Elle

Blue Banisters - Pre-Pre-Release Thread

5 minutes ago, anwdelrey said:

Neil's Chemtrails shoot was horrendous idk why y'all want him back.

It wasn't my fave either but in his defense we only got like 10 photos of Lana (in like 2 sets) and also he's the man that did the photoshoots for UV, HM and LFL (and countless magazine shoots) so he's still an icon to me. Just because his last work wasn't that amazing (subjectively and compared to his other work) doesn't mean that he can't deliver anymore. I'd be happy if he came back for BB. 
For me Neil is in the same category as Rick and Emile, they just work so well with Lana and get the best of her :crying4:

giphy.gif

9 minutes ago, anwdelrey said:

Chuck's covers kind of serve though. HM, Lust for Life, NFR... 

No hate to miss chunk but HM and LFL had flawless photshoots by Neil and ended up having the worst covers :icant:. Chuck's early shoots with Lana were so good tho (the Lizzy Grant days, the music videos' bts, the one in the beach with the leather jacket...). She's not bad at all but I'm a Neil stan sorry :gasp:

giphy.gif

Personally I think Dolby Atmos Spatial Audio thingy sounds really shitty and poorly mixed with some kind of augmented surround sound feeling to it. It feels gimmicky and the original masters are far better and higher quality. I don’t think anyone that's really serious into audio likes it tbh, its more of a cool "consumer" feature. But maybe it'll get better with time. I haven't found any Lana song that sounds better or at least as good as the original mixes.

Lossless audio too is useless for people listening via bluetooth like AirPods. But for people that listen via professional equipment its quite a change and I love it!

On 6/3/2021 at 4:15 AM, SharktoothBlues said:

Interested to hear what you think that would say and see if I'm thinking the same:)

about my prev comment, I'm basically getting to the core and thinking no matter what your idea of home is, u have to keep going, because ends and beginnings can sometimes mean the same thing. 

UV/Honeymoon

2 hours ago, anwdelrey said:

Chuck's covers kind of serve though. HM, Lust for Life, NFR... 

I thought someone else did HM but maybe I hallucinated

Also LFL is a cute picture of ha but it's not exactly outstanding photography

The thing about Chunk's photography is that anyone with a basic photography skills could take most of the photos she takes of Lana. She seems nice enough and I'm not trying to drag but she doesn't really have a signature style. Like, you can usually look at a pic that Neil, Steven or that Photoshopping woman (Laura? Idk) took and tell that they took it, but with Chunk there's no signature style. Or her style IS that there is no signature style. So imo it's just quite dull because you can tell she's just doing exactly what Lana told her to do (ie: "take a picture of me standing in front of this truck").

I personally think she does herself a disservice working with Lana and should try to branch out more but it's her career so whatever.

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

17 hours ago, shady said:

Lmao I noticed that Elton John loves to talk about new pop stars (definitely not his pattern to collab with Lana but doing that in 2012 would look like him). When I saw him comment about Billie Elish and how he's a fan I was like "Boy, are you trying to attract Gen Z to buy your vinyl records?". What can a man in his 70s feel when listening lofi pop songs written by a 18 year old. I don't think he's creepy but rather that he wants to be semi relevant with the new generation who loves old music more than ever. Nothing wrong with hyping your favorite artist but I don't see Madonna or other artist with a huge legacy praising every new artist that has a similar vibe. 

Elton has made a habit of always buying the newest released albums and giving them all a critical listen - partly so he can stay abreast of what's current, but also because whenever he hears something unique and interesting, he literally calls the artist up himself on the telephone to compliment them on their music. He has nothing to prove musically anymore. He's been outrageous and controversial. He's done various genres and worked with a bunch of big names from the pop to rock and blues to musical theatre genres. He has nothing to gain from remaining on the pulse of the newest music, but he likes to give credit where credit's due and a phone call from one of the big names in music lends more than a hint of credence to an upcoming artist's music.

Listening to Honeymoon today, I couldn't help but think that it was the sort of album she should have been releasing at this point in her career. Most of the tracks have a more mature feel to them that really wouldn't be out of sync with an artist in her later years. Plus, just hearing the opening line "We both know, that it's not fashionable to love me" would just be such an appropriate message right now.

1 hour ago, Red Dress said:

Listening to Honeymoon today, I couldn't help but think that it was the sort of album she should have been releasing at this point in her career. Most of the tracks have a more mature feel to them that really wouldn't be out of sync with an artist in her later years. Plus, just hearing the opening line "We both know, that it's not fashionable to love me" would just be such an appropriate message right now.

I wonder if Blue Banisters will compare to her magnum opus that is Honeymoon

2 hours ago, Red Dress said:

how it didn’t win a grammy is beyond me really

tumblr_inline_nojcj6qe1j1s5i2my_400.gif gmgif.gif morrissey-flowers.gif

5 hours ago, Venice Peach said:

It wasn't my fave either but in his defense we only got like 10 photos of Lana (in like 2 sets) and also he's the man that did the photoshoots for UV, HM and LFL (and countless magazine shoots) so he's still an icon to me. Just because his last work wasn't that amazing (subjectively and compared to his other work) doesn't mean that he can't deliver anymore. I'd be happy if he came back for BB. 
For me Neil is in the same category as Rick and Emile, they just work so well with Lana and get the best of her :crying4:

The Chemtrails era photos Neil took weren't awful. There was something off. I didn't like what Lana was wearing or the hairstyle/color. I wonder if different hair/style/clothes could have made it all better. I love the way Chuck, Weyes and Zella came out in those Neil's pics. It's weird.

Upbeat lead single (similar to FMWUTTT or HBTB). MV directed by Colin Tilley. Album trailer also directed by him. Album cover by Nadia Lee. Lead single produced by Jack Antonoff with additional synths by Mike Dean and strings by Dan Heath.

You may say I’m a dreamer…

4 hours ago, Rorman Nockwell said:

I thought someone else did HM but maybe I hallucinated

Also LFL is a cute picture of ha but it's not exactly outstanding photography

The thing about Chunk's photography is that anyone with a basic photography skills could take most of the photos she takes of Lana. She seems nice enough and I'm not trying to drag but she doesn't really have a signature style. Like, you can usually look at a pic that Neil, Steven or that Photoshopping woman (Laura? Idk) took and tell that they took it, but with Chunk there's no signature style. Or her style IS that there is no signature style. So imo it's just quite dull because you can tell she's just doing exactly what Lana told her to do (ie: "take a picture of me standing in front of this truck").

I personally think she does herself a disservice working with Lana and should try to branch out more but it's her career so whatever.

I think Chuck's photography is great and that she has clear artistic and aesthetic vision but what's most interesting about her photography is probably her connections and the photo's subject (i.e. http://www.yourgirlchuck.com/#/cat-marnell/ and others in http://www.yourgirlchuck.com/pleasure). I love her photos with LDR simply BECAUSE of her intimacy and closeness with Lana, and their history living together in New York when Lana was a small-time singer and Chuck undoubtedly helped to capture and realise Lana's vision. I always find it interesting how different photographers approach their subject and it's great to see Lana shot by many different great people like Neil but Chuck's perspective will always be really fascinating to me (whatever the end product is! simply because it is a product of both sisters working together in their own special way) 

mUENGN9.png

1 hour ago, Obduration said:

3 songs in and I can already tell it won't... Honeymoon had a few weak songs, but they were still more powerful than the last songs released, sadly

But if she releases a long ass album with +13 tracks, then we might be able to fairly compare :dua:

My rose garden dreams set on fire by fiends... :illumilana2: 

44 minutes ago, anwdelrey said:

Upbeat lead single (similar to FMWUTTT or HBTB). MV directed by Colin Tilley. Album trailer also directed by him. Album cover by Nadia Lee. Lead single produced by Jack Antonoff with additional synths by Mike Dean and strings by Dan Heath.

You may say I’m a dreamer…

it'll be reality :wub:

10 minutes ago, Cloud Shrouded said:

I think Chuck's photography is great and that she has clear artistic and aesthetic vision but what's most interesting about her photography is probably her connections and the photo's subject (i.e. http://www.yourgirlchuck.com/#/cat-marnell/ and others in http://www.yourgirlchuck.com/pleasure). I love her photos with LDR simply BECAUSE of her intimacy and closeness with Lana, and their history living together in New York when Lana was a small-time singer and Chuck undoubtedly helped to capture and realise Lana's vision. I always find it interesting how different photographers approach their subject and it's great to see Lana shot by many different great people like Neil but Chuck's perspective will always be really fascinating to me (whatever the end product is! simply because it is a product of both sisters working together in their own special way) 

My last post sounded pretty harsh. I think Chunk is talented and I completely understand why they'd work together but I feel like they almost stifle each other's creative development. If anything, the very early photos Chunk took of Lana are the best ones so it's like where is the progression

Idk 

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

2 hours ago, Obduration said:

i fear nothing will ever top that album. and the fact people still pay it dust to this day when if she released it today everyone would be so happy. like it has EVERYTHING we’re currently asking for: bops, psychedelia, synths, bass, REAL (and perfectly mixed) non-crackling drums, a beautiful aesthetic, 2 mesmerizing high budget clips (her shooting down the paparazzi with a massive gun would just be SO iconic at this point in her career), a small intimate tour, the hot summer vibe we’ve all been manifesting…like everything would just fit perfectly i don’t see how anyone could complain about it nowadays :crying2: