HeartshapedChevrolet

Paradise - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Paradise  

277 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite songs from Paradise?

• Ride
    • American
    • Cola
    • Body Electric
    • Blue Velvet
    • Gods & Monsters
    • Yayo
    • Bel Air
    • Burning Desire

Paradise is so underrated! It has so many classics, such as Ride, Cola, Body Electric, but the record itself seems so overlooked as a whole. Even I seem to underestimate how much I enjoy this EP, such a gem in her discography. To me, it's like a mix between Born To Die and Honeymoon. Also Cola is such an amazing song.

WGe8ynS.gif

Ride - 2/5

This song is sort of nice but... boring. There is just so much better stuff out there, including Lana stuff, to listen to.

American - 3/5

A little nicer, not quite as boring. I plan to find a playlist to stick it in and hope that does it justice so it can grow on me.

Cola - 1/5

I think this song is entirely about drugs of various sorts. Which isn't a bad thing; I just have no life experience with substances beyond alcohol and caffeine; so I lack a point of identification. Though I have plenty of experience swapping one emotional addiction for another. So I could probably be persuaded to look deeper. (I just don't want to look any deeper into the pussy right now; I mean what the actual fuck?)

Body Electric - 4/5

I'm pleased with how the studio version has turned out. BE is now worth listening to. tomato.gif

Blue Velvet - 2/5

:tapsfingersinirritation: Boring.

Gods and Monsters - 3/5

I like parts of it, and don't like other parts. I hope when I understand it better I will like it better.

Yayo - 3/5

This version is lovely in its own way, but the spaciness makes me think this song is about the drug after all. I just don't see a lot of reason to listen to this one rather than the love song (yes, love song, dammit) that is Yayo 2010.

Bel Air - 5/5

I adore this song so much. Bel Air is the entire point of the Paradise edition for me (at first listen. I am all about the ear candy.) Bel Air delivers. I hope when I understand it better I will still love it.

Burning Desire - 3/5

Yeah, probably should have been on the album. Nice moments. Not the best. But better than half of what made it on the second CD imo.

#letdownsofar #ohwellatleastnowwehavebelair #ducksandrunsforcover

this user hates drugs

this user hates drugs

Lol no, I'm scared of drugs. I'm sensitive to things like over-the-counter medication, so I take children's cold meds. I've been told if I ever try less than medical-grade marijuana I could have a seriously bad reaction because of my sensitivities. I'm looking forward to trying pot if it ever becomes legal in my state, so I can get an Rx for the quality stuff.

#lifegoals

Paradise, now, I never listen to anymore  :teehee:

39150648115_3584eac590_o.png

i remember being so excited for this! a perfect lil follow up to BTD! LANA WORK WITH EMILE AGAIN THANKS!!!!!!1111111

RIDE: THE WHITE NOISE BEFORE THE SONG IS ICONIC 

AMERICAN: I ALWAYS HEAR LOTS OF GOLDS AND REDS WITH THIS SONG. THE MUSIC IS SO ODD

COLA: MY PUSSY TASTES LIKE PEPSI COLA 

BODY ELECTRIC: STUDIO VERSION IS TRASH. the live version she played before it was release WOULD ALWAYS DESTROY MY BODY. 

BLUE VELVET: BEST PRODUCED SONG ON THE EP IMO CHRIST EVERYTHING IS SO SIMPLE AND ORCHESTRAL BUT NOISY AT THE SAME TIME HELP 

GODS AND MONSTERS: L. A. L. A. L. A. L. A. L. A. THIS SONG ALSO HAS INCREDIBLE PRODUCTION WE DONT DESERVE IT INNOCENCE LOST 

YAYO: I love this version of the song even if it's not spectacular. i think everything is there for it to be a masterpiece, but it's mixed poorly and i think it could have been a bit bigger towards the second half of the song. the percussion could have been BIG. the percussion in Blue Velvet in so simple yet complex and i think the same could have been applied to Yayo. RIP this is the final version of the song. i hope there's another mix somewhere that will leak someday. maybe this song needed more guitar? i think some deep bass tones with louder clean electric guitar could have helped. xoxo idk

