Elle

Chemtrails Over the Country Club - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Chemtrails Over the Country Club  

868 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Chemtrails Over the Country Club?

• White Dress
    • Chemtrails Over the Country Club
    • Tulsa Jesus Freak
    • Let Me Love You Like a Woman
    • Wild at Heart
    • Dark But Just a Game
    • Not All Who Wander Are Lost
    • Yosemite
    • Breaking Up Slowly
    • Dance Till We Die
    • For Free

so. the fanfare's started to die down, and for me, that's when things get real interesting. usually i'd have a solid understanding to the tracks. but. I think i'm continuing to learn more and more and I love it. 

I really appreciate chemtrails. 
I appreciate the softness that it has when it sings about being like kids under the chemtrails over the country club. the perception's and phases of a connection to mirroring one's self. 
doin the laundry n self-care 
being able to properly define who you are yourself to yourself, all the while being able to properly categorize where u belong amongst others. 

it's a silent, strong and reassuring march to being able to live however you want. knowing that on the inside that uncertainty's just another wave to ride. 

UV/Honeymoon

Wild at Heart is one of my favorite songs ever

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

I‘m somehow at awe at the way she ends Dark But Just A Game with It’s dark but just. Is it tho? Maybe, idk :tsk:

DYJRPfi.gif c5dd836305cb85b3253fce96ae00741c547fd6fd.gif SH8DzJM.gif
???????, ??? ??? ?? ?? ???? ?????

On 4/12/2021 at 1:19 AM, ParadiseFreak said:

Anyone else stream Chemtrails for a couple days and then never return to it?  I really wanna like Lana's new stuff... but something fundamental has changed with her since Lust for Life.  Maybe it's all Jack?  Hard to know.  I respect that artists need to change and grow, but this shift is such a bummer for me coz early Lana was my favorite music of the decade.

This is how I feel about it all too. I have like 2 favourites from each album lfl-cocc, but they are the only songs I want to return to. I only listen to the last 3 albums in full if I am honestly that bored, but I'll go back to btd-honeymoon anytime any day. 

The cameras had flashes THEY CAUSED THE CAR CRASHES!!!!!!!!!!

:et:

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

2 hours ago, Diamantes WILD said:

I'm actually kinda the exact opposite. I love how the album's straight to the point, and a little less heavy than the rest of her stuff. Perfect to explore and expand on its world with supporting tracks from other artists. Perfect playlist blueprint imo 

Agree 111% ,  as time goes on it literally just gets stronger. I felt the exact same way with UV, which also had 11 tracks standard.

I’ve never felt this mixed about an album ever. First day, I really was disappointed and disliked it. Then I listened to it nonstop for a week. Now I stick to my favorites and that’s about it. 

It’s weird, I like the songs when I’m listening to them, but I just find a lot of them forgettable. I’ve found since the beginning, I tend to skip the last 2 tracks, which only leave 9 songs left. I tend to skip LMLYAW too. 8 songs left. Tulsa Jesus Freak, Chemtrails (the second half of the song with the two melodies mixing into each other - wow, just wow) , and Breaking Up Slowly are my absolute faves, in that order. I like White Dress but tend to forget about it till I come here. 

Wild at Heart makes me picture a black and white western movie/musical scene in a bar with Lana dancing on tables and making a “scene” with the entire bar joining in and singing along with her, having fun, for the last chorus. I like that - something that fun and lighthearted is a rare thing to picture for a Lana song. But it feels semi-uninspired basically reusing the production of How to Disappear. 

I rarely skip Dark But Just a Game, but again, very forgettable for me. I like Not All Who Wander, but the lyrics are super cliche and weak imo. The harmonies are gorgeous though. Yosemite is really pretty, but again, forgettable. 

And that’s it. That’s the album. It’s weird. I like it, but I don’t. I find myself singing along to it a lot and enjoying it, but I also still don’t feel a connection to it? Again, I’ve never felt so mixed about an album before. I’ve also never felt so disconnected from a Lana album before. 

It’s not about having someone to love me anymore

This is the experience of being an American whore

24 minutes ago, mansfield ringer said:

Agree 111% ,  as time goes on it literally just gets stronger. I felt the exact same way with UV, which also had 11 tracks standard.

I actually sorta finished the first part of this playlist I'm making, it kinda just sums up her official discog, n getting to more of fleshing the album's world out. greaaaaaaat stuff. I do have to say that UV's packs a lot more but I defo get what ur saying with that, just a lot easier to blend with 

UV/Honeymoon

4 hours ago, Urbanney said:

I’ve never felt this mixed about an album ever. First day, I really was disappointed and disliked it. Then I listened to it nonstop for a week. Now I stick to my favorites and that’s about it. 

It’s weird, I like the songs when I’m listening to them, but I just find a lot of them forgettable. I’ve found since the beginning, I tend to skip the last 2 tracks, which only leave 9 songs left. I tend to skip LMLYAW too. 8 songs left. Tulsa Jesus Freak, Chemtrails (the second half of the song with the two melodies mixing into each other - wow, just wow) , and Breaking Up Slowly are my absolute faves, in that order. I like White Dress but tend to forget about it till I come here. 

Wild at Heart makes me picture a black and white western movie/musical scene in a bar with Lana dancing on tables and making a “scene” with the entire bar joining in and singing along with her, having fun, for the last chorus. I like that - something that fun and lighthearted is a rare thing to picture for a Lana song. But it feels semi-uninspired basically reusing the production of How to Disappear. 

I rarely skip Dark But Just a Game, but again, very forgettable for me. I like Not All Who Wander, but the lyrics are super cliche and weak imo. The harmonies are gorgeous though. Yosemite is really pretty, but again, forgettable. 

And that’s it. That’s the album. It’s weird. I like it, but I don’t. I find myself singing along to it a lot and enjoying it, but I also still don’t feel a connection to it? Again, I’ve never felt so mixed about an album before. I’ve also never felt so disconnected from a Lana album before. 

Good thoughts too. I'm mixed as well. It was a relief to like it more than I liked NFR, and that's all I was asking for before the release. 

But I definitely haven't felt connected to anything since honeymoon or maybe Heroin from LFL. 

Most of this album is forgettable, like "those extra songs" on my playlists that I usually want to skip. But at the same time I'm glad that it's still nice music and that she's exploring. I just hope she explores with another producer from now on because I'm afraid of repeats (not that she ever has done that with her albums, but still). 

I still think LMLYLAW's a great big key to this album. 

WD solid 
COCC solid 
TJF elevator kink song, solid. 
LMLYLAW, gonna follow in Hope's footsteps 
WAT sweet treat of a track, many people'll grow to love if they haven't already 
DBJAG, has the edge factor. the soft sledging beats make it sensually cold. it's because it doesn't explode but rather relies on the soft piano afterblow. 
NAWWAL, I think that this is the sweetest track on the album. a bit hallmark w the wanderlust, but it's a really cute song. 
Yosemite adds the staying weight to the record. 
BUS is great, the collab really strengthens it. perfect for a quick choice single 
DTWD, slow burn that's lifted bc of it's bridge. it's a promise of her capability to write more fiery and active. 
For Free, very beautiful. a perfect way to end the record, w collabs. 

from the gp's/ non-avid listeners' perspective:
WAT might seem slow to start and might not finish. 
NAWWAL sounds similar to WAT's start. slow to start. 
DTWD as well. 
and strangely enough, DJBAG follows a similar pacing. 

tracks 1-4. great, dynamic, varying in sound. 
WAT, DBJAG, NAWWAL, and DTWD follow a similar kind of pacing. might not follow. 
DBJAG has no real hook, and kinda relies on it's name a bit. bridge-less that roll the peak. the hollowness works for it bc of the main song theme. 
so. 4 of 11 are a bit stagnant-feeling when it comes to atmosphere. 

Yosemite, BUS, FF, and DTWD (if listened to enough to the bridge) helps solidify the album. 
(3 tracks)

7 out of 11 are readily great. 

the overall tone of the album does sound quite similar w the songs, w each other, and aren't as intoxicating compared to her past work, but are saved by the 7. and if that works effectively, it fleshes out the 4 a chance at being listened to, and that's when their fullness comes out. 

it's her softest album, and the overall stillness that's emitted from it from behind, between the tracks give a general feel of contemplation, but also uneasiness. and I think it's because to the listener, the less patience you have, the more anxiousness u might get from anticipation. that's what I mean when I say that the listener needs to sort of be ready for it's peace, and that's when all its sweetness comes out in her little added and built up details. For Free readily completes that vibe at its start n piano.  

WD's contemplative piano intro, to ghostly vocals and fidgety inflections contrasted w it's soft hesitance and dreamy nostalgic verses. 
Chemtrails the ultimate hypnotizing eerie masterpiece. it's strength relies on it's strong use of repetition and amplifying on it. senses toward variety are betrayed as it keeps steady. 
TJF's the coolest hot track we've gotten so far. also stands out from the record at how smooth it is and it's contrasting tempo. 
LMLYAW's opening chords commands your attention to be listened to wholly. the pacing is dramatic but not too heavy, rewarded w it's narco drones and sharp heavenly bridge. 

WAT's resonating bridge. 
DBJAG's meaning/ intent of cold cutting off like a sociopath w it's piano and carelessness of it's simple finishing is amplified by its felinely sung verses. 
the creeping horns in DTWD to boldness at the bridge. 
listeners are rewarded w NAWWAL's sweet sweet vocals, and sort of serves as the record's true breather. 

til the album finishes w Yosemite's clap-happy hymn darker dipped sound, BUS's briefness. to the last 2 tracks. 
DTWD's surprising bridge
and encapsulated and closed with For Free's sweet piano, known-storytelling and layers of voice thru harmonies. 

the album protect's itself by hiding it's beauty, asking you to relish the little details and engage a little bit deeper than her more straightforward counterparts. 

if this album was a person, it would be like looking at an average seeming person that's got a strong, but silent sense of self. not too showy, but enjoys their own company and does what they please. someone who's hesitant to show u their true worth unless you actually try to feel them out n see where they come from. gets better as you get to know them. I love it. a jewel. it's cutely riveting in that sense. yet still so softly magnificent.

and if you're patient with it, it'll give you peace and a soft kind of enchantment from the everyday. and who'd wanna push that away?

Diamantes gives it a solid 9.2/10 
DC20JMd.gif87VXRF0.gif

I don't think anyone else could pull all this off like her. appreciating her softness is what's she's been doing. her songwriting. stronger too. giphy.gif

this was long. and probably some critics' well of perception. I just know it. if used, please donate to the cause of influencing anyone for that off white pearlescent vinyl. ty. 

UV/Honeymoon

On 4/11/2021 at 5:36 AM, LanaBoi said:

Anyone else think that Tusla Jesus freak could've turned into a 10 minute Venice Bitch psychedelic song? 

yes, COCC too.

I found this but even this extended version could have been more adventurous and longer.

For me, CoCc is pretty similar to LFL in a way that there are some standouts I keep coming back for but the album as a whole is pretty forgetable. While LFL had much lower lows and was stitched together, cohesion-lacking mess it also had much higher highs. CoCc on the other hand flows more organically, yet even the best songs on it aren't really very exciting. Especially compared to more or less any song on UV, HM and NFR

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

43 minutes ago, NewportBitch said:

Daddy Rick appears in a YouTube comment section to give a little more background on the guitar in Yosemite :krylie:

https://www.youtube.com/post/UgwshAL_8BBA136oCp94AaABCQ

Wow I love how this confirms (because I previously didn't know) that the song was always called TNBAR, not Architecture! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOAMnxOk1Uo&ab_channel=AntonTL

Don't know if this guy's performance of DBJAG has already been discussed here, but I find it just brilliant. His voice makes the song even more EELS's-like, and captures perfectly the elegance and somberness of it. If you havent already, give it a listen!