Elle

Blue Banisters - Pre-Pre-Release Thread

6 minutes ago, Vertimus said:

Obviously, I disagree with all of that---I don't see things through a Marxist lens, or a materialistic "You have more, I have less" framework, because that is the way of the world, where everything is literally, naturally unequal, in the sense that nothing is identical except perhaps on a subatomic level (I'll leave that to the physicists). Share with us what you have found to be 'equal' in life outside of a humanistic philosophical position? 

I don't see in any politics in 'Not all Who Wander Are Lost'--as we know, people of all frameworks, backgrounds and types have 'gotten the urge to wander,' like many soon-to-be hippies did in 1960s America, and most were lower middle class at best. People have gotten the 'urge to wander' since the dawn of recorded time, prepared or unprepared, well supplied or, more likely, just taking their chances at fate. Look at Jack Kerouac and the Beats. 

What is political about 'Yosemite'? The framework of their relationship, which the narrator finds liberating? Where are the politics in 'Dance Till We Die'? Do you envy LDR the time she spends dancing in bars and nightclubs on occasion? Hopefully, many of us find the time for such release, whatever that release is. Do you hold it against her, when we know how hard she works, how prolific she is, how much time she spends on her craft? Where are the politics in 'Wild At Heart'? 

There are slight political angles to 'White Dress,' but it's a coming-of-age story, and a happy one (And I felt seen"). All coming-of-age stories are hard, by nature. It's one's first testing of one's self in the outer world. She's recalling one of her first jobs as a waitress--don't most of us start out at difficult or unpleasant jobs, where we may be harrassed or bullied as newcomers who are green behind the ears or impressionable? She moves from realizing she can handle the waitress job ("'look how I got this') to succeeding at the 'men's music convention,' where she also 'gets it.' It's a success story. 

What's political about 'Dark But Just A Game,' a look at music industry, contemporary Los Angeles decadence? 

LDR worked very hard, for years, and took a lot of flack, to get the multiple homes she owns, the money she's accrued, her jewels, her 'little red sports car' and other aspects of the life she's living. I certainly do not begrudge her for it. Most of the time, 'the people who own the mansion on the hill' have worked hard for decades, made sacrifices of all kinds, tightly disciplined themselves, taken on debt, gambled a little and have luckily managed to succeed. As Camille Paglia says, in life, for every one who succeeds, 100 fail. I would put those odds at closer to 500 to 1. There's no guarantees, as many of us know already. 

I guess you can choose which analytical paradigm suits the best to your views (as they exist precisely to enable people to look at the world in a way that makes it meaningful for them), but what you called the "marxist lens" or "materialistic framework" isn't something that's reductible to "you have more, I have less", but a whole complex scientific artifact that's used by all the centers of power worldwide to design how resources are distributed and regarding which interests the distribution is made. This isn't a left-wing discourse tick, as you seem to perceive it, but a whole perspective that's been developing for centuries and that shapes the very root of the choices that are made by the highest level institutions (which aren't precisely suspicious of being left wing, but who know how much inequality -socioeconomical, tangible one, no one's discussing epistemology or metaphysics here when discussing inequality-  is the result of political decisions and how to take advantage of it).

COTCC develops a very situated narrative that's (as any narrative given) determined by the place Lana exists in in the world, and that happens to be a very privileged one, no matter how much she may have worked. 99% of the world works on a higher, harder basis and conditions than Lana does and they don't get to live the privileged way Lana does. This isn't, of course, Lana's fault or something to blame her for, as she isn't making the choices that make the terrible inequality we live in to happen, but that doesnt mean she isn't absolutely at a privileged place in many, many levels, and that it affects the way she looks at the world and what she has to tell about it.  COTCC being political (as any cultural expression is, willingly or not -as a manifestation of a specific way to approach to the world, with a concrete value- system behind it-) doesnt require for it to talk about World Bank or Christine Lagarde, politics don't resume to institutional politics. The fact that her position in the world allows her to make a living from depicting her life experiences with fame, wealth, gender inequality, episodes of relative poverty or the perks and bads of living in an environment of as privileged people as her speaks itself about how social conflict exists, and how the world is seen from the minoritary portion of people who gets to benefit from the current state of that conflict. 

Anyway, my point here isn't (nor it was in my first post to which you answered) to set Lana as responsible for the social disfunctionalities and injustices that happen to divide the world, but to highlight how her artistic production, as every other artist's, comes from a very concrete place and therefore speaks about certain things that arent just available for the majority of the people, as art isn't isolated from the political and organizative contexts it's produced in and tends to reproduce the features of those contexts itself.

it's happening 

When you agree with both points of view and don't know which side to choose...

