Elle

Chemtrails Over the Country Club - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Chemtrails Over the Country Club  

856 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Chemtrails Over the Country Club?

• White Dress
    • Chemtrails Over the Country Club
    • Tulsa Jesus Freak
    • Let Me Love You Like a Woman
    • Wild at Heart
    • Dark But Just a Game
    • Not All Who Wander Are Lost
    • Yosemite
    • Breaking Up Slowly
    • Dance Till We Die
    • For Free

On 2/10/2022 at 12:51 PM, the ocean said:

this album still hasn’t clicked with me yet as a whole

i love most of the first half especially the first 3 songs and dbjag but i’m lost by the second half

i only have white dress, chemtrails, tulsa and wah in my library. you dont have to like something.

my thoughts and personal relation with COCC (its mostly just me rambling but here it is anyway uhm)

Spoiler

Come for me if you want, but the most exciting part about pre-release eras, for me, is the wait for the leak. It's unpredictable - it could be a week before release, it could be a month, who knows. COCC leaked about 10 days prior to release, I believe. 

I remember rushing to find a link and eventually found one of these shady music download sites - those where you're note quite sure if the "Download" button is going to direct you to another website prompting you to install COCC.exe, or asking you to fill out a survey to access the content (sure, Jan).

But it seemed legit, but the download took more than an hour or so :rip: 

Everyone on here was excited and waiting for someone to finally confirm whether the file was legit or not and... it was!

I was so excited, I hit play and listened to the entire album and... I was... whelmed.

At first listen, I liked Wild at Heart, Tulsa Jesus Freak and Dance Till We Die's bridge and absolutely loved Yosemite.

And that was about it.

It was kind of disappointing, really - usually I'd eat up every Lana album up at release and only begin to dislike some songs after a few weeks, or even months. But Chemtrails just didn't click.

That all changed in June. I decided to go on a trip to the USA in September 2021. Vaccination rates picked up fast in Europe and the US, and Delta still wasn't a thing at the time, so I figured the US must definitely open their borders to tourists by then. With all the lockdowns, online university which I hated and the general bad mood I was in, I was really excited!

I have only been to the West Coast once, I'm a NY/New England boy, so, why not? That way, I could cross Los Angeles off my "Places I have visited" list and I would have an incentive to pass my driving exam which was scheduled for July.

Yosemite was obviously also on my bucket list - I've been there back in 2010 when I was a kid and don't remember anything of it. I was a teenager and would've rather spent my time in a mall or whatever.

Now in true Lana stan fashion, I made a roadtrip playlist :toofunny: I listened to Yosemite and Wild at Heart extensively, imagining how I would drive up to Mulholland, from there on through the deserts of California and Nevada, eventually passing Sierra Nevada, headed to Yosemite valley and posting a cringy Instagram post captioned with Yosemite lyrics.

This made me listen to Chemtrails as an album a lot and I just realized how pretty it is.

I know some people think her lyrics nowadays are worse compared to BTD/Paradise, but with each repeated listen of the album, I got the same feeling I experienced when I first fell in love with Lana - she painted a vivid picture, and I felt like I was right there, in the middle of whatever situation she described. The lyrics were different, yet the same, if that makes sense.

With closed eyes, it felt as if it was me who was escaped Calabasas, as if I was working at a diner, as if I was standing on Glacier Point looking down Yosemite Valley.

In short, I fell in love with Chemtrails and its lowkey, stripped back sound, it was on 24/7 during the entirety of spring and summer. And things were looking good for my trip, vaccination speed picked up in Europe and the US and Delta wasn't a thing at the time. I then passed my driving exam, probably only because I was so determined to pass to have my license in time, so it was getting exciting!

Until it wasn't, and the US borders remained closed until November. So my trip didn't happen, and I had to postpone it to July 2022.

That was incredibly disappointing, but well, there was nothing I could do.

I kinda stopped listening to Chemtrails after that, since Blue Banisters was about to be released and my attention went to that album, but only for short cuz BB is my least favorite Lana album, so I picked COCC back up in November.

In the end, COCC was my very personal highlight of 2021. It got me through spring and the summer and then through the fall semester at uni, which was terrible in every aspect.

The only other Lana album I have as special of a connection with as COCC is Honeymoon - I love them both equally and I will fight everyone who calls them uninspired, bland, or boring.

With my trip to LA coming up in exactly 4 months, I started going through my itinerary again, changing it up a little and booking hotels and stuff, I've been streaming COCC like a madman once again. I'm at a lowpoint right now, not really sure if I am depressed and I can't wait for the summer & finally be done with uni and work and leave everything behind go on vacation and start a new chapter in my life, and Chemtrails is kind of the one thing that stands symbolically for all that.

Thanks for coming to my TED Talk. Stream COCC!

PS

Spoiler

Breaking Up Slowly can choke, the only song I don't like from COCC and one of the few songs by Lana I HATE

image.png

1 minute ago, Dominikx4 said:

my thoughts and personal relation with COCC (its mostly just me rambling but here it is anyway uhm)

Hide contents

Come for me if you want, but the most exciting part about pre-release eras, for me, is the wait for the leak. It's unpredictable - it could be a week before release, it could be a month, who knows. COCC leaked about 10 days prior to release, I believe. 

I remember rushing to find a link and eventually found one of these shady music download sites - those where you're note quite sure if the "Download" button is going to direct you to another website prompting you to install COCC.exe, or asking you to fill out a survey to access the content (sure, Jan).

Everyone on here was excited and waiting for someone to finally confirm whether the file was legit or not and... it was!

I was so excited, I hit play and listened to the entire album and... I was... whelmed.

At first listen, I liked Wild at Heart, Tulsa Jesus Freak and Dance Till We Die's bridge and absolutely loved Yosemite.

And that was about it.

It was kind of disappointing, really - usually I'd eat up every Lana album up at release and only begin to dislike some songs after a few weeks, or even months. But Chemtrails just didn't click.

That all changed in June. I decided to go on a trip to the USA in September 2021. Vaccination rates picked up fast in Europe and the US, and Delta still wasn't a thing at the time, so I figured the US must definitely open their borders to tourists by then. With all the lockdowns, online university which I hated and the general bad mood I was in, I was really excited!

I have only been to the West Coast once, I'm a NY/New England boy, so, why not? That way, I could cross Los Angeles off my "Places I have visited" list and I would have an incentive to pass my driving exam which was scheduled for July.

Yosemite was obviously also on my bucket list - I've been there back in 2010 when I was a kid and don't remember anything of it. I was a teenager and would've rather spent my time in a mall or whatever.

Now in true Lana stan fashion, I made a roadtrip playlist :toofunny: I listened to Yosemite and Wild at Heart extensively, imagining how I would drive up to Mulholland, from there on through the deserts of California and Nevada, eventually passing Sierra Nevada, headed to Yosemite valley and posting a cringy Instagram post captioned with Yosemite lyrics.

This made me listen to Chemtrails as an album a lot and I just realized how pretty it is.

I know some people think her lyrics nowadays are worse compared to BTD/Paradise, but with each repeated listen of the album, I got the same feeling I experienced when I first fell in love with Lana - she painted a vivid picture, and I felt like I was right there, in the middle of whatever situation she described. The lyrics were different, yet the same, if that makes sense.

With closed eyes, it felt as if it was me who was escaped Calabasas, as if I was working at a diner, as if I was standing on Glacier Point looking down Yosemite Valley.

In short, I fell in love with Chemtrails and its lowkey, stripped back sound, it was on 24/7 during the entirety of spring and summer. And things were looking good for my trip, vaccination speed picked up in Europe and the US and Delta wasn't a thing at the time. I then passed my driving exam, probably only because I was so determined to pass to have my license in time, so it was getting exciting!

Until it wasn't, and the US borders remained closed until November. So my trip didn't happen, and I had to postpone it to July 2022.

I kinda stopped listening to Chemtrails after that, since Blue Banisters was about to be released and my attention went to that album, but only for short cuz BB is my least favorite Lana album, so I picked COCC back up in November.

In the end, COCC was my very personal highlight of 2021. It got me through spring and the summer and then through the fall semester at uni, which was terrible in every aspect.

The only other Lana album I have as special of a connection with as COCC is Honeymoon - I love them both equally and I will fight everyone who calls them uninspired, bland, or boring.

With my trip to LA coming up in exactly 4 months, I started going through my itinerary again, changing it up a little and booking hotels and stuff, I've been streaming COCC like a madman once again. I'm at a lowpoint right now, not really sure if I am depressed and I can't wait for the summer & finally be done with uni and work and leave everything behind go on vacation and start a new chapter in my life, and Chemtrails is kind of the one thing that stands symbolically for all that.

i swear you start to love an album more after you travel with it. the day after solar power released i went on this trip to like this national park. it was a 4 hour drive to get there and i just kept listening to sp, and i felt so connected to it. i was surrounded by nature and really realised how beautiful the album is, and now whenever i listen it takes me back to that time

Just now, BartenderDeco said:

i swear you start to love an album more after you travel with it. the day after solar power released i went on this trip to like this national park. it was a 4 hour drive to get there and i just kept listening to sp, and i felt so connected to it. i was surrounded by nature and really realised how beautiful the album is, and now whenever i listen it takes me back to that time

yes! i believe i have said something similar in either the BB or COCC pre-release thread - that I was sad I couldnt make any memories with these albums as I could with the rest of her discography since I started stanning. I don't think I'd be as excited as I am for my vacation if it wasnt for COCC lmao

image.png

On 2/27/2022 at 11:53 PM, Dominikx4 said:

yes! i believe i have said something similar in either the BB or COCC pre-release thread - that I was sad I couldnt make any memories with these albums as I could with the rest of her discography since I started stanning. I don't think I'd be as excited as I am for my vacation if it wasnt for COCC lmao

i haven’t really made any memories with lana’s albums, except when i went to this island on my bday and i listened to nfr. but that ended up being a shitty day because i lost the 3rd pair of airpods i bought in the bottom of the ocean, so that memory was destroyed 

but one time i got high by the beach while listening to high by the beach. amazing moment

25 minutes ago, Dominikx4 said:

Hide contents

And that was about it.

PS

Hide contents

Breaking Up Slowly can choke, the only song I don't like from COCC and one of the few songs by Lana I HATE

Spoiler

this read was such a rollercoaster :excited: I was rooting for you getting your license in time and roadtripping the us with cocc in the background, mainly because i was thinking of doing the same thing this summer while going through lana’s discography, until you mentioned the us borders were still closed. I hope you get to have your vacation in time this year. :kiss: Booking hotels and fixing the itinerary can be so exciting ughhhhh  

2 hours ago, House of Balloons said:
  Hide contents

this read was such a rollercoaster :excited: I was rooting for you getting your license in time and roadtripping the us with cocc in the background, mainly because i was thinking of doing the same thing this summer while going through lana’s discography, until you mentioned the us borders were still closed. I hope you get to have your vacation in time this year. :kiss: Booking hotels and fixing the itinerary can be so exciting ughhhhh  

awww thanks, im 99% certain i can go this summer, so fingers crossed! hope you get to do the same soon too, then :creep:

image.png

Happy Birthday Chemtrails Over The Country Club :party::kiss: I can't believe it's turning one year old today. This album truly has a special place in my heart & I love it so so much :wowcry: Also Happy Birthday to Yosemite,  such a special song in her discography & after all the years of waiting for it we got it finally officially released one year ago:oprah:

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

On 3/3/2022 at 2:43 PM, That Venice Bitch said:

Stoned out of my mind listening to White Dress 

I am Elevating. Wow

idk but whenever i’m stoned and listen to a lana song i can literally hear the production so well, like every single sound effect and i can never hear lana singing. it’s like listening to the instrumental

Happy first birthday, Chemtrails! :party: Such an incredible album that's gotten paid absolute dust. It's so soft and atmospheric, and it really does feel like a story album. Somehow, despite only being a year old, I find Chemtrails to be a nostalgic album for me. My top three has of right now would be Yosemite, Chemtrails and Dark But Just A Game, with White Dress and Dance Til We Die following in 4th and 5th. I just love this album so much :xcry:

imageproxy.jpg

2 minutes ago, Super Movie said:

Happy first birthday, Chemtrails! :party:

lmao i forgot :bebe:

i'm glad chemtrails exists cause we have the holy trinity of white dress + title track + tjf plus the wonderful song dark but just a game and the release of yosemite

i still think jack needs to be locked back in the basement though

5oDY3ok.gif ZLI8w1N.png 5oDY3ok.gif

chem is pretty underrated and underappreciated. there are some real highlights like white dress, wah, and yosemite. i'll have to admit, i've not gave her love as much as i should. and i tend to skip the collabs but it's such a cohesive and sweet record. and it gave us one of her best music videos w the title track. :wub:

plus the pre-release era was iconic and fun with you all. :wink:

55-DE2-A0-B-B97-D-4347-B872-77-FA28787-E

miss born to lose

Happy COCCiversary! 

There is a certain feeling you get from those first notes of White Dress which carry through the whole album. Warm, introspective, wistful, earthy, grounded, heart. I listen to it when I am in that space or want to be in that space. It's fantastic for walks, or drives, or hot baths.

COCC holds the weight of when it was made and released, but is also a fantasy escape from those times. It feels as much of a dream environment as Honeymoon does, and the two albums feel like sisters, stretching out just as far, only in a different direction, if that makes any sense. 

WD and the title track are a part of my soul. And then there's Yosemite, which for me debuted at the top of the discography and I've been paying it giant sacks of gold ever since. It's nuts because Yosemite doesn't really belong here and the album is probably more cohesive without it, but I don't care. It's my song to my best friend and I could listen to it 1000 times.

:crai:

Happy first birthday to Chemtrails Over the Country Club! I love this record so much, it feels like home. :wub: Everything about it is special to me, from the surrounding joy of coming onto LB to discuss the record everyday in 2020, to the actual music itself. To me, this album is emblematic of longing for a life of sentimentality and domestic bliss while appreciating the beauty in the simplicity, and for that reason, it’s such a hallmark record. <3