salvatore

Lana Del Rey: All 113 Songs Ranked, a Critics List

Stargirl Interlude deserved Dayglo Reflection‘s position. It’s her best feature work and we all know it’s true.

Spoiler

tenor.gif

DYJRPfi.gif c5dd836305cb85b3253fce96ae00741c547fd6fd.gif SH8DzJM.gif
???????, ??? ??? ?? ?? ???? ?????

Gotta hate on music-industry pundits, who think they know something about creativity and the artistic worth of an artist's works just by displaying objective facts about their opinions (as if that were interesting, btw this is just one critic's rankings, so its posture as being "interesting" is kind of a mystery for me). It also seems downright mysogynistic to treat the AKA album (and by implication all the unreleased stuff before or after it) as not fully formed or worthy of her discography (or at least some discography). If you take Mozart's first symphony written when he was not yet a teen, there are 25+ recordings of that. My point is not that she's like Mozart, but just that if an artist turns out to be great, it is a very natural thing (for male artists, at least) to be intensely interested in their early works to see how they got there. In LDR's case, for me, there is also a specific irony of there being as many, or more, early works than later ones, and their subjectively perceived quality (for me again) -- as songs, not necessarily production -- being about the same as her released works. I mean, I would have been just as happy (well happier, actually) seeing Go Go Dancer being no. 1.

37 minutes ago, slang said:

Gotta hate on music-industry pundits, who think they know something about creativity and the artistic worth of an artist's works just by displaying objective facts about their opinions (as if that were interesting, btw this is just one critic's rankings, so its posture as being "interesting" is kind of a mystery for me). It also seems downright mysogynistic to treat the AKA album (and by implication all the unreleased stuff before or after it) as not fully formed or worthy of her discography (or at least some discography). If you take Mozart's first symphony written when he was not yet a teen, there are 25+ recordings of that. My point is not that she's like Mozart, but just that if an artist turns out to be great, it is a very natural thing (for male artists, at least) to be intensely interested in their early works to see how they got there. In LDR's case, for me, there is also a specific irony of there being as many, or more, early works than later ones, and their subjectively perceived quality (for me again) -- as songs, not necessarily production -- being about the same as her released works. I mean, I would have been just as happy (well happier, actually) seeing Go Go Dancer being no. 1.

Go Go dancer don't deserve number one, but I completely agree with your point of view. The worst of all is that this shadow is even being thrown to her discography before L4L. Many critics to praise NFR and COCC said bad things about her earlier work and congratulated her for her evolution. Some things may not be as good or be a complete trash, but it's part of her artistry and who she is. You can't diminish that

2 minutes ago, evalionisameme said:

Tbf the released Lolita is a noisy mess , the production hurts my ears 

the superior version 

the bassline was the best part :facepalm:

3 hours ago, lamms said:

Stargirl Interlude deserved Dayglo Reflection‘s position. It’s her best feature work and we all know it’s true.

Hide contents

I wish I could feel myself on a daily basis as much as Lana was feeling herself in this video. Truly iconique :wowcry:

Hope as #1? I love the track, but bruh

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

14 hours ago, War In My Mind said:

I can forgive the guns and roses slander, but is this happiness at 109? im googling this reporters address at this very moment, i just want to talk

Is This Happiness? is a fine ass song. Definitely should've been up there.

Lolita should be at the bottom of the list everyone.

It's okay---- not amazing. When I listen to it I feel like a 12 year old .

2 hours ago, nothinggoldcanstay said:

Is This Happiness? is a fine ass song. Definitely should've been up there.

Lolita should be at the bottom of the list everyone.

It's okay---- not amazing. When I listen to it I feel like a 12 year old 

I’d rank quarter of lust for life as worse tbh, I do not think the issue is the song itself, the production was just ruined with too many elements and that Rick James scream

6 hours ago, slang said:

i honestly find it strange how often ldrakalg is downplayed, and i'm not just saying that because it's my favorite album by her, if you ever read an article about her and they mention ldrakalg, it's often regarded as a cheap, random album that isn't really a part of her discography, but it's a quality album produced by somebody who's worked with paul mccartney, regina spector, and stevie nicks, so it's not like he's some sort of random guy without credibility, the album itself may not have the most groundbreaking production but it's very diverse in it's sound which a lot of albums just don't do, and it's a valuable, quality album in it's own way, i understand not everyone is going to listen to every project she's ever made, especially if it was before fame, but i agree that it's really silly that they disregard everything she's made before video games

Glitter Graphics: the community for graphics enthusiasts!kendrick Longie (jaydon23longie) - Profile | Pinterest Fireworks - Jitter.Bug.girl, fireworks , glitter , gif - Free animated GIF  - PicMix

11 minutes ago, Surf Noir said:

i honestly find it strange how often ldrakalg is downplayed, and i'm not just saying that because it's my favorite album by her, if you ever read an article about her and they mention ldrakalg, it's often regarded as a cheap, random album that isn't really a part of her discography, but it's a quality album produced by somebody who's worked with paul mccartney, regina spector, and stevie nicks, so it's not like he's some sort of random guy without credibility, the album itself may not have the most groundbreaking production but it's very diverse in it's sound which a lot of albums just don't do, and it's a valuable, quality album in it's own way, i understand not everyone is going to listen to every project she's ever made, especially if it was before fame, but i agree that it's really silly that they disregard everything she's made before video games

Another thing that really bothers me is how so many journalists disregard her creative output prior to 2011 as “plain Lizzy Grant, a failed songwriter” which is incredibly offensive. Not only is “plain” somewhat suggestive of a negative connotation, but it’s also just not true LOL! LDRAKALG is an album full of personality, character, and motifs that have naturally evolved into her later albums. I remember in several interviews from 2011, Lana would very diplomatically defend the album and you could tell she was always a bit perturbed at journalists suggesting she was a different person who did this total 180 in image and sound. Very weird...

11 minutes ago, Surf Noir said:

I love LDR aka, it’s a great record and is an essential listen for me personally.

12 minutes ago, IanadeIrey said:

Another thing that really bothers me is how so many journalists disregard her creative output prior to 2011 as “plain Lizzy Grant, a failed songwriter” which is incredibly offensive. Not only is “plain” somewhat suggestive of a negative connotation, but it’s also just not true LOL! LDRAKALG is an album full of personality, character, and motifs that have naturally evolved into her later albums. I remember in several interviews from 2011, Lana would very diplomatically defend the album and you could tell she was always a bit perturbed at journalists suggesting she was a different person who did this total 180 in image and sound. Very weird...

they obviously didn't listen to the album or anything from that era if they label it as "plain" :eartha: queen of the gas station, jump, mermaid motel, & raise me up are very interesting and exciting lyrically, and that's just ldrakalg, trash magic, axl rose husband, elvis...etc. she was definitely not "plain" 

Glitter Graphics: the community for graphics enthusiasts!kendrick Longie (jaydon23longie) - Profile | Pinterest Fireworks - Jitter.Bug.girl, fireworks , glitter , gif - Free animated GIF  - PicMix