Elle

Chemtrails Over the Country Club - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Chemtrails Over the Country Club  

868 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Chemtrails Over the Country Club?

• White Dress
    • Chemtrails Over the Country Club
    • Tulsa Jesus Freak
    • Let Me Love You Like a Woman
    • Wild at Heart
    • Dark But Just a Game
    • Not All Who Wander Are Lost
    • Yosemite
    • Breaking Up Slowly
    • Dance Till We Die
    • For Free

This album is still so big to me ; I listen to it almost everyday and I still discover new things in it.

I love the two subtle parts of the record (WD->WaH / Dbjag->FF) and it's two diff comfort zones : the first is perfect for the morning and the second for the evening.

Yosemite might be the one I love the most.

LDR-ALOHA2.jpg

It's crazy to think this record has been in the works since summer 2019. This means she started to write its successor ???? ????? ????? during 2020:hdu: This woman never stops.

Don't know if it has been done before, but this is my attempt on creating a timeline based on COCC songs creation/inspiration. 

OG Lust for Life era • Late 2015 - Early 2016

Yosemite

pre NFR era • July - August 2019

Wild at Heart: Lana made a necklace with its title engraved on the back |SOURCE|

White Hot Forever: announced as a working title for the new album |SOURCE|

NFR tour era  September - October 2019

Chemtrails Over the Country Club: first time mentioning zodiac lyrics |SOURCE|

Dark But Just a Game: chorus melody teased during an ig livestream |SOURCE|

Let Me Love You Like a Woman: first song title to be confirmed

For Free: was performed various times during the NFR tour

Dance Till We Die: most likely inspired by her Berkeley concert where she performed with Joan Baez |SOURCE|

Midwest trip era • November 2019

Breaking Up Slowly: confirmed written in a hotel room with Nikki Lane |SOURCE|

Tulsa Jesus Freak: was finalized after visiting Oklahoma |SOURCE|

Oscar's afterparty • February 2020

Dark But Just a Game: inspiration for the song came after she attended this LA party |SOURCE|

CANNOT DETERMINE

White Dress: talking about the song, Lana said <We did that early on, we were at Jim Henson’s studio> this means it was probably recorded when NFR dropped, but it's not confirmed

Not All Who Wander Are Lost: some digital copies have this track named as 'Wanderlust', which leads to speculation that it was one of the last recorded for the album

I think I'll love this album after her next three or maybe four records. It leaves me with a "what's next?" aftertaste in my mouth and I hate this feeling. But the album is great. After a few years, I'm going to listen to it a lot more than I'm doing now

What I love a lot about this album is that it gives me nature vibes ...the best way to listen to Chemtrails is when you are on a walk in the nature ...it's fits the vibe perfectly especially NAWWAL & Yosemite :flutter:

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

This record is so incredibly close to my heart. I think a lot of us can say that every single song speaks to us in some way - I certainly can. My relationship with the music has only continued to grow over the last 3 weeks and it’s just so special in every way. She truly poured her heart and soul into each song and her generosity of spirit really does shine through. :oprah: an outstanding album that only adds to the genuineness of a true artist. :wub:

This is the first of her records where I consistently listen to the whole thing back to front - not that I didn’t before, it’s just that I would obsess over and settle on individual songs (or a group of them), but this feels like it has to be listened to as a singular statement.

Ok so... COCC has improved with each listen and I now fully appreciate how amazing it is. It's more subtle and gentle than NFR is but so beautiful and so well done. NFR was more instant but overall and a better album but by less of a margin than I originally thought. 

578c68b668f2f515fc750b6860a1213b--torch- Ever since my baby went away... its been the blackest day..... its been the blackest day

I'm still sad I couldn't connect with the album as much as I would have liked, but I've noticed recently how some songs have grown on me. Like Woman, or Breaking Up... I like them a lot now:wub:

Perhaps I will love the album with time, like it happened with Honeymoon. God knows!

My rose garden dreams set on fire by fiends... :illumilana2: 

I'm having a hard time expressing how I feel about this album, but I'm going to try.

What you can't deny is that this album is cohesive. But unfortunately, contrary to Honeymoon, such cohesiveness leads to a feeling of similarity between some of the songs. I think it's also because they were produced by Jack, because no matter what you think of him, you can't deny that the production on some parts of some of the tracks is barely noticeable - I'm thinking of Wild at Heart, Dance Till We Die, but even Chemtrails, because the beautiful subtle instruments throughout the songs are drowning in the rest. And that, added to the fact that most of the chords are really basic, makes most of the songs lackluster, all the more so because not all the songs are this way. Take White Dress. The beautiful and original chord progression and melody of the first verse evidence how common the chord progression for most of the songs is. Yosemite does stand out thanks to its unique atmosphere and beautiful guitar riffs that add so much to the song. To me, Yosemite being that way makes the songs that follow seem somewhat dull. I'm okay with her reusing songs from past albums, but I can't help being a bit disappointed when the highly-anticipated wild at heart is virtually a capella on the verses and has the HTD instrumental in the chorus. I just can't think of it as a song of its own. I guess I should have expected less - I remember hoping that Not All Who Wander Are Lost would be a cinematic song, very mature and eventful, that would beautifully reflect her journey - but her older songs just stand out so much more. Maybe I would have enjoyed this album more without the delay, but right now, it feels like those are songs that were done a long time ago, which we should've got a long time ago, and which suffer flaws - Jack's production, lack of actual bridges.

I still love White Dress, Chemtrails, Yosemite and Tulsa Jesus Freak, but the rest does feel like something is missing.

I can't believe how fast the hype for this album died after it was released. A year and a half of buildup and immediately, a dive off the cliff :biblio:

It’s not about having someone to love me anymore

This is the experience of being an American whore