Elle

Chemtrails Over the Country Club - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Chemtrails Over the Country Club  

869 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Chemtrails Over the Country Club?

• White Dress
    • Chemtrails Over the Country Club
    • Tulsa Jesus Freak
    • Let Me Love You Like a Woman
    • Wild at Heart
    • Dark But Just a Game
    • Not All Who Wander Are Lost
    • Yosemite
    • Breaking Up Slowly
    • Dance Till We Die
    • For Free

On 3/26/2021 at 9:13 AM, Marius said:

Every time I see this review and think of that balding rat creep that wrote it I want to scratch my eyes out. Let’s all register for the site and leave 5 star reviews to fuck up their ratings lmao 

Since it’s been a week & a day since Chemtrails was released, I thought I’d finally give my thoughts now that I’ve given the album proper time to settle. I’ve given the album about 30 listens all the way through so far, so I sort of know what my thoughts are.

First off, this just screams ‘end of summer, transitioning into autumn album. The original September release date would have been absolutely perfect, as this album would be a great play from September – November and I really look forward to hearing it then. Last weekend, my friend and I saw another friend for his birthday, and the three of us sat around a bonfire outside while I played Chemtrails and it fit the mood just perfectly. 

In my opinion, this album features some of her, perhaps even her definite, best vocals. Yosemite is just insane all around with her vocals in the very best way. Not All Who Wander Are Lost also features those gorgeous high vocals she does so flawlessly. The singing style on the bridge of Dance Till We Die is one of the best moments of the whole album, and I hope she makes more songs where the entirety is in the style of the bridge.

Dark But Just a Game is a career highlight. Anyone who disagrees with me here is just simply wrong. Immediately, the production on the verses and chorus reminded me of two separate songs, but I couldn’t quite place my finger on it. The verses sort of remind me of Adele’s version of Lovesong, but that’s not exactly what I’m thinking of. It’ll come to me one day in the middle of the night, I’m sure of it. Either way, this was an immediate favourite and I really, really hope she makes more songs in this sort of style.

I’m also glad to see Breaking Up Slowly finally getting some praise here and there, because I really do love this song and I knew I would. I’ve become quite the Nikki Lane fan after seeing her open for Lana in Wichita during the NFR Midwest leg, and I think her harmonies with Lana sound really pretty. I’ve been anticipating this song since the live snippets in October, and it lived up to my expectations.

I’m also glad Zella Day finally got her moment with Lana. I’ve been a huge Zella Day fan for the past 6+ years, so I’m so happy they finally have a song together (I just wish it was an original rather than a cover!)

I haven’t quite decided where Chemtrails lands in my overall album ranking, but it’s somewhere in the middle. I do feel though that with time, this album will crawl its way to an upper spot, especially when autumn hits and it really fits the time of the season.

Here’s my track ranking (subject to change over time), with 1 being my favourite:

1.     Dark but Just a Game

2.     Tulsa Jesus Freak

3.     Breaking Up Slowly

4.     Yosemite

5.     Wild at Heart

6.     White Dress

7.     Dance Till We Die

8.     Chemtrails Over the Country Club

9.     Let Me Love You Like a Woman

10.  Not All Who Wander Are Lost

11.  For Free

Something I will say about this album though is that the track order seems so weird to me. Songs like “Wild at Heart” & “Dark but Just a Game” seem like such obvious closing tracks, so it’s super odd and comes off as out of place to me that they’re both right in the middle. Also, the actual closer “For Free” seems much more like mid-track, like a little interlude. White Dress also just doesn’t seem like a proper opener either. As beautiful as it is, I just feel like it doesn’t set the tone of the album either thematically or sonically. I know it’s one of the more unpopular songs, but out of all the songs on the album, “Let Me Love You Like a Woman” strikes me as the most “opener”-esque. I think that thought is really because of how the song both begins and ends. The ending is so abrupt, that it’s almost like a pre-lude to the story she’s about to tell. Especially if it were to be followed by Chemtrails, I feel like those songs would be really nice back-to-back together to start the album. & that opening line from LMLYLAW, “I come from a small town, how ‘bout you?” really is so fitting for the album and would’ve been a great way to open it.  I reordered the album to what makes more sense to me and have been listening to it in a playlist & have really been enjoying this order, but I'm still experimenting with it:

Spoiler

1.     Let Me Love You Like a Woman

2.     Chemtrails Over the Country Club

3.     Tulsa Jesus Freak

4.     White Dress

5.     For Free

6.     Not All Who Wander Are Lost

7.     Dance Till We Die

8.     Breaking Up Slowly

9.     Yosemite

10.  Dark But Just a Game

11.  Wild at Heart

Overall though, really love this album. I love how all of her albums are distinctly different, she truly is capable of anything. Can't wait to see what's to come  next, and will be happily enjoying this album in the mean time x

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

oh god another post praising white dress? why yes of course it's just that good but u know what also that the video's just so beautiful even if they didn't have any close ups/ had someone else skate. the looks Lana give in the video are just so gorgeous. nd we already know this but this video? I think I fell in love with it just because of her shots. 

in addition to the skies. the desert. the revolving interchanging shots cascading. the flashes. I'm smitten. 

it's got a lot of personal value to me too. I'd always just get out from the city/ suburbs to go to isolated places like these by myself and always just appreciated the openness and calm. nd who doesn't remember the jobs they'd work? it's soaked in blissful nostalgia. in waves. 

stream it 2day 
tenor.gif?itemid=15720282tenor.gif?itemid=15720282

UV/Honeymoon

I believe in soft beauty. the beauty that catches u off guard. it's beautifully petrifying. it's spellbinding but gets better n better down to the sweet gingerly core. like u know that feeling when ur aware someone's staring at you, and u softly :die: and then walk out looking back smiling? that's White Dress. 

UV/Honeymoon

mentioned this in a status update, but seriously, this album was made for vinyl. each track sounds so intimate. it's so beautiful

imageproxy.jpg

I had this weird thought that- if you took elements of COCC (country-ness, hints of an autobiographical Lana in the AKA/trailer park era), you could've gotten an earlier Kacey Musgraves album. Like NAWWAL could've been reworked for Kacey.

Fortunately, COCC turned out to be a very Lana album and it's something nobody is gonna touch in the near future.

35 minutes ago, venice witch said:

i mean white dress is really pretty but after all, thats where i can feel that Lana wanted wilder production, especially with the drums parts, and Jack wasn't be able to satisfy her :oprah3:

Kinda agree. White Dress is my fav from COCC but Jack should have gone wilder. Lana really needs someone who’s capable of doing THINGS with drums and not (as someone’s already mentioned in this thread) put them in a song like they’re playing in a different room. 

giphy.gif

Really open to what you all have to say on this:

I was planning a potential mini vacay drive over to Yosemite (which wouldn't take that long in relation to where I live) so that it would be special to listen to COCC for the first time. Right now that seems like that's not happening so I wanted to think of somewhere else to go to listen to it. Maybe go on a nature hike? Drive through the city on a sunny morning? 

If you could give COCC a time/place, what would that be like?

I listened to NFR! on an hour long boat ride under the Golden Gate bridge and it was so magical, I think this album deserves a cool first experience as well!

13 minutes ago, VioletPrincess said:

I was planning a potential mini vacay drive over to Yosemite (which wouldn't take that long in relation to where I live) so that it would be special to listen to COCC for the first time. Right now that seems like that's not happening so I wanted to think of somewhere else to go to listen to it. Maybe go on a nature hike? Drive through the city on a sunny morning? 

I listened to NFR! on an hour long boat ride under the Golden Gate bridge and it was so magical, I think this album deserves a cool first experience as well!

Definitely an open coutryside, or a hill yeah a river, lake or in the city at night

UV/Honeymoon

22 minutes ago, VioletPrincess said:

a hike for sure, near a natural body of water if possible. I also think, weather permitting, laying outside on a blanket in the grass somewhere pretty (even your own backyard or local park) and stare at the sky. Also outdoors at night looking at the stars.

aOaIzH2.gif

28 minutes ago, VioletPrincess said:

Last weekend, two friends and I listened to COTCC while sitting around a bonfire at night, and it really was a perfect setting. I would recommend doing something similar! It's more of a nature album than a city album, and more of a night album than a day album x

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS