Elle

OPINIONS NEEDED: Advertisements

Vignette Ads  

176 members have voted

1. 1. Are the vignette ads tolerable?

• Yes, keep them.
    • No, remove them.

1 minute ago, 5adboy said:

enough with the ads :oprah2: everyone better change their vote from yes to no RIGHT NOW

3e631e754f78bb4b9603ed952c86e222b5c1c893

IT’S ALL A PLOY TO GET US TO FOLLOW ECLIPSE :ahhney:

I'm confused... Elle never said the site was gonna be $2 monthly. That was a proposed option for people who didn't want to go through the absolute ungodly burden (:creep:) of clicking close on an ad.

tumblr-offofn-R8-LN1qj7kyho1-640.gif

.・゜゜・ ⋆·˚ ༘ * GIVE PEACE A CHANCE  ˚ ༘ ⋆。˚ ・゜゜・.

39 minutes ago, 99centlips said:

$2 a month can be a lot for some of our international users..

this 

1.jpg  3.jpg  2.jpg 

The ads are annoying, but not so annoying that I can't click out of them.

I am willing to pay a small fee to disable them. 

I think guests should see the ads.

I would rather our regular members not have to experience the ads, or see them less frequently. 

Webhosting is really expensive and I really sympathise.

People complaining about them . . . you need to go outside for a second and remember how expensive it is to live lol.

Elle is basically paying $100 extra rent a month so we can shit post 24/7. :toofunny: Could you afford to do that? 

3lfQEhw.png

I don't think anyone thinks the pop up ads are 'intolerable' or 'unbearable' cuz that is dramatic af and kinda strawmanish. they are at most annoying and unreasonable, which is a good reason to not have them. if the money is necessary for keeping the site up that is one thing. if its some extra cash thats another thing. I will say, no other forum I use has pop up ads. 

edit- if this a basically a matter of if the pop up ad revenue is necessary for Elle to keep the site up, im confused what our opinions on ads are supposed to do?

i havent had any issues with them, i mean are they annoying? yes. but it seems as though the benefits (at least knowing the benefits now) outweigh that they are a minor inconvenience at worst. so id say keep them! especially if it’s a little less stress for you :]

also 2 dollars a month is super fair for not

getting any ads (although reading about international users i see how it could be an issue) 

but i agree with @takeitdoen on having guests have the pop up ads if anyone is to have them

Pearl-praying.webp?fit=300,200&ssl=1

gZ0f.gif

Waking up from my long winter's nap just so I can chime in on this...

I'm always pumping my fist for everyone that wants to make the most of what they got, some of my fellow LB bestie can attest to that. While I definitely understand that there are potential/needed financial gains and benefits behind that decision, I'm also all for efficiency and a smooth browsing experience. Alas, I feel like implementing pop up ads forever would kind of make the whole experience of browsing the website a little bumpy. Which in turn is going to be extra annoying when there is the slight tid bit of activity. 

11 minutes ago, urgirl said:

I don't think anyone thinks the pop up ads are 'intolerable' or 'unbearable' cuz that is dramatic af and kinda strawmanish. they are at most annoying and unreasonable, which is a good reason to not have them. if the money is necessary for keeping the site up that is one thing. if its some extra cash thats another thing. I will say, no other forum I use has pop up ads. 

edit- if this a basically a matter of if the pop up ad revenue is necessary for Elle to keep the site up, im confused what our opinions on ads are supposed to do?

Elle has loan payments to make for when she bought the site and when ads haven’t brought in enough money she’s put her own money into the site, as well as fees to keep the site online so while this may bring in a little extra money on the side for her, it’s unlikely. Plus the number of people who are giving money to the site is probably very low compared to other sites so that’s also a loss of money. 

the poll is to see what the general consensus is of the ones who use the site, she’s being fair and giving us the chance to discuss the changes instead of just permanently forcing it on us 

"Don’t forget me"

1 minute ago, Max said:

Alas, I feel like implementing pop up ads forever would kind of make the whole experience of browsing the website a little bumpy. Which in turn is going to be extra annoying when there is the slight tid bit of activity. 

so true bestie. i didn't even think about the moments when lana makes an announcement and there's high-traffic and 20+ pages are being added every minute. that could definitely get super annoying with ad pop-ups. :headache:

55-DE2-A0-B-B97-D-4347-B872-77-FA28787-E

miss born to lose

4 minutes ago, xxmissdaytonaxx said:

so true bestie. i didn't even think about the moments when lana makes an announcement and there's high-traffic and 20+ pages are being added every minute. that could definitely get super annoying with ad pop-ups. :headache:

also this

1.jpg  3.jpg  2.jpg 

I am also wondering what happens when and if the pop up add (add revenue x 5) revenue plus the $2/month anti pop up ad revenue plus the usual donation revenue all adds up to more or much much more than the monthly cost to keep the site up. Since no one except probably Elle knows what any of those 4 numbers are, no one except probably Elle can make the pop up ad revenue judgement.

3 minutes ago, urgirl said:

I am also wondering what happens when and if the pop up add (add revenue x 5) revenue plus the $2/month anti pop up ad revenue plus the usual donation revenue all adds up to more or much much more than the monthly cost to keep the cite up. Since no one except probably Elle knows what any of those 4 numbers are, no one except probably Elle can make the pop up ad revenue judgement 

Elle already said if the site started to do really well and she was doing okay financially she would remove the pop up ads. 

I like @Clampigirl’s suggestion of maybe keeping the full page pop ups to guests? Not sure if that’s possible.

I know I’ve been complaining ever since these full page pop ups started showing up but knowing why they’re being used helps put things in prospective 

"Don’t forget me"

I understand the reasoning @Elle so I voted to keep them. They are a bit annoying tbh, but I'm also willing to help out monthly. For as much as I use LBs, I think it's only fair to you. Thank you for keeping this hangout alive and kicking ?

OqqaAZJt.png     B4iWPK3.gif     OqqaAZJt.png

Okay I'm here to answer more questions and clear up some more things - some people have voiced my replies are sort of intimidating and may be keeping people from sharing there opinions, but please please please know I'm not intending to come off as any kind of way. I'm just doing my best to make sure everything is clear and understandable, so I may be coming off a little direct. I apologise if my replies have been a bit off-putting, as it was certainly not my intention x

1 hour ago, That Venice Bitch said:

I'm confused... Elle never said the site was gonna be $2 monthly. That was a proposed option for people who didn't want to go through the absolute ungodly burden (:creep:) of clicking close on an ad.

Yes, I just want to reiterate this. No one will ever be obligated to pay to use the site, ever. Ads have always been run in banner form, and donations have always been welcomed and appreciated. Now I'm just offering a little bit of an extra incentive to donate in exchange for no ads. But it will never be a requirement for users to pay x

1 hour ago, Diamantes WILD said:

we should totally expand and design site LDR merch. i have ideas :gasp:

I've definitely considered LanaBoards merch and have even spoken with people about ideas, but now I'm a bit hesitant to do any of that because I really don't want to seem like I'm dividing the site among users who can afford to purchase merch and those who cannot. But I'm welcome to more thoughts on this x

1 hour ago, urgirl said:

I will keep the site up regardless. That is nothing to worry about. If I have to pay out-of-pocket some months, I have always done so willingly. I don't want to seem like I'm complaining about a lack of support or anything, because I will always back LanaBoards no matter what the cost, and it is no one's obligation to fund the site except my own. I am glad and truly honoured to host this site for you all, and I will always continue to do so no matter what. The vignette ads have just greatly increased the site's revenue and would be a huge help of guaranteeing I make enough revenue to pay the site each month, and help pay off other site expenses I've accumulated a tab for that I've paid out of pocket. But if users really don't want vignette ads, I will not implement them and things will go back to as they were before. I only wanted to ask because this would be a great opportunity to generate some more revenue for the site, but I would not be fully comfortable doing so if I knew the majority of users would be bothered x

1 hour ago, May said:

idk if it would be considered *+*tacky*+* to talk about ur adsense earnings but maybe it would be better to lay out how much the vignette ads are actually helping, I know you said you’re making up to 5x as much on some days but 5x of what? and for comparison purposes how much does the site cost to run? 

maybe if some ppl knew just how much of ur own money ur having to put into the site to make up for the lack of adequate adsense earnings they would be more welcoming of the ads, bc as annoying as they are for me i can only imagine how much more annoying it must be to always be being held back financially by this site and i don’t see it being sustainable in the super long run for anyone who isn’t particularly rich. if ur not comfortable talking about it then just ignore this post lol

I will say, I'm a bit uncomfortable talking about Adsense so outright, so I'm going to put the following answers in a spoiler. I'm also just going to answer everything rather plainly and directly here, as money talk always makes me ~uncomfy~

Spoiler

[remove]

I also just wanted to say with all of this so it doesn't seem like I'm complaining or anything, I pay for this site willingly. It is my pleasure and honour to do so. It is also solely my responsibility, and I take it with stride. However, it is always nice and helpful for me when AdSense can cover all, or at least most, of the fees x

1 hour ago, urgirl said:

I am also wondering what happens when and if the pop up add (add revenue x 5) revenue plus the $2/month anti pop up ad revenue plus the usual donation revenue all adds up to more or much much more than the monthly cost to keep the site up. Since no one except probably Elle knows what any of those 4 numbers are, no one except probably Elle can make the pop up ad revenue judgement.

I have never pocketed any profit from the site, and again there are times when I have had to pay out of my own pocket when Adsense revenue has not covered the complete costs. Considering all the prior payments I've made for the site I have yet to pay off, it would probably be a long time until I were to ever profit money that could be used for non-site related expenses, and I have no intention of ever doing so. I don't own LanaBoards for the purpose of making profit, and if the day ever did come where I'm making more than what was needed for site-expenses, I could definitely turn off ads or limit them x

Hopefully this helps answer some questions, but please don't be hesitant to ask anything further below. I'm here to help clear up any confusions! x

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

@Elle i'm curious, do you make more if one of us clicks the ad? should we all do an ad clicking campaign just to give the site more revenue? i'm genuinely wondering if that would do anything bc believe me i'll do it i'll click every ad for like an hour if it gives you more ad revenue and keeps the site open

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole