HeartshapedChevrolet

Paradise - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Paradise  

277 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite songs from Paradise?

• Ride
    • American
    • Cola
    • Body Electric
    • Blue Velvet
    • Gods & Monsters
    • Yayo
    • Bel Air
    • Burning Desire

I don't have much to say really.

Ride - 3.5/4 - Gets messy towards the end, it's catchy - but I'm just not a huge fan of it.

American 3/5 - The instrumental is lovely, but I'm not a fan of it lyrically.

Cola - 4.5/5 - I really like it, great song. Not perfect, but a great song. My favorite song off the album.

Body Electric (no rating) - I have conflicting opinions since I have no clue what direction she had in mind with this song. The live performances make me think of classic horror, give me memories of films like Carnival of Souls, What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?, not sure why - those films always pop into mind. But the studio version, and this applies to Gods & Monsters also, make me think of Grimm's Fairy Tales and Goblin's scores for Dario Argento's work - more specifically Suspiria and some of the score for Profondo Rosso. I'm unsure what I think about this song.

Blue Velvet - 4.5/5 - Great cover. I love it. The moans at the beginning I could certainly do without, they feel so forced.

Gods & Monsters - 2.5/5 - I love the opening, but not the rest of the song. It feels really melodramatic.

Yayo - 3/5 - It's not the AKA version, but it's still good.

Bel Air - 3.5/5 - Not a huge fan of it, it'll probably be a grower.

Burning Desire - 4/5 - I really enjoy this song. It's great for car rides for sure. I always feel like I'm speeding through LA when I listen to it.

Overall rating: 3.9/5

Ride - 5/5 - Loved it from the very first listen, the power this song has still amazes me (I tried not to overplay it so it's still special to me). The video helped strengthen my view of it, but I already adored everything about it before. The rhythm, the lyrics, everything.

American - 3.5/5 - I think it's pretty good, has a catchy sound to it, but the lyrics are a bit meh at parts. I like it, just not a favorite.

Cola - 3/5 - it's growing on me, I won't resist it :creep: it's very catchy

Body Electric - 4/5 - I like this one more than I thought I would! The lyrics stuck with me, it's really dramatic like I like 'em (otherwise those mild religious references would be a bit unnecessary) and I find it pretty good.

Blue Velvet - 4/5 - She sings it in a very delicate, haunting way, I enjoy it (and of course the song itself is amazing).

Gods and Monsters - 1/5 - Hate it. Everything from the ridiculous lyrics to the monotonous tone she keeps the entire song to the pretty boring sound of it. Tend to skip it involuntarily when it comes along.

Yayo - 3/5 - Always liked the song itself and the new version brings an... interesting sound to it. My brain still prefers the first version but this one isn't bad.

Bel Air - 5/5 - Adored it from when I first heard the demos! My ears just love it, I feel like playing it constantly, it's such a beautiful song.

Burning Desire - 4.5/5 - Ah this one is so husky-voiced and sexy, in a dark kind of way, makes me want to ride through the night with a dirty biker or something.

tumblr_n746y8etXI1qa35sao1_500.gif

*Listening (mostly) for the first time and typing my review as I go*

Ride - 4/5

This song is the "Born to Die" of the Paradise Edition for me. It's probably my favorite, though others will choose to skip it when it comes up on shuffle. I love the build up and how very Sam's Town it sounds. The drums that come in on I hear the birds on the summer breeze give me life, although I hate the video and I have to say that the monologue is v lame.

American - 2/5

I rated this a 2.. it's not a "bad" song per se, but lyrically- it is weak. Lana describes herself as a poet, and in this song, that does not come across in the slightest. I don't know if she's ripping of Tom Petty or paying homage with the party dress line ("Last Dance with Mary Jane"), but it was just too cheesy, along with all the "likes", "Springsteen is the king" (although this is true), and most of all- the wolf howlings... What is she trying to say about Americans, anyways? (I'm just glad all the artists she listed were, in fact, Americans)

