Elle

Blue Banisters - Pre-Pre-Release Thread

6 minutes ago, Surf Noir said:

honestly it was really weird how everybody blamed jack, as if she wasn't going for a mellow, stripped-back sound either way, like you've said songs she did with rick, such as change, bartender, and happiness is a butterfly, are all stripped down & mellow, and obviously she's going for the same sound with different producers, it actually found it really irritating that everybody put the blame on jack, we can talk about how she possibily wanted him to be more experimental, but it's clear that she wants a more relaxed sound, and i'm not saying people should get angry at lana either, she should do whatever it is she wants with her art

this. if ultraviolence was going to be produced today, i'm 100% sure we wouldn't get the sound we got back then, because now she has complete control over what she wants to do with the production

6 minutes ago, Honeyyoung said:

this. if ultraviolence was going to be produced today, i'm 100% sure we wouldn't get the sound we got back then, because now she has complete control over what she wants to do with the production

and people will argue that lana shouldn't have complete control over her work which i think is really unfair? of course, her past work is great, but she should still have control over her work, and i'm not saying the producers shouldn't have any input, but she should have the final say, she's not stupid, she's created very beautiful works of art by herself, songs like disco, pawn shop blues, oh say can you see, elvis, super movie, etc. were all written & produced (at some points) by her and they're wonderful, she's a great artist and she's very creative, and at the end of the day, she's gonna do what she wants to do, and obviously right now she wants a more mellow, confessional sound for her work

ezgif-1-9fe66f8123

agree, but for me, I actually don't think they're mellow at all. the emotional depth to them are just gut-wrenching. it's just that the orientation of her music is less external now and more self-oriented and others may just find that less dynamic. but it's absolutely mystical and also very much a true realm/ world that others don't often dip into. it's personally riveting for me, like yes let's explore tell me ur secrets and I'll keep them with you. 

UV/Honeymoon

7 hours ago, Hydroponic Weeds said:

honestly tho do we need a video? i think it's very imagery forward in the song itself. idk, in some way i don't really need the videos for songs anymore. i'd love to have them but they're time consuming. i'd rather Lana work on more music rather than videos. like if she's finishing this album, i'd rather her write a couple more new songs that would bridge the way for the next album instead of wasting time for videos that she'll never put out or videos that are lackluster (white dress i'm looking at you)

I was with you 100% until that last sentence,  but White Dress MV is just sublime. It has the best cinematography of any of her MV, the golden hour landscapes and rural Americana set are gorgeous.  The young Lana actor and the choreography and long tracking shots are all gorgeous. Of all of her videos, this is one the one that brings the world of the song to life, it is my favorite Lana MV along with Ride. I swooned at the scene with the roller blade dance on the pirate ship. I really don't understand the hate for this video. Maybe it's because she used a body double (the video would not have worked with 35 year old Lana as a rollerblading waitress singing about being 19), or maybe people just want campy theatrical COCC MV Lana rather than art goddess Lana? If this video didn't click for you, try not watching it on your phone screen and throw it up onto a big TV if you have one.

Having worked with a producer for my own music who nevertheless had a massive input creatively, they followed my directions and I had a final say. Knowing Lana, down to how she personally labours with the mixing, she’ll have a similar creative control. We get and hear what she wants, whether it comes from her or the producer comes up with something she responds well to. It’s so weird how people think the producer is the be all and end all.

1 hour ago, Nikogo said:

Everyone is asking for Rick back as if the last songs he produced for her weren’t Change, Bartender, and HIAB. :yawn:

if she wanted a bombastic production with strings and whatever else Rick does, she would have gotten it. She went the direction she wants to go. 

flash news: lana is her own creative director so it doesn't matter with who she produces, it matters WHAT she want to produce. People NEED to understand that, there no one to blame except but lana and her actual state of mind, hard pill to swallow but its the truth!

tumblr_static_7g61u4n53vk0808w440k8gwoo.

*:・゚✧:・゚✧ i catch you on the flipside ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* 

1 hour ago, Surf Noir said:

and people will argue that lana shouldn't have complete control over her work which i think is really unfair? of course, her past work is great, but she should still have control over her work, and i'm not saying the producers shouldn't have any input, but she should have the final say, she's not stupid, she's created very beautiful works of art by herself, songs like disco, pawn shop blues, oh say can you see, elvis, super movie, etc. were all written & produced (at some points) by her and they're wonderful, she's a great artist and she's very creative, and at the end of the day, she's gonna do what she wants to do, and obviously right now she wants a more mellow, confessional sound for her work

Idk about other people but I don't think she shouldn't have control over her work bc she's an artist and it's important for your art to be what you want it to be, I just want her to work with people who push her to her full potential rather than just going with whatever she puts out, which is what it seems has been going on lately. I'm really looking forward to the album though bc the singles are very intriguing. 

Just now, ByDayAnother said:

We get and hear what she wants, whether it comes from her or the producer comes up with something she responds well to. It’s so weird how people think the producer is the be all and end all.

While this may vary by producer, I completely agree, and past interviews with her engineers and producers seem to confirm this. Here’s a quote about Lana in the production process that I love:

There is this thing about Lana that if we know she’ll be showing up in half an hour, we have an instinct about what she’s going to like and what not, and so it’s like: ‘Hurry up and make it sound good, so when she walks in the door she’ll be smiling.’ And if she’s not smiling we know how to pull it together really quickly. But she’s in the room for much of the process, and incredibly meticulous about vocal levels, for example. A lot of the vocal rides are dictated by her. She hears 0.2dB differences in volume, and when we got the first mastered songs back, she was really dismayed by how they sounded, and it turned out to be the dithering down from 24- to 16-bit that was bothering her!”

“…and this is all I looked for all my life – to be able to give of my love, my spontaneous joy, unreservedly, with no fear of…misuse, betrayal.”
Sylvia Plath 

The COCC MV is high budget and nicely done with some beautiful shots, but the concept of "good girl by day bad girl by night" is just kind of obvious and cliche, and the whole video is just doing too much. It gives big label pop MV vibes while White Dress MV gives art vibes like she has transcended pop-stardom and become a real star. I also have a grudge against the COCC MV because the the album cover was a BTS shot from that MV, so if they had never filmed that MV then maybe we would have got a decent album cover! Manifesting we don't get that Pics Art selfie for BB. What are we predicting for the Blue Bannisters cover? After two albums of inviting random people onto her album cover, I am hoping she is alone on the cover this time but NOT a selfie.

white dress mv reminds me of a soap opera and the only good part is the solo rollerblading! there i said it

manifesting something like the honeymoon mvs or uv mvs for this era, truly unmatched. nothing will ever come close :oprah3: besides aka mvs which hold a special place in my heart

sUcVobB.png

6 minutes ago, ByDayAnother said:

Having worked with a producer for my own music who nevertheless had a massive input creatively, they followed my directions and I had a final say. Knowing Lana, down to how she personally labours with the mixing, she’ll have a similar creative control. We get and hear what she wants, whether it comes from her or the producer comes up with something she responds well to. It’s so weird how people think the producer is the be all and end all.

i think people tend to neglect the fact that they dont connect with lana in some parts so its better to blame an external influences unfortunately. I believe that people that we re close can trigger some creatives paths, but lana was always strong with her own imagery and style, she always do exactly what she wants

5 minutes ago, PatentLeatherDoOver said:

While this may vary by producer, I completely agree, and past interviews with her engineers and producers seem to confirm this. Here’s a quote about Lana in the production process that I love:

There is this thing about Lana that if we know she’ll be showing up in half an hour, we have an instinct about what she’s going to like and what not, and so it’s like: ‘Hurry up and make it sound good, so when she walks in the door she’ll be smiling.’ And if she’s not smiling we know how to pull it together really quickly. But she’s in the room for much of the process, and incredibly meticulous about vocal levels, for example. A lot of the vocal rides are dictated by her. She hears 0.2dB differences in volume, and when we got the first mastered songs back, she was really dismayed by how they sounded, and it turned out to be the dithering down from 24- to 16-bit that was bothering her!”

where i can find more about her production process???

tumblr_static_7g61u4n53vk0808w440k8gwoo.

*:・゚✧:・゚✧ i catch you on the flipside ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* 

5 minutes ago, PatentLeatherDoOver said:

i'm not gonna lie, i would probably be the same way :thumb2: i'm obsessed with background vocals and i would probably be very picky about how they sound if i was recording a song, i don't think it's wrong that she's incredibly specific, but i understand that it can be frustrating :oopna:

ezgif-1-9fe66f8123

People can say what they want about Lana’s “antifeminism” but if there’s anything that that quote about her production process proves, it’s that she truly is an empowered woman.

Her close production circle has consistently been men (other than Laura Sisk, who engineers records with Jack) and she never lets her voice go unheard - she’s the one in charge. And I love that (we all know by now that I’m a #girlboss advocate :typewriter: it’s super important to see educated, empowered, and flourishing women of all types succeed). I think her self-assuredness is really stark considering the fact that so many people have tried to paint her as some sort of submissive personality, when really, that couldn’t be further from the truth. Even in her music, I never got a true “submissiveness” from her, as critics would say they did.

Blue Banisters as a record is truly poignant because Lana is reclaiming her voice as a woman - and I think her telling her own story is the most powerful thing anyone can do. Setting the record straight and exploring her femininity by recognizing that while there have been women who have truly hurt her, she can now celebrate the women who have healed her. That’s in and of itself the opposite of what people have defamed Lana to be. 

I really do admire the fact that Lana calls all the shots when it comes to her career - whether or not you like the changes in production each album, or the promotional strategies (or lack thereof, sometimes) you can’t deny the fact that Lana Del Rey is a confident woman who truly is a great symbol of “traditionally feminine” women being empowering - especially when culture has, for a long time, accepted the masculinization of women as “true” feminism.  

That’s also why I also love artists like Nicki Minaj, Beyoncé, Megan Thee Stallion - they reclaim the hyper-sexuality and femininity that women have been conditioned to dissociate from in order to be taken seriously. Women like these, Lana included, give us the option to be comfortable in ourselves and to set our own boundaries when it comes to our presentations of self. 

Sorry for such a long rant - but @PatentLeatherDoOver’s quote set me off LOL <3 and I think this really ties into the album and the commentary Lana seems to be making by telling her own story (intentional or not) :typewriter: