Elle

Chemtrails Over the Country Club - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Chemtrails Over the Country Club  

868 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Chemtrails Over the Country Club?

• White Dress
    • Chemtrails Over the Country Club
    • Tulsa Jesus Freak
    • Let Me Love You Like a Woman
    • Wild at Heart
    • Dark But Just a Game
    • Not All Who Wander Are Lost
    • Yosemite
    • Breaking Up Slowly
    • Dance Till We Die
    • For Free

On 4/16/2021 at 3:42 PM, Pale Fire said:

Sis the album came out literally less than a month ago why you talking about it like it dropped in the 90s

Well it could had been :hoe:

To me, White Dress has a staying power and is truly up there with West Coast, Venice Bitch, Shades of Cool, Mariners Apartment Complex, and Hope is a Dangerous Thing as Lana songs that remain untouchable. Wow.

This whole record is just outstanding and gets even better with each listen (as if that’s even possible)! 

I gave some thought to the track listing. 

What if For Free and White Dress switched positions? For Free opening with its instrumentals would be like an curtain opening, transitioning the album slowly out of NFR’s Laurel Canyon. 

I also think HIADT should’ve been saved for COCC to give it an extra emotional weight/beef up the album a bit and it would appear somewhere after Dark But Just a Game. 

On 4/19/2021 at 12:24 AM, ParadiseFreak said:

I think  you might be the first person I've ever seen describe early Lana as "upbeat."  My favorite albums of hers are Paradise, Ultraviolence and Honeymoon.  All pretty *light* on the "upbeat."  What I miss is the dark cinematic sound of those records.  I think it has a lot to do with the production, but also her lyrics feel more throwaway these days too.

Well, Radio, National Anthem, Serial Killer etc are definitely upbeat. Even her ballads like Born to Die and Blue Jeans and Summertime Sadness had a beat. I mean, Lana was actually on the radio in the charts all the time and was considered pop. Her last real attempt at a proper single is Love and Lust for Life because it had The Weekend on it, and Doin' Time.

But none of her work with Antonoff charted - not one of the singles. And whilst I love his work on all tree of her last albums, I want the general public to hear her music. 

3 hours ago, CinnamonGay said:

Why is the album performing so poorly streamwise?????

NFR had 25k+ streams...every song at this time..

Cuz it's super slow. People want to hear music that lifts their mood. Which is why her best performing albums on streaming are BTD and Lust for Life. I keep saying - she needs to put in more effort into her singles. Let me love you like a woman was the worst choice

4 hours ago, CinnamonGay said:

I think that it's because people are not going back to the album. They're listening a couple of times and are moving on

4 hours ago, CinnamonGay said:

20 minutes ago, BluebirdXO said:

I think that it's because people are not going back to the album. They're listening to a couple of times and are moving on

I forgot to say that I think that this is happening because the songs are personal. 

Most of the songs are about fame, the more upbeat ones are kinda generic and a little bit outdated and the love songs are not relatable (TJF), boring (LMLLW) or outshined (BUS).

That's probably why people are not connecting with the album 

still not connecting with the album as i'd like to, but on my work commute today i listened to Breaking Up Slowly and White Dress a few times and really enjoyed them :flutter:

there's something really dark and honest about Breaking Up Slowly - i know it's not a fave on here but it gives me God Knows I Tried vibes (which is another oft forgotten Lana song that i love!), just really sparse instrumentation but haunting lyrics and powerful vocals and the melody is honestly so catchy to me. it probably helps that i'm going thru some romantic bullshit of my own right now too!

White Dress is just gorgeous... there's a sort of desperation to it, a real anxiousness in the pacing and melody but a sense of triumph with the lyrics. i think it really captures that feeling of being a young woman trying to "make it" (in one way or another) in a room full of men. i especially love the line "wearing a tight dress, handling the heat" because i'm sure a lot of us girlies have been there - wearing something sexy, knowing you have to weaponise your sexuality to achieve what you want in that environment, but also trying to handle all the heat it brings you.

Wq9zHLl.jpg

the way she was able to evoke so much emotion and totally get her point across with a line as simple as "just listening to Kings of Leon to the beat" :legend:

like I was too young to listen to the White Stripes while they were white hot or Kings of Leon but I feel like I have and I wish I DID 

tumblr_mlk5fk2dDZ1s6jvbvo4_250.gif   tumblr_otaqmarVHa1u9dqtjo3_400.gif  tumblr_mlk5fk2dDZ1s6jvbvo7_250.gif

34 minutes ago, daphnedinkley said:

White Dress is just gorgeous... there's a sort of desperation to it, a real anxiousness in the pacing and melody but a sense of triumph with the lyrics. i think it really captures that feeling of being a young woman trying to "make it" (in one way or another) in a room full of men. i especially love the line "wearing a tight dress, handling the heat" because i'm sure a lot of us girlies have been there - wearing something sexy, knowing you have to weaponise your sexuality to achieve what you want in that environment, but also trying to handle all the heat it brings you.

yes yes yes to this, these are all things i love about WD too and what makes it so powerful for me. the balance of vulnerability, anxiety, joy, power, possibility.

aOaIzH2.gif

16 minutes ago, rightofjupiter said:

yes yes yes to this, these are all things i love about WD too and what makes it so powerful for me. the balance of vulnerability, anxiety, joy, power, possibility.

yes! possibility is such a key word there! feeling like you're conquering the world even though its just one small room, now knowing what could happen next... :flutter: 

Wq9zHLl.jpg

I said it before and I'll say it again, I think COCC sounds like an involuntary answer to the weeknd's After Hours. Long post incoming so ready yourselves.

listen to the ending of this song

Lyrics I'm talking about:

This place (This place) is never what it seems
Take me out LA
Take me out of LA
(Oh, out LA, oh) This place will be the end of me
Take me out LA
Take me out of LA, yeah

&

LA girls all look the same
I can't recognize
The same work done on they face
I don't criticize
She a cold-hearted bitch with no shame
But her throat too fire
She got Chrome Hearts hangin' from her neck
And them shits going wild
When she ride, she hold tight
She gon' ride 'til sweat fall down her spine

"LA girls all look the same, I can't recognize, the same work done on their face I don't criticize" you guys have seen her friend group right? who basically all look the same with different hair colors. 

"She's a cold hearted bitch with no shame, but her throat too fire" I mean, his album came out before the QFTC thing happened, but some call her a bitch and cold hearted and that she has no care that other artists have struggled worse than she has and she has no shame about it. She feels that way and that's that on that. Also, it was funny because this line instantly made me think of that line in JFK when she says "Throat like an angel with a voice that was made of gold" it's not the same but still, made me think of it. Now we get to the fun part.

"She got chrome hearts hanging from her neck and them shits going wild" Remember how she made a necklace that said wild at heart? Here's the tweet if you need a reminder 

Chrome Hearts is a brand, but it also just made me laugh when thinking of the two -- her necklace says "wild at heart" and what he says. Also, the last couple of lines are obviously referring to sex, but remember one of her biggest songs was Ride.

One last thing I forgot to mention, his lines about escaping LA go hand in hand with the entirety of Let Me Love You.

Obviously, this post is for fun... but I just wanted to point a similarity out. 

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

16 minutes ago, TerrenceLovesHoneymoon said:

White Dress should've been on NFR!

I think DBJAG and NATWWAL could've won NFR the grammy. If those two were included there, it would've been an absolute perfect album

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

While i have taken a little break from this record (just until we see if RCS really happens) all i can say is i think this is her best record since honeymoon. I seriously do not get the un-hype for it. Yes its a little on the softer side, but its so concise, and punchy in all the right spots, that its almost hard not to listen to it all the way through. Well done miss thing, you've created a record that will always remind me of home and washed away any doubts i had about getting your art watered down by California over the years x

Norman Fucking Tin Can 

WD deals w and lends to nostalgia of life doors passed thru. 
Chemtrails, existential, the boldness of being yourself w how you want 
TJF's the cheerleader track. 
LMLYLAW is for those who love nobly. 
WAH's the most mellow of the tracks. it's the brief rush of after having gone thru something stifling. like a breeze of freedom 
DBJAG gets better n better and unfortunately darker the more u realize and witness how fucked up the world can be. 
NAWWAL's the sweetest track on the record. it's a genuine chill rest stop
Yosemite's a proclamation and appreciation of the self and others as they are. a wholesome answer to DBJAG's sociopathy. 
BUS has a mature heart. 
DTWD's a softly mischievous traveling companion
For Free's ice klinking in ur drink of choice that sorta brings u back to ur direct environment. 

I think why some others think of it as a bit boring or not as much is because it's a transitory album. where the rest of her work had more of a solid structure and ending, this one's more contemplative based on what you've already lived through. that and how it's meaning is more abstract and loose, so the listener sorta has to make more of it thru what they pull from their own lives. but. it's also that kind of adaptability that makes it great and strangely reassuring.

UV/Honeymoon

On 4/22/2021 at 4:19 AM, CinnamonGay said:

NFR had a small radio hit with DT and a tiktok hit with MAC. Overall it was more accessible than COCC. And we didn't have QFTC und the mesh mask back then.

Edit: COCC also sold a record amount of vinyls. I guess if you paid that much money for it, you are going to listen to it and not stream it.

Edit 2: DCMA was also good PR