Cola - 2/5

This is the song people will listen to and giggle when she says "pussy." It lacks depth, which is fine- a good, silly song is always welcome- but it's not that either. There is no buildup and there is no..er, for lack of a better term, climax. I've heard her describe this song as tropical and surf, but I am not getting that vibe at all, is it just me? And if this song is about Barrie, I do wonder about the wife lyric- are they actually married? I know your wife.. (because it's her) - but I digress. And it is most annoying that I cannot figure out if is she is saying Holly/Javi/Hubby??? Moreover, it's a bit creepy to sing about what your vagina tastes like and subsequently stating that you pledge allegiance to your dad for teaching you everything he knows. Also "Decorate my neck"..does Lana like pearl necklaces? (Lana, "niceys" is not a word) :P

Body Electric - 4/5

So very autotune-y but I like it. Still not liking her pronunciation of Opry. It's not OPRAY or OPRUUUUI..just Op-ree, said from a girl that spent her youth there. I didn't expect to like this because when she first sang it live, I found the lyrics to be sophomoric and the beat to be dull.. the kind of thing you listen to when you wanna go to sleep. However, I really appreciate what they've done to this song! It's fun to sing your own version, I highly recommend it haha

Blue Velvet - 4/5

This was a great cover for her. It gets a bit old if you play it too much, but it's nice. I hope she does more covers! The only fault is that I wanted her .. pitch? I'm not sure what term to use to be a bit higher.. or a high note would suffice. Usually, when you do a cover, you wanna make it her own- and she's done just that, though I still prefer Bobby Vinton's version.

Gods and Monsters - 31/2-4 out of 5

If she hadn't of mentioned Morrison (my daddy), who knows if it would've rated this high with me but despite the cringe worthy lyrics, it's not too horrible for me. The second verse is where it starts to decline, lyrically and sonically, although the scream is everything. So much buildup and, again, no climax! I wanted an explosion, fireworks, etc. but we get "dope shit up straight to the heart." The final verse is the worst.. it's like she's just rambling shallow little lines.. "if I get a little prettier can I be your baby?" ..kinda messes up the theme of the song. I do think it'd make for a very interesting video, though and I can see how "the tumblr youth" (wow, I'm old) will like this one and Cola most.

Yayo - 1/5

Hate it.. at times she sounds like she's trying too hard and at other times she sounds bored. The entire time she sounds distant and removed when the novelty of the song is that its so personal, sweet, and full of emotion..I do wonder if the stutter (I-I wear your sparkle") was intentional.. moving on..

Bel Air - 4/5

No real complaints with this song, it's just a bit boring. I do picture Lana walking down the Palace of Fontainebleau in the Born to Die video in her white nightgown walking towards "heaven's gates" when I hear this song. It's really pretty and I love when the chorus kicks in and overlaps the verse.

Burning Desire - 4/5

I really like this song but it took some warming up to. I think it was because the first version I had through Itunes was screwy.. it's so great now. It doesn't try to be anything more than it is and it's nice to drive at night to. I really love the little sound in the background during the verse. I'm guessing that's a piano? It sounds ~~ like a piano incognito as wind chimes.. ~~

And I have to say- you can see the influence of the American Beauty soundtrack in this one, which I love...can you picture a plastic bag floating as you listen? lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al21Vtlsg4A

Well, that's it- I'm a tough critic but I'll give the PE a 3/5.. with Body Electric being my fave, which is really surprising, and also Ride.

Edit: Sorry I wrote so much!!

*** People call me crazy but I'm in demand ***

And it is most annoying that I cannot figure out if is she is saying Holly/Javi/Hubby???

Apparently, in the booklet it says "Ah, he's in the sky with diamonds," which pisses me off because that's lame. It sounds like she's saying Harvey to me, and that's how I'll continue to sing it.

14417469274.gif

I've been thinking about this a lot since I started listening to the EP. To me, Paradise resonates as something beautiful and joyous and while Lana obviously creates beautiful music, I wouldn't describe it as happy. Anyway, while listening to American something clicked with me in a really big way. She got to the Springsteen line and I noticed something. Having grown up listening to/loving Springsteen I'm not sure why I didn't get it before but our boy Bruce has a song called Paradise. I flicked over to it immediately and remembered remembered how melancholy/somber it is and how it's not talking about paradise in the conventional sense.

Edit: I meant to link the video in the OP, sorry.

A possible reference/tribute from Lana?

Also take into account the album it comes from, The Rising is a reflection on 9/11.

4d05b88473027157c69dadf2c058161f.jpg