Elle

Blue Banisters - Pre-Pre-Release Thread

what's this tori atmos thing ya'll speak of? i never heard of it until the other day, is it something new that was just randomly announced?

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

56 minutes ago, Future Jazz said:

i like the BLM line, and there's nothing wrong with it. it makes sense in the context of the song, as it epitomises the personal and generational distance established between her and her father. it is sung sweetly over a beautiful melody and instrumental.

of all the race-related things she could've come up with, given the fact that this was supposed to be a revenge album defending her position in question for the culture, she just offered a line in which she says black lives matter. it shows that what she considers to be excesses in 'wokism' do not prevent her from supporting the cause - here, the furtherance of Black people's rights. this is a controversial opinion in America, this has probably got her cancelled among many Republicans. and this line goes to show that despite her clumsy comments, she is on the good side of this fight. i honestly don't understand why on earth it would be cringeworthy. and as another member pointed out a few weeks ago, this song is going to get thousands of people to sing black lives matter, and this is powerful, and this is helpful.

it just seems very forced and fake white woman woke, whether it really is or not it just seems forced which therefor makes it cringe even tho the message underneath is a good one. 

7 minutes ago, Terrence Loves Me said:

what's this tori atmos thing ya'll speak of? i never heard of it until the other day, is it something new that was just randomly announced?

it’s a new feature on some apple music albums. it’s supposed to be a more immersive sound experience as if you were in a film theater. like the sound’s a bit "moving around you" and the different instruments/layers feel more separated so you can notice small elements you didn’t before. it does change the mixing of some songs so they have to perfect it. like the bad romance dolby version completely took out some of gaga’s backing vocals which defeats the whole purpose of the song. freak in dolby atmos would definitely cut out the "take it to the back if you wanna talk" and the high notes so i hope they’ll perfect the feature in the future. but i do think this feature will do amazing in the coming years cause now artists can mix the music with the feature in mind which will open a whole new world to how the musical elements are placed and mixed in a song.

2 minutes ago, lanasbottom said:

it’s a new feature on some apple music albums. it’s supposed to be a more immersive sound experience as if you were in a film theater. like the sound’s a bit "moving around you" and the different instruments/layers feel more separated so you can notice small elements you didn’t before. it does change the mixing of some songs so they have to perfect it. like the bad romance dolby version completely took out some of gaga’s backing vocals which defeats the whole purpose of the song. freak in dolby atmos would definitely cut out the "take it to the back if you wanna talk" and the high notes so i hope they’ll perfect the feature in the future. but i do think this feature will do amazing in the coming years cause now artists can mix the music with the feature in mind which will open a whole new world to how the musical elements are placed and mixed in a song.

oooh thank you! that's weird that it sort of tampers with the songs production though, must be annoying for the producers who worked on them

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

i like these songs. i still listen to them about every other day. theyre very personal and beautiful and relatable to me. however, i understand the “its nothing new” conversation because its really not... lana’s whole career was switching up her sound and look every era to give something new and fresh and it almost seems like she’s run out of directions to turn. i wouldnt mind if she revisited sounds like honeymoon or ultraviolence but she seems like shes channeling the most boring sound in her discography. i also think if chemtrails was never released and this was a follow up to NFR/VBBOTG then they would make a lot more sense and i even think we would love them a lot more. chemtrails really fucked up the flow of her discography BECAUSE she knew it wasnt her best work but she wanted to release it anyway. it was kinda filler to her. idk... i just hope her discography gets back on track with this album. i’ll listen to and enjoy anything she releases but it just seems like nothing will compare to the UV and HM days. 

I don't think that Lana wants to attract new listeners, that's why she's not filtering or perfecting her latest songs.

