Elle

Lana Del Rey covers Rolling Stone Germany - April 2021

most ppl dont like random interviews like this but i think its sweet to just know what shes up to. it wouldve made more sense for rolling stone to focus more on the music but its nice hearing her talk about her grandma, lake placid and elliott smith nonetheless

Baby-Girl-Congratulations-Glitter.gif

4 hours ago, Dominikx4 said:

Translated most of the article except  for page 40 which is just a rundown of her discography, maybe @COCC is gonna translate that at some point? :creep: 

Translation is a bit shaky at certain points, I didnt revise it at all but its still better than Google I suppose

here you go

Thank you so much! Let me add page 40 then (took some freedom here and there):

Spoiler

Deceptive American idyll

Kill Kill (2008): On her first single, released under the name Lizzy Grant, Del Rey shows already the essential elements of her later aesthetics: The whispery singing, doomed love and self-stylization as American icon. In the music video she edited herself, she wraps herself in an American flag while wearing a Monroe wig. In between, she add grainy home videos of other people, shows amusement parks and crowded beaches.

Video Games (2011): Lana is born: The video, shot by herself, shows her, apparently filmed with a laptop camera in front of a white wall, amidst a quick-cut collage of old Sunset boulevard images, vintage beach scenes and paparazzi shots of stumbling starlets. In contrast her singing: an elegy.

National Anthem (2012): Del Rey whispers “Happy Birthday Mr. President” for Asap Rocky, who is acting as JFK. Then sun-drained Super-8 footage, home videos of the presidential couple, she plays Jackie Kennedy. It ends how it has to: with a shot at the car, panicking cops and the shock in Del Rey’s face.

Ride (2012): In front of a monumental desert panorama, she swings in an old car tyre. Wide land, no longer in the hands of the natives: Bikers roam around, loaded with guns, sleeping in shabby motels and drinking at the gas station. Del Rey is the biker bride who is groped at the flipper machine. She’s wearing a feather head piece while her boys are making a fire.

Ultraviolence (2014): In her wedding dress, she walks along a garden path. There’s a man with her, but all we can see are his hands. The invisible groom feeds her with cake and puts his fingers in her mouth. The shaky camera shows his perspective, he walks behind her, follows her into an empty church, and gets closer and closer to her, like a character in a horror movie. The lonely wedding is the beginning of a nightmare.

High by the beach (2015): The Pacific glows blue, Dei Rey stands on a terrace in a bright robe in Malibu. A helicopter appears and is hovering menacingly in the air in front of her. She retreats to the apartment, flees from the noise and the downwind, but the flying paparazzi won’t leave her alone. So she climbs down the rocks, pulls out a guitar case, pulls out an uzi and aims. Happy ending.

Freak (2016): She puts an LSD paper on FJM's tongue, he turns into a cult leader who is slowly swarmed by white-dressed women. They drink the Kool-Aid and disappear into a paradise underwater world. ,,Baby, if you want to leave, come to California, be a freak like me, too. ”

Lust for Life (2017): Glamorous lives end in tragedy. The actress Peg Entwistle jumped from the “H” of the Hollywood Sign to her death in 1932. Here The Weeknd and Lana Dei Rey dance on this H, beneath them the night lights of the city, above them an impossible starry sky. Zooming out at the end: the Earth is a lonely planet.

Doing Time (2019): Lana is about two hundred meters tall, pulls palm trees out of the ground like it's grass, climbs over the city highway like a Carrera track. It's the plot of a B-movie that is shown in a drive-in cinema. The gigantic Dei Rey descends from the screen like “Purple Rose Of Cairo” and disciplinedly rebellious (not sure if that's the right word...) spectators.

COCC (2021): An American idyll in Technicolor: the sky almost as blue as the swimming pool, the old car blood red, ice cubes in the glass, the fruit from the market. But then: wolves and a hurricane, all eyes glow demonically, and Del Rey turns with her friends into bloodthirsty creatures of the night.

4 hours ago, Dominikx4 said:

What is your most precious possession?

I can not say anything about possession, but to see my brother and sister happy is the biggest joy for me.

She's such a cancer ?

Many thanks to the fine folks translating this interview, but it would be great if we could get hold of the original English answers, so hopefully they make more sense than going English->German->English.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

On 3/25/2021 at 12:58 PM, Dominikx4 said:

What kind of instruction have you given to your producer, Jack Antonoff, a lot?

“Let yourself go!” “Be wilder” “Go harder for the end of the song!”

I always knew that Jack wasn't wild at heart. He plays by the books. If Lana don't ditch him, her music will be even more generic

On 3/25/2021 at 6:22 AM, Elle said:

New photo shared by Lana from the cover shoot - 

That last line.

This is what she longs for, or at least one of them, maybe. To have people trust that she has good intention enough to just be. idk since when, but maybe since 50s to present, we are conditioned to choose and excel in a specialty, and are deemed a failure when doing otherwise.

And maybe because it's her inherent nature to crave and be in variety.

She has the hunger to know and try everything, and thus try to familiarize herself with the topic of death, to sort of make peace with the fact that she might never gonna know or be everything that she wants, in this lifetime.

Enough just to make her feel crazy.

Once she got the initial understanding that we all were born to die, she doesn't really care how deep or shallow people think her songs are; doesn't matter if people, or she herself think that she's not enough--cos she's young and in love (enough).

..but believe me when I say that the surveillance we live under is the highest privilege compared to how we treat the rest of the world.