Elle

Chemtrails Over the Country Club - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Chemtrails Over the Country Club  

868 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Chemtrails Over the Country Club?

• White Dress
    • Chemtrails Over the Country Club
    • Tulsa Jesus Freak
    • Let Me Love You Like a Woman
    • Wild at Heart
    • Dark But Just a Game
    • Not All Who Wander Are Lost
    • Yosemite
    • Breaking Up Slowly
    • Dance Till We Die
    • For Free

tulsa jesus freak is that good :true: not like i have a clue what it means at all but i am LIVING :true: also just read genius' page on tjf for the first time and learnt that "arkansas" refers to a river in tulsa, oklahoma (commonly pronounced the way she does in this song esp by locals) :wowcry: 

mUENGN9.png

This album feels like a warm embrace during the painful cold of winter. I remember walking around town a couple of days ago, listening to White Dress and Not All Who Wander, looking up at the sky and it felt... sublime

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

I can't.... my favorite record shop said he didn't get any Chemtrails for RSD but the other one did so i'm gonna have to go to the one that's farther awayyyyy

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

53 minutes ago, Hydroponic Weeds said:

I can't.... my favorite record shop said he didn't get any Chemtrails for RSD but the other one did so i'm gonna have to go to the one that's farther awayyyyy

Where are you from?

http://EB94-F944-4-FE0-4885-9-DE3-3-CC6-C68-A9-

The legacy

2 hours ago, TextBook said:

Where are you from?

in the US here

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

So the closest record store who could have the Special Wolf Cover RSD vinyl is 2 hours away but I have an important meeting tomorrow at 10 am. I could drive to the store after it but I'm scared it will be sold out by the time I arrive. Is their a way to get the special vinyl online?

Spoiler

The way there is a record store in my town who always took part at RSD but it closed forever during the last lockwdown. Lowkey hate it here:awkney2:

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

12 hours ago, Dealer Boulevard said:

So the closest record store who could have the Special Wolf Cover RSD vinyl is 2 hours away but I have an important meeting tomorrow at 10 am. I could drive to the store after it but I'm scared it will be sold out by the time I arrive. Is their a way to get the special vinyl online?

Hide contents

The way there is a record store in my town who always took part at RSD but it closed forever during the last lockwdown. Lowkey hate it here:awkney2:

im so sorry that happened, luckily my record shops have stayed around (prolly because of me honestly) but you could always try discogs, the issue is it might be more expensive there

giphy.gif

I tried a new song order, from least to most popular (on spotify), and now I like the album even better.

For Free and Breaking Up Slowly are actually not such bad songs, and having my three favorites (already heard many times) at the end provides some anticipation.

1. For Free
  2. Dance Till We Die
  3. Not All Who Wander Are Lost
  4. Breaking Up Slowly
  5. Yosemite
  6. Wild At Heart
  7. Dark But Just A Game
  8. Tulsa Jesus Freak
  9. White Dress
  10. Let Me Love You Like a Woman
  11. Chemtrails Over The Country Club

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/56o9e0dDQhvanJzoiINTx8?si=44cf59c56a6b4529

On 4/13/2021 at 10:35 PM, Pineapple B00ST said:

I still think LMLYLAW's a great big key to this album. 

WD solid 
COCC solid 
TJF elevator kink song, solid. 
LMLYLAW, gonna follow in Hope's footsteps 
WAT sweet treat of a track, many people'll grow to love if they haven't already 
DBJAG, has the edge factor. the soft sledging beats make it sensually cold. it's because it doesn't explode but rather relies on the soft piano afterblow. 
NAWWAL, I think that this is the sweetest track on the album. a bit hallmark w the wanderlust, but it's a really cute song. 
Yosemite adds the staying weight to the record. 
BUS is great, the collab really strengthens it. perfect for a quick choice single 
DTWD, slow burn that's lifted bc of it's bridge. it's a promise of her capability to write more fiery and active. 
For Free, very beautiful. a perfect way to end the record, w collabs. 

from the gp's/ non-avid listeners' perspective:
WAT might seem slow to start and might not finish. 
NAWWAL sounds similar to WAT's start. slow to start. 
DTWD as well. 
and strangely enough, DJBAG follows a similar pacing. 

tracks 1-4. great, dynamic, varying in sound. 
WAT, DBJAG, NAWWAL, and DTWD follow a similar kind of pacing. might not follow. 
DBJAG has no real hook, and kinda relies on it's name a bit. bridge-less that roll the peak. the hollowness works for it bc of the main song theme. 
so. 4 of 11 are a bit stagnant-feeling when it comes to atmosphere. 

Yosemite, BUS, FF, and DTWD (if listened to enough to the bridge) helps solidify the album. 
(3 tracks)

7 out of 11 are readily great. 

the overall tone of the album does sound quite similar w the songs, w each other, and aren't as intoxicating compared to her past work, but are saved by the 7. and if that works effectively, it fleshes out the 4 a chance at being listened to, and that's when their fullness comes out. 

it's her softest album, and the overall stillness that's emitted from it from behind, between the tracks give a general feel of contemplation, but also uneasiness. and I think it's because to the listener, the less patience you have, the more anxiousness u might get from anticipation. that's what I mean when I say that the listener needs to sort of be ready for it's peace, and that's when all its sweetness comes out in her little added and built up details. For Free readily completes that vibe at its start n piano.  

WD's contemplative piano intro, to ghostly vocals and fidgety inflections contrasted w it's soft hesitance and dreamy nostalgic verses. 
Chemtrails the ultimate hypnotizing eerie masterpiece. it's strength relies on it's strong use of repetition and amplifying on it. senses toward variety are betrayed as it keeps steady. 
TJF's the coolest hot track we've gotten so far. also stands out from the record at how smooth it is and it's contrasting tempo. 
LMLYAW's opening chords commands your attention to be listened to wholly. the pacing is dramatic but not too heavy, rewarded w it's narco drones and sharp heavenly bridge. 

WAT's resonating bridge. 
DBJAG's meaning/ intent of cold cutting off like a sociopath w it's piano and carelessness of it's simple finishing is amplified by its felinely sung verses. 
the creeping horns in DTWD to boldness at the bridge. 
listeners are rewarded w NAWWAL's sweet sweet vocals, and sort of serves as the record's true breather. 

til the album finishes w Yosemite's clap-happy hymn darker dipped sound, BUS's briefness. to the last 2 tracks. 
DTWD's surprising bridge
and encapsulated and closed with For Free's sweet piano, known-storytelling and layers of voice thru harmonies. 

the album protect's itself by hiding it's beauty, asking you to relish the little details and engage a little bit deeper than her more straightforward counterparts. 

if this album was a person, it would be like looking at an average seeming person that's got a strong, but silent sense of self. not too showy, but enjoys their own company and does what they please. someone who's hesitant to show u their true worth unless you actually try to feel them out n see where they come from. gets better as you get to know them. I love it. a jewel. it's cutely riveting in that sense. yet still so softly magnificent.

and if you're patient with it, it'll give you peace and a soft kind of enchantment from the everyday. and who'd wanna push that away?

Diamantes gives it a solid 9.2/10 
DC20JMd.gif87VXRF0.gif

I don't think anyone else could pull all this off like her. appreciating her softness is what's she's been doing. her songwriting. stronger too. giphy.gif

this was long. and probably some critics' well of perception. I just know it. if used, please donate to the cause of influencing anyone for that off white pearlescent vinyl. ty. 

:hottie:

UV/Honeymoon

On 11/29/2021 at 6:07 AM, bluechemtrails said:

I tried a new song order, from least to most popular (on spotify), and now I like the album even better.

For Free and Breaking Up Slowly are actually not such bad songs, and having my three favorites (already heard many times) at the end provides some anticipation.

1. For Free
  2. Dance Till We Die
  3. Not All Who Wander Are Lost
  4. Breaking Up Slowly
  5. Yosemite
  6. Wild At Heart
  7. Dark But Just A Game
  8. Tulsa Jesus Freak
  9. White Dress
  10. Let Me Love You Like a Woman
  11. Chemtrails Over The Country Club

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/56o9e0dDQhvanJzoiINTx8?si=44cf59c56a6b4529

dance till we die deserves so much better

giphy.gif

This album 100% has some of her best songs to date (to me those are Chemtrails, White Dress, Yosemite and DBJAG). It's also by far her most cohesive album in my opinion. Chemtrails is like a snapshot of Lana's life on the NFR tour and early 2020. You can really hear those Joan Baez influences throughout it, and you can definitely tell a lot of it was done while in the Midwest (which, as a midwestern girl myself, I take pride in). I mentioned this in a status update, but the "it's beautiful how this deep normality settles down over me" lyric is what I would consider to be the mission statement for this album. It's just such a beautiful body of work that I'm so happy to see getting a little extra love today :wub:

imageproxy.jpg

13 minutes ago, Super Movie said:

This album 100% has some of her best songs to date (to me those are Chemtrails, White Dress, Yosemite and DBJAG). It's also by far her most cohesive album in my opinion. Chemtrails is like a snapshot of Lana's life on the NFR tour and early 2020. You can really hear those Joan Baez influences throughout it, and you can definitely tell a lot of it was done while in the Midwest (which, as a midwestern girl myself, I take pride in). I mentioned this in a status update, but the "it's beautiful how this deep normality settles down over me" lyric is what I would consider to be the mission statement for this album. It's just such a beautiful body of work that I'm so happy to see getting a little extra love today :wub:

i'm a midwest girl myself so i also totally understand the album at that level, it's really reminiscent of the colder seasons, especially fall, i think she did a really great job of capturing that energy, i think the slight southern influences also add to the album, also, i feel like this album is strangely festive? i'm currently listening to the album with only the christmas tree lights (it's already dark out) & it's such a vibe! :flutter: nawwal is especially cozy, at the same time, some songs from this album are very summery, such as wild at heart & white dress, i think it's really nice that this album can fit a variety of moods & vibes, i'd say that could contribute to it aging well, a cozy december night with a light snowfall? nawwal, a hot, summer afternoon with a peachy sunset? white dress, a bright, late spring morning? chemtrails, she's versatile! :true: 

WGe8ynS.gif

Now that I got my RSD copy I re-listened to Chemtrails after months (yeah, I'm ashamed) and while it's still not my personal style, damn I was so wrong for judging it that quickly, I feel bad lol. It's so coherent and soooo well produced, the songs flow so nicely, I always feel like I'm in a dream while listening to the album. Objectively/critically speaking this may be her 2nd best after NFR. 
Not gonna lie, I think what made me judge so bad this album was mostly the cover... If she had put any other cover I'd have appreciated the album way more.

Anyways, as I've said from day one: Breaking Up Slowly is still so damn underrated :poordat:

13.04.2018 Rome - Lana wore my hat! 

Dying by the hand of a foreign man, Happily
Calling out my name in the summer rain, Ciao amore

Do any of you also think that Lana genuinely dislikes this album? She didn't even mention it in the Variety interview. It makes me sad because of highlights such as White Dress, Chemtrails, Wild at Heart, Not All Who Wander, Yosemite... why do you think she was so unsatisfied? Do you think she attaches too many bad memories to Sean, Question for the Culture, etc?

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

19 minutes ago, Thunder said:

Do any of you also think that Lana genuinely dislikes this album? She didn't even mention it in the Variety interview. It makes me sad because of highlights such as White Dress, Chemtrails, Wild at Heart, Not All Who Wander, Yosemite... why do you think she was so unsatisfied? Do you think she attaches too many bad memories to Sean, Question for the Culture, etc?

I don’t think she dislikes it all, but I think it’s a record that came out when the stillness and idyll that led to its creation had subsided. And that is for a multitude of reasons, but I think it’s clear that Chemtrails captures a very specific space that Lana has dipped into, but perhaps is still on her way to staying grounded in — as she said to Annie Mac in January, she felt like she was “beckoning it”, even going on to compare it to “when you’re reaching in a relationship, like agh, I just want it so bad!” So I think it’s definitely a record that despite its sequencing, curation, and presentation, may be one that Lana spiritually considers to be a work in progress because so much had changed between making the record and actually having it released.

To me, Blue Banisters represents turning inward to do more personal work, whereas Chemtrails is a record that kind of envisions life as that work is already done, and it’s interesting how prophetic it is since it was finished nearly 2 years ago before Blue Banisters was even conceptualized. That said, though, I think Chemtrails will be even more thematically poignant in the years to come… 

6 minutes ago, IanadeIrey said:

I don’t think she dislikes it all, but I think it’s a record that came out when the stillness and idyll that led to its creation had subsided. And that is for a multitude of reasons, but I think it’s clear that Chemtrails captures a very specific space that Lana has dipped into, but perhaps is still on her way to staying grounded in — as she said to Annie Mac in January, she felt like she was “beckoning it”, even going on to compare it to “when you’re reaching in a relationship, like agh, I just want it so bad!” So I think it’s definitely a record that despite its sequencing, curation, and presentation, may be one that Lana spiritually considers to be a work in progress because so much had changed between making the record and actually having it released.

To me, Blue Banisters represents turning inward to do more personal work, whereas Chemtrails is a record that kind of envisions life as that work is already done, and it’s interesting how prophetic it is since it was finished nearly 2 years ago before Blue Banisters was even conceptualized. That said, though, I think Chemtrails will be even more thematically poignant in the years to come… 

This makes sense. In some ways, I feel like between the time she put it out and the time she began the record, she moved to a different direction when she realized that Chemtrails is representative of the work she needs to do to end up where she wants to be. I really admire Chemtrails for its elusiveness in that regard, and can only see it resonating more and more with people as time goes on