She knows she has a huge fanbase that buys everything that she puts out and she wants to tell her story. I have a feeling that this whole album will be like diary entries and that she will be praised for being real

10 hours ago, Rorman Nockwell said:

I thought someone else did HM but maybe I hallucinated

Also LFL is a cute picture of ha but it's not exactly outstanding photography

The thing about Chunk's photography is that anyone with a basic photography skills could take most of the photos she takes of Lana. She seems nice enough and I'm not trying to drag but she doesn't really have a signature style. Like, you can usually look at a pic that Neil, Steven or that Photoshopping woman (Laura? Idk) took and tell that they took it, but with Chunk there's no signature style. Or her style IS that there is no signature style. So imo it's just quite dull because you can tell she's just doing exactly what Lana told her to do (ie: "take a picture of me standing in front of this truck").

I personally think she does herself a disservice working with Lana and should try to branch out more but it's her career so whatever.

"That photoshopping woman" I'm fucking crying :thumb3::thumb3::thumb3: Nicole Nodland right?

5 hours ago, anwdelrey said:

Upbeat lead single (similar to FMWUTTT or HBTB). MV directed by Colin Tilley. Album trailer also directed by him. Album cover by Nadia Lee. Lead single produced by Jack Antonoff with additional synths by Mike Dean and strings by Dan Heath.

You may say I’m a dreamer…

This post reads like insider info and I almost had a heart attack :shh2::icant:

giphy.gif

27 minutes ago, lanasbottom said:

it just seems very forced and fake white woman woke, whether it really is or not it just seems forced which therefor makes it cringe even tho the message underneath is a good one.

why do you think it feels forced? it's not like she's hammering the point home or saying it throughout the whole song. she says it only twice, and not even in such a random way, as the reference to old man river and the people she screams for prolong it

to me, although QFTC and the aftermath of it were disastrous, the one thing they did show is that Lana is an honest person. she won't lie about her position on those topics, even though she doesn't always think the way woke people do, even though she's going to be criticised for it. so she's transparent as to her thoughts on those topics, and although this comes at the price at having to read through her clumsy, somewhat self-absorbed bits of commentary, i like feeling that she's not lying to us (although she is, on a more musical, release-wise level lmao). she's not afraid to sort of make a fool of herself during a BBC interview, so i don't think anything she says on race topics is fake.

and, that's not against you, but i don't think being a 'white woman' should be any ground for criticism, or a reason for giving someone less credit. just because something is said by a white woman doesn't make it any less relevant.

2 hours ago, Rorman Nockwell said:

This will probably be incoherent as fuck but I'm bored in bed after lots of painkillers, so

We've had a few weeks to digest these three singles now, and I think the reason why I can't get on board is because they don't bring anything new to the table for the listener. I understand that these are about things she obviously wanted to get off her chest, but if I were a new listener I don't think I'd find them the least bit interesting because sonically they don't go anywhere and the lyrics are only interesting because we are stans and we have some context for what she's singing about.

Maybe I'm wrong af but I can't imagine someone who's new to Lana listening to these and being captivated by them. As a stan I can't see that they add anything new or original to her discography iykwim. Idk who the audience is supposed to be and I'm still confused as to what her reason for releasing these was, especially with the lack of promotion. It's like she has all of these wonderful unreleased songs (well, I THINK some of them are wonderful ... maybe one day we'll find out) but she leaves all of those on her laptop and gives us these, which are really glorified diary entries.

I'm not trying to sound mean or anything I just don't get it I guess? I can't imagine her ever singing these live because they're so personal and they feel like a once-of thing rather than something she'd revisit. Considering she pretends that Honeymoon doesn't exist I just cannot see her wanting to perform a song about her father's wife abusing her and ending up in the hospital on lithium, but maybe she'll surprise us

well in case you hadnt noticed yet she doesnt want to be in the spotlight/mainstream anymore, she doesnt even want the fame. she has been singing about this theme since what? honeymoon i think with song like religion, HBTB, 13 beaches, bartender and she made it apparent on COCC.

she said it herself that she made songs for herself thats why the lyrics are so prolific, the reason she released it probably just because she just want to share it with her fans thus why she doesnt need to promote things

I'm keeping my hopes high for the album but the best produced track out of the three is God Book

and I hope we get more of Zach Dawes and Dealer :excited:

Anyways I'm sure the album after BB is gonna explore a new soundscape since she's working with Mike Dean (and yes I know some are disappointed with WW but keep in mind that he didn't do much work on BB anyways and Lana probs told her what she was looking for) but yes besties let's hope we get news soon :wub:

1 hour ago, Terrence Loves Me said:

oooh thank you! that's weird that it sort of tampers with the songs production though, must be annoying for the producers who worked on them

i tried some or ariana’s songs cause the song list is still pretty short for now and the effect literally cancelled out all of her high notes on dangerous woman or into you :scoff: imagine recording all that to have it deleted 5 years later :stareney:

1 hour ago, Future Jazz said:

why do you think it feels forced? it's not like she's hammering the point home or saying it throughout the whole song. she says it only twice, and not even in such a random way, as the reference to old man river and the people she screams for prolong it

to me, although QFTC and the aftermath of it were disastrous, the one thing they did show is that Lana is an honest person. she won't lie about her position on those topics, even though she doesn't always think the way woke people do, even though she's going to be criticised for it. so she's transparent as to her thoughts on those topics, and although this comes at the price at having to read through her clumsy, somewhat self-absorbed bits of commentary, i like feeling that she's not lying to us (although she is, on a more musical, release-wise level lmao). she's not afraid to sort of make a fool of herself during a BBC interview, so i don't think anything she says on race topics is fake.

and, that's not against you, but i don't think being a 'white woman' should be any ground for criticism, or a reason for giving someone less credit. just because something is said by a white woman doesn't make it any less relevant.

i feel like it feels forced cause it’s not a theme she ever spoke about in her music and after the whole ‘i’m not racist i dated rappers’ and qftc it just feels as i said forced. as in "look i mention blm see i’m not racist". i do agree with you that lana’s a very (sometimes TOO) honest person and we love that about her and ofc i know she has a good intention behind the lyric. the timing just seemed off. and i don’t mean white woman as in it’s bad to be a white woman (??) but in the sense that it does come across as very white savior-ish. i may ofc be a bit biased, lana’s music was always this otherworldly realm to escape to. it’s her art and she can and should sing about whatever she wants but i hate being reminded of real world problems in places i couldn’t care less to have them mentioned.  i’ll watch a news channel if i want that  :scoff: 

same thing with covid (looking at you grenadine quarantine stans:smh:) i’d hate hate hate if she mentioned the pandemic in her music, same way i hate and don’t watch any series/film where people wear masks and talk about covid. just this one hour of escaping this cruel world please :bebe:

The disconnection between artist-art/artist-fame/artist-fan that's been going on for years now it's getting deeper. I understand why everyone's worried, the "Lana might quit" theory is getting stronger :eartha2:

I, obviously, don't think she's going to quit, but she does seem tired and it's understandable. I feel she could disappear one day, but still come back some now and then to release new music, but it's going to be very low-key :eartha2:

She does deserve a break, so I wouldn't be upset. I would miss her, but we have plenty of songs already, and if disappearing for awhile, makes her return stronger than ever... I'll take it over the mess she's been releasing for the past year now :toofunny:

My rose garden dreams set on fire by fiends... :illumilana2: 

2 hours ago, Terrence Loves Me said:

tori atmos thing

I'm wheezing bestie you have no business in being this funny. But you are and I honour you for that :angie:

eb8fcf3e43206e82abf83c9c01bfcf26.gif

14 minutes ago, plastiscguy said:

The disconnection between artist-art/artist-fame/artist-fan that's been going on for years now it's getting deeper. I understand why everyone's worried, the "Lana might quit" theory is getting stronger :eartha2:

I, obviously, don't think she's going to quit, but she does seem tired and it's understandable. I feel she could disappear one day, but still come back some now and then to release new music, but it's going to be very low-key :eartha2:

She does deserve a break, so I wouldn't be upset. I would miss her, but we have plenty of songs already, and if disappearing for awhile, makes her return stronger than ever... I'll take it over the mess she's been releasing for the past year now :toofunny:

tbh same…. one of my biggest fears surrounding lana was her quitting one day. yet she never did. but us being more and more fed up with her, her being more and more fed up with us and the media, locals literally hating her for breathing…. i think it’s clear she somewhat…lost something. idk if it’s still her writers block, lack of inspo, the pandemic or whatever but i think it’s time to admit it really hasn’t been the same since nfr/cocc. i mean just look at her behavior she literally hates us or at least it really seems like it. there was a time not long ago where she would do monthly live streams, add and talk to us on insta or twitter, sharing whatever funny or cute thing she had in mind with us, her fans who she loved. and now? when was the last time she talked to someone on twitter without telling them to go fuck themselves? now we don’t even get a “new songs out check them out". it just shows her behavior has been very different. i think it’s better for her to take a few years off to come back better than ever than just releasing random piano ballads until the last person on earth has bullied her off social media and leaves her with her whole legacy ruined (or stained). i feel like her last straw will soon been pulled and well… there’s not much we can do about that now can we?  :bebe:

19 minutes ago, lanasbottom said:

tbh same…. one of my biggest fears surrounding lana was her quitting one day. yet she never did. but us being more and more fed up with her, her being more and more fed up with us and the media, locals literally hating her for breathing…. i think it’s clear she somewhat…lost something. idk if it’s still her writers block, lack of inspo, the pandemic or whatever but i think it’s time to admit it really hasn’t been the same since nfr/cocc. i mean just look at her behavior she literally hates us or at least it really seems like it. there was a time not long ago where she would do monthly live streams, add and talk to us on insta or twitter, sharing whatever funny or cute thing she had in mind with us, her fans who she loved. and now? when was the last time she talked to someone on twitter without telling them to go fuck themselves? now we don’t even get a “new songs out check them out". it just shows her behavior has been very different. i think it’s better for her to take a few years off to come back better than ever than just releasing random piano ballads until the last person on earth has bullied her off social media and leaves her with her whole legacy ruined (or stained). i feel like her last straw will soon been pulled and well… there’s not much we can do about that now can we?  :bebe:

It's mostly our fault, too, to be fair :toofunny:

Stan culture is pretty toxic, and some of us seem to forget Lana is a human being with feelings too. We tell jokes, because people laugh at them, but they can very offensive and we might not notice sometimes. We are also pretty entitled, sometimes even demanding.

And tho, it's true, Lana wouldn't be where she is without her fans, it's not like we own her. She receives a lot of hate, and most of it from the people that are supposed to support her. 

And I get it, she's not the easiest person to deal with, but it's not like we MUST engage with everything she does/say. It happens a lot with other artists, where fans think they're friends with their faves, and feel like they owe them :toofunny:

If Lana ever addressed it, even though she doesn't need to, it would be great. We need some boundaries.

And I say "we", because even though I'm not the worst fan out there, I'm not a saint either and I can be harsh sometimes for no reason :creep:

(And, of course, the media is to blame too) 

My rose garden dreams set on fire by fiends... :illumilana2: 

First Lana got cancelled by her own fans (and media) for breathing, speculating she has a mental illness, attacking her boyfriend, managers, and now y'all surprised she doesn't talk to us anymore. It will never be the same, and I'm okay with that. Tbh, she should quit social media like Lorde and send us e-mails about her new releases.

4 minutes ago, Writer In The Dark said:

First Lana got cancelled by her own fans (and media) for breathing, speculating she has a mental illness, attacking her boyfriend, managers, and now y'all surprised she doesn't talk to us anymore. It will never be the same, and I'm okay with that. Tbh, she should quit social media like Lorde and send us e-mails about her new releases.

And her stans on Twitter quite often called her a Karen, a Trump supporter... Lana is very sensitive and of course her attitude towards fans and social media has changed.