BEL AIR: SPOOKY SEND OFF WHATS NOT TO LOVE

bonus BURNING DESIRE: THIS SONG IS A LIL LAME BUT ICONIC! I REMEMBER BLASTING IT AND THINKING IT WAS A B O P WHEN IT WAS RELEASED. I REMEMBER LAUGHING ABOUT HOW OFTEN SHE SAID "DRIVE FAST" ON PARADISE AND THIS BONUS TRACK WAS BASICALLY HER SAYING SHE DRIVES FAST. IT KILLED ME. (in an interview she once said she likes the song because its "manly and about driving fast") #dead

PARADISE WAS AN EXPERIENCE. TROPICO AND THE ANNOUNCEMENT OF UV. it feels like yesterday when i would sit and listen and cry to BTD and Paradise and dream of my first boyfriend. much nostalgia. 

i am the queen of the universe. the waves part, and they engulf me, and the water is warm.   

https://onlineparades.bandcamp.com/album/sure-jan

why are you people trashing the studio version of Body Electric now? I don't see anything wrong with it. I looovvveee it anyway

If I get a little prettier can I be your baby?

Beskrivning saknas.

I believe in Flipside/Is This Happiness?/Your Girl supremacy

why are you people trashing the studio version of Body Electric now? I don't see anything wrong with it. I looovvveee it anyway

I think like with How to Disappear, people got too attached to the live version we heard first, so the studio version couldn’t live up to it. I love the haunting guitars in the live one, but the studio one is still pretty haunting and psychedelic. I love both versions, but I definitely think the studio version needs more love. Body Electric is probably in my top 5 Lana songs of all time. Plus the scene in Tropico for it is so magically beautiful.

75db99d920c2ca66a0ee7e5c2de27df4181ca688

In my mind this is the quintessential Lana album.

I’m so shocked and horrified that Paradise has somehow become her most underrated by fans

completely feel this! each song has like a very lana-esque element.

Ride is the big, bombastic anthem about the strange combined feelings of loneliness and freedom.

American is the slightly more paired-back, intimate, sweet, devoted love song with the trip-hop elements present on BTD.

Cola is the sultry, Bond Girl-esque side of Lana that sings about older men and diamonds.

Body Electric is the sinister celebration of iconography and Americana.

Blue Velvet is the classic jazz cover, obviously significant to Lana's whole thing.

Gods & Monsters is the most rock-inspired song on the EP, which again, super relevant to Lana (the song would probs fit right in on UV) and that's without even considering the iconic lyrics and what they represent in the Lana pantheon.

Yayo is obviously a re-imagining of her elusive earlier work as Lizzy and all its talk of trailer parks and putting on a show for u daddy represents the 'sad party' vibe she aims for in her earlier work and unreleased stuff.

Bel Air is a lil bit of 'Hollywood Sadcore' Lana, super ethereal and gentle but also a little glamorous and cinematic.

there's rly something in every song of this EP to represent who Lana is, esp who she was at that point  :poordat:  it needs more love

Wq9zHLl.jpg

completely feel this! each song has like a very lana-esque element.

Ride is the big, bombastic anthem about the strange combined feelings of loneliness and freedom.

American is the slightly more paired-back, intimate, sweet, devoted love song with the trip-hop elements present on BTD.

Cola is the sultry, Bond Girl-esque side of Lana that sings about older men and diamonds.

Body Electric is the sinister celebration of iconography and Americana.

Blue Velvet is the classic jazz cover, obviously significant to Lana's whole thing.

Gods & Monsters is the most rock-inspired song on the EP, which again, super relevant to Lana (the song would probs fit right in on UV) and that's without even considering the iconic lyrics and what they represent in the Lana pantheon.

Yayo is obviously a re-imagining of her elusive earlier work as Lizzy and all its talk of trailer parks and putting on a show for u daddy represents the 'sad party' vibe she aims for in her earlier work and unreleased stuff.

Bel Air is a lil bit of 'Hollywood Sadcore' Lana, super ethereal and gentle but also a little glamorous and cinematic.

there's rly something in every song of this EP to represent who Lana is, esp who she was at that point  :poordat:  it needs more love

I agree 100% !   :gclap:

Its still one of my favorite records.

-

Didn't know this thread existed, just goes to show how underrated it is and how much more recognition this godly masterpiece deserves :crying4:

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven