Elle

Chemtrails Over the Country Club - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Chemtrails Over the Country Club  

868 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Chemtrails Over the Country Club?

• White Dress
    • Chemtrails Over the Country Club
    • Tulsa Jesus Freak
    • Let Me Love You Like a Woman
    • Wild at Heart
    • Dark But Just a Game
    • Not All Who Wander Are Lost
    • Yosemite
    • Breaking Up Slowly
    • Dance Till We Die
    • For Free

I've been listening a lot to this album recently and I love it with my whole heart :wub:

The fact that this album came out in my birth month makes me love it kinda more. It felt like a gift from Lana somehow & also the winter slowly went away  at that time & spring slowly started. A very beautiful time to discover the album :flutter: I said it already a lot but this album gives me a lot of walking around in nature vibes & I love love it. One of my most favourite /personal things to do,  the best way to calm down & just be at peace. I feel so comfortable in the sound of this album. It also sounds so good at night time too , perfect for lying alone on the ground & watching the stars.  Love & adore every song on the album.  White Dress is stunning , a career highlight,  nostalgic & so beautiful . The title track is absolutely beautiful,  I can't put it into words how beautiful it is. It aged like fine wine & I love everything about this song. TJF is so sensual , beautiful & interesting to me & a bop:sluttybunny:. LMLYLAW is actually really beautiful too.  The Infinitiy part,  the bridge & the guitar in it is really beautiful. Love the heart beat in the chorus , it's so lovely . Her vocals on Wild At Heart are EVERYTHING!! Definetly my smoking anthem!! Dark But Just A Game is a little bit darker which I absolutely love. The verses are incredible,  the instrumental break with the drop at the end is gorgeous & gets me everytime. I love how crystal clear her voice in the chorus is , it sounds like she is singing in my room to me,  directly into my ears. 

I really can relate to NAWWAL,  love the title, it's simple but so beautiful & dreamy , makes me feel peaceful  & really comfortable. Yosemite is incredible too & probably my fave. I want to be in the place one day that Yosemite represents  & this tracks gives me so many great images in my head. To me NAWWAL & Yosemite connect the best with nature & I can't describe how much I love that. Also love the acoustic guitar in both of them a lot.

On my first few listens I wasn’t a big fan of BUS but fuck me I love it now. The instrumental is gorgeous,  so happy they went with the Pedal Steel & they did such a great job with it. Nikki sounds good on it, they both sound amazing in the chorus & overall it's such a nighttime or rainy day song. Dance Till We Die is definitely another fave too. I can personal really connect with it & We won't stop dancing till we die  is such a great way to describe me & my bestie  & how we are . This song also reminds me of spring starting to begin after a long winter ends , of the sun  that breaks through the clouds after the rain,  the moment when you get out of a depressed state of mind into a better one. The production feels rich & so warm especially in the chorus. The bridge is of course an absolute highlight. I like For Free as a closer actually & Weyes Blood really sounds like Joni Mitchell, it's crazy. I just wish the instrumental outro would have been a bit longer.  Really needed to appreciate this album again & I could say way more about every song but I tried too keep it short haha but this album will always have a special place in my heart. And I'm not able to rank her albums anymore cause I love every album for a different reason but COCC definetly feels personal  to me & I love love the vibes it gives me :wub:

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

12 minutes ago, Pico Boulevard said:

I've been listening a lot to this album recently and I love it with my whole heart :wub:

The fact that this album came out in my birth month makes me love it kinda more. It felt like a gift from Lana somehow & also the winter slowly went away  at that time & spring slowly started. A very beautiful time to discover the album :flutter: I said it already a lot but this album gives me a lot of walking around in nature vibes & I love love it. One of my most favourite /personal things to do,  the best way to calm down & just be at peace. I feel so comfortable in the sound of this album. It also sounds so good at night time too , perfect for lying alone on the ground & watching the stars.  Love & adore every song on the album.  White Dress is stunning , a career highlight,  nostalgic & so beautiful . The title track is absolutely beautiful,  I can't put it into words how beautiful it is. It aged like fine wine & I love everything about this song. TJF is so sensual , beautiful & interesting to me & a bop:sluttybunny:. LMLYLAW is actually really beautiful too.  The Infinitiy part,  the bridge & the guitar in it is really beautiful. Love the heart beat in the chorus , it's so lovely . Her vocals on Wild At Heart are EVERYTHING!! Definetly my smoking anthem!! Dark But Just A Game is a little bit darker which I absolutely love. The verses are incredible,  the instrumental break with the drop at the end is gorgeous & gets me everytime. I love how crystal clear her voice in the chorus is , it sounds like she is singing in my room to me,  directly into my ears. 

I really can relate to NAWWAL,  love the title, it's simple but so beautiful & dreamy , makes me feel peaceful  & really comfortable. Yosemite is incredible too & probably my fave. I want to be in the place one day that Yosemite represents  & this tracks gives me so many great images in my head. To me NAWWAL & Yosemite connect the best with nature & I can't describe how much I love that. Also love the acoustic guitar in both of them a lot.

On my first few listens I wasn’t a big fan of BUS but fuck me I love it now. The instrumental is gorgeous,  so happy they went with the Pedal Steel & they did such a great job with it. Nikki sounds good on it, they both sound amazing in the chorus & overall it's such a nighttime or rainy day song. Dance Till We Die is definitely another fave too. I can personal really connect with it & We won't stop dancing till we die  is such a great way to describe me & my bestie  & how we are . This song also reminds me of spring starting to begin after a long winter ends , of the sun  that breaks through the clouds after the rain,  the moment when you get out of a depressed state of mind into a better one. The production feels rich & so warm especially in the chorus. The bridge is of course an absolute highlight. I like For Free as a closer actually & Weyes Blood really sounds like Joni Mitchell, it's crazy. I just wish the instrumental outro would have been a bit longer.  Really needed to appreciate this album again & I could say way more about every song but I tried too keep it short haha but this album will always have a special place in my heart. And I'm not able to rank her albums anymore cause I love every album for a different reason but COCC definetly feels personally to me & I love love the vibes it gives me :wub:

You spilled bestie!!!:trisha:

good article from a surprising source-- points were made!!!! my dad just sent it to me!!

https://lawliberty.org/facing-reality-under-the-chemtrails/

Lana-Del-Rey-2048x1024.jpg

The supposed freedom that modern sexual liberation and the erosion of traditional gender roles and standards have a dark side—one contemporary music is often unwilling or unable to recognize. Del Rey’s confidence in her own femininity, her apathy towards contemporary feminist expectations of what she should aspire to, and her complaints about what has happened to expectations of men and masculinity in general may make her persona non grata to cultural and social elites, but it is precisely what endears her to a subset of her fans.

The core of Del Rey’s unique answer to the alienation so many of her young reactionary fans feel is in the title song where she sings about how “There’s nothing wrong contemplating God under the chemtrails over the country club.” While sad girl music and popular music in general might sell you the leaky vase message that the problem with liberation is just that we aren’t liberated enough yet, Del Rey’s message really is that normality and the mundane really might be where happiness and authentic meaning is found. The entire song is a kind of subtle defense of ordinariness. “It’s beautiful how this deep normality settles down over me” she sings, “I’m not bored or unhappy, I’m still so strange and wild.” Far from stifling her and turning her into a soulless automaton it’s in this kind of normality where she’s actually free to be herself, to be authentic.

Del Rey’s music captures the anxiety and alienation so many people, especially young people, feel today. But her music points towards what might essentially be a “conservative” explanation and solution to this crisis of meaning. Freedom understood as complete emancipation from any conventional or traditional restraints, and a world in which you are free to indulge any kind of hedonistic and libertine impulse without judgment has a dark side. It leaves us feeling hollow and empty, it might satisfy us in the moment, but it doesn’t offer the deeper and more basic and stable happiness that we really crave. Del Rey, intentionally or not, seems to grasp this. Chemtrails Over The Country Club picks up and builds on the broader motifs in Del Rey’s discography.

I haven't been able to listen to this album and enjoy it recently, and I think it's because the atmosphere of it doesn't seem to fit warmer weather. Therefore, I really feel like this album is definitely made to be listened in late autumn or winter:wub:

꧁ღ⊱♥ i lost my reputation, i forgot my truth, but i have my beauty and i have my youth ♥⊱ღ꧂

BRILLIANT.gif

28 minutes ago, honeymo0n said:

I haven't been able to listen to this album and enjoy it recently, and I think it's because the atmosphere of it doesn't seem to fit warmer weather. Therefore, I really feel like this album is definitely made to be listened in late autumn or winter:wub:

That's why it should've been released in September. 

Mfhp.gif

I'm still sad we didn't got a Tulsa Jesus Freak music video

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

On 7/9/2021 at 4:53 PM, Pico Boulevard said:

I'm still sad we didn't got a Tulsa Jesus Freak music video

it would just be her walking around in a parking lot, half lip syncing lyrics, and maybe Nikki Lane or sumn.

giphy.gif

On 7/9/2021 at 11:56 AM, urgirl said:

good article from a surprising source-- points were made!!!! my dad just sent it to me!!

https://lawliberty.org/facing-reality-under-the-chemtrails/

Lana-Del-Rey-2048x1024.jpg

I like the fact diverse people think about her as opposed to people just not thinking about her at all, and hopefully, LDR won't respond (either positively or negatively) to the article, as an artist should not have to explain her art too much (and responding never did her much good, anyway). It's a better article than the Ann Powers' drug-induced one; however, characterizing LDR's current or past artistic agenda as being largely anchored in the longing for stable norms (even given some of that in COCC) does seem to over-agendize her for conservatives, disclaimers at the end of the article notwithstanding.  Does she yearn for normalcy more in her life now, circa COCC? Sure, I can see that. Is it a major part of her art or her art's attraction to fans? Maybe not. 

Artistically he didn't take the video for COCC (title track) into account, where turning into vampire-esq werewolves does not suggest longing for normalcy to me. Also no talk of TJF, WAH, DTWD, so maybe the argument is cherry-picked? I agree White Dress is a very interesting song to talk about. I'm still waiting for critics (or think-pieces) to pick up on the Sun Ra reference. I don't know his music, but I looked him up on wikipedia, and in some respects he is exactly the type of role model one could hope for an impressionable young Lizzy (prolificness, technical skills,  avante-gardness, epic response to being drafted for WWII, beliefs in alien abductions, and tenacity/longevity with respect to music and performing).

9 minutes ago, PeroxidePrincess said:

I read a comment on YT of someone saying she romanticises conspiracy theories and classism on Chemtrails...:rip:

I’m fed up with liberal and politically correct activists saying that she romanticizes conspiracy theories when in reality she’s just a romantic person singing about the realities of what we are all now seeing are very prevalent abusive conspiratorial governments all over the world

i NEEDED to get my thoughts out somewhere ever since march so! i actually loved the album, i wish there were more songs but it still feels compact and complete. it never seemed to me like a continuation of NFR, there are certain similarities, but all in all it's a standalone body of work. in particular because of how personal it is - probably the most personal album of lana's, i guess. BB might take that title tho, judging by the singles.

Spoiler

her raw vocals in white dress still break my heart. so deeply nostalgic and sincere. the bridge!!! but i would still go back if i could do it all again, i thought, because it made me feel, made me feel like a god... :lange: i wanna go back too!!! music video was a bit of a bummer to me tbh cause i expected something more after the COCC one which was a cinematic masterpiece. god i remember searching for it on some sketchy russian website like an hour or two before its official release because i couldn't wait any longer lmao

COCC is so beautiful. starts as a piano ballad but turns out to be one of the most multi-layered songs along with TJF. it sounds dreamy and almost... anxious at the same? the way she sings the chorus and those sounds of a plane engine and wolf howling (i guess? i'm talking about effects during "suburbia, the brentwood market" and "it's never too late baby so don't give up") give me that vibe. i wish album version had outro vocals from the music video cause they somehow remind me of UV. and i loved the single cover with the wolf so much, if only it could be the album cover...

i have to confess i was a bit worried about autotune in TJF snippet but it came out to suit the whole song perfectly! those background vocals during "we'll be white hot forever", it truly sounds like something else. TJF feels to be to COCC what HBTB was to honeymoon.

LMLYLAW somehow turned out to be my most-streamed song by lana last year? i don't listen to it as much as i did when it was released as a single but the lyrics still hit right at home:xcry:

dark but just a game was the first song on the album that got stuck on repeat for quite a long time. i really love the story behind it and its message. so i'm not gonna change, i'll stay the same:illumilana2:

finally listening to yosemite after all those years was so relieving. it has that sound effect from btd that makes me nostalgic and i actually like the simplicity of lyrics, and i think it fits COCC much better than LFL.

the dance til we die bridge.... I NEED MORE!!!

and the best one, wild at heart:trisha: it remains my favorite from the start. i don't even care it uses instrumental of HTD, i actually think it fits WAH even better but i like to think of it as background vocals UV and FMWUTT share. pre-chorus is so heartbreaking i don't think i'll ever recover from it (but the polka dots line always sends me tho). chorus is BEAUTIFUL. the outro? one of THE BEST along with text book

and i haven't yet listened to those left out that much but there's always time to re-discover them, even though i still wish BUS and for free weren't collabs:eek: i really hope to get my hands on the vinyl someday. it's always a bit different listening to albums that way and just the right way to get into songs you missed.

I don’t frequent this thread much, so it’s probably been said before but

Even though I see a lot of chemtrails hate, with tons of people calling it her worst album, I feel like down the line a lot of people will refer to it as one of her best. Sure, the era was practically nonexistent - which kinda kills the vibe during release, but it’s probably one of her most cohesive bodies of work to date. 

It’s a little short, but each song fits so nicely together and it makes so much sense, no filler tracks in sight, just a great 11 track run. god i love this record :flutter: