Elle

Blue Banisters - Pre-Pre-Release Thread

48 minutes ago, theviolence said:

This is her villain arc, one she's been building up to for a long time. Ramble incoming

Reveal hidden contents

She was critically derided with BTD, all those questions of inauthenticity and the nature of the music and SNL etc. With UV and HM, she retreated further into her own realm, existing from behind layers of her own mystique and myth, perhaps in part as a protective impulse against the hostility outside of her world. This was peak classic Lana, unapologetic of the situation outside her by living totally within herself. 

But with LFL, she begins her foray outside. Opening the space to collaborators, bridging her world with the common world by addressing politics. Almost an exercise in reckoning with the hostile outside with positivity, proclaiming that she isn't insular, she's large she contains multitudes lmao. And it is refreshing, of course. And she builds on this positivity with NFR, a sort of archimedean point of universal acclaim and acceptance. Validation from the same hostile public that wrote her off years ago. 

But even though the acclaim continues with COCC, Lana doesn't seem to want to accept the acceptance. She's won their game, and now she's denouncing it, she's turning it on its head, and I say this purely by the way she refuses to be amicable about her controversy. Lana seems to be consumed by the wrongs she faced at the start of her career, and I suppose that feeling of injustice, of being the misunderstood underdog, is resurfacing in a very tangible form. 

It's the return of the repressed. What helplessness she may have felt when she was being slammed during the BTD era has reared its head again, except now she's won the industry, and she doesn't have to be helpless any more. She refuses to be internalised by it, where their acceptance basically mutes her, sterilises her. So she embraces villainy, doesn't play it safe, sells her wares on her own terms, lashes out irrationally (and revels in this irrationality); she is no longer pleading not to be misunderstood, as on Honeymoon, but simply accepts that she IS misunderstood, chronically, and makes that her impulse. So, she releases Rock Candy Sweet. 

For some reason I keep thinking of the Hunger Games, lol. (spoilers), but the way Lana is acting right now just reminds me of when Katniss unexpectedly killed President Coin. As though, she finally became accepted as part of that establishment, but refused it, rescinded it for the dark edges where she belongs, saw it as the hollow world it was and decided she didn't need it. 

Where does she go from here? I think after releasing this next album, she'll have spent all this vengeful energy and will continue on down some elusive path, out to somewhere untethered from the rational and critical world. It'll mark, like, a new dawn of Lana; this revenge being the antithesis, and her new synthesis emerging as something totally left-of-centre post-RCS. Where she's being super reactive now, to the press and the past, I think she'll finally reach a point where she is done with it all. And I mean properly done, not repressed. This is probably the last ritual, some type of self-cleansing, clearing out the attic and airing out the old grief, before she moves house completely, takes us somewhere fresh and new. The last journey, perhaps, before entering legend space. 

Thus concludes my wild over-read of post-NFR Lana, thank you, thank you. 

YlJVhzt.png

DYJRPfi.gif c5dd836305cb85b3253fce96ae00741c547fd6fd.gif SH8DzJM.gif
???????, ??? ??? ?? ?? ???? ?????

1 minute ago, Clampigirl said:

Hmm, interesting. :3

Pink and blue?? O___o

thatll be the vinyl colors yup calling it now

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

6 minutes ago, takeitdoen said:

You ask this like she didn't release Venice Bitch and Mariner's Apartment Complex months before NFR. :oopna:

yeah but those singles weren't announced 3 months ahead tho. i think she announced it like... a few days ahead right? can't remember but definitely not 3 months

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

1 hour ago, theviolence said:

This is her villain arc, one she's been building up to for a long time. Ramble incoming

Reveal hidden contents

She was critically derided with BTD, all those questions of inauthenticity and the nature of the music and SNL etc. With UV and HM, she retreated further into her own realm, existing from behind layers of her own mystique and myth, perhaps in part as a protective impulse against the hostility outside of her world. This was peak classic Lana, unapologetic of the situation outside her by living totally within herself. 

But with LFL, she begins her foray outside. Opening the space to collaborators, bridging her world with the common world by addressing politics. Almost an exercise in reckoning with the hostile outside with positivity, proclaiming that she isn't insular, she's large she contains multitudes lmao. And it is refreshing, of course. And she builds on this positivity with NFR, a sort of archimedean point of universal acclaim and acceptance. Validation from the same hostile public that wrote her off years ago. 

But even though the acclaim continues with COCC, Lana doesn't seem to want to accept the acceptance. She's won their game, and now she's denouncing it, she's turning it on its head, and I say this purely by the way she refuses to be amicable about her controversy. Lana seems to be consumed by the wrongs she faced at the start of her career, and I suppose that feeling of injustice, of being the misunderstood underdog, is resurfacing in a very tangible form. 

It's the return of the repressed. What helplessness she may have felt when she was being slammed during the BTD era has reared its head again, except now she's won the industry, and she doesn't have to be helpless any more. She refuses to be internalised by it, where their acceptance basically mutes her, sterilises her. So she embraces villainy, doesn't play it safe, sells her wares on her own terms, lashes out irrationally (and revels in this irrationality); she is no longer pleading not to be misunderstood, as on Honeymoon, but simply accepts that she IS misunderstood, chronically, and makes that her impulse. So, she releases Rock Candy Sweet. 

For some reason I keep thinking of the Hunger Games, lol. (spoilers), but the way Lana is acting right now just reminds me of when Katniss unexpectedly killed President Coin. As though, she finally became accepted as part of that establishment, but refused it, rescinded it for the dark edges where she belongs, saw it as the hollow world it was and decided she didn't need it. 

Where does she go from here? I think after releasing this next album, she'll have spent all this vengeful energy and will continue on down some elusive path, out to somewhere untethered from the rational and critical world. It'll mark, like, a new dawn of Lana; this revenge being the antithesis, and her new synthesis emerging as something totally left-of-centre post-RCS. Where she's being super reactive now, to the press and the past, I think she'll finally reach a point where she is done with it all. And I mean properly done, not repressed. This is probably the last ritual, some type of self-cleansing, clearing out the attic and airing out the old grief, before she moves house completely, takes us somewhere fresh and new. The last journey, perhaps, before entering legend space. 

Thus concludes my wild over-read of post-NFR Lana, thank you, thank you. 

I loved this. I just hope that if she goes all out with this angry, cleansing album, she really goes for it. Like, I want this album to be her exorcism. Her Yeezus. I want her to fuck me all the way up.

:defeated:

3 hours ago, May said:

kinda unrelated but tbh if this album is as explosive and angry as she’s hinting at then a lot of ppl in this fanbase need to let this be the era that they stop getting worked up over reviews & critics bc there’s a good chance she’ll end up getting dragged thru the pits .. personally ima just let her have her angry moment and only pay attention to the content this era, she can get a 30 on metacritic for all i care

This is a good point. I was angry about the Sputnik trolling, but only because nothing about her social media drama had anything to do with Chemtrails. :defeated: 

I hate to put it this way, but perhaps she was treating Chemtrails as a sort of sacrificial album, expecting it to get torn apart by the critics due to her controversies and then blast into Rock Candy Sweet to move on for it? It really is surprising Chemtrails has been met with the acclaim it has. But yeah, it seems like she's been prepping this new album for a while, and if she's really going for the jugular like she seems to be, I won't even bother looking at the MC page when it's released because the vibe is gonna be caliente.  :lolliney:

In some of the reviews for COCC the authors took issue with how she has treated Ann Powers. The direction of her next album might alienate them further.

Lana probably knows that and it just shows how bold she is. Coming from two critically acclaimed album, this might be the perfect time to adress her critics. 

Edit: Guess there will be two sides when the record drops: „Omg Lana is a fragile white woman“ and „She is rightfully not taking it any longer“. What an interesting  and scary time to be a stan 

:oprah3:

Edit 2: Two things I can‘t stop thinking about:

- Lana does really care what critics think of her. And especially the criticism in her early career seem to have left some deep scars. QFTC has made this already clear, but it looks like she has much more to say.

- Most Critics don‘t know how to handle her and are suprised when she claps back. It shows in the reviews for COCC where they repeat the things they said about NFR („best songwriter of our generation“, „such a lana-album“ and so on).

No, but I really hope this album has a strong production with some heavy drums.

I've HAD it with Jack's watered-down 4 chords beat :smh:

My rose garden dreams set on fire by fiends... :illumilana2: 

47 minutes ago, Poor Stacy said:

This is a good point. I was angry about the Sputnik trolling, but only because nothing about her social media drama had anything to do with Chemtrails. :defeated: 

I hate to put it this way, but perhaps she was treating Chemtrails as a sort of sacrificial album, expecting it to get torn apart by the critics due to her controversies and then blast into Rock Candy Sweet to move on for it? It really is surprising Chemtrails has been met with the acclaim it has. But yeah, it seems like she's been prepping this new album for a while, and if she's really going for the jugular like she seems to be, I won't even bother looking at the MC page when it's released because the vibe is gonna be caliente.  :lolliney:

I’m thinking it’s more the opposite. Every album of hers is sacrificial in that she never knows how critics will react, which is why she distances herself from a project by having already moved onto the next one. Despite loving it, critics wondered if NFR was just a fluke, so she continued her streak with Jack to record her most personal record to date and settle any questions on her authenticity. It’s not a very controversial album and I think she did that on purpose. She bit her tongue, collected her Metacritic bag, and announced RCS, basically pulling the rug from under everyone. 

It’s sad that she has this kind of relationship with her own music but I understand it and relate. Safeguarding yourself from criticism can be really empowering when you know you’re onto something. 

. . . Chemtrails Over the Country Club: The Re Up: Rock Candy Sweet

White Sugar 
Chemtrails Over the Chemical Dye 
Taffy Jesus Freak 
Let Me Love You Like A Haribo 
Werther's At Heart 
Dark But Just Dark Chocolate 
Not All Who Wander Are Gumballs 
York Peppermint Patties 
Breaking Up Slowly (like a Kit Kat Bar)
(Candy)For Sale 

Rock Candy Sweet

xfyWMa.gif

UV/Honeymoon

What if she planned this all along?

COTCC was ready last year and she pushed it back to finalize this album and that's the reason why we only got 11 songs and that the rest from the original COTCC is on RCS.

Mfhp.gif

11 minutes ago, lets ride said:

It’s sad that she has this kind of relationship with her own music but I understand it and relate. Safeguarding yourself from criticism can be really empowering when you know you’re onto something. 

beautifully said!

1 minute ago, TerrenceLovesHoneymoon said:

What if she planned this all along?

COTCC was ready last year and she pushed it back to finalize this album and that's the reason why we only got 11 songs and that the rest from the original COTCC is on RCS.

Exactly, cocc delay wasn't very must intentionally this time (I think), and she figured since we waited for so long she would give us two records this year

This is too nice for us what's the catch? :blush3:

lights, camera, acción

I’m happy for new music but I honestly wish it wasn’t so soon. She’s gonna release a new album only a month and a half after Chemtrails, and I really wanted to take time to enjoy it. Norman came out two years ago and I’m still not over how brilliant it is, how am I supposed to digest Chemtrails in a month and a half?

I'll do it for the right reasons

Withstanding all the time, changes and seasons

~?~