I agree with COCC being apolitical, but it can be extremely political if you're used to seeing the world through this lens. Even breathing can be political if you have this point of view.

The fact that Lana is privileged should never be used against her unless it is to complain that she has enough access to education and still refuses to educate herself. Money or safety should never be used as an excuse for ignorance and even less to silence someone about those subjects 

7 hours ago, not all who wander r lost said:

I hope Lana doesn't make it political and takes notes from her "jab at critics" bangers from Ultraviolence 

This! Honestly, I am so hoping for a track that mirrors the sarcastic quips in Money Power Glory. 

I remember reading about how Lana knew MPG would be taken literally and that she was almost resigned with the assumptions that would be made despite it being very pointed and sardonic. 

It's interesting how this point in her career is almost reminiscent of the Ultraviolence era through the critics' accusations of her alleged inauthenticity and blatant apathy. I would argue that Rock Candy Sweet is just as deceiving of a title as MPG, and I'm really intrigued to see if she purposely picks a deceptively "sweet-sounding" soundscape or if she'll go full force with production that highlights the bitterness she's felt recently. 

“…and this is all I looked for all my life – to be able to give of my love, my spontaneous joy, unreservedly, with no fear of…misuse, betrayal.”
Sylvia Plath 

12 minutes ago, BluebirdXO said:

When you agree with both points of view and don't know which side to choose...

I agree with COCC being apolitical, but it can be extremely political if you're used to seeing the world through this lens. Even breathing can be political if you have this point of view.

The fact that Lana is privileged should never be used against her unless it is to complain that she has enough access to education and still refuses to educate herself. Money or safety should never be used as an excuse for ignorance and even less to silence someone about those subjects 

Couldnt agree more here. She happened to come to the world in a specific context that ended up leading for her to live a privileged life, but that's just a fact and noticing it doesnt mean blaming her for it or whatever. Nobody should blame someone for being born in a deprived environment either (even if many, many people in fact blame socially vulnerable people for being vulnerable but that's another issue). But yes, she definetly could have used all the resources she has at disposition to grow a wider perspective regarding the position she's in, and she's definetly not done it yet. Truly hope she does someday.

And definetly everything can be analysed from a political standpoint. I think that it is quite necessary when what it's at stake is not watching contingent inequalities as natural, as naturalising them makes even harder to notice and try to overcome them!

4 minutes ago, PatentLeatherDoOver said:

This! Honestly, I am so hoping for a track that mirrors the sarcastic quips in Money Power Glory. 

I remember reading about how Lana knew MPG would be taken literally and that she was almost resigned with the assumptions that would be made despite it being very pointed and sardonic. 

It's interesting how this point in her career is almost reminiscent of the Ultraviolence era through the critics' accusations of her alleged inauthenticity and blatant apathy. I would argue that Rock Candy Sweet is just as deceiving of a title as MPG, and I'm really intrigued to see if she purposely picks a deceptively "sweet-sounding" soundscape or if she'll go full force with production that highlights the bitterness she's felt recently. 

something reminiscent of "money power glory" in general would be amazing, it's one of my favorites off of ultraviolence, i love the sarcastic, cathartic feel of it :flutter: 

#lana del rey from NFR!  #lana del rey from NFR!  #lana del rey from NFR!

Getting mad at someone for being privileged is crazy only because we should be working to make more people privileged (like getting rid of poverty/racism). The ideal world is one where everyone has these things not no one. But you can definitely get mad at someone for not acknowledging their privilege or not using it to help others. 

2 hours ago, salvatore said:

it's happening 

pretty sure a couple days after you said that last time she posted the BB pic :defeated:

maybe she’ll post again this weekend 

"Don’t forget me"

It's not a cover people talk about very often, but I would love vocals like she did on summertime. They're super strong and she sounds incredible on that track, so to hear more vocal delivery like that from her on this album would be a dream :hype:

imageproxy.jpg

3 hours ago, The Greatest said:

Omg not y’all writing novels about political theory. Obviously I’m not reading that. But I’m happy for you. Or sorry that happened. 

this is an evergreen response to the pages of nonsense that goes on here at lbz

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/59/40/90/5940903240da03ab6f8c1a9c79a31773.jpg

She needs to give us Cola’s sexy MILF older sister song and really tell us some more about her pussy. 

let us know that there’s some WHORES in this COUNTRY CLUB

tenor.gif?itemid=9308137

let's be real, all you bitches wanna look like me