chemtrails Over the Country Club?

• White Dress
    • Chemtrails Over the Country Club
    • Tulsa Jesus Freak
    • Let Me Love You Like a Woman
    • Wild at Heart
    • Dark But Just a Game
    • Not All Who Wander Are Lost
    • Yosemite
    • Breaking Up Slowly
    • Dance Till We Die
    • For Free

25 minutes ago, Lentilus said:

Exactly! VB was the first steps into realization of it being okay that youth  is fading! And it all comes back to Yosemite, and Lust for Life. The fact that Yosemite was created, basically on the fly, means that Lana must have already been thinking about this transition into the next phase after youth. But in her LFL era, she just wasn't there yet. Idk, it's the most logical connection that really stuck out for me. The human experience is so complex and beautiful. :cryney2::trisha:

your MIND omg i love this and the post you made before :trisha: how beautiful, makes me love yosemite even more

sUcVobB.png

Just now, honeybadger said:

your MIND omg i love this and the post you made before :trisha: how beautiful, makes me love yosemite even more

Omg :trisha: I-.The more Yosemite appreciation the better! I truly think it's gonna be her most misunderstood song! The way so many youtube reactions thought it was about a man! :deadbanana:

Yosemite is a coming to terms and loving with ageing in a society that values youth. Truly a look into oneself.

4 minutes ago, Lentilus said:

Omg :trisha: I-.The more Yosemite appreciation the better! I truly think it's gonna be her most misunderstood song! The way so many youtube reactions thought it was about a man! :deadbanana:

Yosemite is a coming to terms and loving with ageing in a society that values youth. Truly a look into oneself.

PLUS yosemite is such a perfect mix of BTD production (autotuned loons, the bridge instrumentals remind me a lot of BTD) and her older, more mature, folky sound on COCC. it's a simultaneously a remembrance, a mourning, a reflection, a moving forward, a transition, acceptance – in lyrics and in instrumentals :trisha::trisha::trisha:

sUcVobB.png

1 minute ago, honeybadger said:

PLUS yosemite is such a perfect mix of BTD production (autotuned loons, the bridge instrumentals remind me a lot of BTD) and her older, more mature, folky sound on COCC. it's a simultaneously a remembrance, a mourning, a reflection, a moving forward, a transition, acceptance – in lyrics and in instrumentals :trisha::trisha::trisha:

322241909105201.png?type=webp&to=min&r=640

LFL supremacy :hooker:

Wow BUS is so beautiful and haunting :wowcry: With every listen it gets better and better..and damn it hits different when you listen to it at night in the pale moonlight:lange:

@majunnkieand @gsnlphave powerful minds from stanning it since the beginning ...they were ahead of time:oprah::oprah2:

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

1 hour ago, Lentilus said:

Exactly! VB was the first steps into realization of it being okay that youth  is fading! And it all comes back to Yosemite, and Lust for Life. The fact that Yosemite was created, basically on the fly, means that Lana must have already been thinking about this transition into the next phase after youth. But in her LFL era, she just wasn't there yet. Idk, it's the most logical connection that really stuck out for me. The human experience is so complex and beautiful. :cryney2::trisha:

And the arm in the sling in the White Dress mv I thought really ended up fitting this theme you’re talking about, like maybe feeling almost out of commission. Can’t skate freely with the young girls anymore :bebe:

Just now, masterpinks said:

And the arm in the sling in the White Dress mv I thought really ended up fitting this theme you’re talking about, like maybe feeling almost out of commission. Can’t skate freely with the young girls anymore :bebe:

Ngl, I thought it was super sad that she fell ad broke her elbow...that must have been an actual blow to her self-esteem! Like fuck....WD reallymanifested that! :cryney2:

I'm obsessed with the way Lana shouts White Hot Forever and ever and ever Amen :oprah:

Could listen to this part for the rest of my life:xcry:

When you listen to this part with headphones you can hear a drum in your left ear and the drum lowkey reminds me of an explosion ( lol) and I LOVE it:krylie:

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

I don't know if any of you have checked Metacritic but the chemtrails score is now lower (81) previously it was at 85 almost the same score as Norman (87).
I personally think that 80/81 is a fair score for the album, when I saw that chemtrails had two points less than Norman's score it seemed strange to me because that means that it is almost as good as Norman and in my humble opinion it is not. NORMAN's lyrics and production is simply superior.
I like chemtrails but I just don't think it's on Norman's level or close to him; in the same way I will continue listening to see if my opinion changes.
What do you think?

Lana Del Rey Gods And Monsters GIF - Lana Del Rey Gods And Monsters -  Discover & Share GIFsin medias res: Gods and Monsters, Lana Del Rey

I was expecting a 78 max on Metacritic before the album dropped given the controversies. I hate that I’m channeling energy to make sure that COCC stays at 80+, music publications are mostly a waste nowadays. 

Looking back on it, NFR! felt like an album that maximized the general public’s perception of Lana—a Southern California sad girl. But I still love it for the melodies and soundscape. However, I am forever thankful that she recorded and released White Dress, so much so that it dwarfs my high opinion of NFR. 

5 minutes ago, Selfloathinpoet said:

I don't know if any of you have checked Metacritic but the chemtrails score is now lower (81) previously it was at 85 almost the same score as Norman (87).
I personally think that 80/81 is a fair score for the album, when I saw that chemtrails had two points less than Norman's score it seemed strange to me because that means that it is almost as good as Norman and in my humble opinion it is not. NORMAN's lyrics and production is simply superior.
I like chemtrails but I just don't think it's on Norman's level or close to him; in the same way I will continue listening to see if my opinion changes.
What do you think?

I definitely think 81 is a better score. NFR is significantly better to me. To me, NFR is absolutely no skips and pretty much a perfect album. Venice Bitch, Happiness is a Butterfly, and Bartender each, on their own, blow away anything on Chemtrails except maybe Tulsa Jesus Freak and Breaking Up Slowly for me. 

Even though I enjoy the melodies and harmonies, Not All Who Wander Are Lost is the most uninspired I've seen Lana in her lyrics. I also enjoy Wild at Heart, but the fact that she basically reused the production of How to Disappear also ruined it a bit for me.

Even though Chemtrails has grown on me, I'm having a really hard time connecting with it - which is a problem I've never had with any Lana album. Even Sirens, I connect more with, so it's not even like I can theorize that it might just be the stripped down production not doing it for me. I recognize objectively that COTCC is good, mature, and more refined then a good amount of her past work, but something about it just isn't clicking.

Lana's music has always felt custom made for me, but COTCC felt like when I listened to folklore and I was like "I can see why people like this, and I might like a bit of it, but this just isn't really my thing. Objectively, it's good, but it's not for me." I've NEVER felt that way about Lana's albums and it's lowkey driving me a bit mad that I feel this way about Chemtrails. :toofunny:

It’s not about having someone to love me anymore

This is the experience of being an American whore

how is dbjag not winning the poll...

also, pls be the music next video :heidi:

the top 4 winning are MY top four favorites!!!!!!! yessss good taste babes

Lana Del Rey, Maggie Lindemann, Banks, Melanie Martinez, & Taylor Momsen are my guardian angels 

8 minutes ago, Urbanney said:

I definitely think 81 is a better score. NFR is significantly better to me. To me, NFR is absolutely no skips and pretty much a perfect album. Venice Bitch, Happiness is a Butterfly, and Bartender each, on their own, blow away anything on Chemtrails except maybe Tulsa Jesus Freak and Breaking Up Slowly for me. 

Even though I enjoy the melodies and harmonies, Not All Who Wander Are Lost is the most uninspired I've seen Lana in her lyrics. I also enjoy Wild at Heart, but the fact that she basically reused the production of How to Disappear also ruined it a bit for me.

Even though Chemtrails has grown on me, I'm having a really hard time connecting with it - which is a problem I've never had with any Lana album. Even Sirens, I connect more with, so it's not even like I can theorize that it might just be the stripped down production not doing it for me. I recognize objectively that COTCC is good, mature, and more refined then a good amount of her past work, but something about it just isn't clicking.

Lana's music has always felt custom made for me, but COTCC felt like when I listened to folklore and I was like "I can see why people like this, and I might like a bit of it, but this just isn't really my thing. Objectively, it's good, but it's not for me." I've NEVER felt that way about Lana's albums and it's lowkey driving me a bit mad that I feel this way about Chemtrails. :toofunny:

I know what you mean. I like Chemtrails, but it's not my favorite album, and I don't think it's her best.

It's the tracks that ARE amazing that stand out tho. Do they make up for it? No, because in my opinion there's not enough.

I'm not sure where I'd rate Chemtrails with her other albums rn, but it's okay not to LOVE it, don't feel bad!!!

Honeymoon is still my fav album and always will be and it's from 2015. 

NFR is second though, I agree with the no skips part I just also feel that way about Honeymoon.

Honeymoon and NFR both hit home HARD for me :(((( I can't explain, but they're the only two albums that make me feel some type of way.

Still love her others obviously.

Lana Del Rey, Maggie Lindemann, Banks, Melanie Martinez, & Taylor Momsen are my guardian angels 

I don't get the gp and critics' obsession for NFR! I mean it's a good album and it has some career highlights (especially Venice Bitch and Mariners Apartment Complex) but COCC feels more organic and cohesive to me... 

I really think it deserved a higher score than NFR! sorry not sorry

Lanarat.png

Ok this might sound crazy, but anyone gets Selena Gomez meets Arabian Nights in DBJAG?

I can also see a half-shade room (candle light, red, yellow and orange/maybe blue?/ tones) and a snake going up in the second part of the song

Maybe I'm just nuts

Okay after listening to the album for like 83727 times I’m finally ready to speak: Thank you Lana.:heart:

I love this album so f* much! It’s so beautifully creative. All the songs are 10/10 unique gems and they flow together so effortlesly. The only song that hasn’tl grown on me the same way than the rest is still LMLYLAW - it somehow isn’t on the same level than the rest of the songs. I kinda view it as an interval after three powerful opening songs. Still not a bad track in any means though. My favourite songs in no particular order are Chemtrails, Dark but just a bop & Yosemite.